Active shooting situation in El Paso mall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kudos to Bush for not being afraid to call it what it is.
I would think White Supremacist Terrorism would be a much better way to phrase it, rather than White Terrorism. That seems to paint an entire race as terrorists, and would be no better than saying “Black Terrorists.”

This country is a mess right now, because both sides call each other names, categorize each other, yet fail to listen and try to understand that someone can believe differently than you and not be the devil.

You can believe in enforcing immigration laws and still believe yesterday’s shooting was a heinous and unforgivable act. I do think social media plays a huge part in this.

Mass shootings are a relatively recent development in a country with generous gun rights. To many people today, being famous is the be all and end all. Throw in some serious emotional issues (because I don’t think emotionally healthy people do this) , access to a gun/ability to kill with a vehicle/knowing how to make a bomb, and mix that with someone who KNOWS their actions will have the entire world talking about them, and you have a recipe for disaster. The only aspect of that which I has changed over the past few decades is social media and the desire for fame at all costs.

Personally, I do not get the craving for fame/infamy, but that is what our society rewards today.

Yup. Carnage happens. Let's not even try. Every town should just lay in a supply of body bags and hope for the best, I guess. And, do we REALLY want to compare ourselves to Afghanistan?

What's wrong with comparing to Afghanistan? People got murdered there, people get murdered here. Happens all too often, and yes it's very sad for the victims and their families. Nothing can be done about it though, so not worth worrying about. That's what the meh is about ... that it's not really worth worrying over since there's nothing any of us can do. Not meh as in a lack of compassion for those affected.

I would think White Supremacist Terrorism would be a much better way to phrase it, rather than White Terrorism. That seems to paint an entire race as terrorists, and would be no better than saying “Black Terrorists.”
thats a fair point.

Mass shootings are a relatively recent development in a country with generous gun rights.
Yes, but it’s only been a relatively recent development that weapons that facilitate mass shootings (35 dead and wounded this morning in less than a minute) have become legal and available to your average person.

What's wrong with comparing to Afghanistan? People got murdered there, people get murdered here. Happens all too often, and yes it's very sad for the victims and their families. Nothing can be done about it though, so not worth worrying about. That's what the meh is about ... that it's not really worth worrying over since there's nothing any of us can do. Not meh as in a lack of compassion for those affected.

I’m going to kick myself for feeding the troll..

Yes, there IS actually something you can do.

Canada says hey

Wish you were right. I really do. We've had this conversation before.
Right, I remember now. We’ll leave it at that then.

Ya know, this made me realize that my position on this is a little contrary to my position in the balloons at Disney thread ... where I believe small environmental actions are meaningful even if there are still bigger problems to solve. Not logical to take the stance that small actions are meaningful on one issue and not on another. So maybe there is something small I can find here to do here. I will think about it. Sorry to anyone I irritated by my comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter