Am I the only one underwhelmed by Riviera?

More than a few have compared it to a nice business hotel but I have never come across one like it in my many many years of business travel across the US, staying at all the major business orientated brands.

Now I have not seen it in person yet so my opinions may change but I've never run across a Marriott that looks like this...or maybe the cheap companies I worked for just always picked the most generic one!?

Riviera is kind of the Rorschach test of DVC resorts where some folks see butterflies when they look at it while others see monsters. Though based on the various threads I've read, I think the butterflies crowd outnumbers the monsters people by a good margin.

Having recently both visited and stayed at Riviera, I would have to agree that I don't see anything of substance in these types of comments. But I guess I'm a butterfly person.

I stay at a lot of hotels, but the reason I bought into DVC was special hotels. I mean, where else can you see giraffes outside your room, or watch fireworks from your BLT balcony? It's incredible to me that my cheap Saratoga springs can get me a hotel room in the middle of a zoo.

To me, RIV looks like a nice business hotel that could be anywhere. It could be in Munich or Buenos Aires in dozens of nice hotels chains.

I do like the new room choices, to maximize revenue of course -- I don't even mind that it's more expensive, that makes sense to me. But this hotel has no wow factor. If I'm going to book a business hotel, I'll just stay at the Good Neighbor Best Western for half the price.

I've toured the Riv. and but haven't stayed. I just don't think it fits what I want or need-except down the road the 2 person rooms are a bit intriguing. I think you are spot on with your assessment...I might even add BOOM GOES THE DYNAMITE! I just don't see the benefit of $188 a point when I can buy a DVC resale for around $100 a point, get more points, and drink coffee while seeing a Giraffee.

I have about 40 to 50 years left on Spaceship Earth-and if I could only ever stay in the "classic" DVC resorts I don't think that's a bad thing.

I've toured the Riv. and but haven't stayed. I just don't think it fits what I want or need-except down the road the 2 person rooms are a bit intriguing. I think you are spot on with your assessment...I might even add BOOM GOES THE DYNAMITE! I just don't see the benefit of $188 a point when I can buy a DVC resale for around $100 a point, get more points, and drink coffee while seeing a Giraffee.

I have about 40 to 50 years left on Spaceship Earth-and if I could only ever stay in the "classic" DVC resorts I don't think that's a bad thing.

Which is why having so many DVC resorts to choose as a home base is a great thing!

I really believe that anyone who wants to own DVC can find one that checks all the boxes for them!

We rode the Skyliner for our first time yesterday. We were at DS, and per our bus drivers suggestion, when leaving, we took Caribbean Beach bus back to Aruba and boarded there. Interestingly, the CB bus entered the Riviera entrance, so we got a look at its grounds. We both think we would like to stay in Riviera to try the resort, but will not buy points there. The Skyliner went perfectly, they boarded and unloaded us from a stopped position. The Epcot terminal is so convenient!

I am definitely not underwhelmed by Riviera, congratulations all owners. Enjoy you home, whether its an additional one or your only. I am glad we can book it, and hope to stay there in 2021.

We would never buy there but we are staying in a preferred view studio for 4 nights in two weeks. Got it for around $380 with AP discount on Presidents day week. Looking forward to it just for something new.

We rode the Skyliner for our first time yesterday. We were at DS, and per our bus drivers suggestion, when leaving, we took Caribbean Beach bus back to Aruba and boarded there. Interestingly, the CB bus entered the Riviera entrance, so we got a look at its grounds. We both think we would like to stay in Riviera to try the resort, but will not buy points there. The Skyliner went perfectly, they boarded and unloaded us from a stopped position. The Epcot terminal is so convenient!

I am definitely not underwhelmed by Riviera, congratulations all owners. Enjoy you home, whether its an additional one or your only. I am glad we can book it, and hope to stay there in 2021.

I think the bus takes that route to avoid the additional traffic lights at Victory Way. If I recall correctly, the Riviera entrance is where CB’s entrance used to be. Now it’s off Victory Way, I think before the Pop entrance. Glad you got to experience the skyliner. I love how it’s so quiet and love seeing the BoardWalk Villas from that perspective. Watching the workers trying to get Rattitoue done at world showcase is fun too. Enjoy the rest of your trip.

Hi Lisa!!! It's been a loooong time! I hope all is well! So good to stumble across a familiar name - we had great conversations!

Hi Amy! :goodvibes Wonderful to see your post. I just recently read "I'm Beginning to Think You're Selling Drugs". Fine times! :rotfl2:
Hope you're doing well.

Do you have a Riviera stay booked?

My gripe with Riviera is they should have added a third view classification of Theme Park View just like BLT to guarantee those firework views.

:thumbsup2

New. Nice. But as a hotel/resort it isn't nicer than say a nice Sheraton, Hilton, or similar hotel. And the Riviera seemed to be neither very 'Disney' nor very European. The fact that they might play European language Disney movies soundtrack songs in the background, and name s few restaurants with European names DOESN'T make it European.

The 4 biggest things going for it are the newness, the fact that it is within Disney World, the nice views, and the Skyliner gondola. There was also very good, friendly customer service, but you get that at other places in Disney World, too. For 'class' atmosphere and convenience, I think other Disney Vacation Club resorts, such as BOARDWALK or Grand Floridian have much better atmosphere, convenience, and much more to offer. I think Bay Lake Tower/Contemporary is also nicer and has more to offer. I also own DVC at Polynesian, which is NOT my favorite, but our family agreed they much prefer it to Riviera. One of my adult daughters kept asking why we weren't staying at Animal Kingdom instead, and our whole family agreed we will probably never come back to Riviera. There are just too many nicer places to stay at Disney World.

Last year, I was planning to buy DVC at Riviera, but I'm very glad I didn't.

I thought the food at Topolino's was overpriced and decent, but not spectacular. California Grille at The Contemporary is much better. The Riviera quick service restaurant, Primo Piatto had 2 or 3 good things, total, on the menu, including personal pizza and a breakfast platter with Italian sausage, but certainly was nothing special.

The view from our balcony out over the lake and Caribbean Beach was nice, but the gondolas were one of the biggest plusses at Riviera, yet you can also get the same gondolas by staying at Caribbean Beach or Pop Century / Art of Animation. In fact, one section of Caribbean Beach was as close or even closer to 'our' gondolas than we were. Anyway, I don't think you would 'regret' staying at Riviera, but if you never get the chance, don't eat your heart out. You aren't missing much.

We stayed in a Preferred View room, Room 8330 in the west wing. I will attach a picture from our balcony.Riviera Rm 8339a.jpgRiviera Rm 8339b.jpg

More than a few have compared it to a nice business hotel but I have never come across one like it in my many many years of business travel across the US, staying at all the major business orientated brands.

Now I have not seen it in person yet so my opinions may change but I've never run across a Marriott that looks like this...or maybe the cheap companies I worked for just always picked the most generic one!?

I have stayed in a lot of hotels with a similar lobby vibe in the UK- but often much more impressive. Google 'London Hotel Lobby' and click on the photos tab, and you will see some that look very similar to Riviera- but a lot nicer.

I should tell people that our Preferred View Studio had a small refrigerator with a freezer compartment. 4 coffee mugs, 4 small square dishes, 4 glasses, 4 butter knives, 4 teaspoons and 4 forks. In a 5 person room.

NOW HERE IS A MINOR, BUT IMPORTANT POINT - there were no sharp knives and the butter knives did not have any serrations on them whatsoever, so you CANNOT use them to cut ANYTHING.

Why did they choose butter knives without serrations? We ordered stuff to make sandwiches, and this included tomatoes and pickles and other things. Try cutting a ripe tomato with a bar of steel. I ENDED UP GOING ONTO AMAZON.COM and ordering a sharp knife with 2 day delivery time, so we could actually use some of our food.

As I said in a previous message, after my stay in Riviera, I have absolutely no particular desire to stay there again. I am much more likely to choose Boardwalk where the points are considerably less, the hotel is nicer, it is closer to the action, and there are a whole lot more things going on, not to mention a nice selection of much better restaurants in the area. Or Bay Lake Tower where even Lake View rooms are considerably nicer view, and significantly less points. Not to mention Grand Floridian, which REALLY has Riviera beat.

I thought I wanted to buy Riviera a year ago (until Disney started jacking everyone around), but now I am glad I didn't. If I had purchased Riviera points, I would just be making plans, from now on, to rent them out to all the people who think they want to stay there, and are willing to pay a premium to do it.

After letting everything settle for a few days, I really feel like the best advantage Riviera has, is the gondola, and that isn't saying much. You can get the gondola by staying at Caribbean Beach or AOA/Pop Century, for considerably less money.

I have stayed in a lot of hotels with a similar lobby vibe in the UK- but often much more impressive. Google 'London Hotel Lobby' and click on the photos tab, and you will see some that look very similar to Riviera- but a lot nicer.
I agree, many folks who post here seem to think Disney/DVC accommodations are the most deluxe hotels one can find when in fact, for the most part, they're pretty average. If some of the DVC rooms I've stayed in were as nice as a "business" hotel, I would be very happy indeed!

I agree, many folks who post here seem to think Disney/DVC accommodations are the most deluxe hotels one can find when in fact, for the most part, they're pretty average. If some of the DVC rooms I've stayed in were as nice as a "business" hotel, I would be very happy indeed!

I think DVC hotels have a certain something in fairness- its the atmosphere, that is hard to beat. I stay in some nice places, on my business, and on vacation all over the world, and to be honest, I like Boardwalk, Wilderness Lodge and others better than any hotel I have ever stayed in on business even though not as delxue so to speak. Then again, even the high end business hotels cost about the same or less as DVC cash so DVC should be good. Despite some failings now and again there is a good attention to detail at Disney Hotels.

Hi Amy! :goodvibes Wonderful to see your post. I just recently read "I'm Beginning to Think You're Selling Drugs". Fine times! :rotfl2:
Hope you're doing well.

Do you have a Riviera stay booked?

Yay! So glad to chat with you again! All is well here, I got remarried two years ago and we just purchased DVC (I had to sell it before because of the divorce) and Riviera is our home resort. We do have a quick weekend booked over Labor Day so I'm really excited to check it out and stay there!

How are you doing? I'm going to have to go back and reread "I'm Beginning to Think You're Selling Drugs." It's been so long!

I think DVC hotels have a certain something in fairness- its the atmosphere, that is hard to beat.
There's no doubt about that, they do offer the entire WDW resort experience which I agree is quite independent from comparing any one individual aspect of a DVC resort to an offsite hotel, as nice as that offsite hotel might be.

My favorite DVC hotel doesn't have the nicest rooms I've ever been in, can't walk to a park from it, doesn't have the greatest pool, and the onsite dining choices aren't especially outstanding. Still, it has that certain je ne sais quoi that seems to keep me a happy and satisfied returning customer year after year!

I should tell people that our Preferred View Studio had a small refrigerator with a freezer compartment. 4 coffee mugs, 4 small square dishes, 4 glasses, 4 butter knives, 4 teaspoons and 4 forks. In a 5 person room.

NOW HERE IS A MINOR, BUT IMPORTANT POINT - there were no sharp knives and the butter knives did not have any serrations on them whatsoever, so you CANNOT use them to cut ANYTHING.

Why did they choose butter knives without serrations? We ordered stuff to make sandwiches, and this included tomatoes and pickles and other things. Try cutting a ripe tomato with a bar of steel. I ENDED UP GOING ONTO AMAZON.COM and ordering a sharp knife with 2 day delivery time, so we could actually use some of our food.

Are you saying that the studio had real plates and utensils and not paper and plastic? If you needed plates for your fifth person a call to housekeeping should have taken care of that. At the condiment counter at the quick service they have silverware wrapped in cloth napkins. Although I don’t know if they were serrated or not, but I would have borrowed one from there. We stayed in a one bedroom at Riviera, but every studio we’ve stayed in always has plastic utensils, but a real can opener and cork screw, never a pointy knife.

I thought Topolinos was reasonably priced for Disney but I don’t think it is worthy of two dining credits. Next time we will pay out of pocket with the DVC discount. The outside patio was really something. I wish they would have made it a little different to accommodate people staying there to view fireworks, similar to BLT.

Yay! So glad to chat with you again! All is well here, I got remarried two years ago and we just purchased DVC (I had to sell it before because of the divorce) and Riviera is our home resort. We do have a quick weekend booked over Labor Day so I'm really excited to check it out and stay there!

How are you doing? I'm going to have to go back and reread "I'm Beginning to Think You're Selling Drugs." It's been so long!

Congratulations on the Riviera contract Amy! That's wonderful. Enjoy.

Can't wait to hear what you think after your initial stay there.

I will PM you.

We finally walked through RIV. Been at wdw about a week. We thought it was gorgeous, but... so small. The lobby was puny with low ceilings and seemed like an extra lobby, as if the main lobby was elsewhere— except that puny lobby was the main lobby. The lobby also had about 6 Disney managers standing around watching everyone, so not sure what was going on there. The quick serve was packed and there were long lines and not enough tables, even though the resort itself did not seem particularly crowded. The main pool is SMALL. Everything seemed inappropriately sized. Not enough public space at all. The resort looked and felt much different in person than it did in the renderings. It was prettier but also more underwhelming. It is hard to emphasize enough how close Caribbean beach is to RIV. It felt on top of it. I had no idea it was that close. It really clashes with the theme and is actually disturbing. I had heard people say this but I thought they were just complaining—- I mean swan and dolphin are close to BWV and BCV. But they were right, this is a different kind of closeness and a huge fail. There are CB rooms that are closer to the RIV gondola station than RIV rooms. I felt like every time I looked out anywhere I saw CB, ugh.

Agree on the underwhelming nature of the hotel. Lobby was small and sterile. Walking through the archway from the skyliner - what was the artwork supposed to represent? I mean I guess that "Riviera" as a theme could invoke some vague general European-ness but it's a specific region and I'm not sure what Peter Pan or Tangled has to do with that region.

Staying at the Riviera right now. Love the balcony view. In a Studio. Plenty large and very nice. I don’t mind the lobby at all. I wasn’t excited coming In as I stayed here for my Wife. Now, I’m pretty thrilled. Had the 40% back in October and it was worth it.

Edit: not sure why pics are sideways.

89BE587D-167B-4533-B9FA-AF10A3AFB8CE.jpeg84360DE6-0EA4-4E1A-83A3-72256EB1A9DE.jpeg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter