• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

ALOHA! The Poly FAQ: Fall 2010 Edition

I guess I didn't post that many, but I'll have to go through DD, Emma's, photos - she is a WAY better photographer than I am - and see what she has. It was a bit of a rough weekend - one of our cats died yesterday really suddenly. It was heartbreaking and terrible, but now she is at peace. She was fine when we got home last week, but over the past few days just hadn't been herself and yesterday went downhill FAST. Everyone around here is pretty sad today! :sad1:

I'm so sorry about your cat!!!! {{{hugs}}

Thanks, Heather. They really are part of the family. It's pretty awful and one of our other cats, Smokey is getting older (13) - argh!!

Yes, we did have a great vacation and I really want to start planning another one! Problem is, DH is not nearly as obsessive as I am about Disney - I could go again, tomorrow!!!! And DD is heading off to prep school in the fall and will be pretty busy, so I'm trying to fenagle a trip with my sister. She'll love Poly CL - but now I have to convince DH that it's okay for me to go again with her. ;)
I'm sorry to hear about your baby. They really do find their way into our hearts.:hug:
Have any of you Poly veterans had experience with children being able to wear lifejackets down the slide??
I believe I saw at least one child go down the slide in a lifejacket.

How often do they replenish appetizers, If i were to come in at 6:45pm would there be anything left?
Also I'm brain dead, Does the resort monorail at POLY take u to Epcot or do you have to get on at the TTC, I've totally forgotten.:confused:
I walked in once at about 6:50 and found most items were low, but there was food left. It was a very busy holiday week, so there were many in the lounge for appetizers each night. It seems most people are there right at 5pm, waiting.

So since we were chatting in room coffee makers a little earlier... Do all guest rooms have them, even when staying CL? If they do, what size filters do they take? I'm thinking we'll end up bringing our own coffee & filters so we can have some decent brew while in our room, we can get the fixings in the CL lounge.

Also a few have mentioned Rum :cutie: Are you bringing bottles with you, purchasing there in the gift shop (wouldn't THAT be fab!) or picking up off site and bringing back to the room. A girl's gotta prepare ya know, LOL! :thumbsup2
They coffee makers are in CL rooms--they take the small (4C?) regular filters, I believe.
Ohhh, this is awesome! How did you arrange this? I want to do something for DH for our anniversary but didn't really want a whole cake. I would love something like this at our anniversary dinner.
TIA!!
I had the Concierge/IPO arrange this for me. I'm sure you could call private dining to arrange something similar. I just asked for a white chocolate character--and maybe some candies or truffles to go with it. I got the idea to do so because last year I ordered DH a white-chocolate monorail from the Contemporary and it came with the yummiest truffles! These were every bit as good.

I have more photos from around the resort and from the Luau. :rolleyes1 Anyone interested? I don't want to put too many up here!

Zuzu and Tinkerbellie - We are a cat loving family (8!!!)So sorry to hear about your cats. We have lost 2 over the past few years and it is heartbreaking. We lost our 14 1/2 yr. old dog 2 weeks ago and I still get weepy just thinking about it. He hadn't been doing well lately and was on several meds, had difficulty walking, etc. He spared us the difficulty of making that "big" decision and just passed during his morning walk. So very sad for us, so I can totally imagine what you're doing through Tinkerbellie. Thoughts and prayers to both of you.

I had the Concierge/IPO arrange this for me. I'm sure you could call private dining to arrange something similar. I just asked for a white chocolate character--and maybe some candies or truffles to go with it. I got the idea to do so because last year I ordered DH a white-chocolate monorail from the Contemporary and it came with the yummiest truffles! These were every bit as good.

Thanks so much. I just sent an email to the IPO to see if they can arrange something for our anniversary dinner.

Not a PolyPro but on my way to being a PolyAddict - here is what I remember from our trip in April...

There are only ceramic mugs in the rooms. You can get empty to-go cups from Captain Cooks but they won't give you lids (I presume to dissuade you from walking over and filling up right there.) When I got the cups the CM told me you can get lids from housekeeping - which I did. Don't know if housekeeping also has cups but next time I will definitely ask before walking down to Captain Cooks.

I meant to try the Kona Coffee while I was there but somehow this never happened. I believe there are two blends - one being stronger than the other.

Sweet tip! Thanks you. :D Will try housekeeping whilst we're there. Figure I'd ask since lots of hotels I've stayed in recently have started including "to go" cups along with their ceramic mugs in-room. I'll still give the Kona coffee a try when we're there -- especially since you mentioned they've got a stronger option. :thumbsup2

Zuzu03: Sorry to hear about your furry pal. :sad1:

Thank you so much for this fabulous thread! I'm really enjoying learning everything AND seeing so many brilliant photos. This will be our first stay at the Poly (Nov 12-20), and I'm going on a recommendation from my sister. I'm soooo excited to see it!! I'm loving all this information.

p.s. So sorry about the loss of the pets...there is nothing worse.

Back from the world and our first Poly stay. ALthough there were a few minor issues, the Poly is a nice resort overall. I have now stayed at all the Monorail resorts and I'll take CR or Poly over GF. I like GF the LEAST- GF is fine in every aspect and I had NO problems when I stayed there - it was several other guests that turned me off in Sugar Loaf and how they treated Concierge staff. Concierge is not your slave and I believe in the Golden Rule.

I do have pics I need to upload as we stayed in Tonga if anyone would like to see. The theming at the Poly wins hands down over most of the other resorts.

Will I stay at the Poly again? YOU BET. And my kids said that before I did.. not sure why, but DD7 loved it in spite of the housekeeping incident we encountered. The maid took her favorite blankets and must have thrown them in with the linens to be washed.. concierge was notified so we're hoping Lost & Found will have them and mail them back to us - VERY disappointed about this because maid should have seen these while changing the linens! This may seem trivial, but this is her security item and she was in hysterics when we got back from the parks and couldn't find them.. they never leave the room and we tore the whole suite apart. This could have happened anywhere, unfortunately it happened at the Poly so I'm just keeping my fingers crossed these may return back to us.

I found Tonga to be very quiet and we had the BEST view of the castle - straight on overlooking the marina! I didn't realize how close the walk was to GCH - literally steps away and that rocked.

I now "get it" - the whole Poly obsession. I get why those of you who LOVE the Poly do indeed LOVE it!

And I also finally tried a Dole Whip after countless trips to the world! omg, I loved it! I got one, went back to the room, and sat on the balcony and watched the fireworks.... totally magical!

I would recommend the Poly over GF any day!!!

Sorry if I am rambling a bit - I am so exhausted from our trip, my thoughts are jumbled and it's like I can't type or talk! :rotfl:

eh-hem! Mine's BETTER than yours!!! :goodvibes

Guess we'll see eachother at the pool in...less than a week!!! :cool1:

Thanks for the new thread, guitarob. You are doing a great job.

Don't know if I'll be posting back here before I leave (tons to get done, and still working the next few nights), but y'all watch for my live report, OK?

ALOHA!

I am right between you guys! We actually leave in 4 days, but we have two days in the car.... but just the idea that we are 'on the way' counts... right! :laughing:

BTW - does anyone have the link to the Poly August thread?

I'm sorry to hear about this. My cat is 16 1/2 and it looks like I have to put him down. I'm having a really hard time actually making the appointment but my husband is adamant. Well, maybe I could choose the cat over the husband.... Well, something to lighten my mood at least. And I do choose the hubby but my Stormin Norman is my 'first baby'. This is so hard!!! I need to do it before our vacation though so I'm not worried about how sick he is when we are gone for a week. I love my cat but doesn't it just tear your heart out when they pass away??? Anyone else have to put your pet down? I feel horrible for making that decision. Sorry, totally a tangent there.

Oh Tinkerbellie, I totally know what you mean - honestly we were worried more about Smokey, who is 13 and hasn't been eating well lately (he has a vet appt on Wednesday) while we were gone, but apparently he did great. Thank goodness for good kitty sitters!!! Good luck coming to terms with things - it's been a long time since this has happened to me and only once have I had to put my horse down when I was 15 (talk about a bad time to have to do that). I think you're right to take care of things before you go on vacation, otherwise you'll worry too much.

Zuzu, I'm so sorry to hear about your kitty. I know losing a pet is so sad. I really hope you and your family feel better soon.

I'm very sorry to hear about your kitty. It is one of my big concerns this trip. My cats are 17 years old and one of them isn't doing well. We're having someone house sit this trip just to keep an eye on him.

My thoughts are with you.

I'm so sorry about your cat!!!! {{{hugs}}

Zuzu and Tinkerbellie - We are a cat loving family (8!!!)So sorry to hear about your cats. We have lost 2 over the past few years and it is heartbreaking. We lost our 14 1/2 yr. old dog 2 weeks ago and I still get weepy just thinking about it. He hadn't been doing well lately and was on several meds, had difficulty walking, etc. He spared us the difficulty of making that "big" decision and just passed during his morning walk. So very sad for us, so I can totally imagine what you're doing through Tinkerbellie. Thoughts and prayers to both of you.

Thank you everyone for your sweet thoughts and prayers. This thread is full of some very kind people. DebbyLof428 - sorry to have reminded you of your loss too. :hug:

No such thing as too many photos :) Post away!

I completely agree with guitarob - the more the better - helps me to take my mind of things and to remember our vacation and hopefully plan our next! Post those pics!

Question for the experienced DISers....

We plan to go for a week at the Poly... 2 rooms, one for us, one for daughter and gs. Our son and dil will be joining us a day or 2 later in a 3rd room.

Will we be able to get all 3 rooms together even though one will be a later check in date?

Are they good about giving connecting rooms when requested?
Will we be able to all at least stay in the same lodge (is that the right word?) and floor?

Do you hear or feel the monorail anywhere?

Thanks for your help~

Tinkerbellie and Zuzu--so sorry to hear about your kitties! We've had to put 2 cats down in the past 3 years and it's been a killer. We found the first one just really lethargic one morning and took her to the vet. She was in renal failure and there wasn't anything to do for her, so we had to put her down.

The second one was just last year and, again, we noticed one evening that she was dragging one of her legs so we took her to the vet. We found out that she had advanced heart disease and she was developing blood clots in her legs.

Both kitties had regular check-ups and nothing had ever been found prior to these episodes. It was just awful to have them seemingly healthy one day and having to say good-bye the next. My heart goes out to both of you!!!

I've done a little more updating:

Photos from rooms in Tokelau and Niue have been added to the "Reviews" links. Thank you Toddd!

Photos of the Luau and the bicycles have been added to the main posts. Thank you mdrob214!

I've also added a few of my own photos of Captain Cook's and the Kona Cafe to the main posts.

Does anyone have any photographs of 'Ohana or the Kona Island that they wouldn't mind sharing with everyone? Food, interior, signs, all would be appreciated.

Mahalo!

I am right between you guys! We actually leave in 4 days, but we have two days in the car.... but just the idea that we are 'on the way' counts... right! :laughing:

BTW - does anyone have the link to the Poly August thread?

My plane arrives Sat-July 31st at 11:32 am! then ME to POLYCL woo hoo!!!!:cool1:

WOW thats amazing! Thanks so much! We wont need to leave an hr early to make our ADrs! I will give it about 20 min atleast (GF,CR,MK,EP) on the monorail and maybe 30 with the boat and 30 with the bus! I dont think I will EVER want to stay anywhere else with this luxury! LOL

Thanks everyone for their patience with my 101 questions, you all will make my trip even that much more amazing!

I think that the travel times that were listed were "riding times" It can take up to an hour to get from your room at the poly to the front podium of a resturant at Epcot. And I agree with a previous poster that mentioned a bus ride can take only 10-15 minutes, but if you get there when a bus is just pulling out and you have to wait for the next one it can add 20 more minutes of travel time.

Question for the experienced DISers....

We plan to go for a week at the Poly... 2 rooms, one for us, one for daughter and gs. Our son and dil will be joining us a day or 2 later in a 3rd room.

Will we be able to get all 3 rooms together even though one will be a later check in date?

Are they good about giving connecting rooms when requested?
Will we be able to all at least stay in the same lodge (is that the right word?) and floor?

Do you hear or feel the monorail anywhere?

Thanks for your help~

Rooms are pretty much assigned at check-in or slightly before. I'm sure that you could request what you would like to see happen, and that they'll try to accommodate you, but they'll never guarantee.

You can see the monorail from a couple of rooms in Rapa Nui, Rarotonga, Tonga and Aotearoa. You may hear a whisper from the monorail as it buzzes by Aotearoa, but I doubt you'll be able to feel it from anywhere because it's not necessarily very close to the rooms.

Here's an overhead photo so you get a better look at longhouse/monorail location. I've highlighted the monorail beam in yellow:

monorailrooms2.jpg

My plane arrives Sat-July 31st at 11:32 am! then ME to POLYCL woo hoo!!!!:cool1:

We arrive in orlando LATE on the 31st..... and we are staying at cheapy hotel off site just for the night....

We have always flown before, but this year it wasn't in the budget, plus the kiddos are older and travel better...!!!!

I'll see you there!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter