Agree to Disagree! DISUnplugged Show March 22!

I think it is a combination of all of it. The quality of CM's are down IMO and with FP+, standby lines are longer for rides that used to have a minimum wait time. We've frequently gone at crowded times, so that for me is what I expect. Theoretically, you may be right, but the realist side of me says this is to just about $ and not about trying to improve guest's experience.

I don't disagree with any of the points you made - just would say the added hours programs are separate from the negative items you site

And it is definitely about a $ and maximizing revenue for Disney. Heck, Walt hired someone to slap Mickey's face on anything they could think of to help maximize revenue so that is nothing new - but I think the challenge is that can't come while negatively impacting the general guest experience ... I think Disney is trying to think of ways to deal with the crowds but it is an odd problem to have to be "too popular"

On the "What Would You Do If You Ran WDW Thread", my only thought was extending park hours to the early morning into the late night because Disney's current problem is obvious: more people are traveling to WDW, there is only 1 Magic Kingdom, and there are only 24 hours in a day.

There are a lot of current programs and tours Disney runs that would be hilarious if they announced today in the wake of all this other news.

"Keys to the Kingdom, what? Some suckers are going to pay $80 for lunch and a look at the trash compactor? This nickel-and-diming is out of control"

You know maybe Disney is going about this wrong. Maybe what they really need to do to help control crowds is to lower prices. Create more activities and tours and extra experiences outside of the regular park visits but make them affordable to more people. Make it so people will actually decide to skip a park day to do these other things. Make it so a significant number of guests will forgo a full day in the park to instead enter at 7pm and stay til 1am. They wouldn't even need to extend hours. There are other parks that offer a reduced price ticket for entry after 4pm, when the parks are typically less crowded anyway. Maybe that would work at Disney. What about the water parks? We've never been to Blizzard Beach because we refuse to spend nearly $200 for that. For that money, we'd rather add a park day to our itinerary. We'd really enjoy the World Showcase tour they offer, but it would be about $350 for the 3 of us. Much cheaper to do a regular park day. Maybe if there were more interesting and unique things to do that fit in people's budgets, that would lessen some of the crowding in the parks. I know I would happily give up a park day to do that Epcot tour, but not at the current price.

You know maybe Disney is going about this wrong. Maybe what they really need to do to help control crowds is to lower prices. Create more activities and tours and extra experiences outside of the regular park visits but make them affordable to more people. Make it so people will actually decide to skip a park day to do these other things. Make it so a significant number of guests will forgo a full day in the park to instead enter at 7pm and stay til 1am. They wouldn't even need to extend hours. There are other parks that offer a reduced price ticket for entry after 4pm, when the parks are typically less crowded anyway. Maybe that would work at Disney. What about the water parks? We've never been to Blizzard Beach because we refuse to spend nearly $200 for that. For that money, we'd rather add a park day to our itinerary. We'd really enjoy the World Showcase tour they offer, but it would be about $350 for the 3 of us. Much cheaper to do a regular park day. Maybe if there were more interesting and unique things to do that fit in people's budgets, that would lessen some of the crowding in the parks. I know I would happily give up a park day to do that Epcot tour, but not at the current price.

I think there are a lot of ways to do this - and I do think offering reasonably priced tours/activities outside of typical park experience or hours would be one way to go. I mean, if they had something that was like $59 and covered from midnight to 6am would people take advantage of that? or something like a non-theme park package of a water park, mini-golf and dinner somewhere for $99/person ... something like that. Or a "day" pass that gets you in the morning through, say the FOF parade (and maybe included viewing for that) - for say $89/person. You wouldn't get fireworks or anything (so lower crowds for that part of the day) - then could sell a separate ticket for "after 4pm" for $89/person again - don't get FoF but do get Fireworks ... something like that

The other idea I thought of was to go the reverse and make tickets much more expensive, but then keep the annual pass where it is or even lower it ... basically make it so that if you are going for a week it is the same price to get an AP. Would motivate people to come back for a 2nd trip in the same year and feel like they don't need to get everything done in the one trip if they know they are coming twice

Someway to spread the crowds out (especially connected to Magic Kingdom) that actually offered a lower price (but for "limited times/experience") would be interesting

The other idea I thought of was to go the reverse and make tickets much more expensive, but then keep the annual pass where it is or even lower it ... basically make it so that if you are going for a week it is the same price to get an AP. Would motivate people to come back for a 2nd trip in the same year and feel like they don't need to get everything done in the one trip if they know they are coming twice
I don't think that would work. Despite the folks who hang out here on the boards, "normal" folks don't go to WDW multiple times per year. Most don't even go once a year (imagine that!). Hiking the ticket price would surely reduce crowds but not for the reason you suggested. It would cut down the crowds simply because people could no longer afford it.

I don't think that would work. Despite the folks who hang out here on the boards, "normal" folks don't go to WDW multiple times per year. Most don't even go once a year (imagine that!). Hiking the ticket price would surely reduce crowds but not for the reason you suggested. It would cut down the crowds simply because people could no longer afford it.

Yeah I wasn't clear about that - part of it would limit some people from coming or maybe they would only come every 2-3 or more years, but then some who do would then come twice that year

So reduce how many people that come and then spread out hose people's trips

Interesting comment on youtube about the conversation. I didn't really notice it, but I guess a lot of people are upset by Kevin's "aggressiveness."

"Btw not sure what is wrong with Kevin but there is no reason to be so agressive in making a point. It's disrespective to your colleages to not let one finish making their point and comming up with more and more silly arguments loosing your credibility. I love a good rant but here it was uncomfertable."

I mean, if they had something that was like $59 and covered from midnight to 6am would people take advantage of that? or something like a non-theme park package of a water park, mini-golf and dinner somewhere for $99/person ... something like that. Or a "day" pass that gets you in the morning through, say the FOF parade (and maybe included viewing for that) - for say $89/person.
I can already see the forum posts! "Disney offers new day pass for non-theme park activities. They must really be desperate for money. Could this be the end?"

Here are my thoughts:

It seems that every time something happens, instead of reacting only to that one thing, everyone jumps to "what's next".

Not everything Disney rolls out has a long life. They test the waters and find the breaking point.

So let's take each item for what it's worth.

1. $150 for 7-8 hours in the park. That's right, it's not 3 hours. I get from 7-11PM nighttime experiences with full crowd levels, then 11-2AM with limited crowd levels. So it comes down to the timing of that one day ticket. This experience is not an add-on to a multi-day ticket, it is yet another option for a 1-day ticket depending on the time of day I want to spend in the park. For an extra $30, I get an experience not afforded to other 1-day tickets or multi-day purchasers, because I'm a night owl. This also does not effect EMHs because they are on opposite days.

2. Pay for reservations for parades and fireworks. This is nothing new, and I'm sure there will plenty of warning where these reserved areas are so you don't try to stake out a reserved area as a non-reservation person. Personally, the Fastpass location for parades being the same for fireworks was terrible planning. You did not receive an "enhanced experience" is you fast passed a parade because it was not on the curb of the parade route.

3. Character dining. This is an excellent option for not standing in the heat or missing a 15 minute M&G. It costs a premium for sure. I would not pay $50/person for the buffets/meals associated with these experiences.

4. Nightly resort fees. This is the one I probably have the larger issue with; however, I will react to it accordingly (with the resort management if needed) after I experience what exactly this means and if there is an opt-out option if those amenities are not utilized.

Again, everyone keeps jumping to "what's next" and not a absorbing what this is. In our society we have the complete ability to change the future. React to what this is here and now accordingly to shape what the future will bring.

The past is always revisited and lessons learned are many times forgotten, so it's society's responsibility to remind the companies why they changed direction before.

Yes, Disney was a ticket book system before with A-E tickets. It was in the companies best interest to enhance the guest experience and reduce operating cost by going to a single addmission pricing.

Last edited:
Yes, Disney was a ticket book system before with A-E tickets. It was in the companies best interest to enhance the guest experience and reduce operating cost by going to a single addmission pricing.
And the ticket books aren't the only example of this.

When DisneyQuest first opened, it was pay-as-you-go. You got a debit-type card and could add as much or as little value to it as you wanted. There was no fee to get in and you only paid for the games you played. We loved that and went a few times. Then they changed to the flat price, all inclusive model. That didn't work for us so we have never been back. We voted with our actions. It didn't change anything but had enough people not come in due to that, I'm sure it would have.

Interesting comment on youtube about the conversation. I didn't really notice it, but I guess a lot of people are upset by Kevin's "aggressiveness."

"Btw not sure what is wrong with Kevin but there is no reason to be so agressive in making a point. It's disrespective to your colleages to not let one finish making their point and comming up with more and more silly arguments loosing your credibility. I love a good rant but here it was uncomfertable."

Disrespective isn't a word by the way.

The correct word would be disrespectful.

See? I can't help being who I am.
Not only that but "coming" is misspelled as is "losing" and "uncomfortable".
So much for that person's credibility.

I started out really a bit upset over the fees and changes Disney is making. Then started to listen to the conversation and will say I think as far as the extra magic hours and some of the other changes I do not have to pay them and can just make the decision to avoid the cost.

Not to give another growing up poor backstory here but I never had been on any vacation growing up until I was 13 and we went to Disney. Really we took a tour of Florida but Disney was the main attraction for me. Kennedy space center was cool and I remember Daytona beach but wow Disney was the best place I ever been and yes I did say never went on vacation. It was ten years later before I ever went back. Why wait? Did not have the money, was going to school, life happened. Then I met a great girl and we stayed at a friends place in Florida and went to Disney. I was hooked for sure but it was again years before going back again. Now I have a family and we go yearly somethings two and three times.

In the end here I did not have the money to go. Simple answer and after listening to the podcast I ended up in the camp of Kevin and John. If you can not afford it then you don't do it. And Pete is right, cause you don't hear that much. It's a business. If you don't spend the money Disney will see that and make other changes. The resorts are full and the parks crowed. They can rise the price and make a profit. If it gets to high and people stop going then the price will level off. Disney will get the message. And in the end if your upset and can not go look at other options for the family. You may just find another great Disney like destination that your family will love just as much. And most important in the end is it not just being with your family and enjoying each other with your children and grandchildren more important then where your at?

While I do value everyone's opinion, I did wish that when the debate became intense that Kathy and Teresa and Steve were given a moment to respond back. It was a little uncomfortable for a few minutes.

And the ticket books aren't the only example of this.

When DisneyQuest first opened, it was pay-as-you-go. You got a debit-type card and could add as much or as little value to it as you wanted. There was no fee to get in and you only paid for the games you played. We loved that and went a few times. Then they changed to the flat price, all inclusive model. That didn't work for us so we have never been back. We voted with our actions. It didn't change anything but had enough people not come in due to that, I'm sure it would have.

The other option is the company decides not to enhance/modify that experience and lets that attraction age and devour itself. I definitely agree that the DisneyQuest pay-to-play system was much more sustainable for society. I would not have ever stepped foot into the building, paying $45/day, if I didn't have an extra entry on my Water Park & More add-on.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter