Airmiles Armchair Chatter

I went to Sobeys Kanata to check out the pillers deal as I needed a few things. its in the flyers they have right in the store but no airmiles. I asked - and they told me its a mistake in the flyer. But they have a big sausage end cap done up. Classic thing was watching all the sausages being collected at the checkouts as people were probably noticing no AM on their receipts. I don't get it with Sobeys around here.....its always the same thing - they don't honour their own deals after they put money into advertising them

Please correct me if I'm wrong but if its in the flyer that they hand out in the store don't they have to honour the deal at least once or put up a notice to make a correction. If not isn't it false advertising?

By the way I was able to do the offer at Sobeys in Barrhaven.

Shell GC experience
Spent $78 (+ $1300.00) to get 2300+ airmiles
Drove an hour to the nearest Shell,
plan was to buy 5 x $100 prepaid m/c my airmiles and then use them to buy 5 x $100 Home Depot g/c with dh airmiles. and then repeat with DD airmiles and DS airmiles We are building a porch on the front of the house so planned to buy wood at Home Depot.
First Shell bought 1x $100 m/c with Amex (yay) but she couldn't figure out how to activate any of the Home Depot gift cards, so left with 1 prepaid m/c
Went to next shell 7 minutes away on Simcoe St North Oshawa, it's a tiny little booth, but they had the cards. Told the only attendant this is going to take a while so if customers come in to pay for gas I will step aside for them. OMG that booth was Tiny.......
Used first prepaid m/c that I had just bought at the other store to buy 1 Home Depot card.
Then I got flustered, and made a mistake bought 4 x 100 gift card on same transaction Drats!!!
Recovered by making 3 more $100 transactions but spend limit was now $300 more than planned.
Once purchased all the prepaid master cards (was able to use Amex here as well) tried to purchase the Home Depot Cards
Well the prepaid m/c kept declining, so I called the number on the back of the card thinking maybe you have to activate them. It was just a recording, there is no way to speak to anyone. The prompt says to put the numbers in and when I did it says the cards are good to go so I couldn't figure out why they weren't working. I also had to borrow attendants phone as I left mine in the Car. Finally I read the fine print and it says can take up to 24 hours to activate!!! You do not have to call to activate they activate automatically.
I had already bought one prepaid m/c and it worked so the attendant and I figured we would just wait a few minutes and he kept trying and sure enough eventually the prepaid m/c all went through.
The process took over 2 hours because customers kept coming in and it is time consuming activating all the cards
Started at 7:30 pm and finished at 9:45, all the restaurants that we like in the area were closed and we hadn't had dinner and we were still an hour away from home.
DH was waiting in the car the whole time... I had no idea it would take this long.... his car battery died because the key was in the wrong position and his window was open and it started to pour rain while we were waiting for CAA.. He had to drive home with a wet bottom, ah bless him.....
Ended up eating McDonalds :(
Gave the attendant a $25 gift card to Canadian Tire for being so helpful. He turned his air con off everytime I called the m/c phone number because the air con was so loud I couldn't hear on the phone and the booth was stifling hot............
He had called is boss at one point because he was having trouble activating one of the cards, then his boss kept calling him to ask him questions about me, his boss was very worried that someone I was going to defraud them. I gave him my name and phone number address etc. He told me they aren't supposed to sell more than $500 worth of prepaid cards..... well I would just have had dh come in and buy $500 so that wouldn't have stopped me. LOL

Things I learned,
prepaid cards can take up to 24 hours to activate,
don't get flustered and purchase all the cards in one transactions,
have lots of patience.
Thanks to everyone for helping me on this forum!

I don't think that the Sobeys one meant 150AM + 150AM, but if so, that would be awesome!

Oh you are opening a can of worms with this comment :) This was one seriously confusing AM situation at Sobeys when it happened but we are all hoping we get 150AM x however many cards we bought. Its a big glaring unchecked AM in my spreadsheet :)

Many of us, myself included, saw the memo Sobeys issued advising their stores that we would receive an additional 150 AM for each $150 gift card. While I think it was a mistake, Mega Miles used the same dates on the coupons and that is why there was a clarifying email sent. I had cashier not allow me to scan a second mega miles coupon when I bought my second $150 GC...the customer service desk gave me the 150 AM.

Marcyleecorgan, that's terrific what did you buy?
Admittedly I stocked up on the Doritos since they were 2/$6 as well as Buy 4 Get 50 AM
2 bags of cooked shrimp get 50 AM (we use these on the grill and MMMMM so easy)
Also bought 4 cans of iced tea mix as they were Buy 2 Get 50 AM
and then I had my Spend $150/150 coupon from the Airmiles website and the Spend $100/100 coupon for Blue Friday today so I split the purchases into a $160 and a $100

I don't think that the Sobeys one meant 150AM + 150AM, but if so, that would be awesome!

Oh you are opening a can of worms with this comment :) This was one seriously confusing AM situation at Sobeys when it happened but we are all hoping we get 150AM x however many cards we bought. Its a big glaring unchecked AM in my spreadsheet :)

Many of us, myself included, saw the memo Sobeys issued advising their stores that we would receive an additional 150 AM for each $150 gift card. While I think it was a mistake, Mega Miles used the same dates on the coupons and that is why there was a clarifying email sent. I had cashier not allow me to scan a second mega miles coupon when I bought my second $150 GC...the customer service desk gave me the 150 AM.

I saw the print-out of the e-mail my local Sobey's store received. It clearly stated staff was to advise customers they would receive BOTH 150 air miles. The 150 air miles on the receipt was for the Sobey's flyer offer. The 150 mega miles would come later. The MM coupon had to be scanned in order to receive the 150 MM at a later date.

I also think they made a mistake. Sobey's probably did not mean to have the promo at the same time the Mega Miles event was running but decided to honour it.

I think the next time I'm at Sobey's I'm going to ask the Manager if I could possibly take a photo of the e-mail. Air Miles and Sobeys had better honour it. Both my card and my husband's are waiting for an additional 600 mega miles as I purchased 4 of those gift cards on each AM account. I think it might come down to people having to contact AM for those extra MM.

Hmm interesting I will try to go on chat this weekend and see if I can get the gc points added then.

Had a great shop at Metro. AM is back lately I feel... between one or two good offers and targeted offers lately!
  • 3x light cream cheese = 20AM
  • 2x ben & jerry's + 1x becel = 30AM
  • heinz baked beans targeted offer = 3AM
  • orville redenbacher popcorn targeted offer = 5AM
  • mccain fries targeted offer = 3AM
  • baby carrots targeted offer = 3AM
  • spend $30 get 15AM targeted offer
For just over $34 I got 80AM!

Frustrating trip to Shell just now. The plan was to use the Visa cards that I bought yesterday to purchase a few other cards along with some phone cards, lottery tickets etc. The guy in the store said you can only pay with cards that have a chip. We went back and forth on it a couple of times and then I left empty handed. I then went to the other station down the street and asked before I started the transactions if they would accept the visa as payment. The woman looks at me like I’m an idiot and says yes. She rings up my first lot and the Visa card is declined. I tried again and she tried it....declined, declined, declined. I then try another card and same thing. So I paid with my Amex and left. Did get my 110 miles but was planning 5 transactions. I checked the balance on the cards and all say activated and ready to roll so I don’t know what’s up. Will try again tomorrow.

Frustrating trip to Shell just now. The plan was to use the Visa cards that I bought yesterday to purchase a few other cards along with some phone cards, lottery tickets etc. The guy in the store said you can only pay with cards that have a chip. We went back and forth on it a couple of times and then I left empty handed. I then went to the other station down the street and asked before I started the transactions if they would accept the visa as payment. The woman looks at me like I’m an idiot and says yes. She rings up my first lot and the Visa card is declined. I tried again and she tried it....declined, declined, declined. I then try another card and same thing. So I paid with my Amex and left. Did get my 110 miles but was planning 5 transactions. I checked the balance on the cards and all say activated and ready to roll so I don’t know what’s up. Will try again tomorrow.

That sounds extremely frustrating. I think you posted earlier that they never charged the activation fee on those prepaid credit cards. Could that be the reason they are being declined? Or maybe you need to wait a full 24 hours after activation?

That sounds extremely frustrating. I think you posted earlier that they never charged the activation fee on those prepaid credit cards. Could that be the reason they are being declined? Or maybe you need to wait a full 24 hours after activation?
I called to check the balance and it says all are ready for use with the full amount on the card. It also says no pending transactions. I even have the activation receipt that says 'success'. At the time that I was trying to make the purchase I was just past the 24 hour mark. :confused3

Something is wonkier than usual for me right now and i can't quote, reply or tag anyone!!

Regarding the prepaid credit cards: We were at CDN Tire tonight buying floor mats for our awesome new car (sooo spiffy and fun!) because it seems outlandish to pay an extra $300 just so they have the name of the car on them. Stood in line for flippin EVER behind a couple trying desperately to buy a bunch of camping supplies with a handful of those cards, i would venture that out of the 15 or so they had that 2 worked. Manager eventually came over and said they had been a problem with the cards working ALL WEEK. Poor family ended up putting back about 1/2 of what they wanted while apologizing profusely to those of us behind them. I feel badly for those of you who are trying to get this to work in your favour and hope things clear up before the promo ends.

Shell GC experience
Spent $78 (+ $1300.00) to get 2300+ airmiles
Drove an hour to the nearest Shell,
plan was to buy 5 x $100 prepaid m/c my airmiles and then use them to buy 5 x $100 Home Depot g/c with dh airmiles. and then repeat with DD airmiles and DS airmiles We are building a porch on the front of the house so planned to buy wood at Home Depot.
First Shell bought 1x $100 m/c with Amex (yay) but she couldn't figure out how to activate any of the Home Depot gift cards, so left with 1 prepaid m/c
Went to next shell 7 minutes away on Simcoe St North Oshawa, it's a tiny little booth, but they had the cards. Told the only attendant this is going to take a while so if customers come in to pay for gas I will step aside for them. OMG that booth was Tiny.......
Used first prepaid m/c that I had just bought at the other store to buy 1 Home Depot card.
Then I got flustered, and made a mistake bought 4 x 100 gift card on same transaction Drats!!!
Recovered by making 3 more $100 transactions but spend limit was now $300 more than planned.
Once purchased all the prepaid master cards (was able to use Amex here as well) tried to purchase the Home Depot Cards
Well the prepaid m/c kept declining, so I called the number on the back of the card thinking maybe you have to activate them. It was just a recording, there is no way to speak to anyone. The prompt says to put the numbers in and when I did it says the cards are good to go so I couldn't figure out why they weren't working. I also had to borrow attendants phone as I left mine in the Car. Finally I read the fine print and it says can take up to 24 hours to activate!!! You do not have to call to activate they activate automatically.
I had already bought one prepaid m/c and it worked so the attendant and I figured we would just wait a few minutes and he kept trying and sure enough eventually the prepaid m/c all went through.
The process took over 2 hours because customers kept coming in and it is time consuming activating all the cards
Started at 7:30 pm and finished at 9:45, all the restaurants that we like in the area were closed and we hadn't had dinner and we were still an hour away from home.
DH was waiting in the car the whole time... I had no idea it would take this long.... his car battery died because the key was in the wrong position and his window was open and it started to pour rain while we were waiting for CAA.. He had to drive home with a wet bottom, ah bless him.....
Ended up eating McDonalds :(
Gave the attendant a $25 gift card to Canadian Tire for being so helpful. He turned his air con off everytime I called the m/c phone number because the air con was so loud I couldn't hear on the phone and the booth was stifling hot............
He had called is boss at one point because he was having trouble activating one of the cards, then his boss kept calling him to ask him questions about me, his boss was very worried that someone I was going to defraud them. I gave him my name and phone number address etc. He told me they aren't supposed to sell more than $500 worth of prepaid cards..... well I would just have had dh come in and buy $500 so that wouldn't have stopped me. LOL

Things I learned,
prepaid cards can take up to 24 hours to activate,
don't get flustered and purchase all the cards in one transactions,
have lots of patience.
Thanks to everyone for helping me on this forum!

Oh my god you are an angel.Well done Hon! 2 hours is a long time,,bless your hubby.
I am hoping to churn some cards this weekend and I appreciate all your advice.
I definitely need Home Depot ones. I got the quote for my Home Reno tonight,,,,:tilt::upsidedow
I had a little panic attack and then realized that everything is going to be alright and I can do this.
I also hate making people wait behind me and have moved out of the way and let others pass me.
Best wishes with the new front porch.
Hugs Mel

I was going to skip this Blue Friday but after work took another look at the flyer and noticed the pet food also included Pedigree dentistix and marrow bones (neither were pictured) - buy 3 get 100 AM. So off to Safeway i went. Spent $144 and got 540 AM. That was one of my better Blue Friday hauls!
My 1250 Mega Miles also posted this week so all in all a very good AM week :dogdance:

The things that wake me up in the night......is it possible that the cards I tried to use were declined because the purchase was $107 and the card was $100. I thought that the $100 would come off and then I would just pay the $7 :confused3 I'm going to head to the grocery store this morning and try to use the card again.

Last edited:
Thinking of going to California have not been in 15 years, and want a few Disneyland days, how many days is enough to see all the new things. (Solo Adult trip)

I see Airmiles only has 3 day tickets, do they ever have 5 day tickets?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter