American missionary killed by isolated tribe on remote island in the Indian Ocean

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe him to be a martyr for the faith but we’re forbidden to talk religion here. May this young man Rest In Peace.

I believe him to be a martyr for the faith but we’re forbidden to talk religion here. May this young man Rest In Peace.
He is not a martyr but a criminal, one who paid with his life unfortunately. What he did was illegal as they are protected and contact with the tribes of these islands is banned for their protection. Those who took his life will not be prosecuted.

He was a missionary and this is what missionaries do. It’s not a decision for them, it is a calling. Was he understanding the calling? Maybe not. Or maybe it will take some time to know what comes out of his going to the island.

Either way, while I don’t pretend to understand why someone would feel they are called to do these things, I don’t have such a huge ego that I would call them stupid, foolish or arrogant.

Otoh, I understand why these people are protected while I seriously doubt they do since they haven’t truly been introduced to the outside world. They don’t kill because of whatever laws are in place.

The article states, though, that one ban on visiting the island was lifted at some point so calling him a criminal may not be the exact truth.

It seems he felt he needed to do this, as most missionaries must feel in order to do what they do. If he’d been planning this for three years, and had prior experience in nearby islands, he likely knew the risk of death was a real one. Should people go in for his body? I don’t think they should. Will they? Will they destroy this tribe and take over the land? Instead of leaving well enough alone, outsiders provoke trouble and then wipe out a culture due to the problem we created.

They don’t kill because of whatever laws are in place.
No they kill because their first encounter with outsiders led to illness and death of their tribe members. They destroy and bury /burn all "gifts" left from outsiders. They shoot at passing helicopters, planes and boats. And yes the missionary was arrogant in thinking that these people "maybe" open to hearing the word of god from him. If he'd done any history research or reading the tribe(s) on this island have made it VERY clear they want absolutely NO CONTACT with outside people. If they want contact they will attempt to contact us or at least maybe not shoot on sight.

Honestly this is clearly what a no win scenario looks like. It was illegal for him to even approach the island. Some much so that he was dropped in the water and then paddled the rest of the way to the island.
Ultimately free will always overrules a calling. Unfortunately retrieving the body is a privilege not a right.

The article states, though, that one ban on visiting the island was lifted at some point so calling him a criminal may not be the exact truth.

The article makes it clear that it's currently illegal to make contact with the tribe, with a penalty of up to three years in prison. Of course that's not going to be an issue.

No they kill because their first encounter with outsiders led to illness and death of their tribe members. They destroy and bury /burn all "gifts" left from outsiders. They shoot at passing helicopters, planes and boats. And yes the missionary was arrogant in thinking that these people "maybe" open to hearing the word of god from him. If he'd done any history research or reading the tribe(s) on this island have made it VERY clear they want absolutely NO CONTACT with outside people. If they want contact they will attempt to contact us or at least maybe not shoot on sight.

My reading of their situation is that they have scavenged various wreckage on the island. Of course that seemed to be limited to looking for metals to improve their weapons. Their weapons are likely primarily used for hunting and fishing.

It seems he felt he needed to do this, as most missionaries must feel in order to do what they do. If he’d been planning this for three years, and had prior experience in nearby islands, he likely knew the risk of death was a real one. Should people go in for his body? I don’t think they should. Will they? Will they destroy this tribe and take over the land? Instead of leaving well enough alone, outsiders provoke trouble and then wipe out a culture due to the problem we created.

He seemed to be a cross between a missionary and Indiana Jones.

My reading of their situation is that they have scavenged various wreckage on the island. Of course that seemed to be limited to looking for metals to improve their weapons. Their weapons are likely primarily used for hunting and fishing.
They have speared and buried pigs and a doll left on the beach. they may have kept the coconuts and metal. If they choose to scavenge wreckages that is their prerogative, it doesn't mean they want contact with outsiders, but have found a use for something left on their shores.

He was a missionary and this is what missionaries do. It’s not a decision for them, it is a calling. Was he understanding the calling? Maybe not. Or maybe it will take some time to know what comes out of his going to the island.

Either way, while I don’t pretend to understand why someone would feel they are called to do these things, I don’t have such a huge ego that I would call them stupid, foolish or arrogant.

Otoh, I understand why these people are protected while I seriously doubt they do since they haven’t truly been introduced to the outside world. They don’t kill because of whatever laws are in place.

1) He was arrogant enough to believe he was above the law.

2) He was arrogant enough to place his wants over the the well-being of an entire community of people. He placed 150 men, women, and children at risk of disease and death. His actions could result in the loss of the world’s last surviving pre-Neolithic tribe. A population that has managed to survive for 55,000 years could be wiped out because of his selfish choices.

3) He was arrogant enough to think he should push his religious beliefs onto people who expressed no interest in learning them.

If anyone in this discussion has a huge ego, it’s the missionary.

Also, the Sentinelese are not some lower life form of amoeba. They may not have the same experiences and knowledge as we do, just like we don’t have theirs, but they possess the same brains and capacity for intelligence you and I have. They most certainly understand the concept of disease, who brings it to them, and how to prevent it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter