ABD with Teens and Tweens

I was concerned too about my kids, so this thread is good information.
I apologize for my web forum ignorance, but I've seen mention of "DD 14, DS 12, DD 7, DH...etc." What do the letters DD, DS, DH mean? Thanks.

DD = dear daughter, DS is dear son, DH is dear husband, the first D is dear the second letter usually denotes relationship of person to you, the poster.
No need to apologize ... we were all new and clueless to this at one time or another. ;)

I was concerned too about my kids, so this thread is good information.
I apologize for my web forum ignorance, but I've seen mention of "DD 14, DS 12, DD 7, DH...etc." What do the letters DD, DS, DH mean? Thanks.

You should have seen me trying to figure out the "codes" for all the rides and attractions on the other forums!!! It's like a game and I always feel good when I figure one out that has me stumped!!! :lmao:

We have a 15 yr old and an 8--and have been on three ABD trips so far; we have managed to get adjoining rooms each time, which has worked out great. Our 15 yr old DS has gone back and forth on hanging with the adults vs the kids--depends on the age of the other kids in the group, mostly! (two of the three times he went in with his younger sister to watch the movie--and my DW and I take advantage of the quient dinner time and perhaps a walk around the city near the hotel).

As to the "D"--I was assuming it meant "Disney Son" "Disney Daughter" etc! If not, guess my Mickey Ears are red!

Finally...Abbyjt: we are going on the Germany trip this Christmas (apparently the first time this trip is offered over the holidays). Any trip tips--and also, did you do an add on at the beginning or end? (We are thinking of a trian trip from Munich to Salzburg at the end of the trip). (And--assuming it will be winter cold and maybe snow, were there activities you did that may not be possible in the winter climate?) thanks!

Great--thanks for the "D" info--now I can decipher what people are talking about:cool1:!

And has anyone experienced situations where travelers didn't get along, either with kids with kids, or kids with adults, or adults with adults? Being that a group of diverse individuals are together for several days, is that a point of concern?

Finally...Abbyjt: we are going on the Germany trip this Christmas (apparently the first time this trip is offered over the holidays). Any trip tips--and also, did you do an add on at the beginning or end? (We are thinking of a trian trip from Munich to Salzburg at the end of the trip). (And--assuming it will be winter cold and maybe snow, were there activities you did that may not be possible in the winter climate?) thanks![/QUOTE]

We did go a day early to Heidelberg. That was really great. A day to get over the jet lag.
The trip out to Neuschwanstein Castle might be really cold in the winter. It was kind of cold in the summer. I also don't know if they will substitute something for the bike riding and archery day if the weather doesn't cooperate. That was really a fun day.
Definitely add on some time in Munich at the end. We didn't and I felt we didn't have enough time there. I have never been to Salzburg, but if you have the time and you are already there, you might as well go. We didn't have the extra time.

I will definitely keep checking this thread.... My DD (will be 17 on trip) & I are planning an ABD for next June as a graduation present & probably last major trip before she goes off to college.

We chose Ireland ~ can't really say why but soo looking forward to hearing all about it from others.

[The trip out to Neuschwanstein Castle might be really cold in the winter. It was kind of cold in the summer. [/QUOTE]

Neuschwanstein Castle IS really cold in the winter! We went there in early March several years ago and it was 17 degrees F. :scared1: Still, it was in full tourist mode, and the woods were gorgeous all covered in snow and ice. I don't know how you get there on the ABD. We rode in a horse-drawn sleigh from the village and back, and were given hot chocolate while we rode.

thank you Kristilew and Abbyit--since this will be the first Christmas trip for the Germany ABD, it'll be interesting and fun to see what they do to accommodate the weather. I like the idea of a sleigh ride!

We went on our first ABD last summer, Southwest Splendors. Our DDs were 12 and 10, and we had two rooms which connected, which made for terrific space for all of us. If they hadn't been connecting, we would have used both rooms during the day and slept in the same room (the girls' room always had 2 beds) at night. The age range of the kids on the trip went from 7-16, equally divided between boys and girls. I know this sounds hard to believe, but although they started out hanging only with their sex and age group, by day 3 or 4, they all were together at the back of the bus every single bus ride, and together at meals too, regardless of age or sex. It was great to watch them all fooling around in the pool together. It even worked on Junior Adventure night, although don't ask me how. The kids just get very relaxed and happy, as do the grown-ups (probably some cause and effect there), and the age differences just don't seem to matter. We're going to Peru this August, and I'll be very interested to see if the same thing happens.

My DS15 is actually dreading the thought of spending time with others who he doesn't know. He is very shy and an introvert, so to put himself out there for complete strangers is waaaay out of his comfort zone (this is the kid who would never set foot in a Disney Cruise kids club either!!!). Should be interesting on our trip, but I assured him he could stay with me the whole time...maybe enough time with me and he'll be begging for some others to hang with!!!;)

since the ABD trip groups are small, you get to know each other quickly. its not like a cruise where there are so many ppl and you can get lost in the crowd. the kids who have siblings tend to stay together in that comfort zone but only children seek out other only children. even the shy ones become part of the group. im sure your son will be just fine.

We went on our first ABD last summer, Southwest Splendors. Our DDs were 12 and 10, and we had two rooms which connected, which made for terrific space for all of us. If they hadn't been connecting, we would have used both rooms during the day and slept in the same room (the girls' room always had 2 beds) at night. The age range of the kids on the trip went from 7-16, equally divided between boys and girls. I know this sounds hard to believe, but although they started out hanging only with their sex and age group, by day 3 or 4, they all were together at the back of the bus every single bus ride, and together at meals too, regardless of age or sex. It was great to watch them all fooling around in the pool together. It even worked on Junior Adventure night, although don't ask me how. The kids just get very relaxed and happy, as do the grown-ups (probably some cause and effect there), and the age differences just don't seem to matter. We're going to Peru this August, and I'll be very interested to see if the same thing happens.

i am a DD15 and i have been on two ABD trips and will be going on the Ireland one this summer. the first one i went on the same thing happened. everyone came together and age/sex was not an issue. the second i went on there were clear dividing lines between the kids. one group was part of a family reunion trip and they kept to themselves. the 2nd group was the younger kids who got along great together and the last was my friends and me. there were 4 of us total and our ages ranged between 14-18 but it didnt make a difference to us. it all depends on the group of kids. but they are always nice and easy-going kids

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter