Am I the only one that is unimpressed with SWGE - where is the juice?

I think because I'm an old guy, I'd be much more interested in SWGE if it featured characters and scenes from the original trilogy. Those are the movies I grew up with. I'd have loved going to Mos Eisly cantina, Endor, etc. As it is, when I do get to see it in January it will be ok I'm sure, but not the over-the-top thrill I'd be otherwise anticipating. Are teens and young adults infatuated with characters and settings from the recent trilogy?
I also grew up loving the originals, I'm alright with the sequels and prequels but what people don't understand is that Batuu and BSO is not a continuation of any of those stories, it's a side story, a side planet where you will see familiar things and new ones that connect with the star wars themes but is not a direct relation . It's a star wars setting where you get to write you're own story . I love BSO and visited as often af possible cause i feel like part of the sw universe

I do wonder what the reaction would have been for a Millennium Falcon ride akin to Star Tours where guests sit in the same seats as they do on MFSR but with a crew of Han & Chewie in the pilot seats on a digital screen who would fly the ship and provide commentary. Not groundbreaking I know (but is MSFR really?).

This whole write my own story thing is fine I guess. But let me write it in actual settings I care about surrounded by characters I care about. There are countless novels, comics, video games that used familiar characters and settings to create new stories.

Let's create a Harry Potter land without Harry Potter!!! Maybe his cousin went to a different school and they can build a land around that!! Genius!!!!

No wonder the highlight of the land thus far seems to be the millinium falcon photo opp for most people.

I do wonder what the reaction would have been for a Millennium Falcon ride akin to Star Tours where guests sit in the same seats as they do on MFSR but with a crew of Han & Chewie in the pilot seats on a digital screen who would fly the ship and provide commentary.

It would have been a big "meh." Been there, done that. Besides, you were never going to get Han in the ride.

Not groundbreaking I know (but is MSFR really?).

Considering it's the first large-scale, top of the line motion control simulator that you actually get to control, I'd say it's pretty darn groundbreaking.

This whole write my own story thing is fine I guess. But let me write it in actual settings I care about surrounded by characters I care about. There are countless novels, comics, video games that used familiar characters and settings to create new stories.

Let's create a Harry Potter land without Harry Potter!!! Maybe his cousin went to a different school and they can build a land around that!! Genius!!!!

No wonder the highlight of the land thus far seems to be the millinium falcon photo opp for most people.
this has been discussed at length about 100 times over on this thread, the issue is the same characters and setting you might care about I don't and vice versa, having a new planet (to us off worlders not to SW) gives them a chance to introduce new locations while still giving you classic and popular characters that are known to SW fans

I do wonder what the reaction would have been for a Millennium Falcon ride akin to Star Tours where guests sit in the same seats as they do on MFSR but with a crew of Han & Chewie in the pilot seats on a digital screen who would fly the ship and provide commentary. Not groundbreaking I know (but is MSFR really?).
you control the sim, what other WDW or UO attraction does that? not only you but there are 6 different positions that affect the ride and what you see and what you feel.

A SMALL amount of closed minded ones who will or never would like or enjoy SWGE no matter what Disney did or will do. It is perfect, by all means no but it is what it is, a small part of the Star Wars story. The issue with some is that the closed minded ones are all caught up on the original characters and in reality SW is much, much more then that, it is a whole vast different universe with many varied characters other then R2D2, Han, Darth Vader etc......

I said I would still enjoy the land, just not as much as if it was based on something tangible from onscreen. That's not close minded, it's an opinion. I will not call people close minded for differing on my opinion.

Closed minded is one who refuses to open up and see that others do not have to think like you and know that opinions as just that.....Star Wars is much more then what was on screen....just sayin

Closed minded is one who refuses to open up and see that others do not have to think like you and know that opinions as just that.....Star Wars is much more then what was on screen....just sayin

Yes yes...thats why I mentioned my love of the FFG boardgames, EU novels, FFG roleplaying games, comics, video games; and alot of that stuff is great....so yes, star wars is more than whats in the theatres. I just wish this was based on something form the films. I guess until I agree 100% with you I am close minded. Typical. I am not saying anything is terrible, just expressing an opinion and hoping not to get called closed minded.

you control the sim, what other WDW or UO attraction does that? not only you but there are 6 different positions that affect the ride and what you see and what you feel.
Mad Tea Party, you control the intensity of the spin. It also has a short wait to board.

Heh, this thread has been interesting, to say the least, particularly from fans of Disney, who I thought might be more open minded.

As much as I love that the things I grew up with are becoming popular, it has come with a huge downside. Fandom is ruining art. People feel entitled to the art they want, which misses the whole point of art in my view, to share the vision of the artist, to put ones mind inside the mind of the artist for a little while. Lately it seems that everyone just wants art regurgitated to them in the form most palatable to them. When they don’t get exactly what they want to see, they whine and demand the artist give them what they ask for. So art becomes merely consumption, and it loses it’s soul.

People used to love the idea of imagineers creating a new story and adding on to a beloved idea. Now they demand to see what THEY imagine. Kinda sad.

I look forward to experiencing Batuu and learning about it.

Heh, this thread has been interesting, to say the least, particularly from fans of Disney, who I thought might be more open minded.

As much as I love that the things I grew up with are becoming popular, it has come with a huge downside. Fandom is ruining art. People feel entitled to the art they want, which misses the whole point of art in my view, to share the vision of the artist, to put ones mind inside the mind of the artist for a little while. Lately it seems that everyone just wants art regurgitated to them in the form most palatable to them. When they don’t get exactly what they want to see, they whine and demand the artist give them what they ask for. So art becomes merely consumption, and it loses it’s soul.

People used to love the idea of imagineers creating a new story and adding on to a beloved idea. Now they demand to see what THEY imagine. Kinda sad.

I look forward to experiencing Batuu and learning about it.

I would love love LOVE if Disney went back to letting the imagineers create a story when constructing an attraction. No matter what attractions and lands they build, I look to Haunted Mansion, Pirates, and to some extent Thunder Mountain and Splash too (with its obscure IP) as the gold standard of what a Disney attraction should be. They stand the test of time because of their incredible theming and storytelling, IMO. Not because of their ride system or how popular of a movie/franchise it came from.

I think with the choice to be so IP focused lately, it’s a lot harder as a guest to experience things with an open mind vs. wanting justice done for your favourite movie, or wanting to experience that place you’ve been seeing on the screen for years, and being more invested in them doing it “right”.

I don’t know if they could ever have done SWGE “right”. That’s the nature of the heavy use of IP beast.

Yeah, it's been really interesting to see the effect FP+, or lack thereof, has had on the ride. A lot of people are moving through the line, and it's always been pretty packed back there. But without FP+, the wait isn't as high as many other attractions are, which has created the illusion that it's not popular or that people aren't riding it. We haven't really experienced a new attraction without FP+ since the system was put into place, so we're all experiencing the differences for the first time.
Then you haven't been to Universal. HP did fine without EP for many years. And I don't think anyone associated that with not as popular. It has stayed popular many years later.

But FWIW I don't associate wait time with too too much at either company. Temporariy ride malfuction, temporary ride down (due to weather or other entertainment), guest assistance, and pure manipulation of the SB line as well as ratio of FP (or EP for Universal) to SB guests all impacts that.

I think it's incorrect to associate wait time with popularity or non-popularity but at the same time there may be something to be said for expecting the ride to have a lot of loonnggg waits but not really ending up having that. I think that's where at least some people are coming from.

If you expected 2hr+ waits consistently throughout the day but you're not really seeing that there may be something to that in terms of expectations towards how well a ride was received. Making the comparison harder is that not too many rides don't have FP. Would be easier if say FOP didn't have FP attached to it. That might have made it easier to (along with understanding both rides' hourly capacity) compare "popularity" of Smuggler's Run if that's what someone was using for to determine that.

You realize every single SW movie creates a "new setting." Ditto every novel, comic, video game, etc. New places. There is no singular SW location. It's always different, with only a few repeated locales. Just like Galaxy's Edge.

Harry Potter takes place in the same place every time. Who knew, Harry Potter and Star Wars were actually different!

....it has no Star Wars in it!

If you read any description of RotR, it will tell you something about General Organa, Rey, and Kylo Ren. Here's the problem: Nobody knows who they are. If you don't believe me, just ask people around you who General Organa is, then ask them who Princess Leia is. I tried it on my husband and kids, and nobody but me knows who General Organa is, and we even watched Episodes 7 and 8! I didn't know it either until I read it once by accident. Princess Leia is an iconic American figure. General Organa is a minor character in a couple of forgettable movies among the zillion forgettable movies made every year.

And RotR is about a Star Wars battle that nobody has ever heard of. It will be popular because it's fun to move around in a cart, but not near as popular as it should be, just like Smuggler's Run. My kids liked Smuggler's Run (they always got the pilot role, for some reason), but they didn't recognize any of the characters or scenes in there besides the falcon itself, so they liked it no more than Star Tours. RotR is a trackless ride, which is new and interesting, but so is the Mickey Minnie Railroad ride and the Ratatouille ride. I am waiting to see Mickey and Ratatouille beat out RotR in wait time and popularity. (I will be spending my fastpasses on them rather than RotR, for sure.) For one thing, they will be more popular with kids. For another, they are more Disney.

To this day, Disney have not admitted that they screwed up Star Wars Land big time by forgetting to put Star Wars in it. But one thing they cannot deny forever, and that's their profit margin. Come December when It's a Small World beats out RotR, Disney will have to face the truth. (You think I'm exaggerating? When I was at WDW last week, not even a month after SWGE's opening, Pirates of the Caribbean and Jungle Cruise both had a longer wait (55min) than Smuggler's Run (45min). FoP had 135 minutes wait.)

For those people who claim that GE has the Falcon, and therefore it has Star Wars in it, here is my answer: I have the 5000-piece Lego Millennium Falcon set in my basement. I also have various Darth Vader and Storm Trooper masks, blasters, light sabers, the X-Wing, and various other SW junk scattered around the house, like any family with boys. Doesn't make my house Star Wars Land, does it?

For those people who claim that GE has the Falcon, and therefore it has Star Wars in it, here is my answer: I have the 5000-piece Lego Millennium Falcon set in my basement. I also have various Darth Vader and Storm Trooper masks, blasters, light sabers, the X-Wing, and various other SW junk scattered around the house, like any family with boys. Doesn't make my house Star Wars Land, does it?

Can you sit in the cockpit of the millenium falcon and fly it, shoot down tie fighters, or make repairs? Can you take a picture of the life-size scale x-wing, falcon, etc.? Can you build a custom lightsaber with kyber crystals from "scrap" people have surreptiously gathered? Can you get a holocron that reveals secrets of the force (OK, I'll admit even this one is a stretch for me since it's just a voice that has a quick sentence or two). Point is your "lego falcon" and "star wars masks" isn't what makes a land "Star Wars Land".

Btw, I asked my friend who "General Organa" is and he immediately responded "Leia", who btw is no longer a princess because the planet of which she was royalty (by adoption only mind you) was BLOWN UP. So, there goes your argument as well.

And as for Pirates and Jungle having longer waits...they have fastpass lines. It is unequivocally true that fastpass lines inflate wait times for standby. So considering that Pirates and jungle had a 55 min wait, that's a statistically insignificant difference (of 10 minutes compared to Millenium Falcon, which has no fastpass lines to inflate standby wait times). I am willing to bet if all three of those rides had no fastpass, we would see a much shorter wait for Jungle and Pirates standby.

And wait time is a TERRIBLE measure of success. As ANY theme park will tell you, rides are there to pull you in. Their real money is made from the merch and food they sell (and this is true across the industry, not just Disney). Considering Savi's, Droid Depot, and Oga's are consistently full I'm going to trust more people are fulfilling their reservations than cancelling them. And this doesn't include the merch they are selling at Dok Ondar's and the Creature Shop and other locations there. So this idea that Disney's "GE" is a failure simply because it's not as crowded and the wait time is RELATIVELY low compared to rides with fastpass just doesn't fly.

[edit]10:52 am - Interesting. MFSR with no fastpass line currently has a 75min wait while SDD has a 70min wait.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter