Advice Needed-Getting Laid off

but saw this thread and had to chime in.

Unemployment sucks, doesn't it? I was told I was being laid off from my weekday job back in September. October tenth was my last day.

Unfortunately, my weekend job has dried up as well. I have only worked about three days on the weekend since September.

So I went from working seven days a week to effectively no days a week.

All the advice given already is advice I should follow too; my sleep schedule is all messed up, I haven't been looking as actively as I should, and so forth.

I guess it's a sign of the times. When I drive back down to Fort Lauderdale of Friday, I will start doing all the stuff I should be doing that you are probably already doing.

Silver lining: my mom is taking advantage of my "time off" to help her on this trip up to the World. I am writing this from my room at Port Orleans French Quarter, waiting for her to get ready so we can have a Disney Day. (I already went and brought back beignets for us!)

Hope you are enjoying your silver lining.

EJKorvette

I would love to take advantage of my "time off" in WDW. Call me jealous!!!;)

Unfortunately, I had to remove my countdown ticker last night. :sad1: We decided this weekend that, financially, it's best that we have to cancel our plans to vacation at WDW with friends in January. It's either go to WDW or renew or DL PAPs for 2009 - about equal costs for tickets and some food. I think my girls would be "devastated" (as much as a 3 yr old drama queen gets that way) about losing the APs, as we are there every couple weekends for a quick day out. Thank goodness we're DVC members (and still have some frequent flyer miles) and a WDW vacation is always somewhere in the cards. It still stinks though.

I found the podcast after about 2-3 months and then later joined the boards . They were such a blessing. I screwed up my sleep schedule catching up to the community, but I feel it's been beneficial in the end! You guys are phenomenal!

Here are some tips I have taken until I know if I am in or out. (Said with a Project Runway inflection)

· Reduce any 401K or stock purchases to you can get the most cash in you last checks.
· If you really need the cash change you W2 to 99 dependants. This is not something I have done, but I know some people are doing this now to get the cash in their checks
· Work hard to fill the time until it happens.
· Be sure to take personal contacts and other information you need home so you can contact you references.
· Leave with dignity and grace. No matter how or when it happens be ready to leave on a good note. You never know where you may riun into someone form this job.
· If you are a professional spend some time using a contact like Linked in to get as many contacts for your new job search
· Write down the questions now that you want to ask at your exit session. .How long do you get benefits, what happens to 401K, do they offer help in finding a new job?

Above all just take it one day at a time. There are flows of emotions, just work through day, and lean on the people on these boards, THEY ARE AMAZING

Don

Don's advice is really good. I got laid off September 18 (3 days after returning from WDW). My first response was "their loss." Then I cried off and on the next few days. By Sunday, I had to pick myself up by my slingbacks and get to work finding a job. I've worked with recruiters and applied for jobs online but all of my interviews have come from people I know passing my resume along. Network, network, network.

Angela, it's really crummy to hear that nepotism (spelling?) is affecting your job as well. Hang in there. Knowing that things will get better doesn't make it easier handling the stress/anger/disappointment/morale issues now. Best of luck to you and your family. :hug:

BTW, I love your idea about a Pink Slip podcast cruise chance. Sign me up!

So it happened today. They finally made it official. I am unemployed. I'm also a little hung over, but thats another story! I'm glad its finally over and they got on with it and told me. Of course, I may change my tune in the morning.

Angela:

Just found your post. Sorry to hear today was the day. Hopefully you've already done some of the legwork suggested earlier. If you really need to work ASAP I would suggest possibly checking into retailers like Walmart and Target. They always seem to be looking for holiday help. That would give you a little more money coming in, and would give you time to work on your resume and contacts. Hopefully the new year will bring you a new job and a new start! Hang in there!

sorry to hear that it was true...and right before the holidays, pretty nasty...

target/walmart is a good suggestion...

and you could try temp agencies in your area...

i hope things work out for you quickly...

I'm not supposed to know yet, but I know that I am slated to be laid off by the end of the year--it could be any day now. My subordinate who is my boss' kid, is taking over my job (again I'm not supposed to know this yet, but I do) I'm kinda getting a raw deal here, but it is what it is.

Any advice on how to handle this with some grace? :confused: I'm tryin' to be a Tigger here, and not an Eeyore, but its tough. I GET that I am certainly not the only one going through this, indeed, several people in my office are in trouble, but the way its being handled it just not nice and I'm pretty frustrated. :mad:

On the other hand, I now know why I didn't have any trouble getting my request for vacation time in January approved!

I think many of us has been there (i have).

Things usually work out for the better although it may not seem that way.

Hang in there

NWOhioAngela - Im so sorry to hear about your lay off. We have been through it several times in our household and I know its not easy. Im sure you will be able to find something soon - Give it the disney vacation planning spitrit! Im happy your layoff came before the holidays - now you will have some time to relax / recoup - then hit the job market all guns blazing in the new year.

I also work for a small family company - the threat of layoff is always hanging over me. Things happen like we run out of money, the american express card gets turned off, the boss comes back from lunch 3 hours after he left - its not always the best environment to work in. Im sure you will see this as a positive moving forward.

The only thing I have going for me if Im suddenly laid off - is my alter ego - Which allows me to make food money blowing up balloon animals on the street. Dont think I haven't done it before - you do what you have to do.

Best of luck to you moving forward - Whip

Thanks guys. I didn't want to stir up a pity party again, I just wanted to up date you all! I behaved myself really well at the exit meeting, and I'm proud of myself on that one. Saying good bye to everybody was hard. People were shocked and some cried for/with me. The one thing I can really take with me is that I did good work and I was good to people there (okay thats 2 things!) That's getting me through the tough spot today anyway.

I'm certainly just one of many going through this stuff now. We're all in the same boat.

Speaking of boat, I am officially renewing my request for a special prizematron "Pinkslips for a PodcastCruise" drawing! :worship:

So it happened today. They finally made it official. I am unemployed. I'm also a little hung over, but thats another story! I'm glad its finally over and they got on with it and told me. Of course, I may change my tune in the morning.

The best advice I can give for you is to keep your head up and stay positive. You mentioned that you didn't like the job any longer and someday will look at this as a blessing. You are so correct.

4 years ago I was downsized by a huge company after 13 years there. I rebounded, now own my own business and have rebounded nicely. I also like you did not like my job anymore and looked at it as a blessing.

However, now my wife is now going through the same thing with worries about her job. She has been at Clevelands largest bank(the one on the news so much). Our wonderful elected officials decided to use the "BAILOUT" money for private enterprises to buy other private enterprises and give the money to a Pittsburgh based bank(Starts with P) instead of using the money to clean up bad loans. This will surely eliminate over 5,000 jobs here in N.E. Ohio. She's been there 21 years and is the only job she has ever known. However, we'll stay positive and begin searching for the new window of opportunity.

However, now my wife is now going through the same thing with worries about her job. She has been at Clevelands largest bank(the one on the news so much). Our wonderful elected officials decided to use the "BAILOUT" money for private enterprises to buy other private enterprises and give the money to a Pittsburgh based bank(Starts with P) instead of using the money to clean up bad loans. This will surely eliminate over 5,000 jobs here in N.E. Ohio. She's been there 21 years and is the only job she has ever known. However, we'll stay positive and begin searching for the new window of opportunity.

We have a connection! Your wife's bank refused to refi my company's big loan and they're about to default on it. It really is a small world after all! :)

Hi Angela,

I just wanted to tell you good luck on the next chapter! I got laid off a month ago and was scared to death. I seemed to have lucked out with a temping job while still putting applications out there. I too was great doing the exit interview but once I saw my co-workers and had to clean out my desk I cried. Lots of pixie dust headed your way.

Becky

Just wanted to lend my support:hug: ....Seems a lot of us are going through this right now:sad2: Including me:mad: We just have to stay positive!

We have a connection! Your wife's bank refused to refi my company's big loan and they're about to default on it. It really is a small world after all! :)

You mean my wife's employer. She sold her shares a couple of years ago and has no ownership;)

Fortunately we have a more positive connection, we both love WDW. :)

Hugs to all of you going through this right now...I hope you all end up with something bigger and better than what you had to leave behind. :hug:

Hey Angela - make sure you file for unemployment benefits right away. Remember, that's your money that you have paid in through your taxes in your paycheck. You deserve getting it back before others do.

Hang in there girl. It took me 11 months to find a new job and I start it next month.

I just noticed on your ticker - we were actually going to be at OKW during the same week you are, but had to cancel - don't want anything to interfere with starting this job. We'll be at DL right before Christmas, instead (since we only have to pay for food and tips there - love my AP).

Take care and chin up!!! Enjoy your time off.

Hey Angela - make sure you file for unemployment benefits right away. Remember, that's your money that you have paid in through your taxes in your paycheck. You deserve getting it back before others do.

Hang in there girl. It took me 11 months to find a new job and I start it next month.

I just noticed on your ticker - we were actually going to be at OKW during the same week you are, but had to cancel - don't want anything to interfere with starting this job. We'll be at DL right before Christmas, instead (since we only have to pay for food and tips there - love my AP).

Take care and chin up!!! Enjoy your time off.

Already applied! You can do it online 24/7 in Ohio. My insurance is good through 12/31, so we're all going to the doc, etc..

Can we all steal your "pixie dust" line for our cover letters too? Hey, it worked for you! :goodvibes

You totally can!!!!! I was just so happy that it finally worked!

Warning though - it didn't work for my 27 Disney Company career applications! :rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter