Am I the only one underwhelmed by Riviera?

it is hard to emphasize enough how close Caribbean beach is to RIV. It felt on top of it. I had no idea it was that close. It really clashes with the theme and is actually disturbing. I had heard people say this but I thought they were just complaining—- I mean swan and dolphin are close to BWV and BCV. But they were right, this is a different kind of closeness and a huge fail. There are CB rooms that are closer to the RIV gondola station than RIV rooms. I felt like every time I looked out anywhere I saw CB, ugh.

I agree, Caribbean Beach is 'right there.' Parts of Caribbean Beach ARE as close or closer to the "Riviera's gondolas than Riviera itself. If you look on the map, you can also walk easily to some of the Caribbean Beach bus stops.

The doors to the common and room areas in Riviera need a magic band to open, apparently to keep it the CB people out. What about if they have a reservation at Topolino's? But the doors near the quick service restaurant weren't locked. I suppose people with reservations at Topolinos might come in the back, near the Boche courts and the quick service restaurant since that will also put them near the elevators to Topolinos

There has been quite a few posts about the lobby and people seeing it as a con

Honestly, just really curious, why this matters to others? I’ve never even paid that much attention to them, and don’t spend time in them.

I didn't mind the lobby personally, but I suspect it's not as massive as some other DVC lobbies are, so it's not as impressive in that aspect. Though there is something cool about seeing those expansive lobbies.

I’m glad those of you who didn’t purchase feel like it was the right decision for you. Why do you keep posting about it on multiple threads about how you’d NEVER buy?!? If you have to justify it over and over again, maybe you aren’t as happy with your decision as you think you are...

Furthermore, I don’t know that anyone who is debating buying into ANY resort should take others’ words for it on why they should or shouldn’t buy in. Check it out for yourself, run the numbers, and decide if it’s right for you and your family. Gathering info is one thing, but there needs to be a limit to that. What’s right for me/my family may not be right for you and vice versa.

For instance, I love BLT, and I think it’s one of the best resorts on property. I really didn’t like AKV or Poly and will probably never stay at either again. I think “Disney theming” in the resorts is sometimes cheesy and unauthentic. That doesn’t make me right or wrong because that’s my opinion. To each his/her own. I don’t bash AKV or Poly on multiple forums because NO ONE CARES what I think if they like those resorts. There’s something to be learned there.

I’m glad those of you who didn’t purchase feel like it was the right decision for you. Why do you keep posting about it on multiple threads about how you’d NEVER buy?!? If you have to justify it over and over again, maybe you aren’t as happy with your decision as you think you are...

Furthermore, I don’t know that anyone who is debating buying into ANY resort should take others’ words for it on why they should or shouldn’t buy in. Check it out for yourself, run the numbers, and decide if it’s right for you and your family. Gathering info is one thing, but there needs to be a limit to that. What’s right for me/my family may not be right for you and vice versa.

For instance, I love BLT, and I think it’s one of the best resorts on property. I really didn’t like AKV or Poly and will probably never stay at either again. I think “Disney theming” in the resorts is sometimes cheesy and unauthentic. That doesn’t make me right or wrong because that’s my opinion. To each his/her own. I don’t bash AKV or Poly on multiple forums because NO ONE CARES what I think if they like those resorts. There’s something to be learned there.

negativity about RIV 2 fold:

1) there is an idea that you can manipulate enough people to not buy RIV in order to get disney to reverse course on the restrictions. This is impossible. Many of the negative comments are actually proxy arguments such as theming, skyliner performance, etc. But deep inside they are angry about the cost and the restrictions, but these alone may not deter enough people to achieve the objective.

2) Referencing number 1, there is a trend in the world where you go online and you pound a message until others cave in and stop opposing you. But the opposition goes quiet and ends up doing what they were going to do anyway, but not just saying it outspokenly. It might be better to say RIV is terrible online, but buy it anyway so to avoid the message board pounding...

I cant recall any other DVC resort getting killed so badly by proxy arguments as much as RIV. But I do get it, it is a change in the DVC program and certainly a more expensive one. But arguing for cheaper Disney vacations is like cavemen yelling at the dark each night when the sun goes down...

Agree on the underwhelming nature of the hotel. Lobby was small and sterile. Walking through the archway from the skyliner - what was the artwork supposed to represent? I mean I guess that "Riviera" as a theme could invoke some vague general European-ness but it's a specific region and I'm not sure what Peter Pan or Tangled has to do with that region.

It’s a flight theme. In Peter Pan the kids are flying, the Tangled one is the floating (flying?) lanterns. That’s why it’s by the Skyliner.

negativity about RIV 2 fold:

1) there is an idea that you can manipulate enough people to not buy RIV in order to get disney to reverse course on the restrictions. This is impossible. Many of the negative comments are actually proxy arguments such as theming, skyliner performance, etc. But deep inside they are angry about the cost and the restrictions, but these alone may not deter enough people to achieve the objective.

2) Referencing number 1, there is a trend in the world where you go online and you pound a message until others cave in and stop opposing you. But the opposition goes quiet and ends up doing what they were going to do anyway, but not just saying it outspokenly. It might be better to say RIV is terrible online, but buy it anyway so to avoid the message board pounding...

I cant recall any other DVC resort getting killed so badly by proxy arguments as much as RIV. But I do get it, it is a change in the DVC program and certainly a more expensive one. But arguing for cheaper Disney vacations is like cavemen yelling at the dark each night when the sun goes down...

I must speak up about this comment.

I cannot comment for others- but I set up the thread- and could not believe how underwhelming the resort was- for reasons given- nothing to do with restrictions. I even said Reflections may give me a dilemma based on the artwork. But RIV? Maybe it is getting hammered by 'proxy' as you put it because it really is quite a disappointment to a lot of people? SSR gets hammered on a daily basis, no one seems to say that is by proxy or object.

Personally I think Riv will in 10 years be seen toward the bottom end of the DVC desirability scale, but that is only my opinion, and I am sure others do love it. There is a DVC resort for everyone, but comments saying that people offering an opinion on why they are not enamoured with RIV means they only have some ulterior motive, or that they should not be doing it, seems strangely defensive to me and comes back to what others were indicating earlier in the thread- for some reason there seems to be a desire to shut down RIV criticism and honest opinion. It is no surprise to me the poster quoted above owns at RIV and has gone on the defensive about it on multiple threads.

I am a bit surprised by this comment. Why do you care if others dislike RIV? One of our contracts is with SSR. I personally like SSR. We prefer “empty” resorts with lots of space and walking. But most other people seem to hate it. Really, really hate it. I actually like that people hate it because I feel like more for us— lol.
For me (cannot speak for others), I have commented on RIV because I hate to see dvc “downsizing.” I love dvc and want to walk into every resort and say wow. We are staying at boulder ridge right now and the public space here compared to RIV is tenfold. Breathtaking. Just bums me out that dvc is putting out less effort. I do not expect everyone to have the same opinion I do! I do think RIV is gorgeous and I like the theming more than I thought I would, but Disney cut back with this resort: no community hall, small lobby, no extra space to relax (that library area was PACKED and also too small), quick service too small, pool too small, too close to other properties and not enough landscaping to help buffer that closeness. We also would like to buy some more direct points for flexibility, and it annoys me that I am not tempted by RIV. If you purchased RIV and are happy, who cares what others think! In fact, for your own use, you are better off with it not being trendy. I do think it is trendy though. Other dvc owners with whom we have spoken over the last week all want to stay there.

Last edited:

I cannot comment for others- but I set up the thread- and could not believe how underwhelming the resort was- for reasons given- nothing to do with restrictions. I even said Reflections may give me a dilemma based on the artwork. But RIV? Maybe it is getting hammered by 'proxy' as you put it because it really is quite a disappointment to a lot of people? SSR gets hammered on a daily basis, no one seems to say that is by proxy or object.

Personally I think Riv will in 10 years be seen toward the bottom end of the DVC desirability scale, but that is only my opinion, and I am sure others do love it. There is a DVC resort for everyone, but comments saying that people offering an opinion on why they are not enamoured with RIV means they only have some ulterior motive, or that they should not be doing it, seems strangely defensive to me and comes back to what others were indicating earlier in the thread- for some reason there seems to be a desire to shut down RIV criticism and honest opinion. It is no surprise to me the poster quoted above owns at RIV and has gone on the defensive about it on multiple threads.

I also think a lot of Riviera's criticism comes from their expectations of the resort. It is a DVC only resort and on the smaller side. Most went into it thinking it was going to be a large resort like typical DVC resorts with a grand lobby. But that doesn't seem to be Disney's plan from the get go. Its smaller. It does not have a non DVC side like all the other hotels. Is it about the same size room wise as the Beach Club Villa Building or Bay lake Towers building? Non of those have massive lobbies. Though they might not because the hotel side does have larger lobbies. I think its fair to criticize any DVC hotel. Especially when in this Post where the title gives way that this post is to talk about the downsides of Riviera. I like Riviera a lot but I'm not going to sit here and act like its perfect either. The lobby should have been bigger and they should have themed the grounds more. These 2 things if Disney corrected them would Make Riviera much more appealing to most. The room View Category is also a problem in my opinion. They need to incorporate Epcot view, Pool view, and Hollywood Studios View into the categories. Other than that though, The rooms are really really nice and big. Especially the Deluxe Studios following Poly and the Grand Floridian with 2 showers. They are in the top 3 I believe in Deluxe Studio size sq feet. The Murphy bed in the wall is a massive improvement over the pull out sofa beds. Being on the Skyliner loop while not as great of a perk now could be huge in the future, especially with the expected expansion of the Skyliner that we all know will come since its very efficient, cost effective and safer and also greener than busses. The Resale restrictions are the biggest criticism though of all, with people not wanting a thing to do with them, which is perfectly fair since they don't benefit buyers at all and only Disney. Just my thoughts as someone split 50-50 on Riviera and Copper Creek at the moment! :)

I am a bit surprised by this comment. Why do you care if others dislike RIV? One of our contracts is with SSR. I personally like SSR. We prefer “empty” resorts with lots of space and walking. But most other people seem to hate it. Really, really hate it. I actually like that people hate it because I feel like more for us— lol.
For me (cannot speak for others), I have commented on RIV because I hate to see dvc “downsizing.” I love dvc and want to walk into every resort and say wow. We are staying at boulder ridge right now and the public space here compared to RIV is tenfold. Breathtaking. Just bums me out that dvc is putting out less effort. I do not expect everyone to have the same opinion I do! I do think RIV is gorgeous and I like the theming more than I thought I would, but Disney cut back with this resort: no community hall, small lobby, no extra space to relax (that library area was PACKED and also too small), quick service too small, pool too small, too close to other properties and not enough landscaping to help buffer that closeness. We also would like to buy some more direct points for flexibility, and it annoys me that I am not tempted by RIV. If you purchased RIV and are happy, who cares what others think! In fact, for your own use, you are better off with it not being trendy. I do think it is trendy though. Other dvc owners with whom we have spoken over the last week all want to stay there.

I wasn’t saying I care what others think. I’m getting tired of the same people posting the same things on multiple threads. They don’t come up with original thoughts on different threads. It’s the same complaints from the same handful of posters across multiple threads.

I wasn’t saying I care what others think. I’m getting tired of the same people posting the same things on multiple threads. They don’t come up with original thoughts on different threads. It’s the same complaints from the same handful of posters across multiple threads.

I do know what you mean. I feel that way about other topics. I guess that’s just how people are. They like to discuss things over and over. I wouldn’t worry about it. RIV is selling quite well. And it is a beautiful resort. My dh said he felt like he was on the set of dirty rotten scoundrels (one of our favorite movies).

We walked through it on our last trip in Jan and were surprised at the small lobby. We have been in the model rooms and had a waitlist to stay that never came through. We want to try it out because the rooms look great. We won't know how we like till we stay there. One thing I noticed was that it felt very public, maybe it was because we were there looking around and didn't actually belong there. I think Disney is doing a good job offering different themed resorts, it gives us all a choice.

SSR gets hammered all the time. Disney tore down CBR hotel buildings to build RIV. Of course the hotel is going to be close to other CBR buildings. After the SSR refurbishment is done I think the rooms will be in the top 3 DVC resorts at WDW. It might change some people’s minds, but others will not like the open hallways and size of the resort. I personally find SSR open hallways make for much more peaceful rooms. When people walk down enclosed hallways you can hear everything in the rooms. I find SSR to be the quietest, relaxing DVC resort.

SSR gets hammered all the time. Disney tore down CBR hotel buildings to build RIV. Of course the hotel is going to be close to other CBR buildings. After the SSR refurbishment is done I think the rooms will be in the top 3 DVC resorts at WDW. It might change some people’s minds, but others will not like the open hallways and size of the resort. I personally find SSR open hallways make for much more peaceful rooms. When people walk down enclosed hallways you can hear everything in the rooms. I find SSR to be the quietest, relaxing DVC resort.
I own SSR but my favourite is Boardwalk and WL. But I also love BLT- even though it is similar to RIv- because of its connections to Contemporary and proximity to MK. I have been critical of SSR with its poor rooms- saying they are run down and I will not stay there until sorted. However, I agree with you- the new rooms are some of the best on property (the best on property rooms are RIVs- I have said that and that is a huge plus). . People will still hate on SSR because it is spread out and not near a park- exactly why I love it. I am happy to read constant criticism of SSR (I read one person say once it was below a value) but I don't get upset or try to shut it down, even though we read the same things over and over again about SSR- and some of the things- rooms, in particular I agreed with. How many times do we hear it described as a condo or retirement community? So what.
Back to Riv though, it is genuinely a resort which seems to divide opinion, possibly more than most resorts save for SSR itself. It seems to have real fans but people who are very underwhelmed by it and somewhat disappointed. Aside from SSR I am struggling to think of a resort which has so much love and so much negativity at the same time. Some of the negativity is down to resale restrictions, but there are a lot of people who are just underwhelmed and I am glad that we have been able to discuss both sides of the coin on this thread. Fred's post seems to have upset some- I would suggest his post is an excellent critique of what he foudn wrong- having stayed- and how disappointed he was.
As I think I said earlier in the thread, I really was looking forward to staying there and very excited as I set off on my visit to see it on the 21 December, thinking I'd be left with a desire to buy and be conflicted with the restrictions. I still expect that with Reflections- hopefully I will not be underwhelmed twice, but I think that one will probably deliver.

For those that want to stay positive and talk about Riviera. I propose they post in this thread

- https://www.disboards.com/threads/the-official-‘waiting-for-riviera-owners-info-thread.3755767/

Not to hijack your thread Wakey! :) Everyone that is tired of Riviera's criticism should kinda realize that's what your thread was started for. To talk about their thoughts on Riviera. So if you want a more positive vibe I suggest posting more in the Riviera Owners thread. I find nothing wrong with people voicing their opinions while positive or negative!

For those that want to stay positive and talk about Riviera. I propose they post in this thread

- https://www.disboards.com/threads/the-official-‘waiting-for-riviera-owners-info-thread.3755767/

Not to hijack your thread Wakey! :) Everyone that is tired of Riviera's criticism should kinda realize that's what your thread was started for. To talk about their thoughts on Riviera. So if you want a more positive vibe I suggest posting more in the Riviera Owners thread. I find nothing wrong with people voicing their opinions while positive or negative!

Good suggestion! This thread was meant as a serious critique of Riviera - good and bad. I had read a lot of positive things about Riviera which did not match up to my or any of my families' experience when we visited- I wondered if we were in the minority or I was missing something- that is why I asked the question. I have been interested in both positive and negative experiences reported here. I do not want the thread to be a " knocking Riviera because I just dislike the restrictions " thread (which it does not appear to have been) or a Riviera is great and stop giving your honest opinion thread (which it has not been either). I would like to think of it as a balanced thread, and it certainly seems to have been so far, so I agree, if you want to only read good things about Riviera, go to the owners thread as those are always generally positive about the resort.
I would like to read continued experiences of people who have stayed- particularly non owners- as they are likely to be unbiased- they liked it enough to give it a try, but are not yet invested in the property, which can cloud all of our judgments on all of our home resorts. Really I want someone to pursuade me to change my mind, and give it a go one day, as those who have seen my posts may have noticed, I like to sleep around all resorts in 1 beds, but cannot currently justify Riviera in my mind or my families' mind.

Last edited:
Good suggestion! This thread was meant as a serious critique of Riviera - good and bad. I had read a lot of positive things about Riviera which did not match up to my or any of my families' experience when we visited- I wondered if we were in the minority or I was missing something- that is why I asked the question. I have been interested in both positive and negative experiences reported here. I do not want the thread to be a " knocking Riviera because I just dislike the restrictions " thread (which it does not appear to have been) or a Riviera is great and stop giving your honest opinion thread (which it has not been either). I would like to think of it as a balanced thread, and it certainly seems to have been so far, so I agree, if you want to only read good things about Riviera, go to the owners thread as those are always generally positive about the resort.
I would like to read continued experiences of people who have stayed- particularly non owners- as they are likely to be unbiased- they liked it enough to give it a try, but are not yet invested in the property, which can cloud all of our judgments on all of our home resorts. Really I want someone to pursuade me to change my mind, and give it a go one day, as those who have seen my posts may have noticed, I like to sleep around all resorts in 1 beds, but cannot currently justify Riviera in my mind or my families' mind.
I totally agree.

So for my wife and I's experience at Riviera before we started reading on Riviera on these boards.

We were at Epcot and tired in the afternoon, the wife wanted to try the Skyliner, I've been super resistant on it since it broke down for how many hours months ago. We walked over to the Epcot station and thought, wow this is so nice. So what the Heck lets try it. So we got in and I was pretty amazed by it. It was breazy, cool, only a total of 4 people in the cabin. Great views of Epcot and Riviera and Caribbean Beach. I personally really like CBR, especially with the new lobby, it smells amazing. People complain about the lesser theming at Riviera but then complain about looking at CBR which I think is themed wonderfully. Can't please them all because its categorized as a "Moderate" so instantly some look down on it. Anyway it wasn't too bumpy or hot at all like we expected it might be. What I was shocked by was how efficient it was. We got from Epcot to Riviera in 7 minutes... WHOA. Now I love the monorails don't get me wrong but this is pretty amazing. Maybe its because the monorails are looking pretty old and some have a smell to them but the skyliner is pretty impressive. Not to mention no standing on these either like on busses or the Monorail. It gets me wondering how easy Strollers will be when we bring our kids in a few years. After we got off we walked around Riviera. This was a couple days after christmas so decorations were still up and it was very pretty. You hear french or italian(i think it was french music playing) and its just so peaceful. Primo Piatto looked very nice and we really liked the pool alot. The slide looks very cool!

We walked around the lobby which isn't huge but is a nice size for this size of DVC only resort. I believe they made the lobby smaller because the patio area outside is meant to be part of the lobby type of area. I have started calling Riviera the French Quarter of DVC since its smaller and more contained and quaint like FQ is. I know some don't like the theming outside and that it doesn't fall inline with Universals Portofino Bay Hotel but I believe they wanted it to look closer to Epcot's France Pavilion. Portofino Bay seems more italian that Riviera is supposed to be. We grabbed some drinks at the Mug refill station at Primo Piatto and sat by the water at a table with an umbrella by the quite pool and just relaxed and watched the skyliner go by. My thoughts then was this is a very nice resort we'd love to own here. The skyliner if expanded upon could be huge.

As told by Mickey Blog Here:
- https://mickeyblog.com/2019/11/13/examining-the-future-of-the-disney-skyliner/

For those that want a "Epcot" DVC with a long expiration date, this is it guys. 7 minute gondola ride to Epcot and the Boardwalk area. Thats huge. I for one had no desire buying BCV or BWV thought I absolutely love them but hate the 2042 date. This is as good as it gets really. Especially if they expand the skyliner to Disney Springs, the Water Parks or AK? Look out Monorail.

Just my thoughts.

There are a lot of people who are desperately trying to find things not to like about RIV hoping that sales tank and Disney will reverse their resale restrictions. Well both Dec and Jan sales were way better than I thought they would be. I think that ship has sailed and the restrictions are here to stay. I am going in May and plan on checking out RIV to see what I think of the place. Right now my only issue is the high points per nite, which compared to AKL (one of my home resorts) is quite an eye opener. However, once I go scope it out, we will see if my wife and I get the WOW factor.

There are a lot of people who are desperately trying to find things not to like about RIV hoping that sales tank and Disney will reverse their resale restrictions. Well both Dec and Jan sales were way better than I thought they would be. I think that ship has sailed and the restrictions are here to stay. I am going in May and plan on checking out RIV to see what I think of the place. Right now my only issue is the high points per nite, which compared to AKL (one of my home resorts) is quite an eye opener. However, once I go scope it out, we will see if my wife and I get the WOW factor.
I honestly think Riviera is selling well because its the only Epcot DVC Resort that has a long expiration Date. BWV BCV both expire 2042, Riviera is 2070. I think what you are seeing is younger people or those that have been waiting for a longer expiration date Epcot area one to hand down to their kids and Riviera is it. Those wanting a MK DVC with a long expiration date have had Poly, CCV, and VGF and even BLT all good of 2060, 2062, 2066, and 2068.

There certainly is a lot to take in from this whole thread! We've been DVC members from the beginning, and love it. But as we have certainly learned over the years, folks have their favorites and the ones they don't need to stay at. And that's all a good thing! Our favorite is easily AKL. We love it. Others hate it. And I'm glad for that - it means when I want to get a room there, we usually can!! It's not sold out!

But having seen Riviera for the first time last month, I don't think it's for us. The expense of the points, the point charts (seem much higher than most other DVC locations), the new restrictions, and the feel of the place just don't do it for us. But I certainly hope people buy there and that it's successful. Who knows, maybe we'll try a night or two at some point if we can get a room with our current points at 7 months. Then I'll get a much better indication of what we like and don't like there. But for now, it won't be a priority to stay there - along with a couple other WDW locations that we don't like as much as AKL, BC, and OKW. Just our personal experiences and preferences. We all got 'em!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter