AK day; look okay, too ambitious?

That is so sweet about your 9 y/o @PPFlight75 We are for sure going to see it.

Pretty lights are good with me but sitting in a hot crowd? :scared: Yuck! Early August there won't be a way around hot or humid.

Are the metal? I am picturing like a stadium type backless bench.

Yikes!

Oops I equivocate bad with boring. :blush: I'm sure PP understood.

Thanks again all. I searched the RoL dining package and it looks to be only $5 more pp but they did not have breakfast available and I am not interested in dinner there. I looked at Tiffins and I don't like the menu though the pics of the restaurant are beautiful.
The ROL seats are cement if I remember right, I could be wrong. With no back .

I think everything you've listed is doable. I was just there in April. We arrived around 9:45 for the safari. Got on just before 10:30. We had FP's for KRR, Navi River, and EE. We rode those 3, got a 4th FP for Dinosaur later in the day. So we rode KS first, then the next 4 with FPs. We also did Lion King, Bug's Life, the rides in Dino Land, spent some time at the playground there, lunched at Flametree BBQ, and supper at Yak and Yeti. We also made some stops throughout the day at the wilderness explorer stations, shopped, pictures, and ice cream breaks. We didn't have an interest in seeing ROL, so left AK around 8-8:30 to head to MK. The only thing we didn't get in was FOP, which we weren't able to get a FP for and weren't about to wait 2+ hours to ride it! We pretty much hit up everything else AK has to offer - and didn't even spend the full open to close day there. So yes, I think you'll be able to hit up everything you want to within your timeframe!

Yak and Yeti restaurant ... have you eaten there? We did in April, and I honestly wouldn't go back. It's one of the Landry restaurants, so not owned by Disney. We had a horrible experience checking in, wait staff was fair, and I wasn't impressed with the food. Something I could've had at Panda Express, IMO. I had to get up and hunt someone down to get silverware after our food had been delivered, we waited a long time to get seated and for a server, and just weren't happy overall with any of the aspects of the place. The only thing we liked was the pineapple upside down cake for dessert!! Delicious. If we hadn't been on the dining plan, I honestly would've been soooo disappointed on what I had just spent so much money on!

I searched the RoL dining package and it looks to be only $5 more pp but they did not have breakfast available and I am not interested in dinner there.

The ROL dining package should be $5 less than the regular meal, not $5 more. Unless they now include blindfolds and ear plugs for the show.

Thanks! @PPFlight75 We'll do both Rafiki Planet Watch and the jungle trek. Good to know the last time for Rafiki is 4 pm!

It looks so good and thats why I made our ADR for that time; to get both food groups. LOL! Plus who can resist characters in safari gear?

We love AK too! Its always been DH's favorite park even before Pandora. We haven't been in nearly 6 years and not sure when our next trip will be; we are local to Disneyland so I hear you on EMH/rope drop; we go so often we don't find it necessary. I wouldn't wait in line for 2 hours for any ride, not even FOP. I am glad we scored Fps because my other plan was to ride near closing and hope the posted wait time was exaggerated.

How packed was EMH?

I am assuming Tusker House will cost more as past of the ROL package? I will look into it. I am struggling a little spending that much on a buffet as it is because DH and I are not huge eaters and generally share but it looks like a good time and the menu looks different from a typical buffet.

I am looking forward to Nomad Lounge; we may cancel Y&Y but wanted to have a reservation just in case.

Is Na'vi generally a walk on early in the day?

Thanks! I have been practicing my refreshing skills. LOL!

The only section that was crowded during EMH was Pandora. It took about 25 minutes total to make it through FOP and Navi was a walk on. Everything else was about a ten minute wait until around 11.

The ROL seats are cement if I remember right, I could be wrong. With no back .

Ugh. How long is the show?

I think everything you've listed is doable. I was just there in April. We arrived around 9:45 for the safari. Got on just before 10:30. We had FP's for KRR, Navi River, and EE. We rode those 3, got a 4th FP for Dinosaur later in the day. So we rode KS first, then the next 4 with FPs. We also did Lion King, Bug's Life, the rides in Dino Land, spent some time at the playground there, lunched at Flametree BBQ, and supper at Yak and Yeti. We also made some stops throughout the day at the wilderness explorer stations, shopped, pictures, and ice cream breaks. We didn't have an interest in seeing ROL, so left AK around 8-8:30 to head to MK. The only thing we didn't get in was FOP, which we weren't able to get a FP for and weren't about to wait 2+ hours to ride it! We pretty much hit up everything else AK has to offer - and didn't even spend the full open to close day there. So yes, I think you'll be able to hit up everything you want to within your timeframe!

Yak and Yeti restaurant ... have you eaten there? We did in April, and I honestly wouldn't go back. It's one of the Landry restaurants, so not owned by Disney. We had a horrible experience checking in, wait staff was fair, and I wasn't impressed with the food. Something I could've had at Panda Express, IMO. I had to get up and hunt someone down to get silverware after our food had been delivered, we waited a long time to get seated and for a server, and just weren't happy overall with any of the aspects of the place. The only thing we liked was the pineapple upside down cake for dessert!! Delicious. If we hadn't been on the dining plan, I honestly would've been soooo disappointed on what I had just spent so much money on!

We have not been to Yak & Yeti and truth be told the only thing that looks really good are the ahi tuna nachos. I hate Panda Express too. Lol! Maybe we’ll just do the Nomad Lounge for dinner? That was the original plan but felt we should have a TS in case due to being there all day.

Your AK day sounds great! I wouldn’t wait that long either for FOP or any ride.

The ROL dining package should be $5 less than the regular meal, not $5 more. Unless they now include blindfolds and ear plugs for the show.

:lmao:

The only section that was crowded during EMH was Pandora. It took about 25 minutes total to make it through FOP and Navi was a walk on. Everything else was about a ten minute wait until around 11.

Ok, so I think we’ll be good staying away from Pandora until our FOP FP. :thanks:

EE can be had as a later FP and so can Dinosaur usually. If you do plan on getting there fairly early you could likely hit EE without FP or do single rider - the single rider line has been 1/2 the wait time posted every time we have done it (which is usually at least once per trip-my family LOVES this coaster and rides multiple times per trip).
Safari-especially in heat(!) is way better in early am or at dusk (even better if just after a rain or even a very light rain) the animals are more active.
Have actually had harder time getting more Safari FP than Navi or even (lucky once) Fop FP!
I am looking forward to Nomad Lounge; we may cancel Y&Y but wanted to have a reservation just in case.
Y&Y is nothing special. There are way too many better places to eat-Satu'li Canteen in Pandora has indoor seating, mobile ordering and the CM's guard the seating area until you have food in hand so always place to sit, and omg the customizable bowls!. Nomad is one of my absolute favorite places in the parks/resorts/Orlando. They have small plates that have different items from the regular Tiffins menu, and the drinks are soooo good. Have never had issues finding a spot to sit-even packed New years! Tusker House is also OK-fun, but with good QS options we won't do TS in DAK again.

I second taking the time for the trails-jungle trek and gorilla falls! Try and do them early in day before too hot, the babies tend to be more visible from the trails. Use the afternoon for shows (lion king, bugs life, Nemo), head to Nomads around 3-4 for primo seats and cooling off.

Don't let "packed" crowds keep you away from Pandora. I've gone at all times and crowd levels and it is really not that bad. My middle DD and I did an am EMH in June-we got to park as they were just about to let the crowds go from holding area just past the tapstyles. We walked with crowd and got in line for FoP-the line was outside down to Lion king theater. Looks intimidating but -no FP in EMH, and the inside queue portion wasn't open yet. We waited 55 minutes from that spot til we were in 1st preshow, line moved continuously once they opened the ride. Waited 87 minutes on a Sunday night in June - park close at 10:30 and we got in line around 9:30 I think (have a time stamped photo in line at 9:37, we were with college friends whom we hadn't seen in ages and one hadn't been on the ride at all because he hates crowds-Nomad drinks helped persuade him LOL). Last early August (when Pandora was still "new") my son and I waited at park close for 90 minutes. Don't mind waiting til end of night as not wasting park hours in line. Plus it is much much cooler to wait at night! IMHO the queue is worth waiting an hour for once, and the attraction is deserving of multiple rides. I gave you my experience in wait times just for a reference, YMMV.
If you get there at park open (not EMH) head to opposite side of the park-Dinosaur, EE as those rides will be walk ons. You could then switch your EE FP if you wanted for something else.

Just want to throw my 2 cents in that I liked RoL. It's not exciting but it's a mellow enjoyable show.

My only complaint was the parent in front of us who let their toddler play an iPad game with the sound on the whole time.

I'll definitely see it again next trip - hopefully without the rude distractions.

The ROL show is 30 minutes long including the pre-show.

That’s not bad at all! So maybe an hour on the cement backless benches.....

EE can be had as a later FP and so can Dinosaur usually. If you do plan on getting there fairly early you could likely hit EE without FP or do single rider - the single rider line has been 1/2 the wait time posted every time we have done it (which is usually at least once per trip-my family LOVES this coaster and rides multiple times per trip).
Safari-especially in heat(!) is way better in early am or at dusk (even better if just after a rain or even a very light rain) the animals are more active.
Have actually had harder time getting more Safari FP than Navi or even (lucky once) Fop FP!
Y&Y is nothing special. There are way too many better places to eat-Satu'li Canteen in Pandora has indoor seating, mobile ordering and the CM's guard the seating area until you have food in hand so always place to sit, and omg the customizable bowls!. Nomad is one of my absolute favorite places in the parks/resorts/Orlando. They have small plates that have different items from the regular Tiffins menu, and the drinks are soooo good. Have never had issues finding a spot to sit-even packed New years! Tusker House is also OK-fun, but with good QS options we won't do TS in DAK again.

I second taking the time for the trails-jungle trek and gorilla falls! Try and do them early in day before too hot, the babies tend to be more visible from the trails. Use the afternoon for shows (lion king, bugs life, Nemo), head to Nomads around 3-4 for primo seats and cooling off.

Don't let "packed" crowds keep you away from Pandora. I've gone at all times and crowd levels and it is really not that bad. My middle DD and I did an am EMH in June-we got to park as they were just about to let the crowds go from holding area just past the tapstyles. We walked with crowd and got in line for FoP-the line was outside down to Lion king theater. Looks intimidating but -no FP in EMH, and the inside queue portion wasn't open yet. We waited 55 minutes from that spot til we were in 1st preshow, line moved continuously once they opened the ride. Waited 87 minutes on a Sunday night in June - park close at 10:30 and we got in line around 9:30 I think (have a time stamped photo in line at 9:37, we were with college friends whom we hadn't seen in ages and one hadn't been on the ride at all because he hates crowds-Nomad drinks helped persuade him LOL). Last early August (when Pandora was still "new") my son and I waited at park close for 90 minutes. Don't mind waiting til end of night as not wasting park hours in line. Plus it is much much cooler to wait at night! IMHO the queue is worth waiting an hour for once, and the attraction is deserving of multiple rides. I gave you my experience in wait times just for a reference, YMMV.
If you get there at park open (not EMH) head to opposite side of the park-Dinosaur, EE as those rides will be walk ons. You could then switch your EE FP if you wanted for something else.

Thank you for the detailed reply. Sounds like good advice on the trek/falls. That’s exactly what we’ll do. Nomad will be perfect for cooling off.

I’ll check out the menu for Satu’li Canteen, thanks! I am not thrilled with the Yak & Yeti and DH said he’ll look when we are on the plane. :crazy2:

Other than Starbucks, any other breakfast receommendations instead of Tusker House? I thought about Boma since we’ll be at AK but DH and I aren’t typically hungry right when we wake up....Tusker will be a good two hours from when we wake up. Hmmm......I search out other options.

You are right. Cement and no backs!

Thanks for confirming.

Just want to throw my 2 cents in that I liked RoL. It's not exciting but it's a mellow enjoyable show.

My only complaint was the parent in front of us who let their toddler play an iPad game with the sound on the whole time.

I'll definitely see it again next trip - hopefully without the rude distractions.

I think RoL looks interesting. I’d like to see it at least once. Ugh on the iPad with sound. Don’t you know, manners are overrated. :upsidedow So maddening.

Hi! I personally wouldn’t make the choice to show up to an EMH morning at 9:30. If you are going to go, get there at rope drop at 8. If you need a break, then take one mid-afternoon. Hope this helps!

Hi! I personally wouldn’t make the choice to show up to an EMH morning at 9:30. If you are going to go, get there at rope drop at 8. If you need a break, then take one mid-afternoon. Hope this helps!

:blush: I agree and generally we rope drop but this trip is just DH and myself. We fly in the morning before, a red-eye, and am guessing as we won’t nap upon arrival, we will need to catch up on sleep. We typically don’t set alarms and if we’re up, we’ll make it, but I’m doubtful. We’ve got Jiko at dinner the night before which will include lots of wine. ;)

I have cancelled Tusker House and moved my 1st FP for EE to later; now it’s 10-11. I made a reservation for Boma so we’ll eat there or order room service that morning.

I just got back from WDW last night and saw RoL for the first time and I really liked it! It's not going to be crazy exciting like the fireworks shows but I thought the water projections and music was beautiful. We had a FP (it was our first night so only a short park day) and got front row seating. I'd really recommend it if it looks interesting to you.

I just got back from WDW last night and saw RoL for the first time and I really liked it! It's not going to be crazy exciting like the fireworks shows but I thought the water projections and music was beautiful. We had a FP (it was our first night so only a short park day) and got front row seating. I'd really recommend it if it looks interesting to you.

Great, thanks! ::yes:: It does look interesting. Love conservation (which I've read is the theme), lights, and water. I think DH will really like it as well. Do you think FP is necessary?

I don't think it's necessary unless you plab to show up right before the show starts

I think with all day we should have plenty of time to arrive early. I am wondering if AK will extend their hours for early August? The schedule use to have ROL showing at 9:15 and AK closing at 9 but now it doesn't have any entertainment listed but the hours are the same. Weird.

Great, thanks! ::yes:: It does look interesting. Love conservation (which I've read is the theme), lights, and water. I think DH will really like it as well. Do you think FP is necessary?
My adult daughter and I saw it for the first (and only) time last year, and we both really liked it. My daughter did say afterward, “I think I like water and lights more than most people, though.”

My adult daughter and I saw it for the first (and only) time last year, and we both really liked it. My daughter did say afterward, “I think I like water and lights more than most people, though.”

Cute! That’s us as well. Glad you enjoyed it.

Rope drop/EMH looks intense at AK.
Not sure what ever gave you this idea.....but I haven’t found that to be the case, as long as you aren’t headed to Pandora!

AK morning EMH had always been one of the most relaxed and productive of the morning hours IMHO, and that was before Pandora. Now that everyone heads to FOP you can have EE and Dinoland all to yourself. You could ride EE multiple times in the morning instead of using a FP, freeing you up to get something else.

I’d go for the EMH!!

Unless you are trying to get in the FOP line I think EMH at AK are fine. We had no issues doing Everest and Dinoland first thing.

Sanaa has a QS breakfast if you are looking for another option at AKL.

We enjoyed ROL and I think it is worth doing at least once to see what you think. I know you said the menu did not interest you but Tiffins is excellent. We had a good experience at Yak and Yeti TS but that was a couple of years ago. We did their QS last trip and it was pretty good.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter