Alec Baldwin shoots/kills cinematographer and injured director after firing a "prop gun".

I would like to know why they were dropped. Was there something that came up in the investigation that pointed toward someone else? Has someone else claimed they are guilty of negligence? It has the appearance of celebrity privilege to me, but I would like to know for sure.

The charges against Baldwin were dropped because they were brought for purely political reasons, since he is a prominent Hollywood liberal and easy target for the Republican voting base in New Mexico, and the case was widely regarded as a loser if it ever went to court.

Of course, they now claim that "the gun that Baldwin used had been modified before being delivered" as an excuse for dropping the case (which had also been quietly downgraded to misdemeanor charges anyway), but the reality is that there was no solid legal basis for charging an actor for the negligence by the armorer and assistant director who were responsible for the gun. Also, the prosecutor's office is clearly a mess in general, and Baldwin's role as producer was immaterial as his responsibilities involved financing and publicity, not on-set safety procedures.

I would like to know why they were dropped. Was there something that came up in the investigation that pointed toward someone else? Has someone else claimed they are guilty of negligence? It has the appearance of celebrity privilege to me, but I would like to know for sure.

We'll have to wait to see what the DA says. I've been following this case pretty well and frankly the case against Alec Baldwin seemed pretty weak. There have been way too many people who apply standards that simply wouldn't be applicable in a court regarding a case where there was a division of responsibilities.

As someone in the industry, a lot of the reactions are angered but not surprised and that is what I’m going with as well.

There was definitely a lot of investigations, but even the best out there have to admit when something went a certain way. A shame the unions didn’t protect everyone more

Alec Baldwin is an abusive slimeball, but this charge was a loser in a court. Especially if it went to a jury. The intent to injure or even proving outright negligence would have been a really steep hill to climb. I just wish they would stop saying he didn't fire the gun. If he didn't pull the trigger, he was attempting to **** the hammer and let it go causing it to strike the firing pin and the weapon fired, as he was aiming it in the direction of the poor young woman who was struck. It was a tragic accident. I am hardly a fan of his so I am not trying to defend him. Although guns do not fire themselves. Even guns that have had recalls and the like for accidental discharges, recently a Sig Sauer model was having issues, but the weapon had to be dropped or the slide would have to get caught on something. Weapons do not just fire.

Last edited:
Alec Baldwin is an abusive slimeball, but this charge was a loser in a court. Especially if it went to a jury. The intent to injure or even proving outright negligence would have been a really steep hill to climb. I just wish they would stop saying he didn't fire the gun. If he didn't pull the trigger, he was attempting to **** the hammer and let it go causing it to strike the firing pin and the weapon fired, as he was aiming it in the direction of the poor young woman who was struck. It was a tragic accident. I am hardly a fan of his so I am not trying to defend him. Although guns do not fire themselves. Even guns that have had recalls and the like for accidental discharges, recently an Sig Sauer model was having issues, but the weapon had to be dropped or the slide would have to get caught on something. Weapons do not just fire.
Yes a total slimeball with a fabulous attorney. I read they could possibly reinstate the charges against Baldwin. I'm crossing my fingers but not holding my breath.

So now he has hired Rory Kennedy to follow him around and film a documentary as he begins to reshoot Rust. This is gross even for Baldwin. It's always about him. I hope the proceeds do not line his pockets.

I have said before that I get the feeling they were shooting the gun at night for fun. Completely speculativebut if they especially he did, that's a big thing.

Never point a gun at someone unless you intend to shoot them. Even one that you know is empty. Even one with blanks. These days, it's so easy to double shoot a scene. Yes I know it's a very low risk. But it's a low risk that doesn't need to be taken given the tools available to make a movie these days.

I have said before that I get the feeling they were shooting the gun at night for fun. Completely speculativebut if they especially he did, that's a big thing.

It has been a while since I followed this story, but I seem to remember articles stating that some of the crew would go our at night with the guns to do target shooting. People who worked on the movie said the atmosphere on set was kind of fast and loose. I could be wrong but I seem to remember reading articles about this.

He was rehearsing a scene at the time.
I know he was, but if he and others were shooting guns for fun the night before. Well then you need to make sure you check chamber yourself.
Crazy story but I once had a gun pointed at my head by a drunk guy at party.
I just stood there because i didn't know what to do but thought the gun was a toy.
Person put gun on table and somebody whisked him away.
I picked up the gun(it was very light) pointed it at my friend and was about to shoot him thinking it was a toy gun.
Some guys asks me if I’m alright and I’m like yeah why.
And he tells me guy was pointing aa gun at me. It was then I learned it was real. Talked to coworker lawyer sometime afterward he told me if i pulled trigger it would have been manslaughter.

I know he was, but if he and others were shooting guns for fun the night before. Well then you need to make sure you check chamber yourself.
Crazy story but I once had a gun pointed at my head by a drunk guy at party.
I just stood there because i didn't know what to do but thought the gun was a toy.
Person put gun on table and somebody whisked him away.
I picked up the gun(it was very light) pointed it at my friend and was about to shoot him thinking it was a toy gun.
Some guys asks me if I’m alright and I’m like yeah why.
And he tells me guy was pointing aa gun at me. It was then I learned it was real. Talked to coworker lawyer sometime afterward he told me if i pulled trigger it would have been manslaughter.

Wow! Clearly, guns and alcohol are a bad combination. Glad it turned out as it did.

I have been an armorer on on several movie/TV sets.

It is normal for an actor to point a gun at the camera. But ONLY when all the safety precautions have been met. The gun handed to Baldwin (from everything I've read) was called "cold" so he had every expectation that it was unloaded and safe. I'm no fan of Baldwin but I don't see how this can be pinned on him other than as the producer.

We shall see as this plays out in the media.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter