AK still full day?

Cakesy

Mouseketeer
Is Animal Kingdom a full day park with so much shut down? We (my 12 year old DD and I) are going the second week of May (so hoping for not terribly long line waits,) and I'm starting to question whether there is enough for a full day there with shows shut down and whatnot.

I haven't been since Jan. of 2020 but from what I've seen on the boards and UTube I would think so if you want to ride all the rides and walk the trails. With no FPs the line waits can get long depending on the time of day. AK closes earlier than any of the other parks as well.

Even with shows AK could never quite fill up a full day for us. If you are wanting to see Pandora at night (my personal fav) you can always spend a morning there, go back to the hotel and relax by the pool in the afternoon (and maybe squeeze a nap in), and return at night. If you don't have interest in being there after dark it may just be a half day park! We could usually get absolutely everything done before 1 if we rope dropped FOP

Is it ever a full day? Not for me. But we stayed all day in November. Wait times there seem to ebb and flow. Except Navi River. Long line for a boat ride. Lots of reports about riding Expedition Everest multiple times.

But I love AK and don’t want to skip it.

Maybe it's because we are Florida resident AP's, but we don't see any park as a full day. I guess even when we travelled from another part of the US, we never spent a full day. We would wake up, get coffee (or hot chocolate for the wife), go to a park for 3-5 hours, go back to the resort for the pool, get ready for dinner, then maybe... MAYBE park hop for 2 hours and go back to the pool or sleep.

Yes, I realize I used way too many commas.

My husband and son are dropping us off there and heading to Hollywood studios. We are staying off property. I guess if we really want to leave we can head over to HS and pick up the car.

How about this? You spend your time, take a certain ride share to HS, spend time with the guys, and head back to the hotel for pool and/or dinner? Park hopping is now allowed. Just keep on top of it.

Disney is not an easy trip. Even in 2010 when I was planning a week at Disney and a week cruise for a honeymoon, it wasn't easy. But you can do it. This may seem like a joke, but planning a Disney trip is a full time job, even for the best of us. Your best bet is to split up, do your thing, get a ride, meet up.

We've never stayed on property. If we feel like it, is there something worth heading to a resort for in the afternoon? Some really great treat or something?

On Feb 23, we arrived around 8:30 (8AM open). We rode everything but the safari (but did wander down and do the shops on the way but skipped the ride), did Expedition Everest twice, chased around some Wilderness explorer posts (most of the book), took time to stop for ice cream, beers, and popcorn, and placed a carry out order from Rainforest cafe for a 12:30 pick up. We grabbed the food on our way out.

We did not do walking trails as everyone was a bit tired. All five of us felt done.

We've never stayed on property. If we feel like it, is there something worth heading to a resort for in the afternoon? Some really great treat or something?

Grand Floridian. I've gotten the best clothing from there. They used to have a candle shoppe that no longer exists, but the best pajama pants I have are from Grand Floridian.

EDIT: Though I love to cook, I'm not a big "sweets" guy, so "treats" means something entirely different to me. I like the simple things in life. Maybe find an Art of Disney.

We usually leave AK before dinner, even when everything was running. I'm sure I COULD spend a full day there, but if I were getting dropped off, I would probably try to sneak in a visit to AKL. We've never been and it seems like a nice place with a few interesting dining options. I would probably book a dinner there.

It honestly depends on what you hope to accomplish while at AK. Is the priority rides? If so, you could be done in 3-4 hours. If you want to enjoy the trails, a meal, etc maybe 6 hours? For our family its an almost full day park followed by lots of pool time!

I can easily spent 2 full days at AK - and did in February. And I'm planning to in July. So much to see and so many details. Trails and the safari are never the same twice

Maybe it's because we are Florida resident AP's, but we don't see any park as a full day. I guess even when we travelled from another part of the US, we never spent a full day. We would wake up, get coffee (or hot chocolate for the wife), go to a park for 3-5 hours, go back to the resort for the pool, get ready for dinner, then maybe... MAYBE park hop for 2 hours and go back to the pool or sleep.

Yes, I realize I used way too many commas.
I could see that with an AP and going multiple trips per year. But for $1800 for 4 days for my family of 4, you better believe we're not spending those days at the pool or napping. I can do that at home for free.

We were there today from the 7:30 early entry until just past 4:00! Did everything except Triceratops Spin and had a wonderful time.

I could see that with an AP and going multiple trips per year. But for $1800 for 4 days for my family of 4, you better believe we're not spending those days at the pool or napping. I can do that at home for free.
Everyone has different ideas of what vacation is. I love going to the parks, but our summer trips always consist of pool time. Sure, I can swim in my own pool at home, but my pool isn't a Disney pool. lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter