Alfredo's closing permanently?

How many restaurants do you need to have before you become a chain? For Alfredo's I count four restaurants, Rome, New York, Orlando and soon in Las Vegas.
In addition to the original Alfredo of Rome in Italy, there are currently only two other locations -- one in Rockefeller Center in New York, and one at Epcot in Florida. Essentially that's a main location and two branch locations. I would not call that a chain. (Another location is planned for Las Vegas, but does not yet exist.)

In comparison, Maggiano's Little Italy has four locations just in Chicago -- one in the actual city of Chicago and three in suburban Chicago area shopping meccas. There are other Maggiano's locations in metropolitan areas throughout the United States.

As far as Alfredo's being an Italian concept, well it may be, but Fettucine Alfredo is not. It was started here in the US as a take off on Fettucine Al Burro in Italy which is butter and noodles. So, I'm not sure how "authentic" you want to get when it comes to this current restaurant.
Yes, Fettuccine Alfredo is based on Fettuccine al burro. But Fettuccine Alfredo didn't start in the United States. It was started in Rome by the restauranteur Alfredo di Lelio -- hence the name Fettuccine Alfredo. And that's the same Alfredo as in the name of L' Originale Alfredo di Roma Ristorante at Epcot.

Fettuccine Alfredo is American in that the dish became famous because Mary Pickford and Douglas Fairbanks liked it during their 1927 honeymoon, and popularized it upon their return to the US. Even now Fettuccine Alfredo is a dish that is popular primarily with Americans.

I only ate at Alfredo at Epcot once, and that was probably around ten years ago. The fact that we haven't been back should tell you what we thought of our overall experience at the restaurant.

It seems that Disney might again be working with an outside restauranteur on the replacement for Alfredo. That's fine -- if it's a good restaurant and if it's not something that's already in metropolitan areas throughout the United States. I would be happy to have an offshoot of another famous eatery in Italy (ideally one that's better than Alfredo). I'd also be happy if Disney chefs and Imagineers collaborate on a one-of-a-kind restaurant that captures the essence of successful, traditional restaurants in Italy. I'd be disappointed if it were a Macaroni Grill, Olive Garden, Maggiano's Little Italy, Buca di Beppo, or Carrabba's Italian Grill -- and I don't think Disney would do anything like that.

Unfortunately, I still hope it won't be a Landry's restaurant. They have two operations that fit that seafood/Italian style. Grotto and La Griglia. And given that Landry's has Rainforest, T-Rex and Yak & Yeti at WDW...

If it is a Landry's incarnation, I wouldn't expect anything "above average" as far as quality, or even anything remotely "Authentic Italian."

Unfortunately, I still hope it won't be a Landry's restaurant. They have two operations that fit that seafood/Italian style. Grotto and La Griglia. And given that Landry's has Rainforest, T-Rex and Yak & Yeti at WDW...

If it is a Landry's incarnation, I wouldn't expect anything "above average" as far as quality, or even anything remotely "Authentic Italian."

:sad:

I'm always surprised at the bad reviews at Alfredo's. I've eaten there five times spread over several years and I've always had excellent food and service. Then again, I prefer to dine quickly and always have the signature dish, so that may explain it.

I hate to lose this, but if it's not going to be better...why?:confused3

My wife and I love to have at least one meal at Alfredo's in Epcot on every Disney trip. It is one of our longstanding Disney World traditions. Looks like March 19, 2007 will be our last meal there. Alfredo's will be missed on future trips.

I'm really not surprised.

I had the worst meal of my entire life there in 2005. I barely made it back to our room before it came back up. (I'm sorry.) I really don't enjoy food poisoning.

I don't mind chain restaurants at Downtown Disney -- for some reason it seems appropriate there. But I agree, not in the parks.
So you objected to Alfredo's in the first place. I'm not so sure I agree. I've had better meals at some chain restaurants than I've had at some independent restaurants -- better food, better service, and a more special experience, which is really what matters IMHO.

So you objected to Alfredo's in the first place. I'm not so sure I agree. I've had better meals at some chain restaurants than I've had at some independent restaurants -- better food, better service, and a more special experience, which is really what matters IMHO.

My concern with chain restaurants is not quality. In fact there is an Abuelo's close to us that is nothing short of wonderful. I would just like to see unique restaurants in the parks, and in WS ones that I can at least pretend are representative of their respective home countries, even if it takes a lot of pretending. But no suspension of belief is adequate if they are part of a US-based chain. (For me, two or three restaurants does not constitute a chain.)

That's too bad. Alfredo's was the first restaurant we ate at in Epcot back in 2004. Food was very good although the price was a little high (wasn't used to WDW food prices at the time).
The service was great and my daughter really liked our server. Tall, dark, handsome Italian - oh yeah, she really liked him. :)
I hope the previous poster was joking when he said Pizza Hut. That would be terrible.

That's funny! A few years ago my then 18-year-old daughter was also VERY smitten with an adorable Italian waiter in Alfredos. Mom didn't mind looking at him either ;)

How many restaurants do you need to have before you become a chain? For Alfredo's I count four restaurants, Rome, New York, Orlando and soon in Las Vegas. As far as Alfredo's being an Italian concept, well it may be, but Fettucine Alfredo is not. It was started here in the US as a take off on Fettucine Al Burro in Italy which is butter and noodles. So, I'm not sure how "authentic" you want to get when it comes to this current restaurant. Another Disney web site is now stating that the new concept will be a Italian Fish & Grill... or something on that order. The person stating this is a current CM in Epcot.

Personally, I wouldn't consider Alfredos a chain, just because it has 4restaurants worldwide. I don't consider Emeril's, Mario Batalli's, or Bobby Flay's restaurants to be chains and they certainly have more than 3 or 4 restaurants worldwide. I think chains have standardized menus throughout all their restaurants. I know Alfredos has different offerings in New York (I haven't eaten there, but my son did.)

I would NOT like to see a chain restaurant in Epcot, but unfortunately Disney doesn't always stick to "tradition" like we like them to. Money is the bottom line.

I hope the Italian Fish & Grill is right. That would be great!

ones that I can at least pretend are representative of their respective home countries, even if it takes a lot of pretending. But no suspension of belief is adequate if they are part of a US-based chain.
Hehe... well I don't really see the difference. The point of an ethnic restaurant is to be "representative of their respective home countries" so I would expect chains to be able to accomplish that as well as, if not better than (since they focus on food first) Disney can.

I just found out today that Alfredo's is closing....

Can anyone tell me if they have announced a replacement yet and if it will be open for our late Oct visit?

Thanks.....

A bunch of us were planning on eating at Alfredo's on Aug 30th, the last day they will be open. I am worried about the quality of the food on this day. Afraid what will be served will be whatever is lying around and also worried about them not being worried about the quality of their food and customer service...ya know, the attitude of "well, who cares we're gone anyway" kinda thing. Anyone have any experiences/opinions on my worries? (just thought I'd add that we have never eaten there before, not that it matters, I guess)

Only comparison I can give is when we ate at the "old" Chef Mickeys (when it was at the Disney Marketplace) a week before it closed. Food was wretched, service perfunctory.

Not that this would happen at Alfredo's and it could even be they would go out with a bang and flourish. But I think not, so I kinda agree with Wetwhistle and Pirate.

DH & I had this discussion the other night.

We currently have ressies for 8/24but have decided to make other plans.

No new announcement yet.

As for Oct I think it will depend on whether it changes hands "overnight" or closes for a remodel.

We always enjoyed our meals at Alfredo's. And, frankly, we loved that there was some history there -- the walls in the lobby are lined with photos of movie stars from the 40's dining at the original Alfredo's in Rome. DH always enjoyed seeing the picture of Orson Wells (one of his favorite actors) dining at Alfredo's in Rome some 60 years ago. Are we the only ones who looked at the photos?

In addition, we loved the Fetuccine Alfredo (it always seemed pretty authentic -- and I appreciate the historical info from other posters). The tiramisu is great, too, and they had some interesting choices on their wine list, which we enjoyed.

IMO, 3-4 restaurants worldwide do not a "chain" make. Disney has to consider what patrons are paying for when they buy a $70 entrance fee into Epcot. They aren't paying for the opportunity to eat at a chain restaurant from their hometown. I think the issue is particularly acute at Epcot as there really isn't all that much to do at Epcot and in World Showcase other than eat and shop (how many times can you watch a 20-year-old travelogue about a country?).

If the WS restaurants start to be merely chain restaurants one can dine in at home, what really is the point?

This topic is so timely. My husband and I were just talking about our last meal at Alfredo's in May 2006. We had 7 (4 adults and our 3 kids) and the meal was HORRIBLE! We have had better microwave meals! It was so disappointing since we plan a dinner there every time we go (I have been 30 times!). I feel that it has gotten progressively worse over the past 2 years. The quality of the food cannot compare to other great restaurants at EPCOT, they can no longer rely solely on the Italian atmosphere.
We say "bring on a new, and better restaurant, it is time for a change!":thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter