• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

AKV Jambo 1 BR and the fantastic Disney Waterparks! (update 8/1) Complete

Pinkocto

DIS Veteran
Greetings everybody and welcome to my newest TR. The dates were May 31-June 3 2013. It was only a short trip, 4 days, but it had a lot of firsts and was a fantastic trip. The players were myself, Pam, and my mother, Jeanette.

From this trip in the DME starting our vacation. I’m on the left and mom is on the right.

We love traveling together, it gives us a chance to catch up and have wonderful quality time. This was the 11th trip to WDW for both of us. We’ve gone separately and together, but mostly together. We are both big kids at heart. I own DVC and we were staying at Animal Kingdom Villas Jambo House in a 1BR for the first time ever. First time for the 1BR, not at Jambo House.

We rarely go in the summer, because it’s hot and because of the crowds. But this year I wanted to try for a trip every three months and this is where the next trip landed. We knew it was going to be hot so figured why not center the trip around the waterparks. We had not been to a Disney waterpark since Typhoon Lagoon opened 24 years ago, it was due for a return trip.

On the DME heading to our resort.

First stop

Second stop

I thought this was too cool

Third stop and we were home!

Check in area

Quick picture of the lobby

Interesting artwork behind the check in desk.

Our room wasn’t ready so we changed into our bathing suits in the bathroom and headed to Blizzard Beach. No time to waste!

The theming is of course fantastic. Disney is amazing.

Inside one of the shops

Right outside the shop Goofy was taking pictures! There was hardly any line so we jumped in.

Thought this was cute.

We stopped for some lunch before hitting any rides.

Seating area, it had started to rain so we hunkered under an umbrella.

And got some donuts I’d heard so much about for dessert. They were pretty good, mom didn’t care for them though.

Hi!:wave2: Excited to read another of your TRs! I absolutely love the water parks! We used to bring picnic lunches and stay the whole day!

Hi!:wave2: Excited to read another of your TRs! I absolutely love the water parks! We used to bring picnic lunches and stay the whole day!

Hi Linda! Thanks for coming over :) that's a good idea to bring a picnic lunch. We got there around 1:00 and only did a fraction of the rides, there's so much to do. We quickly fell in love with the waterparks and will definitely be back on future trips.

Just checking in. You really wasted no time. I love Goofy's costume.

Corinna

Hi Corinna! Welcome back :) can't wait to hear about your trip. Goofy was too cute, I don't think I'd seen him before with his beach outfit so had to get a picture.

We were going to walk around and explore the scene before finding a locker, but when we passed a locker area we figured it would just be easier to store our stuff instead of lugging it around. Mom got to chatting with the CM at the locker rental place and we received our first Disney magic of the trip, he bestowed upon us a locker key free of charge. So very cool! The only problem with this is that I didnt take my camera with me. I brought the waterproof one, but I still left it behind. So I apologize for no more pictures of BB. I did get a lot more at Typhoon Lagoon the next day.

Luggage stowed we went off to explore Blizzard Beach. Before leaving home I had done some research on BB but had not memorized the map. Thankfully they have big maps posted all around the park. We noticed the chair lifts but did not pay attention to what rides it took you to. We decided to start with the family raft ride, Teamboat Springs. We followed the signs to the green slopes and walked up a very very very long flight of stairs before realizing the chairlifts could have brought us up. Lesson learned and some calories burned we knew to use the chairlift next time. There was not much of a line and we were teamed up with a father and daughter. The ride was great, and you get plenty soaked. There is absolutely no way to get out of the raft gracefully so I just dunked myself overboard. Mom tried to be graceful, not possible.

After Teamboat Springs we decided to enjoy the lazy river. On a hot day what could be better than just relaxing in a tube floating along without a care in the world. We decided nothing could! There was even a CM catching leaves that had dropped in. Everything is so clean its amazing. Now I have a phobia of wet trash, and I dont think I saw a single piece anywhere. I still wore sandals the whole day and held them when going down a slide or in the lazy river but the place was immaculate.

After doing a full circuit and a little more we got out and went on a tube ride. We did a double tube on Runoff Rapids. Something was wrong and we had to wait up top for probably ten minutes, but it was a nice day and we had nowhere else to be. This one was great! We got dangerously close to the edges a few times we had so much momentum. We were both dunked into the water at the bottom, it was great fun! We stayed and watched other people come out of the tubes for a little bit and then headed off.

I was in the mood for a snowball so we went back to the locker for some money. Mom had the great idea for me to eat it in line for the chairlift and we'd do Teamboat Springs again. It was perfect timing and the snowball was delicious, half lime half strawberry. Our chairlift got stuck within feet of the top of the mountain. It seemed to stop quite a bit while we were waiting in line. We finally managed to get to the top and had another great raft ride. They teamed us up again with people, they were really good at keeping the line moving.

At this point we decided to start to dry off a little. We parked ourselves in the front of the wave pool and enjoyed the sun for about half an hour. The park closed at 6:00 that night but we headed out around 5:00 to avoid the crowds. We also wanted to see our room that had been ready for a while. A bus drove up right as we walked up to our stop, perfect timing.

We were at Jambo House within ten minutes. Through the store where I picked up the cutest soapstone hippo to add to my collection and then straight up to the room. We were in the last pod off Zebra Trail with a partial view of Uzima Savannah. I had booked a standard room so was expecting a pool view, but when we were checked in she said we had a partial view of the savannah. Well everyone, this was a full view and we had never seen so many animals in our 4 previous stays at Jambo House. The view was amazing, the room was amazing. I would be very happy to have this exact room again, 5574.

There was also a full drawer of utensils that I failed to get a picture of.

One of my favorite features of the 1BR

The bedroom

The magnificent balcony

And even more magnificent view

Loved this bathroom

The starkest toilet room youve ever seen.

This tub was HUGE!

It's great that you had some pixie dust and got upgraded. I love Teamboat Springs and the lazy river, but I am not to keen on the other slides. They scare me.

Corinna

It's great that you had some pixie dust and got upgraded. I love Teamboat Springs and the lazy river, but I am not to keen on the other slides. They scare me.

Corinna

The upgrade was amazing. It was hard tearing ourselves away from the balcony.

The slides WERE scary! We were screaming most of the way down, but still had great fun :)

I'm in! I'm so glad you started this. :thumbsup2 I'm packing the boat as we're heading to the lake today. Wish me luck, Gabby is bringing that boy. :rotfl:

I'll be back to catch up.

You and your mama are so so cute. :goodvibes

I'm in! I'm so glad you started this. :thumbsup2 I'm packing the boat as we're heading to the lake today. Wish me luck, Gabby is bringing that boy. :rotfl:

I'll be back to catch up.

You and your mama are so so cute. :goodvibes

Hi Jenny :wave2: thanks for your encouragement on this :)

Good luck indeed! I hope everyone has a good day :)

I'm in! And I made the first page! Looks like you started off with a great day!

Regarding the tub, you're just used to studios! :lmao; That's one of the smaller tubs in the larger units. You should see the BWV, SSR, BCV, or VWL tubs. And don't get me started on the ones at OKW! :faint: The reason the room is a standard view is because they reclassified a bunch of rooms at AKV. Guests who booked a Savannah view complained if it wasn't a full Savannah view so there are some standards that are almost as good as a Savannah.

I can't wait to hear abiut the rest of your trip.

After exploring the room I went out to the balcony to enjoy the view.

This ostrich was a character.

There was a new animal that we'd never seen before. It wasnt on the animal list and we later found out from a CM that it was Somali wild donkey. They have three males that they got in the last year.

We found out from a CM that this is what made our view standard. People complained about having this in their savannah view so it was reclassified.

Neither of us had noticed that the chairs had zebras on them.

My new little hippo.

Our ostrich friend was leaving for the time being.

Some cranes came to entertain us.

I'm in! And I made the first page! Looks like you started off with a great day!

Hi Alison! thanks for coming over :)

Regarding the tub, you're just used to studios! :lmao; That's one of the smaller tubs in the larger units. You should see the BWV, SSR, BCV, or VWL tubs. And don't get me started on the ones at OKW! :faint:

Uh oh! OKW is definitely on the list since the points are so nice.

The reason the room is a standard view is because they reclassified a bunch of rooms at AKV. Guests who booked a Savannah view complained if it wasn't a full Savannah view so there are some standards that are almost as good as a Savannah.

We met a CM doing the Wanyama Safari as we were waiting for the DME. He told us about the reclassification of some rooms. Bonus for us because the view was amazing. The barns were off in the distance so we saw tons of animals.

Joining in. I had a standard studio in Nov and I actually had a holding pin view and we loved it. We had different animals in and out.

Joining in. I had a standard studio in Nov and I actually had a holding pin view and we loved it. We had different animals in and out.

Thanks for coming over! :) people don't know what they're missing. It might not look like a perfect view but you get to see a lot of animals. Bonus for us!

The animal photos that you got are amazing. I love the donkeys. I read about them two or three weeks ago.

Corinna

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter