Am I missing something about Alcatraz?

It's a place of historical significance so if its history interests you then you should go. If it doesn't then don't go. It's not a theme park so don't go expecting actors dressed up as Al Capone or anything.

It's a place of historical significance so if its history interests you then you should go. If it doesn't then don't go. It's not a theme park so don't go expecting actors dressed up as Al Capone or anything.

The last time I visited I got in late for a ranger talk on Al Capone. While it wasn't acting per se, it was some riveting storytelling. The ranger had a Chicago area accent and I could close my eyes and sort of imagine that he lived through it.

For some reason, I have no desire to see Alcatraz, but I feel like I should see it if I'm visiting San Francisco. I just don't understand the big deal and why it is so popular. What am I missing?

I'm with you. We had our first (and likely only) visit to San Francisco last year. Had no desire to visit an ole prison on vacation. I did take the obligatory photo of it while on the ferry to Oakland. (Side note: The ferry was a great "attraction" for very cheap!).

Alcatraz is fascinating. There are ranger-led tours on a variety of topics unrelated to its history as a prison, like "Alcatraz as a Bird Rookery" and "The Gardens of Alcatraz." If interested in the prison, the audio tour is excellent, containing clips of oral history interviews with people who formerly lived on The Rock -- inside and out.

LMAO! My next door neighbor (in Miami, FL) called me a few minutes ago asking me to watch his house while he's gone.

I asked where he was. San Francisco!

So I came back to this thread and gave him a whole list of sights to see! Gotta love the DIS!

I thought it was very interesting on my first trip there. Though there is a lot of concrete buildings (with plenty of interesting history) there is also beauty in the island and on the surrounding bay.

I went back a second time with friends and family who had never been and while I liked seeing them see it for the first time I was a little bored with it and thought it was a one-time place to visit. (Go once reduce the recidivism rate; that is my advice.)

Odd/strange fact most people who grow up in an area never see any of the local historical or tourist stuff.

Are they not going on any school field trips? That's how I got to Alcatraz my first time. (I was born in SF and grew up in San Jose)

Second time I was with a new boyfriend who had grown up in Stockton and we thought we should go.

Are they not going on any school field trips? That's how I got to Alcatraz my first time. (I was born in SF and grew up in San Jose)

Second time I was with a new boyfriend who had grown up in Stockton and we thought we should go.

They get a lot of field trips, but it's not as if anywhere near a majority of kids in the area will ever visit.

I have no idea what the Bay Area schools budget for field trips is. Sadly when schools start making cutbacks field trips, art, music, and sports get cut first.

On a different topic... Interesting you were born and grew up in that area with the name bumbershoot. Do you live in Seattle now?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter