All Things Galveston (Updated - 5/21/14)

Hmm...I've been mulling this over and can't really decide what I would do if I were in your place. :confused3 I can give you some information, I don't know if it will help anything. :crazy2: All of the car rental companies are in one place, separate from the terminal buildings, and require a shuttle. The shuttle can take from 5 to 10 minutes to get from the terminal to the rental location. The same is true that when you drop the car off you have to drop at the rental building and take a shuttle back to the terminals.

OK, so if I had to make a decision this is what I think I would do. I am wondering if you can do DCL to get down to Galveston (there is a liquor store on the Strand that is walking distance from the cruise terminal) and then a private town car back to IAH, which means you could spend the day in Galveston? Dickens on the Strand is going to be going on in Galveston the Saturday that you get back. It starts at 10 am, so you could spend almost all day enjoying that and then get a town car back to the airport at about 5 pm.

HTH's. :thumbsup2 Let us know what you end up doing. :goodvibes

Personally, if you aren't planning anything else besides transportation to and from the port and a visit to a liquor store, then I would use Disney transportation instead of the hassle of a rental and dealing with traffic. Like PP said, there is a liquor store within walking distance of the port. Using Disney transportation assures that you will board the ship in Galveston even if there is a traffic delay, which is not unheard of on I-45 between Houston and Galveston. On the flip side of that, I can understand the desire to have your own transportation and not having to ride a bus (not one of my more favorite activities).

Thanks for the replies! I think we'll end up staying with DCL transfers...it just makes more sense, and is a safer bet.

We were on the Nov. 9-16 cruise out of Galveston. We used Cool Tours for our airport shuttle. I can't say enough positive things about this company!! Steve, the owner, met us at the airport and drove us to our hotel in Galveston. He was our driver on the return trip to Hobby, too. The shuttle van was newer and very clean! Steve also had complimentary bottles of water for us. He was very informative and shared lots of Galveston history on our drive. The total fee was $200/round trip plus tip. I highly recommend this company!

We just booked at the Towneplace Suites Galveston Island Gulf Front and they offer free shuttle service to and from port as well as free parking for your cruise. The rates are actually really good and they just opened this past Spring. Their pool looks really nice as well.

Hi, has anyone parked and shuttled with Towneplace Suites? Hoping to get some updates/feedback. How is their shuttle service? I'm more concerned with the shuttle timings and frequency and would appreciate any info on that. Thanks!

Hi, has anyone parked and shuttled with Towneplace Suites? Hoping to get some updates/feedback. How is their shuttle service? I'm more concerned with the shuttle timings and frequency and would appreciate any info on that. Thanks!

We just returned from the Nov 16-23 sailing & stayed/parked at Townplace Suites. They were really hustling to get folks to the ship on departure day & I was very pleased with their service. We did have to wait about an hour for our pickup when we returned, and it was in a chilly drizzle. It may have been weather-related, or perhaps because there were 2 ships in port and only 1 on our departure day. Nevertheless, I think the hotel offered a great value for our $ - it was clean, the staff was super helpful & friendly, and parking was in a garage not in the open. I would stay there again.

We just returned from the Nov 16-23 sailing & stayed/parked at Townplace Suites. They were really hustling to get folks to the ship on departure day & I was very pleased with their service. We did have to wait about an hour for our pickup when we returned, and it was in a chilly drizzle. It may have been weather-related, or perhaps because there were 2 ships in port and only 1 on our departure day. Nevertheless, I think the hotel offered a great value for our $ - it was clean, the staff was super helpful & friendly, and parking was in a garage not in the open. I would stay there again.

Thanks for reporting back! :-)

We are sailing out of Galveston on Dec 14th. Last week I had booked a midsize car - with taxes it was going to be $275 for the week. I checked on Thrifty.com today and the weekly rate for a midsize car is now $75 - which is only $150 with taxes! No coupon code needed - great deal!

We are sailing out of Galveston on Dec 14th. Last week I had booked a midsize car - with taxes it was going to be $275 for the week. I checked on Thrifty.com today and the weekly rate for a midsize car is now $75 - which is only $150 with taxes! No coupon code needed - great deal!

That is a great deal! We are on the same cruise. If you haven't done so join our facebook group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/616804305001868/

Just wanted to update my thread since DCL has surprised us all by returning to the beautiful island of Galveston. :goodvibes All the info is in the first post. Please let me know if anything is missing that would be helpful to you!

-gina-

Thanks for resurrecting this post! I hope to convince DH to book Nov 27th onboard the Fantasy next week ;)

Yes! Thank you so much for all the information! We just booked the 12/11 :santa:departure. I am from South Texas and spent a summer in Clear Lake. We visited Galveston dozens of times.

I look forward to going back. It's a whole different way of life on the island which is a stark contrast to the hustle and bustle of Houston.

Thought I'd give the scoop on our recent hotel stay at Harbor House on Sept 27th for our Wonder cruise. You pay $10 parking for the one night, but since they are a sister hotel to Hotel Galvez, you can park your car there free for the week.

We liked the hotel, which had a view, and we watched the Wonder come in. The rooms were adequate and clean, but must have thin walls because we heard everything! The continental breakfast was fine for us consisting of instant Kashi oatmeal, a tray of danishes, and a tray of breads to toast, orange juice, apple juice, water, tea and coffee. And apples, oranges, and bananas.

The only 'down' side to this hotel was that when we arrived, I asked how the shuttle worked. She explained that she'd have to call Hotel Galvez and see what time I could board their shuttle for the port after taking my car over there on Saturday morning. The earliest time she had was 12:30 pm! :eek: I told her my PAT time was 11am, and she said that was the best she could do. I asked her if this shuttle time was something I should have booked months ago, and she said "No, I have to call them". So, in lieu of taking their shuttle, we were going to drop off part of our family at the port with all the luggage, and one of us take the car to Hotel Galvez and then take a taxi over to the port. However, one of our wonderful Dis'ers (ukintheus), who we met at the hotel, came over and offered to shuttle us back to the port from the hotel. What a blessing! So, a heads up for those future cruisers staying at HH. Know before you go, that parking is free, but their shuttle is at their time, not yours. :thumbsup2

bump!

We are planning on driving over from Southwest Louisiana the day before our December 2015 cruise and stay at Harbor House...as of now. I booked the room but am now waffling between doing this and staying at Inn at the Waterpark with cruise package. I'm under the weather today but once I feel better I'll call Harbor House and ask about parking for the week. This is our first cruise and this parking deal is all new to me!

I love Galveston and its closeness to us. I've been multiple times and still have plenty to do. I want to do the ice sculptures at Moody Gardens and have yet to make Dickens on the Strand. I have such great memories of Galveston.

I have gone by myself to the sand sculpture contest in early summer. I was going through a hard time and needed to get away and it was a great trip. Another time my mom, sister and I took the ferry over and hung out for the day with lots of bonding time. I have gone on several bachelorette parties there. My husband and I have done a long weekend here as well.

Last summer my husband had to work the weekend and I was off of work on a Friday, called my mom up and asked if she could get off work and we headed over for a Friday evening/Saturday trip and had a blast. I got a good rate at the Moody Gardens hotel with access to Palm Beach and we had a blast. Rainforest Cafe for lunch on Friday, Palm Beach Friday evening, Palm Beach Saturday morning and the Pier in the afternoon before heading back home.

Is Joe's Crab Shack still open on Seawall Blvd?

It is, right around Seawall and 35th. But even though they're right there by the water, most of the chain places have frozen seafood distributed to them from a central location somewhere far away. If you want fresh, a local place would be your best bet! :-)

I have cruised out of Galveston many times & use E-Z cruise to park. If you book on line there is a $5 discount.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter