• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

ALOHA! The Poly FAQ: Fall 2010 Edition

do they play the Wishes music on a tv channel like they do at contemporary?

No, the music is not piped in via the television. The music is piped into the CL lounge and around the quiet pool. You really can't see anything from the quiet pool area though. As carlnix30 advises, the music can be heard from the beach area and the boat dock as well as the marina area and you can view the show from those vantages.

No, the music is not piped in via the television. The music is piped into the CL lounge and around the quiet pool. You really can't see anything from the quiet pool area though. As carlnix30 advises, the music can be heard from the beach area and the boat dock as well as the marina area and you can view the show from those vantages.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
We made the "mistake" of watching Wishes from the Poly boat dock in 2008 and will NEVER do that again. My family HATED it. WAY too far away for us. I will only watch them in the park from now on. (BUT we don't have small children, which I know makes a difference)

We LOVED watching Holiday Wishes from the lounge with a cup of hot chocolate!! It was also really nice to watch it from our porch (with music). We love it up close, but we think it's just as nice from a distance away from the crowds. :)

I have a question for my fellow Poly lovers.
We have ADRs for Ohana when we are staying at the Poly in May. My husband looked it up in The Unofficial Guide and, after reading about the coconut races and other kids activities, is not sure he wants to have dinner there. We are 6 adults - parents with 2 adult children and their boyfriends. One of the reasons I picked it was that we have 2 vegans in our party and though Chef TJ is no longer there, it was recommended for vegan diners. I've also seen many excellent reviews and wanted to try it myself, especially since we are not doing the Spirit of Aloha Dinner Show this trip. Our reservations are not until 8:30 PM, which DH thought might make a difference. Would there be a chance that we could sit away from all the activity or would there be less of it because it is later in the evening?? I was thrilled to even GET this ADR, but now I'm not so sure. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thanks to all of you for the great input, but after much discussion with the family and especially after seeing videos on Youtube, we have decided to give up these much coveted reservations. We just don't think it's right for us. I am giving this heads up to my Poly friends in the hopes that one of you have been hoping for a cancellation and can snap this up. Our reservation is for 8:30 PM on Sunday May 22, 2011.

We LOVED watching Holiday Wishes from the lounge with a cup of hot chocolate!! It was also really nice to watch it from our porch (with music). We love it up close, but we think it's just as nice from a distance away from the crowds. :)

I couldn't agree with you more! Once every few years we get the urge to go into MK and watch the night time parade du jour and stay for Wishes. While there we always look at one another and question our sanity for doing so. The crowds are really more than I can handle while standing in one position.

I am fine if it is extremely crowded and we are moving around a park, but the standing and place holding thing drives me nuts! I feel as if I need to be a defensive lineman to keep people out of my space and heaven forbid if one person in the group leaves for a bathroom/refreshment trip! The crowd tends to push in and tries to engulf the minimal space. :headache: No sir, I would much rather be beachside, dockside, loungeside, or on a balcony/patio viewing and not fighting the crowds inside and leaving the MK.

All of that said, I have no problem with Illuminations. . .:rotfl2:

I couldn't agree with you more! Once every few years we get the urge to go into MK and watch the night time parade du jour and stay for Wishes. While there we always look at one another and question our sanity for doing so. The crowds are really more than I can handle while standing in one position.

I am fine if it is extremely crowded and we are moving around a park, but the standing and place holding thing drives me nuts! I feel as if I need to be a defensive lineman to keep people out of my space and heaven forbid if one person in the group leaves for a bathroom/refreshment trip! The crowd tends to push in and tries to engulf the minimal space. :headache: No sir, I would much rather be beachside, dockside, loungeside, or on a balcony/patio viewing and not fighting the crowds inside and leaving the MK.

All of that said, I have no problem with Illuminations. . .:rotfl2:

Could not agree with you more!! Just trying to get back to the Poly after wishes is like fighting a five horned Billy goat on steroids! :rotfl2: Tess your absolutely on the money with that one! :thumbsup2

Could not agree with you more!! Just trying to get back to the Poly after wishes is like fighting a five horned Billy goat on steroids! :rotfl2: Tess your absolutely on the money with that one! :thumbsup2

Thanks Carl, it is a learning curve and we have bent it a few times. Our last experience was on 2009, so we are good for many years! :lmao: Now, Illuminations on the other hand. . .well, I guess that is why we stay at EPCOT resorts for Food & Wine. Easy in and easy out. . .those resorts are not the beloved Polynesian, but it is a heck of a lot easier to exit at the International Gateway and visit ESPN. :goodvibes We do love our Illuminations!

We've had breakfast and dinner at Kona and dinner at Ohana and enjoyed all those meals! With this being our first stay at the Poly, I'm trying to decide if we want to take advantage of the convenience of eating most of our meals at our "home" resort. What do you all do? Do you book more ADRs at the Poly when you stay there or not so much? I'd like to do Ohana breakfast, but am kind of up in the air for our other ADRs at this point.

We've had breakfast and dinner at Kona and dinner at Ohana and enjoyed all those meals! With this being our first stay at the Poly, I'm trying to decide if we want to take advantage of the convenience of eating most of our meals at our "home" resort. What do you all do? Do you book more ADRs at the Poly when you stay there or not so much? I'd like to do Ohana breakfast, but am kind of up in the air for our other ADRs at this point.

I try NOT to book any Poly restaurants when we are not staying there! It's WAY too painful to leave!!! I have Kona and Ohana dinners for this trip, may try to squeeze in a breakfast at Kona-

You should be talking me out of it! You don't want to share Hawaii with DS :rotfl:

Hey, my two will make friends with ANYONE!! In fact, DS5 (will be 6 by our trip) made friends with a little girl behind us on the plane on the way to WDW. Her mom and I exchanged emails because we had a taken a few pics of them. She said her daughter was so upset when we lost each other by DME that she started crying!! DS kept looking for his new friend because we were both going to AK the next day. He'd LOVE to have another boy to pal around with in the lounge or at the pool!

Looks like the other post that this user has done is also a 'copy' of a post. Very odd.

I think it is strange that he/she would copy my post from several pages back. I know it isn't anyone here... my kids are not allowed on my laptop (the only computer with internet in our house) and my husband is not a Disney fan so I am sure he is not browsing on here. :)

Thanks for the warm welcome! I have read the first 100 pages of this thread and looked over tikiman's site. I know I want a balcony and I'm leaning towards requesting Samoa.

I am looking forward to reading the rest of the posts on this thread. :) I have a lot to learn, I had planned to stay at POR again, but my DH didn't love the theming so he jumped at the chance to stay at a monorail resort when we got the 40% off code.

Can someone remind me how tall you have to be to go down the pool slide? For some reason I have 48 inches stuck in my head, but that may just be from RNRC. (not sure that acroymn is right). My eldest is already past that height, but my two little ones will be lucky to make it by December.

Thanks!

Hey, my two will make friends with ANYONE!! In fact, DS5 (will be 6 by our trip) made friends with a little girl behind us on the plane on the way to WDW. Her mom and I exchanged emails because we had a taken a few pics of them. She said her daughter was so upset when we lost each other by DME that she started crying!! DS kept looking for his new friend because we were both going to AK the next day. He'd LOVE to have another boy to pal around with in the lounge or at the pool!

That's so cute! DS has social skills issues due to his ASD. He either takes to kids right away or wants nothing to do with them. Needless to say we have very few play dates and I put in a lot of time playing with Transformers and Power Rangers lol

I'm cutting it close, but a new thread is coming soon! :goodvibes

Does anyone have any photos of the bus stop at the Poly, or a bus at the bus stop, or something along those lines? I've never really had a chance to shoot any. I have plenty of bus photos, but nothing at the Poly.

I'm also looking for photos of the insides of the shops (Boutiki, Samoa Snacks, Trader Jack's and Wyland Galleries).

If you'd be willing to hook me up with a couple for the thread, PM me and I'll send you my e-mail address. Thanks!:thumbsup2

That's so cute! DS has social skills issues due to his ASD. He either takes to kids right away or wants nothing to do with them. Needless to say we have very few play dates and I put in a lot of time playing with Transformers and Power Rangers lol

DS's best friend in his class (because, of course, there are all different kinds of best friends in different situations...his class best friend, his other best friend, his family best friend and on and on and on... ;)) is on the spectrum with some massive sensory issues. His little girlfriend from last year had some physical disabilities, and he would always walk with one hand on her back and sit next to her so he could help her up or down. :goodvibes DS is very patient, so maybe they'll hit it off if we run into each other.

DS's best friend in his class (because, of course, there are all different kinds of best friends ;)) is on the spectrum with some massive sensory issues. His little girlfriend from last year had some physical disabilities, and he would always walk with one hand on her back and sit next to her so he could help her up or down. :goodvibes DS is very patient, so maybe they'll hit it off if we run into each other.

Awesome! Your DS sounds like an absolute little cutie. The kindest I have seen DS been is with his little sister in my belly. He wants to hug and rub her all the time and constantly talks about taking care of her. I'm convinced there's an alien impostor of my son in my house. :rotfl:

Awesome! Your DS sounds like an absolute little cutie. The kindest I have seen DS been is with his little sister in my belly. He wants to hug and rub her all the time and constantly talks about taking care of her. I'm convinced there's an alien impostor of my son in my house. :rotfl:

Aww!! You never know what will click for kids. My little cousin was a WILD little tomboy until she got a baby sister. She's so calm and caring with the baby. :lovestruc Of course, she's still wild with the older kids. ;)

I'm cutting it close, but a new thread is coming soon! :goodvibes

Does anyone have any photos of the bus stop at the Poly, or a bus at the bus stop, or something along those lines? I've never really had a chance to shoot any. I have plenty of bus photos, but nothing at the Poly.

I'm also looking for photos of the insides of the shops (Boutiki, Samoa Snacks, Trader Jack's and Wyland Galleries).

If you'd be willing to hook me up with a couple for the thread, PM me and I'll send you my e-mail address. Thanks!:thumbsup2

the actual bus stop in my opnion is not really photogenic.. here is a couple of the signs at stop. pm me if you would like them.
signatbusstop.jpg

busstops.jpg

another sign
anothersignatbusstop.jpg

I didnt see a seating chart for spirit of aloha
spiritofalohaseatinchart.jpg

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
We made the "mistake" of watching Wishes from the Poly boat dock in 2008 and will NEVER do that again. My family HATED it. WAY too far away for us. I will only watch them in the park from now on. (BUT we don't have small children, which I know makes a difference)

the first time we ever went to visit the mouse. we had no idea why everyone was gathered in front of the castle. until fireworks starting going off. (rookies):rotfl2:

We really enjoy the fireworks from the Poly. you get the full picture and nary a firework is missed. with this new light show on cindarella castle we are going to have to brave the crowds in the park. maybe we will just swim back to the resort after the show.:lmao:

just went below 120 days. wait its 118!:woohoo:

here is a sign of the magical express stop at the Poly

disney09407.jpg

its cold its icky. soo here is some pics of the worlds best resort!:cool1:

here is the Poly bell station
bellstationPoly.jpg

here is a couple of my favorite Ohana pics. some here have seen them before.
ohana.jpg

another Pic
ohana2.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter