Alligator Incident Discussion/Fence being built at Grand Floridian?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Couldn't they have at least put the fence just inside the water line to allow wading and getting wet sand for sand castles?

Couldn't they have at least put the fence just inside the water line to allow wading and getting wet sand for sand castles?

The boy that was killed was wading. That is exactly what they want to stop. The fence is to keep people out not the alligators.

Before I knew about this fence I was wondering if they could have submerged a chain link fence that could keep alligators out yet wouldn't be too obtrusive.

The boy that was killed was wading. That is exactly what they want to stop. The fence is to keep people out not the alligators.

The boy that was killed was several feet out into the water. If the alligator got THAT close to the shore they'll happily go under this fence too.

And yes I *AM* serious. I said WATER LINE. Enough to get your feet wet at best. That PLUS the signs saying "here be alligators" should be enough for safety and reponsible parenting/caretaking.

More people have been killed at Disney because of Mission Space than alligators but I don't see calls for shutting that down -
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mission:_Space#Controversy

I'm sure the current fence will be a temporary/short-term solution. They'll need to figure out the right safety-aesthetic balance for a fence, as well as any other mitigation things, like maybe lining the shores near guest-trafficked areas with gravel or something that gators would avoid. That’ll take months.

Why would they do that? A child just died at the water's edge because the splashing attracted the gator. With a fence like this, that still could have happened if they installed it as you suggest. The point of the fence is to keep people away from the water altogether. If you really want to make sand castles, bring bottled water.

The boy that was killed was several feet out into the water. If the alligator got THAT close to the shore they'll happily go under this fence too.

And yes I *AM* serious. I said WATER LINE. Enough to get your feet wet at best. That PLUS the signs saying "here be alligators" should be enough for safety and reponsible parenting/caretaking.

More people have been killed at Disney because of Mission Space than alligators but I don't see calls for shutting that down -

There were quite a few here on the DIS back when they happened. It's one of the things that led to the Green version of M:S.

The fence is not there to keep the Gators from getting through. The fence is there to keep all guests completely and totally out of the water, as they should be.

I think we're being trolled here folks, but I'll bite on this one:
Reading the whole wiki page helps: "Two people have died after completing the ride, although due to pre-existing conditions — one, a 4-year-old boy, with an undiagnosed heart condition, and the other, a 49-year-old woman, from a stroke due to high blood pressure."

A monster grabbing a child in a lake is hardly similar to a ride triggering pre-existing conditions THAT WOULD HAVE MATERIALIZED EVENTUALLLY!

I personally haven't seen a single report that would indicate that baby Lane was "several feet out into the water". He was wading in ankle deep water. He was 2 years old, so what? 35 inches tall? Give or take a few inches....I guarantee he was not several feet out into the water.

No but might stop a lawsuit or two.

Remember the lawsuit that was filed not too long ago where a family claimed that grandmas death was disneys fault? Grandma was on vacation with grandson and his mom and dad. Grandson was bit by a snake at a Disney park, treated there and continued on their way. A few days later grandma has heart attack and died. Family claims heart attack was caused by witnessing grandson being bitten by snake- blames Disney. The snake was not an escaped Disney snake, just a snake that was wild. cant recall if case was settled or ruled on. What can Disney do about events like these? Wildlife is all around us. Could the signs have been better? If signs had said "stay out of water -gators, snakes and amoebas present" and this event happened anyway would Disney be at fault? It's a horrible situation but I am having trouble putting blame on anyone. It was a terrible terrible situation.

No....what is in that water is dangerous. Period. The entire idea is to keep people completely away form the water. Gators are not the only hazard living there.

There is a zero entry pool next door to the beach that is completely safe for getting your feet wet or to get a bucket of water from. PLEASE do not go into any bodies of water in Florida, other than swimming pools/hot tubs.

So, a fence to keep people from going into the water, but nothing to stop gators from coming onto the beach. Am I missing something here?

I foresee one of those iron fences that are tall, not slatted with chicken wire at the base on the gator side, but what do I know.

HTB11sCMHVXXXXXnXFXXq6xXFXXXw.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter