• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Air travel policy updates

If you have a long enough layover in YVR you can have the test for the US there. Only problem it’s probably outside security. It’s on 3rd floor of US departures near the Hotel end. It’s the antigen test. $125 ish. Results in 15 min.
We only have an hour layover so not long enough that I’m comfortable risking it. The cheapest testing I’ve found in PG is at least $100 more than the YVR one so that’s very frustrating.

Actually, we leave on the 7th :yay:.
If you are using the Go Test Rapid site, there‘s a code to get 15% off : TESTME. I don’t know if it’ll still work in a month, but it’s worth a try!
Good news of the day, I called my work group insurance and my plan covers the testing! I knew that blood tests and other analysis at private clinics are generally covered and they confirmed that Covid-19 PCR test for traveling are also covered, both ways (from Canada and back). It is worth checking if you do have health insurance.

If you have a long enough layover in YVR you can have the test for the US there. Only problem it’s probably outside security. It’s on 3rd floor of US departures near the Hotel end. It’s the antigen test. $125 ish. Results in 15 min.
I have been thinking about this. I might be worth it for us to head to Vancouver the night before get the test done at the airport that evening and then fly out in the am.

Good news of the day, I called my work group insurance and my plan covers the testing! I knew that blood tests and other analysis at private clinics are generally covered and they confirmed that Covid-19 PCR test for traveling are also covered, both ways (from Canada and back). It is worth checking if you do have health insurance.
Thanks for the reminder since we do have work health insurance, but I’ve checked and our insurance specifically will NOT cover any testing for travelling purposes :(
Good news for you though!

Update!

We extended our stay to arrive back after the change in quarantine policies as all three of us are fully vaccinated (and a few more days at Disney isn’t the worst either). We did the Walgreens Rapid ID Now test this afternoon, which is NAAT and an accepted test. They promise results within 24 hours.

Originally, we were planning to book an Uber or Lyft. However, I started getting nervous about the drivers refusing once they learned what we were asking of them and thereby missing our appointments. I ended up seeing a Mears taxi outside our resort a few days ago and asked him if this was something he might be willing to do- he said sure, so I called him to book it yesterday. I booked at a nearby Walgreens three days earlier, which is the earliest you can book. I booked two people into one slot and the third into another slot- they seem to do 15-minute intervals and two people per slot. I called Walgreens and they said that no insurance/ residency ID was required, that the government was funding the tests if we didn’t have insurance or weren’t residents. It did sound too good to be true, but we were prepared to pay if needed.

There was quite a line at the pharmacy drive thru, but our cab driver didn’t bat an eye. He just waited patiently for about 20 minutes until we could roll to the window. We had been told to bring ID and appointment confirmation emails, but in the end, all we were asked were our names. That amazing cab driver sat through all of us self-swabbing without a hint of annoyance- I’m not sure any Uber driver would genuinely have waited 20 minutes in a line, plus sat through people sticking q-tips up their noses, so I’m really glad we arranged this whole process in advance!

There was no charge- our receipts showed $129 for each test and then zeroed out. Unbelievably, we got our results less than an hour after getting back to the resort.

I hope this helps anyone “stuck” with the return travel testing! I know that this was a point of some anxiety for us throughout our stay and it involved a lot of puzzle pieces that needed to be fitted together.

Update!

We extended our stay to arrive back after the change in quarantine policies as all three of us are fully vaccinated (and a few more days at Disney isn’t the worst either). We did the Walgreens Rapid ID Now test this afternoon, which is NAAT and an accepted test. They promise results within 24 hours.

Originally, we were planning to book an Uber or Lyft. However, I started getting nervous about the drivers refusing once they learned what we were asking of them and thereby missing our appointments. I ended up seeing a Mears taxi outside our resort a few days ago and asked him if this was something he might be willing to do- he said sure, so I called him to book it yesterday. I booked at a nearby Walgreens three days earlier, which is the earliest you can book. I booked two people into one slot and the third into another slot- they seem to do 15-minute intervals and two people per slot. I called Walgreens and they said that no insurance/ residency ID was required, that the government was funding the tests if we didn’t have insurance or weren’t residents. It did sound too good to be true, but we were prepared to pay if needed.

There was quite a line at the pharmacy drive thru, but our cab driver didn’t bat an eye. He just waited patiently for about 20 minutes until we could roll to the window. We had been told to bring ID and appointment confirmation emails, but in the end, all we were asked were our names. That amazing cab driver sat through all of us self-swabbing without a hint of annoyance- I’m not sure any Uber driver would genuinely have waited 20 minutes in a line, plus sat through people sticking q-tips up their noses, so I’m really glad we arranged this whole process in advance!

There was no charge- our receipts showed $129 for each test and then zeroed out. Unbelievably, we got our results less than an hour after getting back to the resort.

I hope this helps anyone “stuck” with the return travel testing! I know that this was a point of some anxiety for us throughout our stay and it involved a lot of puzzle pieces that needed to be fitted together.
Thank you so much for this! This makes me way more relaxed about the whole process. I'm going to Disneyland ( I'm thinking you were at WDW?) but I'd assume the Walgreen's process would be similar. We won't have a car so I wondered if a taxi or Uber would work. And the Rapid ID Now is accepted to come back to Canada? I was unsure if that one would be allowed. Good to know!!

Update!

Thanks for this. I'll keepthe mears taxi in mind and I definitely hope to hear a few more accounts before I come back mid September. Ideally we won't be requires to test at all but having first hand accounts of people going through it with taxis or ride shares is excellent information. Thanks again for sharing.

Update!

Thank you for this update. 😊😊

Fantastic news! Would you mind me asking who you are insured by?
Wow! That is fabulous!

Update!

Thank you so so much for such a detailed and encouraging report. If you think that your cab driver would appreciate more of this business, please PM me his contact information. We are now so looking forward to our vacations!

Who can confirm which of the charges/fees/taxes are non refundable under this? I am particularly worried about the Partner booking fee:

Flights
Air transportation chargesIncluded
Partner booking fee ($39.00x4)
$156.00
Taxes, fees and charges
September 11th Security Fee - United States ($6.95x4)$27.80
Air Travellers Security Charge - Canada ($12.10x4)
$48.40
Harmonized Sales Tax - Canada - 100092287 RT0001 ($0.78x4)
$3.12
Airport Improvement Fee - Canada ($41.00x4)
$164.00
Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) User Fee – United States ($4.91x4)
$19.64
Goods and Services Tax - Canada - 100092287 RT0001 ($2.36x4)
$9.44
Quebec Sales Tax - Canada - 1000043172 TQ1991 ($3.49x4)
$13.96
Immigration User Fee - United States ($8.69x4)
$34.76
Customs User Fee - United States ($7.43x4)
$29.72

Update!

Thank you! I was concerned about the Uber driver refusing to take us to get tested as well so I booked a rental car but the rate for one day is ridiculous. Would you mind PM me the cab driver’s info? Thanks!

Thank you so much for this! This makes me way more relaxed about the whole process. I'm going to Disneyland ( I'm thinking you were at WDW?) but I'd assume the Walgreen's process would be similar. We won't have a car so I wondered if a taxi or Uber would work. And the Rapid ID Now is accepted to come back to Canada? I was unsure if that one would be allowed. Good to know!!
Have you looked into Walgreens near DL? They are all different and I don't think they are offering the same ID NOW test that they are in in Orlando/near WDW. When I use the DGC address, all the Walgreens near DL only offer the PCR test and not the ID NOW test. Might be something you want to call first to verify.

Who can confirm which of the charges/fees/taxes are non refundable under this? I am particularly worried about the Partner booking fee:

I've cancelled/rebooked my flights for Princess Weekend at least twice already and I had no issues. Points were back in my account less than 10 minutes after cancelling, and all taxes were reimbursed to my credit card in the next few days. Here's from my first cancellation, where the whole 74$ was reimbursed.

Agreed about the partner booking fee though. I haven't seen this is any of my bookings. I went through aircanada.com for each one.

Update!

This is great information, thank you for sharing! If you wouldn't mind PMing me the taxi driver's info, I would love to have it as well. My daughter and I are traveling next month and trying to find the safest option for us to travel to Walgreen's to get the test done.

Update!

I’ll tag on here as well with a request to PM me the taxi driver’s info. Might be easier than dealing with a rental car.

Thanks for the detailed update!

Have you looked into Walgreens near DL? They are all different and I don't think they are offering the same ID NOW test that they are in in Orlando/near WDW. When I use the DGC address, all the Walgreens near DL only offer the PCR test and not the ID NOW test. Might be something you want to call first to verify.
Good call on this. After some digging, I found the one on South Harbor in fact does not offer the ID NOW and cannot guarantee results on the PCR in time for travel. Back to the drawing board I guess :guilty:

Update!

Thanks so much for posting this! Honestly, this was a big stressor here and your post helped a great deal. Could you please PM me the taxi driver's information as he sounds like a gem?

Cheers!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter