Am I missing something about Alcatraz?

karebear06

DIS Veteran
For some reason, I have no desire to see Alcatraz, but I feel like I should see it if I'm visiting San Francisco. I just don't understand the big deal and why it is so popular. What am I missing?

For some reason, I have no desire to see Alcatraz, but I feel like I should see it if I'm visiting San Francisco. I just don't understand the big deal and why it is so popular. What am I missing?

I wouldn't want to visit a prison while on vacation. A lot of suffering occurred within those walls, and ogling that is not my idea of fun.

Why is it so popular? Because it's famous. So is Justin Beiber. :rolleyes2 Just ignore the hype and go your own way.

To some degree it depends how old you are and how familiar you are with the most famous Frank Morris & Anglin brothers "escape".

I have watched and read everything on that, and to me it's huge history not to be missed.

YMMV

MG

It's history. It wasn't just a prison. It was also Native American land. If you aren't into the history then it's not worth it for you. I personally enjoyed having a tour and going in the lighthouse. I like lighthouses. The one at Alcatraz is not accessible to the public though. So again it's a history thing. Go see the redwoods. Nature is awe inspiring. SF has a lot today see and do, just decide what you are interested in and go from there of what to see.

what are you looking to do in San Fran?

what are you looking to do in San Fran?

We plan on going to the Walt Disney Family Museum, Muir Woods, Riding bikes to Sausalito, visiting Angel Island, taking a boat tour, and doing the touristy things on the Go Oahu Card. Plus whatever else we have time for. I'm open to any recommendations.

You don't have to go.

I live in the area and would recommend it. It has a view unlike any other part of San Francisco Bay. It has a history that includes extremely famous inmates. The stories about The Battle of Alcatraz and the occupation are fascinating to me. Outside of the view, it's not a particularly pretty place, but I think it's a worthwhile experience.

At the end of my numerous visits to San Francisco (probably my favorite US city), I often think..."Someday, I should go see Alcatraz."

I never do, primarily because there are SO many other great things to do in the Bay area. I'm sure it's a great place for history buffs, and I've read many glowing comments -- but I've got other things to see and do, and never enough time to do them all no matter how long I stay.

I'm open to any recommendations.
Chinatown, Lombard Street, Fisherman's Wharf, Ghiradelli Square, the Opera, Japan Town, Golden Gate Park (which is not near the Golden Gate Bridge), Marin Headlands, AT&T Park, Cliff House, Painted Ladies, The Embarcadero, Cable Cars, the "F Line" trolleys, shopping at Union Square, the Marina district, Palace of Fine Arts, Coit Tower, North Beach...in no particular order, and certainly not an all-inclusive list!

Chinatown, Lombard Street, Fisherman's Wharf, Ghiradelli Square, the Opera, Japan Town, Golden Gate Park (which is not near the Golden Gate Bridge), Marin Headlands, AT&T Park, Cliff House, Painted Ladies, The Embarcadero, Cable Cars, the "F Line" trolleys, shopping at Union Square, the Marina district, Palace of Fine Arts, Coit Tower, North Beach...in no particular order, and certainly not an all-inclusive list!

Wow! I sure have a lot more added to my list now.

I have lived in California my entire life and in the northern bay area for 32 and haven't done many of the typical SF tourists spots.

I tried to go to Muir Woods last year and it was going to be a 2 mile hike to get to the entrance (parking lot of full and the street parking was that far away). I left and ended up at the beach instead. So be warned parking is limited and gets full fast.

I have lived in California my entire life and in the northern bay area for 32 and haven't done many of the typical SF tourists spots.

I tried to go to Muir Woods last year and it was going to be a 2 mile hike to get to the entrance (parking lot of full and the street parking was that far away). I left and ended up at the beach instead. So be warned parking is limited and gets full fast.
I've never been there and I have lived in CA for 18 years...

Odd/strange fact most people who grow up in an area never see any of the local historical or tourist stuff. I once lived in New England 30 minutes from state border and met someone who was in his 40's and had never left his state. You should go see your local tourist stuff at east once.

Odd/strange fact most people who grow up in an area never see any of the local historical or tourist stuff. I once lived in New England 30 minutes from state border and met someone who was in his 40's and had never left his state. You should go see your local tourist stuff at east once.

Uh, I didn't say I grew up here...

I've lived in 5 states, was born in the Caribbean, and have traveled to almost all the states.

I just couldn't care less about the history of Alcatraz. It sounds boring as all get out. I have been to almost all of CA's "tourist" destinations over the years. That one just holds zero appeal to me.

Odd/strange fact most people who grow up in an area never see any of the local historical or tourist stuff. ... You should go see your local tourist stuff at east once.
I went to a state park a couple weeks ago and about half the schools in the area were there. I actually got me thinking how I missing my kids being in elementary school and going on their field trips. Because it gave me an excuse to go see things that I wouldn't normally go to.

I think that's the same all over. South Florida has a population of more than 6 million and very few of them have ever been to Everglades National Park or South Beach...or the Florida Keys, for that matter.

But everybody's been to WDW!:rolleyes:

I think that's the same all over. South Florida has a population of more than 6 million and very few of them have ever been to Everglades National Park or South Beach...or the Florida Keys, for that matter.

But everybody's been to WDW!:rolleyes:

At least they have been to WDW. I know people (in their 40's) who live 20 minutes from DL but never gone. Or the people in central ca who have never seen Yosemite, or sequoia national park.

Uh, I didn't say I grew up here...

I've lived in 5 states, was born in the Caribbean, and have traveled to almost all the states.

I just couldn't care less about the history of Alcatraz. It sounds boring as all get out. I have been to almost all of CA's "tourist" destinations over the years. That one just holds zero appeal to me.

You originally said you lived there for 18 years, so no I didn't think you were born there. But living in one place long enough, depending on your age, also implies you grew up or lived long enough in an area to not do any tourist stuff. Most people tend to not do local history or tourist stuff because they get the mentality that "it will be there later so why go now." I didn't mean to offend you, just thought it was an interesting fact that you might enjoy.

Speaking of Muir Woods, does anyone know if the Old Mill Park is similar? There's a self-guided bike tour that takes you through Old Mill Park on the way to Tiburon, so I thought we would stop there instead.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter