Ah the booking FW to gain early entry continues...

Boopuff

DIS Veteran
Saw this today on a FB post: "- Stayed offsite but also paid for a camp site at Fort Wilderness. This provided early entry, 7am ILL, $10 discount on magic bands, free parking at the parks. Note we did not stay offsite to save money (our accomodation was the same or more than a deluxe resort). I made another post on this which offended some. I called Disney prior and they said it was allowed."
I just get so upset by these people who continue to champion their "brillance" at beating the system. Leave the fort alone!

To add to the awesomeness of this crazy post the person responded: -"there was no shortage of sites when we went. In addition we paid for something that Disney was selling." No shortage of sites... hmmm maybe because people like this person booked them with no intention of using it! SHAME

No shortage of sites... hmmm maybe because people like this person booked them with no intention of using it! SHAME
You do realize “no shortage of sites” means there were LOTS of sites that were empty. They weren’t keeping anyone else from using a campsite in that case.

Yes, but many times the empty sites are never used by the cheaters. They sit empty so the cheaters get perks, while true campers can’t use or book those sites
What difference does it really make if a person sets up a tent and actually stays there or not? It’s booked either way. Not taking away anything from anyone. It could actually be an advantage to those camping in the same area. Less people in the restrooms/shower facilities, fewer people on resort transportation, quieter in the loop. Never would have thought of doing this myself, not sure it’s really all that widespread- though I could be wrong.

Most likely it is being done quite a bit. Would not doubt it what so ever. But ya, it would have never entered my mind either.

What difference does it really make if a person sets up a tent and actually stays there or not? It’s booked either way. Not taking away anything from anyone. It could actually be an advantage to those camping in the same area. Less people in the restrooms/shower facilities, fewer people on resort transportation, quieter in the loop. Never would have thought of doing this myself, not sure it’s really all that widespread- though I could be wrong.

you-serious-clark-eat.gif

Again, these actions simply support my plan that Disney establish a "Virtual Loop 2900" at the Fort for all the digital denizens to pile into because this stunt currently denies a campsite to those people who actually want to camp there.

Bama Eddie

Why would Disney care if you check in or not? People do this all the time at Universal too, because the perks are even better.

There are many older threads on the topic of 'throw-away' reservations. Disney cares because it is an example of 'gaming' the system and takes away availability from people who actually DO want to camp there.

What Disney should do is cancel all of the park reservations/ADR's/etc. that person has made if they do NOT check-in and actually stay there. The other option would be to stop offering those 'perks' which create the incentive to cheat.

You can do on-line checkin remotely/early with Disney and not show up in person at all. So this idea is correct but only if one has to check into the Fort in person.

I had a conversation with an assistant manager of the Fort (lower level management type) about the throw-away reservations a few years ago. They were aware of it and I was told, "it's not a big enough problem to deal with". And it's really not a problem when the Fort has slack capacity so NO ONE is prevented from camping at the Fort. But the problem rears its head when the Fort is fully reserved (most weekends not including Jul-Aug-Sep), holiday times (many), etc. which is increasingly more common since Disney would rather build DVC resorts than expand a campground.

I'm not going to rehash my rant on this topic. It's cogent, sound, and correct. But there is so much flawed logic in the original FB quote that I'm stunned people think this is a better approach. When they say, for example, "it's not about the money", that means .... it's about the money. ::yes::

Bama Ed

Same goes for those booking adjacent sites to house their holiday decoration setups. I too have stated before, they are pretty to look at but not to those of us who cannot get a reservation because an empty site was taken up by a decoration vs a human camper.

I guess booking the campsites is the only affordable way to stay at the Fort if one wanted too. The night of 12/12 in a cabin is $583. That is absolutely insane!

I guess booking the campsites is the only affordable way to stay at the Fort if one wanted too. The night of 12/12 in a cabin is $583. That is absolutely insane!
And it's considered a moderate! :oops:

I know of a few popular RV parks/state parks where if you are not IN your site by 6pm on your arrival date (unless by prior arrangement) your site is cancelled. No refund. They had too many people booking a week and showing up for 3 days and sites sitting empty. Not fair to those who can't get a site.

I guess Disney could institute a similar policy if they wanted to send a CM or two in golf carts to go through the loops and mark down empty 'reserved' spaces. If there's no one there and no record of contact about showing up late (with an approx time) then they'd end up with a cancelled reservation, no refund, with loss of 'privileges' and park reservations.

But Disney's not about to do that. Too much possible bad PR. Besides, they don't care because they're still getting paid.

People saying "Oh it's OK". It's not. It's like taking something from someone and figuring it's ok because you left some money. No good to say "But I paid for it!" if the 'owner' wanted to give it to someone who'd use it properly.

Could Disney be thinking that if all the campsites are booked up, then people will fork over thier retirement to stay in a cabin?

Again, these actions simply support my plan that Disney establish a "Virtual Loop 2900" at the Fort for all the digital denizens to pile into because this stunt currently denies a campsite to those people who actually want to camp there.
A great idea! As some others have commented, I can't believe anyone ever thought of this! I'm just not that smart :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter