• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

ALOHA! The Poly FAQ: Fall 2010 Edition

guitarob

Polynesian Obsessed
polybanner2.jpg

Fall 2010 Edition

sign.jpg

When you first arrive at the Polynesian, you will be whisked away into a vacation wonderland of waterfalls and tropical foliage in the lobby of the Great Ceremonial House (GCH).

entrance.jpg
lobby1.jpg

lobby2.jpg
lobby3.jpg

The GCH is where the check in desk is located as well as the lobby concierge desk. It is also home to the wonderful shopping at Boutiki, Trader Jacks and Samoa Snacks.

On the first floor is Captain Cooks, which offers 24 hour Counter service. On the second floor the popular ‘Ohana and Kona Grill are located for a fabulous table service dining experience

Guest rooms are located within 11 “Longhouses”, each named after an Island in the South Pacific.

They are...

• Aotearoa
  • Fiji
  • Hawaii (contains only concierge/club level standard rooms)
  • Niue
  • Rapa Nui
  • Rarotonga
  • Samoa
  • Tahiti
  • Tokelau
  • Tonga (contains only concierge/club level suites)
  • Tuvalu

longhouse.jpg

There are three available view categories for rooms. They are Garden View (GV), Theme Park View (TPV), and Lagoon View (LV).

Theme Park view rooms will feature a view of Disney's Magic Kingdom theme park and the Seven Seas Lagoon. These views are reported to be the most magical on Disney property! Theme Park View rooms can be found in Aotearoa, Hawaii (Club Level), Tahiti and Tuvalu. Theme Park view rooms are categorized by their unobstructed view of Cinderella's Castle in the Magic Kingdom.

Lagoon View rooms offer a view of the Seven Seas Lagoon. Some rooms may offer an obstructed view of the castle or Space Mountain. Lagoon View rooms can be found in Aotearoa, Hawaii (Club Level), Tahiti, Tokelau, Tonga and Tuvalu.

A Garden view features a view of parking area, garden, pool, marina or monorail. Don’t let the parking lot in the description scare you; the Polynesian has such lush and beautiful foliage that there are no bad views. Garden View rooms can be found in all longhouses.

The Polynesian also offers Club Level Rooms. The majority of the rooms are located in the Hawaii Longhouse and include all three categories of views. More information on the Poly Club Level can be found a few pages down.

sslagoon.jpg

All guest rooms feature:
  • Two queen-size beds (king-size beds available in suites located in Tonga)
  • Day Bed
  • Small table
  • Chair
  • Ceiling fan
  • Bathroom
  • High Speed Internet access (for an additional fee)
  • Cable TV, includes Disney programming
  • In-room safe
  • Voice mail
  • Hair Dryer
  • Iron and ironing board
  • I-Home Alarm clock
  • Coffee Maker
  • Refrigerator
  • Microwave (on request)
  • Pack ‘n Play (on request)
  • Bed boards (on request)
  • Bed rails (on request)

All rooms are non-smoking
Disabled accessible rooms are available

room1.jpg
room2.jpg

room3.jpg
br1.jpg

br2.jpg
coffee.jpg

br3.jpg
hall.jpg

Please note that the information in this thread is based on the experiences of the authors, and that of the other participants of this thread. As many people have differing opinions and views, this thread is for information purposes only. As with any information given on the thread, it is still a good idea to confirm with the resort upon arrival for specific up-to-date information.

hammock.jpg
point.jpg

grounds4.jpg
grounds3.jpg

Upon arrival you will receive the Island Palm Press.
This is a newsletter with a directory of services available at the Polynesian.

**Please note that as of 3/2010 guests have reported that they have replaced the Island Palm Press with a alternative booklet that has resort information. As with any information given on the thread, it is still a good idea to confirm with the resort upon arrival for specific up to date information.**

ipp1.jpg

kona.jpg
ohana.jpg

boutiki.jpg
kisland.jpg

samoa.jpg
jacks.jpg

ipp2.jpg

Located on the First Floor of the GCH, Captain Cooks offers Quick Meals, Snacks and Drinks (Including Beer, Wine and the (in)famous Dole-Whip) Captain Cooks is open 24 Hours (Grill from 6:30 AM - 11 PM) and features indoor and outdoor seating.

cooks.jpg

cooks1.jpg
cooks2.jpg

Located on the Second Floor of the GCH, the Kona Cafe features American Cuisine with Subtle Asian Flavors.

kona.jpg
kona5.jpg

kona1.jpg
kona2.jpg

kona3.jpg
kona4.jpg

Disney's Spirit of Aloha Dinner Show is an all-you-can-eat, family-style luau featuring hula, fire and knife dancers in an open air, covered dining theater located in Luau Cove on the Seven Seas Lagoon.

Dinner features BBQ Pork Ribs, Roast Chicken, Fresh Pineapple, Polynesian Style Rice and Seasonal Vegetables.

A Chocolate Mousse Volcano is served for dessert. Beer, Wine and Soft Drinks are included in the price.

luau1.jpg
luau2.jpg

luau3.jpg
luau4.jpg

At the Tambu Lounge located by 'Ohana or the Barefoot Pool Bar you will find the most tropical and tasty libations on property! Make sure you try the popular Lapu Lapu or Pina Colava to round out your Poly experience!!

lapulapu.jpg
pina1.jpg

ipp4.jpg

Whether spending the afternoon by the pool or zipping around the Seven Seas Lagoon on a Sea Racer, the Polynesian offers a wide variety of recreation choices to please everyone of all ages!

The most popular is the Nanea Volcano Pool and grotto slide are located adjacent to the beach. This location offers the most spectacular view on Disney Property!

During the day, various activities are offered poolside such as bingo and hula hoop contests. Information about this can be found on the activity flyer you receive upon admission.

pool1.jpg

pool2.jpg
bar.jpg

pool3.jpg
pool4.jpg

Next to the Nanea Pool is the Children’s Play Area.

play1.jpg
play2.jpg

The Polynesian Resort also offers a quiet pool away from the hustle and bustle of the Nanea Volcano Pool.

qpool.jpg

In the evening, the beach becomes the perfect place to watch fireworks on a lounge chair after a long day at the parks. You can also watch the Electric Water Pageant as it passes by the resort every evening at 9:00 PM. (Wishes Photo: sarahnaut, flicker. EWP Photo: gbrunett, flickr)

wishes.jpg

ewp.jpg

The Mikala Canoe Club in the marina is the place to rent Seay Racers, Patoon Boats or even a surrey bike to explore the beautiful Poly property! You can also borrow Coast Guard approved life jackets for your little ones at no charge! Operating hours vary throughout the year. Moana Mickey’s Arcade, next to Captain Cook’s offers video and skill games.

boats2.jpg
boats.jpg

bikes1.jpg
arcade.jpg

The Poly also offers hair wrapping. Located by the pool. The stand is open from 12 noon to about 5pm daily. They take cash only and the charge is $2.00 per inch PLUS the cost of beads which range from $.50 to $4.00. You can pick up to 4 colors. A typical hair wrap will cost you about $20-$35 depending on the length of hair.

hair2.jpg
hair1.jpg

On various evenings, you can catch the torch lighting ceremony in front of the GCH.

torch.jpg

You can also catch a movie on the beach between the Polynesian and the Grand Floridian. The movies vary by month and are shown on different nights of the week. Be sure to check your resort activity flyer upon check-in.

movie2.jpg

Guests of the Polynesian Resort are able to use the Health Club at the Grand Floridian Resort at no charge.

ipp3.jpg

The Poly laundry room is located by the Neverland Club. Besides washers and dryers, there is a machine to buy detergent. There is a change machine located in the laundry room. There is also a nice sitting area with a vending machine and television.

laundry.jpg
laundry2.jpg

laundry1.jpg
laundry3.jpg

The Polynesian Resort has a prime location, and offers some of the best transportation options in all of Walt Disney World. In addition, the Transportation and Ticket Center and the Epcot Monorail are just a short, beautiful stroll away.

monorail1.jpg

launch.jpg
launch2.jpg

bus.jpg
monorail2.jpg

Club Level Concierge, known as The King Kamehameha Club at the Polynesian is a great way to add some extra magic to your Polynesian Experience!

The Hawaii Longhouse houses standard Club Level rooms. There are three view categories, Garden view, which has wonderful views of the gardens and quiet pool. Lagoon View, which faces Seven Seas Lagoon but may have a slight obstruction due to a Palm tree or other foliage and Theme Park View which will guarantee a fabulous views of the Magic Kingdom.

cloutside.jpg

Club Level is located in the Hawaii (Regular CL Rooms) and Tonga (Suites) buildings. These buildings are secured and entry is only possible with a concierge room key.

In Hawaii, the first floor rooms offer a patio and the third floor rooms have balconies while the second floor has sliding glass doors but with only a railing rather than a balcony. The Hawaii Longhouse is loved by many simply due to it’s location. It is right on the beach, next to the volcano pool and a short walk to the GCH. Theme Park View and Lagoon View room rates are higher than Club Level Garden View Rooms.

cllounge1.jpg

Tonga Longhouse is a two story building with suites and also has garden view and lagoon view categories. These rooms are larger 2 and 3 bedroom suites that accommodate larger parties. While they also have lounge offerings they are able to access the offerings available in the Hawaii Longhouse.

Club Level services include pre-arrival personal vacation planning by the Itinerary Planning Office (IPO). The IPO will make your advance dining reservations, assist in purchasing tickets and other advance planning details. Shortly after making your reservation you will be contacted by a member of the IPO office to start planning your stay. Sometimes you may need to contact them first due to computer interface issues within Disney.

Concierge guests can call 407-824-2466.
To Fax the Planning Office use 407-824-3162
Their e-mail is Polynesian.Itinerary.Planning@disneyworld.com
(DO NOT E-MAIL THIS ADDRESS IF YOU ARE NOT STAYING IN THE CONCIERGE LEVEL ROOM!)

The Planning Office is open from 9 AM to 6 PM every day, Eastern time (excluding holidays).

While staying at the Club Level you will have personalized front desk and guest services. Your room will have robes, phone in the bath area, DVD players and nightly turndown service. Jogging strollers are also available to Club Level guests (first come first serve).

Club Level guests many also are able to experience the Wildlife Discovery Excursion at Disney’s Animal Kingdom which is available at 10am & 1pm daily for $50 a person. Part of the proceeds go to the Walt Disney World Wildlife Conservation fund. You can have your IPO planner assist you in making these reservations.

cldesk.jpg

Club Level guests have access to the lounge which offers a variety of food and beverage served throughout the day. These offerings are as follows:

Kakahiaka (morning service) 7:00 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. offering muffins and pastries, tropical fruit, cereal, milk, orange juice, pineapple guava juice, ice tea, coffee drinks and hot chocolate from the new coffee machine, glass bottles of water, and toasters are available. Yogurt available as well as other items by request. Just ask at the counter.

Auinala
(afternoon service) 12:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. offering fruit juice, bottled water, soda, ice tea, cookies, tropical fruit, gummy worms and m&m’s for the kids.

Ahiahi (evening service) 5:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. offering different themes each day.

Aumoe (late evening service) 7:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. offering wine and cheese as well as cordials and desserts.

Beer is also available by request.

Every evening they also serve a wonderful tropical beverage, the Ku’ulei Special. If you are so inclined to whip up a batch at home, the wonderful CMs in the lounge gave me a copy of the recipe.

The recipe for Ku’ulei Special can be found HERE!

New Menu
as of 10/5/2009 Thanks to Tess.

cllounge2.jpg
cllounge3.jpg

cllounge4.jpg
cllounge5.jpg

cllounge14.jpg
cllounge15.jpg

cllounge7.jpg
cllounge8.jpg

cllounge9.jpg
cllounge10.jpg

cllounge11.jpg
cllounge12.jpg

The spectacular view from the concierge lounge:

cllounge13.jpg

For more detailed Club Level information For more Club level information, The DIS Concierge/Club Level Information - Part II (Sept 2009) can be found here

This is where you can find links for reviews of longhouse locations, dining, club level and other Polynesian experiences and the most frequently asked questions about the Polynesian Resort.

Longhouses:

sign_hawaii.png

Photographs of Wishes from room 2516 By: MIDisFan
2008 Club Level Review By SeaSpray
Late August 2009 Review By: SuAnne
September 2009 Club Level Review By: Tinkerbell 325
Garden View Photos By: BreezysMom
Accessible Room in the Hawaii Building By: SeaSpray
2010 Club Level Review By: Tess

sign_samoa.png

Room 3604 By: Sersee05
Room 3602 Part I By: J.C.&Ali'sMom
Room 3602 Part II By: J.C.&Ali'sMom

sign_fiji.png

Third floor room review and photos By: BreezysMom
Room 3318 view photo By: rcsilverspring
December 2009 Trip Report with link to photos By: eroller

sign_rarotonga.png

Room 1817 Thoughts By: woodleygrrl
Room 1817 Photos By: woodleygrrl
Room 2821 review By: Zippa D Doodah

sign_rapanui.png

Review with Photographs By: Ladybugmom

sign_tuvalu.png

October 2009 trip report By: Maiapapaya
Third floor Theme Park View Part I By: Lissiesmum
Third floor Theme Park View Part II By: Lissiesmum
Room 1405 Lagoon View Photos By: MsStinkerBelle
Photos of Theme Park View rooms 3409, 3410 & 3411 By: Dawgdad

sign_tokelau.png

Photos from room 2925 By: Toddd

sign_tahiti.png

April 2009 Room & View Photographs By: CAJUNWDWFAN
September 2009 Theme Park View Room Photographs By: GraceLuvsWDW

sign_tonga.png

sign_aotearoa.png

Photographs from room 3326 By: ppony

sign_niue.png

Photographs from room 2701 By: Toddd

Other Reviews and Picture Posts
Polynesian Photo Thread By: Disboard Members
Review and Photographs of the Torch Lighting Ceremony By: CleveRocks
Resort Photographs from September, 2009 Part I By: RonaldDuck
Resort Photographs from September, 2009 Part II By: RonaldDuck
Resort Photographs from September, 2009 Part III By: RonaldDuck
Various Photographs from September, 2009 Part I By: Vicki C
Various Photographs from September, 2009 Part II By: Vicki C
Various Photographs from September, 2009 Part III By: Vicki C
Fireworks and Luau Photographs from September, 2009 By Vicki C
Photographs from May, 2009 Part I By: Mom2mek
Photographs from May, 2009 Part II By: Mom2mek
Photographs from May, 2009 Part III By: Mom2mek
Merchandise Photographs from October, 2009 By: BreezysMom
Photographs from October, 2009 Part I By: Capt Barbosa
Photographs from October, 2009 Part II By: Capt Barbosa
November, 2009 Trip Report with Dining Review from CL Stay By: MickeyNicki

FAQ's

Do all the rooms at the Polynesian get turndown service or just Club Level?
Turndown service is standard in Club Level rooms and is done daily. You can request turndown service in standard rooms. Just call housekeeping and request the service to be done.

Which Longhouses have two sinks in the bathroom?
Tahiti and Rapa Nui (except for the handicap accessible rooms). These longhouses also have balconies on the second and third floor.

Does the Polynesian have a hot tub?
Sadly, there is no hot tub at the Polynesian.

Is there a playground at the Polynesian?
There is no playground at the Polynesian. There is a water play area next to the Volcano pool.

Do all the guest rooms have iHomes?
Yes, every guest room has an iHome alarm clock.

map.jpg

poly_labeled.jpg

ALOHA! I'd like to welcome everyone to the latest edition of the Polynesian FAQ Thread!

This new thread is a continuation of this one, which has been maintained by BreezysMom for quite some time now. Breezy has handed the thread off to me and I hope to do it justice and keep it going for as long as I can.

I kind of rushed to get this up before the old thread got locked out, so I'm sure there are some things that I'll be cleaning up over the next day or so.

Feel free to PM me if you create a review or photo post that you would like to see added to the main posts, if you see some bad information that needs to be changed out, or have some new information that needs to be added.

Mahalo, what an awesome job! We have 48 more days until our first Poly CL stay and I cannot wait!

Good morning my POly friends!

Signing in! :thumbsup2

You did an awesome job! I love the new place to party :banana:

It was a pleasure to pass to torch! :laughing:

Very nicely done, Guitarob! Thanks to BreezysMom and to Seaspray for all their hard work and to you for keeping it going!! :worship: The Poly thread withdrawl would have been horrible!! :sick: Beautiful! :thumbsup2

Hey everyone! Love the new thread - but Fall 2010 is freaking me out because that means school (thus, work) starts soon! I'm not going to start thinking about it yet, I'm not, I'm not! :) Here's a pic from our last trip:

316.jpg

I moved this from a post i put up on the spring edition thread.

Here are a couple of pictures of the view of the fireworks from room 2516 in the Hawaii building.

The new thread looks great guitarob! And a huge thank you to BreezysMom and SeaSpray for the previous ones - all of your hard work is appreciated by all of us Poly-addicts! :worship:

We are headed for our first WDW trip in October and I'm so happy to have this thread for the in's and out's of the Poly! Can't wait!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter