Alaska thoughts

gayleaboone

Earning My Ears
Hello--

I am new to the discussions, but several of you have sent messages asking about my Alaska trip (7/22-7/29). I went with my 9 yr old daughter and we had an amazing time!!!!!! I am happy to answer any questions. Also, I am posting below some information that I sent a friend who is going on this week's Alaska adventure:

"Some thoughts:

1. We had a great group: 2 nine year old girls; one 11 yr old girl; three 11 yr old boys; one 13 yr old girl; one 16 yr old girl; and a set of 4 yr old twins. So plenty of kids. The guides said there have been plenty of kids on all of the tours.

2. There were lots of nice adults, too: two sets of mom and dad; one set of grandparents; two single moms (including me); one grandmother alone with her grandson; and three couples without children.

3. Our guides were great and well informed: Jesse and Rae. If you have the same guides pls tell them hello for us!

4. We had very cool weather and we loved it!!!!! We did not have the gloriously sunny weather that other disboard members had, but it did not really seem to matter. The weather was sometimes sunny, sometimes drizzly, and sometimes cloudy. It never got above 60 degrees, but the air was so refreshing that it was marvelous to experience the cooler temperatures. We had our windows open every night! It has made Texas seem dreadfully hot and oppressive.

5. Clothes: We brought layers of clothing as suggested and that worked well. Mostly we wore a t-shirt, pants or jeans, and carried a fleece jacket and rain jacket with us. Some people brought fleece vests and that seemed a good idea because when hiking you had your arms free and didn't get too warm.

But most importantly bring gloves and a hat for the Kenai boat trip. I would also suggest that you bring 2 sets of gloves for younger kids---one set may get wet and you may need them for the next day.

We brought too few pants and too many shorts for the weather we had. I would suggest you bring 2 pairs of shorts and then bring pants or capris for the rest of the bottoms.

No need for skirts or dressy pants at all----VERY casual. Even at the farewell dinner most people wore jeans.

The kids again enjoyed the indoor pool, so bring swimsuits. The hot tub at the Alyeska is particularly nice.

The guides carry clear plastic ponchos on the bus if you need them.

6. Fairbanks.

My daughter and I had a few hours upon arrival, so we went to Pioneer Park: a free park which has pioneer houses moved there from around Fairbanks; some shops, a playground, dioramas (in the boat) of early colonies, etc. Simple but charming. My daughter thoroughly enjoyed it and it gave us some background.

Others said the museum at the University of Anchorage was remarkable, but we did not get there.

The guides and the hotel will give you a shuttle schedule for certain attractions; however, we found that the guys at the front desk (Andrew, etc) were very willing to take you in the hotel van to the same spots (and pick you up) if you are short on time, or if you just missed the shuttle pickup, which only comes once hour.

The Sophie Station is an apartment hotel; it is fine but basic. The dinner menu at the hotel is very pricey; My daughter and I opted to grab a pizza on the way home from Pioneer Park (asked the hotel guy to stop at the Great Alaska Pizza shop while we picked it up) and ate it in the "living room" of our apartment. Another option seemed to be to get a snack in the bar area. Others ate at the salmon bake at Pioneer Park.

7. Denali

We both enjoyed Denali and the trip there. The puppies are darling and the kennel and its owners are really interesting.

Denali is breathtaking. The hotel is good, with a magnificent view. Clearly the best hotel in the area.

You have one afternoon free in Denali. Some people took extra excursions: flight trips to mt mckinley, etc. My daughter decided that she did not want to take a plane trip to see mckinley, even though that would have been my choice. She decided that she wanted to go see the sled dogs used by the rangers in the Denali national park. There are free demonstrations at 4:00 each afternoon that depart from the visitor center at Denali (board the park bus from the visitor center at 3:20). She enjoyed this, and never seemed to regret not seeing mckinley. (Plus it saved me $350 each for the mckinley flight!)

We just grabbed a light meal in the hotel that night.

8. Alyeska/Girdwood

You will love this hotel---pretty, great sheets, lovely location. If you have a few moments, take the easy "Winner" trail on your left as you go out the rear of the hotel----it has soothing ferns, babbling brooks, etc.

There is some free time listed on day 6, but don't pre-pay for any excursions until you see if Rae is going to give an extra hike that afternoon, which you MUST take if she does it.

My daughter and I just went to the hot tub and then ate dinner at the hotel on the free night. Some people ate at the Seven Glaciers restaurant at the top of the mountain, but I gather it was more for adults. There sounded like there were some fun places in Girdwood that the guides recommended.

9. All three of the boat trips were exciting for both me and my daughter----we saw wildlife, incredible scenery, and enjoyed meeting the rowers/captains of the boats. The landscape is breathtaking. ABD does an amazing job of getting you away from the tour buses.

10. Mosquitoes were there, but not nearly as bad as you would think. The guides carry OFF so no need to bring it (but we never actually needed any)

11. We had very turbulent seas for our Kenai Fjords cruise----so bad that the captain turned us around half way. Many in our group got seasick (fortunately my daughter and I did not). This is the first time this summer that this has happened on one of the ABD trips, so I don't think you will have the same experience.

The kids (once on shore again) all thought it was a great adventure, and the stories about how bad it was just keep getting bigger! = )

Before we turned around, we did get to see seals, otters, puffins, sea lions, etc; the only animal we did not see was a whale----next time!

I am really glad, though, that I brought those pressure wristbands for seasickness with me and put them on my daughter just before we set out on the water. I had a second set for me but gave them to another 9 yr old who didn't have anything. (I don't usually get seasick) Neither girl got seasick while using the wristbands.

Remedies used by others: The mother of the 4 yr old twins gave them Dramamine, which put them immediately to sleep, so they did not get sick but also didn't get to see anything. One family used ginger tablets, but got sick anyway.

Anyway, bring some medication of your choice or wristbands for this, just in case.

The guides earned their pay that day!

12. Last day---Anchorage:

The guides had a 6:00 am and a 12:00 noon bus run from the hotel alyeska to anchorage and the airport on our last day (your schedule may vary depending on the flight times of your travelers). We took the noon bus, which dropped us off a the Marriott downtown which held our bags. You then must pay to get to the airport from the Marriott.

We had an extra day in Anchorage the day we flew in at the beginning of our trip, and did some of these things then:

--Visitor Center on 4th (in a log cabin) has free shuttles to various attractions around town.

--The federal building catty-cornered from the log cabin has a nice movie: Alaska's Coolest Animals.

--The nature center in the same federal building also gives a free historical walking tour of Anchorage at 2:00 pm that meets on the front steps of the federal building.

--The ceremonial starting line for the Iditerod is a few blocks down from the log cabin and includes a statue of a sled dog (some say it is Balto)

--The Alaska Zoo is small but good-----but it is a $25 cab ride out there so I'm not sure I would recommend it.

--The Tony Knowles Coastal Trail can be picked up at the end of 5th street (a few blocks from the Captain Cook Hotel--the 2 yellow towers). You can walk or bike along the shore of the Cook Inlet---very scenic. (you can get bikes at the gray house a block from the trail on 5th street)

--One of my regrets: My daughter wanted to go to the zoo instead of the Alaskan Heritage Center. So, we never got to the Heritage Center, which I have heard is really good. I definitely would choose the Heritage Center (even not having been there) than the Zoo. One of my daughter's friends saw it last year and enjoyed it.

--We ate at the Downtown Diner on 4th street for a lunch, and it was fine---had good chicken noodle soup. One of the guides recommended the F St bar and grill---looked great--very local and not touristy--but my daughter didn't see much on the menu that she wanted, so we passed.

--The Iditerod shop is in the 5th street mall if you want books, patches, etc from the race.

13. Like on our other ABD trips, they show movies on the bus trips, and the guides are great and keep the kids busy. Sometimes the kids would silently read a book, but most often played together. The bus always had fully stocked snacks, water, and purell.

14. I thought ABD did a great job on this trip. The logistics would be a nightmare to do on your own, and yet our logistics were handled seamlessly. Often we saw no other tourists at all where we traveled. You are going to have a wonderful time!!!!!!!!!!"

And in response to some questions that my friend posed:

"--shoes. No need for hiking boots. I brought 2 pairs of tennis shoes for my daughter and she rotated them.

--rain. Yes, we just marched forward!!!! It was always more of a drizzle than a driving rain.

--i never heard anyone mention using the laundry.

--i tried to rent a car for our first day and a half (in anchorage)--cars were all sold out.

--the Anchorage Marriott where you can store your luggage on the last day is right downtown, so shopping, tony knowles trail, national wildlife center, and visitor's center are all within walking distance. There is a shuttle from the visitor's center to the native heritage center---

--my blackberry worked everywhere, even denali, for both emails and phone coverage!!!!!! I didn't bring a laptop with me. There was some issue about wi-fi at the hotel alyeska, but I think it had to do with the hotel charging for use of their laptops.

--re helicopter, flight tours: our fellow adventurers did not do much of these extras. One couple without children did the mt mckinley and glacier flight and another family did atv's in denali. So there wasn't a lot of talk from the other kids about these excursions. I think there have been groups where nearly everyone did an excursion, so that may impact what your daughter is willing/desiring to do. I was also thinking about doing the fly to the glacier and mush/dogsled, and my daughter thought she would like to do this while we were doing our planning, but then didn't want to when we got there (I think she was fine with the number of activities that ABD provided)

--if you call the concierge at the Alyeska, they will pdf to you a long list of activities and excursions, along with timing, prices, etc. that are near the hotel or leave from the hotel. It was interesting to see ahead of time. I think one family may have taken an excursion that last morning from the hotel since their flight was late that evening.

--When you get to fairbanks, the guides will give you a list of extra excursions that can be taken from the Grande Denali. Some extra excursions apparently sold out earlier in the summer so they want to give you an extra day to book them if you'd like."

I am the friend referenced above, and we are so excited to be leaving tomorrow morning for Alaska. (Trying not to let the disappointment of the 2010 trips pricing scar our excitement, although my ability to swing these trips financially is definitely impacted by the change, i.e., the same Alaska trip next year would be 23% more!) Makes me even happier to be going this year!

I PROMISE I will post some thoughts on our trip as well (like gayleaboone, I am traveling alone with my 9 yr old daughter). I won't promise a true trip report, but I will try! Maybe even a real time report after DD goes to sleep at night.

Thanks again gayleaboone for all your advice and help - I think we're just about ready! Wish you guys were going too!

This must be the year for 9-year-olds and their moms to go to Alaska. :) My DS celebrated his 9th birthday last month on our Alaska adventure. Hope you guys have as much fun as we did!

I, too, wish we could go back with you!!!!!! Have a wonderful time--I can't wait to hear all about it!!!!

And I agree that we as single moms are going to have a harder time swinging these new rates---I think ABD may have underestimated the single mom market.....

This must be the year for 9-year-olds and their moms to go to Alaska. :) My DS celebrated his 9th birthday last month on our Alaska adventure. Hope you guys have as much fun as we did!

We had a GREAT time!!!!! BTW, I have been calling you "Bob" to my friend when we referenced your postings re Alaska---:goodvibes

We had a GREAT time!!!!! BTW, I have been calling you "Bob" to my friend when we referenced your postings re Alaska---:goodvibes

LOL. My screen name means absolutely nothing. I made it up in a hurry years ago when I was registering at a website for a contest or some such thing and I've been using it ever since.

LOL. My screen name means absolutely nothing. I made it up in a hurry years ago when I was registering at a website for a contest or some such thing and I've been using it ever since.

I saw your postings on the "disappointment" strings today as well...maybe ADB will take note.......

I saw your postings on the "disappointment" strings today as well...maybe ADB will take note.......

I will continue to hope, but I'm not going to count on any helpful response. I asked DS today if he would prefer Galapogos with a different company or a different trip with ABD, and he chose Galapogos. So I'll be researching our options, but definitely won't be booking with ABD with the current prices. If I were in their shoes, I would be concerned that travelers like myself, who were sold on ABD, might discover that some other touring company has just as much to offer.

Wow! Thanks for all the great info! I'll be printing this out.

Quick question (I'm *sure* I'll have more!): What did you guys wear for the rafting trip? Most rafting trips, it's bathing suits, but I have a feeling it's more than a bit too cold to do that for this trip!

Thanks!
Sayhello

Quick question (I'm *sure* I'll have more!): What did you guys wear for the rafting trip? Most rafting trips, it's bathing suits, but I have a feeling it's more than a bit too cold to do that for this trip!

Thanks!
Sayhello

Sayhello, you know it was warm when we were in Alaska, so we were able to wear jeans or shorts and t-shirts. But you need some really warm socks because the water is frigid and even in the rubber boots, your feet will be cold.

Thanks!
Sayhello

We wore jeans, a t-shirt, and a light fleece or jacket. The guides told us to bring an extra pair of socks that day and to put on both pairs of socks inside the boots that the rafting company provides. Also, the rafting company provides huge camoflage ponchos if you want them---some of the adults wore them, and I heard they kept people warm as well as dry. I did not wear a poncho, but got only a little wet and was never cold.

A couple of quick questions:

You say you wore jeans for the rafting. I assume you don't get very wet, since they'd take *forever* to dry?

Do you know if all of the hotels had hair dryers?

and under point 6. Fairbanks

Where you talk about the museum at the University of Anchorage, I'm assuming that's actually in Anchorage, and not Fairbanks, right? Do you know what museum they were talking about? Is it the Anchorage Museum of Natural History?

Where you talk about getting dropped off at the Marriott, and then making your own way to the airport, I assume that was by choice? That if you wanted, they would drop you off right at the airport? I'm spending 2 days post-trip in Anchorage, and was expecting to get dropped off at the airport, and pick up a rental car there...

Which brings me to another question. Where you said you could not get a rental car because they were all sold out --- did you have a reservation for a rental car? That makes me nervous, because I do have a reservation, and am counting on getting that rental car.

Thanks again!
Sayhello

All of the hotels had hair dryers.

I got slightly wet on the rafting trip, but most people didn't get wet at all. There are only a few rapids and they are small.

We didn't stay for any post days, but there was a couple who rode back to the Anchorage airport with us just to pick up a rental car. The bus made two trips to the airport, so you'll be able to ride along on either.

Hello!

--Whenever our jeans got "wet", they really only were damp and dried quickly. The hot tub at the Alyeska is nice---take a swimsuit. The Alyeska has towel warmers in the rooms which help with drying; or, there are the plactic laundry bags in the closets if something doesn't dry before you leave.

--the guides will drop you off at either the airport or the marriott--your choice

--I did not have a rental car reservation---I tried to get a reservation about 2 weeks out, but they were already sold out. I kept checking, but still nothing even once we arrived. If you have a reservation you should be fine.

--I think all of the hotels had hair dryers---I remember using the one at the Alyeska, but I don't think I used a dryer at the others (I tend to just wash my hair and throw it back wet in a clip on vacations!!!!) Maybe "Bobo" remembers?

--re museum: I misspoke. It actually is the museum at the University of ALASKA (not Anchorage) at Fairbanks that is supposed to be so impressive: http://www.uaf.edu/museum/exhibits/

I wish I could go back with you!!!!!!

(And I don't mind questions at all---helps me relive it!!!)

Gayle

But most importantly bring gloves and a hat for the Kenai boat trip.

sayhello, I can't agree more with what Gayle said about gloves and hat for the Kenai excursion. You especially need a hat or stocking cap that covers your ears. I would say put that at the top of your list. It is the one thing I didn't have that I really, really wished I had brought. It was nearly 80 degrees the day we went on the cruise, but once the ships starts moving, the wind is cold.

sayhello, I can't agree more with what Gayle said about gloves and hat for the Kenai excursion. You especially need a hat or stocking cap that covers your ears. I would say put that at the top of your list. It is the one thing I didn't have that I really, really wished I had brought. It was nearly 80 degrees the day we went on the cruise, but once the ships starts moving, the wind is cold.
Thanks! I have issues with my ears (eustation tubes) and this is VERY IMPORTANT information!!! I forgot anything to cover my ears when I went on Southwest Splendors, and the wind at the Grand Canyon just killed me. I ended up buying a stocking-type hat there. I was lucky to find it -- it was the ONLY thing to buy in town that covered my ears! Thanks again, and I will write it in HUGE LETTERS on my packing list!

Thanks Bobo912 & Gayle! This is such great info. :thumbsup2 I'll just keep asking as questions come to me!

Gayle -- do you think you would fit in my suitcase? ;)

Sayhello

I guess it depends on the size of your suitcase! :goodvibes

But I'd be willing to try!!!!! Could we bring Bobo too?

I guess it depends on the size of your suitcase! :goodvibes

But I'd be willing to try!!!!! Could we bring Bobo too?

I wish. But we would have to bring my 9 year-old and sayhello is on an adults only trip.

Hi, I am wondering specifically how the 4 year olds did- we are trying to decide how early we can take our kids. I know every kid is different, but I am specifically wondering what if anything they had to miss out on (like rafting) and how their parents handled it.

Hi gayleaboone,
I really enjoyed reading your post. The way you structured the information made it very easy to read.

Alaska is on the top of our list for 2010 vacations. I think reading your post may have just pushed it higher on the list! If we decide Alaska is the place I may be asking you some questions!

Thank you again for all the useful information and for sharing your experience with all of us.

:thumbsup2
________
How i met your mother advice

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter