American missionary killed by isolated tribe on remote island in the Indian Ocean

Status
Not open for further replies.
He was pushing his message and just because he has some message to share, doesn't mean his desire to do that outweighs the desire of someone else to not hear it at all.

There is a huge difference in pushing and telling. Just because you don’t want to hear it doesn’t mean anyone is pushing anything.

I believe he was a fool, and a pompous one at that. But may he rest in peace, and others learn from it.

A "calling" is definitely a decision. You make up your mind to do something, don't you?

Except he put all those people at risk of dying. That's not fine at all. It's selfish.

Anyone going there is a risk, as the native population has no immunity to any of the bacteria or viruses we have in our bodies.

It has all to do with ego. "I can do this..."

The Indian government protects the land from invasion. The peoples on the island rule themselves. They killed the guy so that he wouldn't spread his freakin' germs and kill them all. It was pretty much self defense.

Everyone has free will. But a calling isn’t a decision. It’s something you feel pressed upon to do. It’s not just a “woke up today and decided to do this” kind of thing.

If he was truly called, he would have said “I must do this”

Perhaps he became obsessed with these people and mistook it for a calling. I have no clue as I don’t know the young man nor what he felt.

I can't believe the things I read on this board sometimes. So much hate and disrespect. Also, I believe that a lot of people are bothered that he is pushing a "God" agenda. If he had a different religion or was coming to spread information about something else I bet the opinions wouldn't be that harsh. But this is pretty typical for 2018...

RIP John Chau. Peace and prayers to his family.

This is more like killing an unarmed Jahova's Witness that knocks on your door because you don't want to hear his message.

That's insane. A Jehovah's Witness (at least get the spelling right if you're going to try to use them as an example) isn't going to kill my family. This jerk would have likely murdered, through disease, countless members of the tribe.

I can't believe the things I read on this board sometimes. So much hate and disrespect. Also, I believe that a lot of people are bothered that he is pushing a "God" agenda. If he had a different religion or was coming to spread information about something else I bet the opinions wouldn't be that harsh. But this is pretty typical for 2018...

I don't care what his motive was, so no, my opinion of his actions wouldn't change even if his motives weren't religious ones. He had absolutely no business going there.

I don't care what his motive was, so no, my opinion of his actions wouldn't change even if his motives weren't religious ones. He had absolutely no business going there.
How do you feel about the millions that had no business entering the US? What should happen to them?

I'd be ridiculing this regardless of the religion (or non religion) he professed. Some of the stories claim he might not have had a religious agenda, but could have simply fancied himself as an adventurer - daring to do things that nobody else did. If he had been planning on this for three years, surely he had heard of projectiles being launched at aircraft and fishermen getting too close to the island being killed.

Not sure about that. There are still quite a few in the deep jungles of South America and Indonesia. However, most people stay out. I remember seeing some image of tribal members in some deep part of Brazil hurling spears at aircraft.

Not sure about what, them being the last pre-Neolithic tribe? I’m no anthropologist but I’ve seen that terminology used to describe them from multiple sources today.

There is a huge difference in pushing and telling. Just because you don’t want to hear it doesn’t mean anyone is pushing anything.
What language did he think he would even use to communicate? Did he expect them to speak English? Poorly considered plan to say the least.

I also find it deplorable that he waved money in front of poor fishermen to persuade them to get involved in transporting him. Now they’re facing charges and jail time and they and their families will have their lives turned upside down by this.

Everyone has free will. But a calling isn’t a decision. It’s something you feel pressed upon to do. It’s not just a “woke up today and decided to do this” kind of thing.

If he was truly called, he would have said “I must do this”

Perhaps he became obsessed with these people and mistook it for a calling. I have no clue as I don’t know the young man nor what he felt.

Huh. Same justification that terrorists use to kill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter