Alligator dragged 2 year old into 7 seas lagoon

I hope they don't sue Disney.

I can see Disney comping their rooms, meals, tickets, and transportation back home. NOTE: I don't think Disney HAS to do that, but I think it would be the "right" thing to do.

They're going to get something pretty hefty. I don't even know if they will really file a court claim, since Disney is going to come right to them and tell them they don't need to. If I were them I would retain an attorney paid hourly. It's not going to take a whole lot of work.

From what I've read, they were in about 1 foot deep of water when the alligator came up. For a toddler, that would be about half of his body in the water.
I understood it as he was about 1 foot from the edge of the water, in ankle depth. Not that it matters, really. Their chid is dead. And they can't change it.

I heard speculation on CNN that the family will get a massive payoff from Disney to avoid a trial.

That would be my guess as well. Disney has paid off people/familes who have been severely injured or died in the past, even when Disney was not at fault.

Only in Quebec! :)
This is why I asked :p
2h4kvx1.jpg

That would be my guess as well. Disney has paid off people/familes who have been severely injured or died in the past, even when Disney was not at fault.

It's usually cheaper in the long run for the companies to pay out instead of going to trial. Less bad publicity, less money to lawyers, etc.

My heart aches for what these parents are going through. I hope and expect Disney will do everything they can to make a terrible situation easier. They may end up paying a lot of money but I don't think Disney should be guilty for an act of nature. This was just a horrible accident. It would be nice if Disney would permanently memorialize Lane in some way but I understand that might contrast with WDW as the happiest place on earth.

For the future I think Disney has to make changes to make it harder for people to get in the water at those beaches. Rocks, steep drop off or wooden wall. I have stayed in Big Pine Key at the Grand Floridian (the building closest to this accident) several times and the nightly noises coming from that marshy island near that building were enough to tell me not to get in the water but Disney needs to make it harder for people not as cautious.

TMZ is reporting they comped rooms for many staying at GF as a result of this incident, though they weren't clear on details

I've been hoping they would fly them home on a private jet as well. I can't imagine the pain of watching other families returning from their Disney vacations on the same flight. I know they'll have to face those types of things eventually, but that can wait. I trust Disney is doing quite a bit for them right now, at least I hope that is the case.
Not sure, what Disney's lawyers are advising them to do, I can only speculate. Although, my hope is someone will step up...lots of private jets in Florida (and elsewhere).

TMZ is reporting they comped rooms for many staying at GF as a result of this incident, though they weren't clear on details

Well, TMZ are right up there with the national enquirer ..but in the scheme of things ..so irrelevant.
It must be the saddest place ..
Poor Disney ..all the self entitled will come out of the woodwork now.

Well, TMZ are right up there with the national enquirer ..but in the scheme of things ..so irrelevant.
It must be the saddest place ..
Poor Disney ..all the self entitled will come out of the woodwork now.
No, TMZ is typically right...they might print things many people don't care to read, but they print true stories. National Enquirer not the same at all.

... I'm sure there will be changes coming in the future from Disney, and I'm sure there will be discussion of who is at or not at fault, but at least right now can't we just keep this family in our prayers and for those of you who don't believe in prayer, then keep them in your thoughts.

Disney will change the signage. Maybe even remove the beach area, put down rocks, make it a sharp drop off point. It won't help this family, but it may help the next one.

Vilifying the parents does not help. Saying what they should have done or should have known does not help. When accidents happen, we should rally around those suffering and offer support, not condemnation. Then we should do what we can to try to prevent these things from happening again. We cannot prevent all accidents, but let's move forward and see what changes can be made to lessen the chance of an accident like this from occurring again.

For the future I think Disney has to make changes to make it harder for people to get in the water at those beaches. Rocks, steep drop off or wooden wall. I have stayed in Big Pine Key at the Grand Floridian (the building closest to this accident) several times and the nightly noises coming from that marshy island near that building were enough to tell me not to get in the water but Disney needs to make it harder for people not as cautious.

I can't stop thinking about what this poor family is going through, and will continue to deal with for the rest of their lives. I can not even imagine the pain and heartache they are suffering. Such a horrific loss. My prayers and thoughts continue to be with this precious little boy and his family.

I agree with everyone saying that Disney will do more to prevent anything like this happening again. I don't think the NO SWIMMNG signs are enough. Like others have mentioned, the signs aren't visible at night and people interpret the meaning of "no swimming" in different ways. Perhaps some type of physical barrier would keep people from entering the water. How about large landscaping boulders/rocks placed along the water's edge, something that would fit in with the environment, but prevent people from even dipping their toes in the water. And put up signs that say STAY OUT OF THE WATER and another that says STAY OFF THE ROCKS. Maybe even a sign warning people to stay off the beaches from dusk till dawn.

And maybe the nightly movies on the beach should be moved to a different location on the property.

I don't know the answer...I just know my heart aches for this family and I pray and hope nothing like this ever happens again.

This is why I asked :p
2h4kvx1.jpg

Ha! I love Mange mes brief! Reminds me of a Quebecois Valley Girl schtick my friends and I used to do: "Oh mon dieu! Gag-moi avec une cuillere!"

Where's this picture from?

(For the record, only Quebec has laws requiring that signs be bilingual.)

I haven't been to the boards in over a year now, but came by yesterday after I heard the news. The "Keyboard warriors" were out in full force on social media and it hurt my heart. I was pleasantly surprised to read a lot of support on this thread for the family. I also read every page and found a thoughtful, intelligent (mostly) compassionate discussion about the tragedy. Restored my faith a little bit.

My heart goes out to this family.

Last edited:
Ha! I love Mange mes brief! Reminds me of a Quebecois Valley Girl schtick my friends and I used to do: "Oh mon dieu! Gag-moi avec une cuillere!"

An old John candy movie called Canadian bacon.

They got pulled by RCMP because the "signs" on their truck were only in English.

So the cop made them put the French on the truck.

Sorry OT
I can assure you that a real Quebecois would say Mange mes bobettes and not briefs... I know this first hand, I am one of those pesky French-Canadian. ;)

An old John candy movie called Canadian bacon.

They got pulled by RCMP because the "signs" on their truck were only in English.

So the cop made them put the French on the truck.

I keep meaning to see that movie!

But the RCMP would never go around enforcing Quebec sign laws. That's purely the job of the "Commission for the Protection of the French Language" in Quebec, as far as I know. On the other hand, having the RCMP do it is probably funnier. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter