• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Ahhh Pete...you might have to eat your words about the Orlando Magic.

I'm thrilled the Magic are doing well - I never commented about their prowess as a basketball team, simply their impact on and value to tourism. I've always believed the tourism tax should be focused on that - tourism - not arenas or other venues.

Laws were written and decisions made during a 'super-boom' in tourism - as I've pointed out numerous times those decisions were short sighted and did not consider what would be needed should an economic downturn occur. Granted, most people would never have predicted the kind of once-in-a-century financial meltdown we've experienced in the last year, but economic conditions do fluctuate (we've had no fewer than three 'recessions' since the late 70's) and no consideration was given to that reality when some of these decisions were made.

That money - especially now - should have been directed towards tourist related services and promotions. It might have helped stem the tide on the near 10% unemployment some areas in Central Florida are experiencing right now. Tourism has taken a huge hit in this town - contingencies should have been put in place to consider that possibility when these absurd and inane decisions were made.

Pete

Things like a) game 7, b) no real competition for sports audience, and c) playing the defending champ Celtics certainly contributed to this but it is good to see that people are showing some interest. It would be great if the Magic could have a bigger impact on tourism in Orlando but they aren't the heart of tourism like some sports teams are in their markets. None the less, good for Orlando. Having LeBron in town for a couple of nights will help spark a little more interest as well. And then they'll lose!:rotfl:

I'm thrilled the Magic are doing well - I never commented about their prowess as a basketball team, simply their impact on and value to tourism. I've always believed the tourism tax should be focused on that - tourism - not arenas or other venues.

Laws were written and decisions made during a 'super-boom' in tourism - as I've pointed out numerous times those decisions were short sighted and did not consider what would be needed should an economic downturn occur. Granted, most people would never have predicted the kind of once-in-a-century financial meltdown we've experienced in the last year, but economic conditions do fluctuate (we've had no fewer than three 'recessions' since the late 70's) and no consideration was given to that reality when some of these decisions were made.

That money - especially now - should have been directed towards tourist related services and promotions. It might have helped stem the tide on the near 10% unemployment some areas in Central Florida are experiencing right now. Tourism has taken a huge hit in this town - contingencies should have been put in place to consider that possibility when these absurd and inane decisions were made.

Pete

Very fair points and IMO this is a much better argument than the one that was used on the show :thumbsup2

It might be easy for some to think that they decided to build the arena on a whim during a bad economy. This was in the planning stages for a long time, like you said.

Hopefully the new arena will bring more acts to the area (another thing a lot of people are forgetting is that even the current arena is used for a lot more than the basketball team) and can help revitalize the downtown area. If it is not successful in doing that, then it can be looked at as a mistake.

Personally, I feel that a tourism tax in the area should be allowed to be used for more than tourism and marketing if it helps the community, but this is a "once-in-a-century financial meltdown" and that does make things look a lot different.

But the money could be so much better spent elsewhere.

A new stadium is a luxury when other things are necessary.

Our education system is horrible. We are ranked something like 48th out of 50.

We could use another highway. I 4 is over used and crowded.

There are many, many things that would benefit Orlando more than a new stadium....no matter where the dollars come from.

While I agree the money could be put to better use elsewhere, the projects listed would usually not be funded that way...

Education is a federal and state expenditure with local property taxes making up the rest. The lack of state income tax has always hurt florida in this regard, as well as the fact the state portion of the tourist tax money not being used in the right places such as education. Local municipalities generally would not fund to that extent... a portion sure, but not the main funder.

As for the highway, I believe that is a federal expenditure, and maybe a state one as well. The city money would not be spent on this either.

Now using it for light rail, local road repair, etc.... That might be a better use.

I do agree though. People do NOT go on vacation to see basketball. There are only a few sports teams I can think of that people would plan to see on vacation and not a "We are bored, lets do something." The Cubs, The Red Sox, The Yankees, The Dodgers... Those are teams people go to see... Even then, since Yankee Stadium is no longer there, this may change. In Basketball, I can only think of a handful of teams that would draw tourists over the last 30 years... The Bulls with Jordan, The Lakers with Magic and the newer versions with Kobe and Shaq, The Celtics with McHale, Bird and Parrish and the Cavaliers for Lebron (and the lack of activities in Cleveland) and MAYBE the Knicks because of Madison Square garden. Thats it.

Should be a great series. A lot closer than the experts are saying.

Disagree... This will be over in 5... maybe 6, unless Lebron gets hurt. He just looks unstoppable right now and his supporting cast is playing well. Plus Orlando has played a lot more than Cleveland has in the post season.

I'm thinking Nuggets vs Cavs... with Cavs winning it all.

There is a very big difference between Orlando's tourism priorities and cities like Cleveland, Pittsburgh, and Cincinnati. Cities like these don't have big tourism draws like Disney or Universal. We have to rely on our sports teams to draw people into the city form close by and further away. Here, a tourism tax to help fund a stadium can be justified because a much larger percentage of visitors are coming for sporting events.

In cities like Orlando there are much bigger fish than the sports team. It isn't that the sports teams draw no one or that they are not good teams. It is rather a numbers game. I would wager that a very low percentage of tourism money goes to support the magic or local theaters while a much higher percentage would go to those things in non-tourist based cities like Cleveland. I would wager that a city like New York is the same way. Broadway, Times Square, and landmarks like the Empire State Building and Statue of Liberty draw a lot more people in than the sports teams so, much like Orlando, tourism dollars should go to them and not to new stadia for sports teams.

I would also imagine that the travelers who do go to magic games add that to their Disney/Sea World/Universal trips as opposed to going to Orlando just to see the magic and maybe add on a day at a park.

Oh goodness not this again!

We share frustrations, my friend. Unfortunately, these issues will NEVER go away, no matter how much we want them to (at least until Orlando and Disney change some things). I think Pete should just write his opinions on both in a Word document, and then copy and paste when the time is right. :rolleyes1

if I could get them from a reputable site ~ I'm always afraid of scams. We live just north of St. Augustine and head down to Disney quite often. Our boys, 16 and 13 always ask to go to a game when we are down there and they are watching them on tv.

I guess my point is that we would go if the tickets were legitimate and not overly outrageous. Whether or not they are playing in a new arena makes no difference to me or us!

Our kids go to public school here in St. Johns County. Our schools have tried very hard to lobby not for increases, but less reductions. Thankfully, they haven't taken 7th period away for our oldest and they are still going to fund the IB Program. Taxpayer dollars should be used to fund what is needed not luxury items. If we were in Orlando and they cut our school budget and built that new arena, I would be one very mad mom!

the Cavaliers for Lebron (and the lack of activities in Cleveland) Thats it.

Lack of activities????? I always have yard work that needs doing. Or you could drive one of my kids to baseball practice, or piano lessons, or rehearsal for the school play. DH is insulating the attic and needs help. That oughta keep a few of you guys busy for a long weekend, right? :lmao: :thumbsup2

--Hillary

I do agree though. People do NOT go on vacation to see basketball.
This was not for a Basketball game but in December 2007 my dad and I drove from WDW - Tampa Bay, because my favorite NHL team the Toronto Maple Leafs happened to be playing the Tampa Bay Lightning. I realize it meant giving up a day at WDW however it was worth it because whenever the Maple Leafs play in such US cities with a warm climate like Tampa, Sunrise, Los Angeles, Anaheim and San Jose there are always going to be a lot of people from Toronto and Southern Ontario who go and watch them. I would also say at the game I went to in Tampa there was at least 1,000 fans or more from Toronto. Plus it was the first time I ever watched a live NHL game outside of Toronto and who knows if I will ever see another game in Tampa again, because the NHL schedule changes every year.

Okay Ohioans. :thumbsup2Dont you think we should ban together and have an Ohio DIS meet like other states have. There sure are enough of us judging from the posts. Oh by the way did I say GO CAVS:banana::banana::banana:

This was not for a Basketball game but in December 2007 my dad and I drove from WDW - Tampa Bay, because my favorite NHL team the Toronto Maple Leafs happened to be playing the Tampa Bay Lightning. I realize it meant giving up a day at WDW however it was worth it because whenever the Maple Leafs play in such US cities with a warm climate like Tampa, Sunrise, Los Angeles, Anaheim and San Jose there are always going to be a lot of people from Toronto and Southern Ontario who go and watch them. I would also say at the game I went to in Tampa there was at least 1,000 fans or more from Toronto. Plus it was the first time I ever watched a live NHL game outside of Toronto and who knows if I will ever see another game in Tampa again, because the NHL schedule changes every year.
That's totally different. :rotfl2: The only affordable way to see a Leafs game is to go to another city. We've done a road trip to Montreal to watch a game (along with the usual guy weekend antics).

I've been out of the DisBoard loop for a while, but when they beat the Celts, I was thinking exactly what you said ;-) Of course, b-ball fans are fleeting, so if they have a bad season it BAU...but what a great run for them.

Okay Ohioans. :thumbsup2Dont you think we should ban together and have an Ohio DIS meet like other states have. There sure are enough of us judging from the posts.
QUOTE]

I think we should do a chocolate tour of the Tremont area (in honor of all the chocolate we should send to the podcast team, but can't because Orlando is hotter than the surface of the sun!)

--Hillary

I think we should do a chocolate tour of the Tremont area (in honor of all the chocolate we should send to the podcast team, but can't because Orlando is hotter than the surface of the sun!)

--Hillary

I don't know about chocolate but I would love to do a DIS tour of Tremont.

Even I wouldn't go to see the Magic when I'm in Orlando and I have reason to want to -- Jameer Nelson is the greatest player to ever play for my college team and I love him (and his magical undefeated season) more than just about anybody in sports.

But he's no Mickey Mouse.

Even though he's injured and not playing, I'm still rooting for the Magic to upset the Cavs...which is hard for me to do since I think LeBron James is awesome too.

This type of dilemma is why I plan to watch tennis and not basketball for the next two weeks!

i don't understand why public funding is necessary at all.

it's my understanding that the palace of auburn hills (home of the detroit pistons) was built by private funding (bill davidson, the late great owner of the pistons and 2 or 3 other guys, i can't remember any more it was so many years ago - davidson, hermelin and sosnick and maybe someone else)...

those guys shelled out a fortune, but made a bundle in return...

it's not just the home of the pistons, there are concerts there throughout the year...

the place is a gold mine...i would assume the home of the magic would be the same...not just for basketball, but other profit generating entertainment as well..

so why was public funding needed? who owns the magic? why didn't the owner build a new arena (together with partners, if he couldn't go it alone)...
the owner stands to reap the benefits, the owner should build the place..

The palace IS good for auburn hills. It provides A LOT of jobs, and there are several businesses nearby that benefit from it. Not to mention companies that can advertise services such as limos etc. BUT the Pistons have a pretty loyal fan base. Orlando is full of snow birds and other transient folks, who come to town with their own favorites. Last year when we were down there we could have gotten face value tickets the day of the game when detroit was playing the magic the during the eastern conference semi finals. Try to get a face value Pistons ticket during the playoffs!!! It is HARD. It is just a different city... different fans. BUT I am thrilled they are in the finals!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter