Advice - Try and Use the Insurance or Go Ahead and Cruise?

3 Hobbits 2 Disney

Working Our Way Home
Hi folks. DH and I have a cruise on Nov 2 in concierge. Unfortunately I ruptured my quadriceps in July and had surgery July 10. FF and the cruise is 6 weeks away and I’m just transitioning to a cane. My walking stamina is poor because of recovery and sitting is still a challenge without something to elevate my leg on. Water and beach are probably out of the question.
I purchased the Cancel for Any Reason Insurance through DCL, which was paid in full May. The accident was on June 30.
Two questions: 1. has anyone used the cancel insurance for a medical reason for a 100% credit ? 2. If your initial claim was denied, what was your experience with using the 75% benefit?
Thanks in advance.

I filed a claim with insurance booked through DCL in 2011. It was a different company, but should be similar now. Because my doctor advised me not to travel due to a condition that developed after I paid in full, I was able to get a full refund of the cruise fare.

In your case, if your doctor advises you not to travel, you should be able to get a refund through the insurance plan. If you are able to travel but choose not to, you might be denied and need to use the feature to apply 75% of the cancellation fees to a new cruise. The new cruise would need to be within a year — I am not sure if that is from the date you file a claim or the date of your existing cruise.

Sounds like a bonafide medical reason to cancel. Your doctor will have to send something in, so if s/he will concur that you shouldn’t go, I can’t see there being a problem.

Heal up!

You meet the criteria for a medical cancel and will get a full refund. It takes time. I think it took us about 8 weeks to get our refund, but it eventually came. It helped with the medical bills that were rolling in.

Since you are asking if you should still cruise, that's very personal. You may wait until the week before to decide if you can cruise like that. My husband had a shoulder surgery about 3 weeks before our last cruise and it was fine. During dining, we were seated with someone who had a back issue that made it difficult for him to sit through the meal. The dining staff were aware and brought him a special chair to sit in and something to put his leg up on.

It's going to boil down to can you be comfortable on the ship. If you have to rest a lot, you can do that on the ship as same as at home, except if you need special furniture/bedding, etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter