• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Alligator Incident Discussion/Fence being built at Grand Floridian?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this a temporary fence? I mean until something better themed comes along? I noticed in some online pics they are already running rope through the posts without painting/staining or anything. Not sure what to say here.

Pic from Orlando Sentinel
650x366

Since the lake is man made, it likely wouldn't qualify as a wetland. Regardless, there would be plenty of support if they decided to do this, but I don't think it will happen.
Edit: Just saw that you mentioned Bay Lake, and not the Seven Seas Lagoon. The lagoon is man made. Not sure about Bay Lake to the east.

Bay Lake is natural

Last edited:
While this was a tragic, unimaginable, horrible event, it is a rare occurrence. People have dipped there toes in the yucky water at Disney for years. Heck, for years you could water ski, rent mouse boats and jet ski among some of the water activities. I recall seeing the characters water skiing in a show but can't remember where exactly it was. I also remember swimming from the beach at Wilderness campgrounds with the only thing keeping you from going outside the swimming boundaries was a floating rope. It's always been a large body of water in Florida and probably always had at least one gator or snake. While aware of the hazards that prey in the water I allowed my children to dip there toes, peek at ducklings at the waters edge, watch a snake or two cross the walking paths but always with a watchful eye (never imagined something like this could happen). Yes, I have seen gators and I have seen a crew on the waters gator hunting. That said I was sick to my stomach at this tragic news and of course like thousands (probably millions) of others thought "OMG that could have been my child". I think the fence is a great idea, along with the new signs, a deterrent to remind you that hazards lurk, but still aesthetically pleasing. I pray for the family of little Lane. I pray for Lane's parents who didn't do anything different than millions of other parents did. While people will complain about the location of the fence and how it won't keep people/things in or out it will be a constant reminder of the events on June 14 and be a reminder to all; to be careful, be watchful and be safe even on vacation.

Where did you see these go up?
Is this a temporary fence? I mean until something better themed comes along? I noticed in some online pics they are already running rope through the posts without painting/staining or anything. Not sure what to say here.

Pic from Orlando Sentinel
650x366

Yes and not sure where I read it as I have read so much lately. This is a temporary situation. Until they can come up with something that is visually pleasing and effective.

At AK Lodge, with camera surveillance on all the savannas, a guest who is observed dropping food into the savanna, from a balcony or elsewhere, becomes an ex-guest. Setting up similar surveillance, and with similar consequences, for the bungalows - though getting a camera in the right spot may be problematic - seems a step in the right direction.

I think this is a great choice. Easily "readable" for the thousands of guests including all who are visiting from all around the world. Sure beats "no swimming".

Yes, this simple act would have saved one boy's life and millions of dollars in revenue from families who no longer trust the company they've grown to love and admire since the 1970s.

The two things that come out of this situation are that Disney knew of the risks and chose to keep them from us, and the resorts have scores of alligators right under the noses of customers paying a small fortune for the privilege of staying at a vacation property that should be perfectly safe.

At AK Lodge, with camera surveillance on all the savannas, a guest who is observed dropping food into the savanna, from a balcony or elsewhere, becomes an ex-guest. Setting up similar surveillance, and with similar consequences, for the bungalows - though getting a camera in the right spot may be problematic - seems a step in the right direction.

That's fine for the bungalows. But what about all of the other areas where the majority of this stupid activity is occurring? I've seen this activity in several of the parks and different resorts. In Frontierland by the Rivers of America seems to be a common spot. But I've also seen it at Epcot, POR, POFQ, and CBR. I've seen people toss food off ferries and resort launches. The new beach signs include warnings against feeding them. But they've had signs in the parks for years about not feeding the birds. And we all know how effective those have been.

I have seen many people feeding the turtles at the Beach Club Villas but not alligators!!!! I've been coming to Disney for over 20 years and have never seen a gator on property although now that I think about it, I'm not surprised they are there. I presumed that Disney monitored these waters and there were no issues. Then again I'm not from Florida and perhaps gave Disney too much credit. Inexcusable that there were not warning signs for alligators especially since they have pulled out seven gators and still counting. Terrifying!!!!

Last edited:
Walt Disney World should be doing what millions of the guests expected they have been doing since the 1970s; trapping and removing the alligators.

From previous threads, I thought the majority of visitors (before this week) didn't even know there were alligators at WDW. :rolleyes2

And Disney is not allowed to trap and remove any alligators. By law, that job falls to the State Wildlife dept. Which they do, once a gator has reached a given size. If you have a problem with that, take it up with the State of Florida.

Yes, this simple act would have saved one boy's life and millions of dollars in revenue from families who no longer trust the company they've grown to love and admire since the 1970s.

The first part might be true, but I doubt Disney is going to lose any revenue because of this. Sure, some people may stop going, but plenty of people still will.

The two things that come out of this situation are that Disney knew of the risks and chose to keep them from us, and the resorts have scores of alligators right under the noses of customers paying a small fortune for the privilege of staying at a vacation property that should be perfectly safe.

There is no place, home or on vacation that is "perfectly safe". That is the scary assumption that people make - that because a lot of money is being spent to stay at WDW, that you are somehow safe from animals, criminal activity etc. I would like to know what exactly Disney has kept from anyone. Have they ever declared the waters to be alligator free? As far as I have seen, the risk of alligator attack at WDW is minimal given it has happened twice in the last 25 years or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter