• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Ahhh Pete...you might have to eat your words about the Orlando Magic.

The palace IS good for auburn hills. It provides A LOT of jobs, and there are several businesses nearby that benefit from it. Not to mention companies that can advertise services such as limos etc. BUT the Pistons have a pretty loyal fan base. Orlando is full of snow birds and other transient folks, who come to town with their own favorites. Last year when we were down there we could have gotten face value tickets the day of the game when detroit was playing the magic the during the eastern conference semi finals. Try to get a face value Pistons ticket during the playoffs!!! It is HARD. It is just a different city... different fans. BUT I am thrilled they are in the finals!

the palace works very very hard at generating crowds...
going to the palace is an experience....whether the pistons win or lose, you're guaranteed a good time....

it's called operations and marketing...the pistons and the palace have a machine behind them that know how to create, package and market a product...

and that's in the regular seats...

have you ever been in one of the suites? it really doesn't matter what's going on down on the floor when you're in a suite...and those babies cost a FORTUNE....

it's a goldmine when run properly...i suppose you could say that if it is such a goldmine, then the government could build it and then reap the benefits...
however, governments are notorious at not running things well.....so it's unlikely it would be a goldmine in their hands...

Going to the Eastern Conference Finals for 6 years in a row will also put butts in the seats a lot quicker than any kind of experience they have there.

Going to the Eastern Conference Finals for 6 years in a row will also put butts in the seats a lot quicker than any kind of experience they have there.

there were derrieres in the seats even when they weren't winning..
though i don't know what will happen now that Mr. D is gone..:sad1:

Ok time for A Mini Rant. Here is whats going on in my Hometown of Columbus Ohio. Which is why I moved 25 miles north of Columbus.

Council approves Columbus tax vote for Aug.

Democrat calls for debate, not 'crass politics'

City Council President Michael C. Mentel said last night that there's no room for election-year politics in the debate over raising income taxes in Columbus. Politics came crashing in less than an hour later.

"I really touched a nerve, didn't I?" said Alicia Healy, a Republican council challenger who told Mentel and his Democratic colleagues that they're spending too much, driving away jobs and wasting money by scheduling a tax referendum in August instead of November.

Council members voted unanimously last night to move forward with an Aug. 4 special election that will give city residents the last word on taxes. Mayor Michael B. Coleman and other elected city officials already have endorsed a proposal to raise the income tax to 2.5 percent from the 2 percent rate that has been in place since 1983.

Without more money, city leaders say, Columbus will have to cut an additional $100 million or more from next year's budget, which would mean hundreds of police and fire layoffs and deeper service cuts than those already imposed.

"This is an issue that comes right to the core of what we want to be as a city," said Mentel, who called for a tax debate focused on facts instead of "crass politics."

But the campaign will take place alongside a race for three council seats on the ballot in November. Healy and two other GOP candidates -- Roseann Hicks and Matt Ferris -- oppose a tax increase. They're challenging Democratic incumbents A. Troy Miller, Eileen Paley and Priscilla R. Tyson, all of whom back a higher rate.

Healy said last night that it's Democrats who are playing politics with the tax proposal. She called threats of police layoffs scare tactics meant to push voters into the yes column.

Healy addressed council members at the end of their weekly meeting during time set aside for public comment.

Without identifying specifics, the Republican told council members to balance the budget through spending cuts and elimination of "pet projects." She proposed that Columbus set aside less money for capital projects so it can shore up its operating budget.

She also took up the cause for suburban residents who work in Columbus and pay city taxes. Noting that they are ineligible to vote on the proposed increase, she said that amounts to taxation without representation.

Mentel, who isn't on this year's ballot, responded with growing irritation.

"This is not some sort of political football," he told Healy. "This is about real choices in a real hard time with real people's lives and jobs."

After the meeting, Democrats challenged their opponents to lay out plans for further budget cuts.

"If they feel we can make cuts in places, tell us where," Tyson said. "Police and fire? Parks? Trash pickup? Where?"

And whats worse they want to pay taxes to keep the Hockey Team the columbus Blue jackets in Columbus :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter