ABD with Teens and Tweens

kathyfranklin

Mouseketeer
We want to take our teens and tweens on vacation to another country and would really appreciate any input from anyone who has used ABD with teens and tweens.

We like to travel, and we enjoy food. We really like doing things together, so my kids don't want to be sent on their own adventure away from mom & dad. Probably a few things would be good like that, but not as a matter of course.

There are 5 of us - what kind of room arrangements are typical for a family of 5?

Haven't decided on the country yet - so any input there too would be appreciated.

Thanks everyone.

Kathy
I haven't been yet -so maybe someone will chip in with some experience.

I am taking my 14 and 11 y.o. DDs to Ireland with ABD in June
My understanding is that most of the time we will be one big group with a few exceptions.

We are getting two double rooms. With ABD you pay per person -not per room so we got two. My husband and DD are tall and the idea of sharing beds every night was uncomfortable.

One reason we decided to go was the realization that we only had a few summers left with elder DD before college -so we wanted to travel while we could.

Ireland was one of the lesser expensive Europe trips, We had never been and it seemed a good mix of active and history. Also the trip has been there for a while without major changes-so it must be popular as is.

I hope this helps.

We took a 14 yr old boy and an almost 16 yr old girl to Costa Rica a month ago and we all had a great time.2 rooms so we had our space.My kids were the oldest and didnt really mingle too much with the other kids,but it wasnt a problem at all.Most of our stuff was in a group.My kids are always running around with their friends and stuff so we ALL agreed that one of the coolest things about our trip was the "family" aspect of it.Disney plans a great trip.Also we trusted our kids with pool time,and some freedom to have some of their own time.Like the previous post stated"it wont be long and theyll be off on their own!"I hope!Really it was awesome and I do think it would matter what trip ya went on too.My kids got a kick out of trying 18 differant foods they had never tried,and while weve went on a bunch of vacations together;it was the first time outta the country for them.One other thing that was extremely cool to me.....all laptops and phones were left AT HOME.

We are doing China with a 15 and a 17. We have 2 double rooms booked... they are supposed to be adjoining if possible, but no guarantees.

One of the best things about this trip for my son is the food (scorpions... sea horse... centipedes)... another is the awesome wicked cool pictures of toilets they intend to take while we are there...

This will be our first real trip WAY out of the country, but we are planning on it being memorable for both kids.

We took a 14 yr old boy and an almost 16 yr old girl to Costa Rica a month ago and we all had a great time.2 rooms so we had our space.My kids were the oldest and didnt really mingle too much with the other kids,but it wasnt a problem at all.Most of our stuff was in a group.My kids are always running around with their friends and stuff so we ALL agreed that one of the coolest things about our trip was the "family" aspect of it.Disney plans a great trip.Also we trusted our kids with pool time,and some freedom to have some of their own time.Like the previous post stated"it wont be long and theyll be off on their own!"I hope!Really it was awesome and I do think it would matter what trip ya went on too.My kids got a kick out of trying 18 differant foods they had never tried,and while weve went on a bunch of vacations together;it was the first time outta the country for them.One other thing that was extremely cool to me.....all laptops and phones were left AT HOME.

Do you think there would have been more teenagers if the trip had been during the summer? I am really hoping there will be some kids my girls ages on their trip

clarabelle-I really have no idea,but we did go during springbreak.All had kids in our group except a mom and her 22yr old daughter.Our trip was full,39 people.Our kids were just older.My girl did have a 13 yr old she spent some time with.Everyone had a blast as far as I know and one of the cool things abt these trips is everyone gets pretty close cuz of all the group stuff.However Disney seems to space everything perfectly and you get plenty of time to yourself or I should say;to do with what you want.This is just my opinion,and it was my 1st ABD.I also would like to say that all kids behaved really well;cudos to em!Not 1 incident.

Kathy

One reason we decided to go was the realization that we only had a few summers left with elder DD before college -so we wanted to travel while we could.

:thumbsup2 Couldn't agree more!

Kathy

Ireland was one of the lesser expensive Europe trips, We had never been and it seemed a good mix of active and history. Also the trip has been there for a while without major changes-so it must be popular as is.

I hope this helps.

Great suggestion. Yes - it does help. Thank you.

We have two teens and they have enjoyed meeting other kids on every ABD trip taken so far. It is our feeling that the ABD experiences allow a family to enjoy both worlds (one where the family stays and plays together to themselves, the other where the family meets new families and builds many friendships through the travels of the trip).

Last year on our China trip we had two rooms in Beijing but all the other locations we shared one room (4 people). Our family enjoyed the time together whether we were in one room together or split out into two rooms.

We took a 14 yr old boy and an almost 16 yr old girl to Costa Rica a month ago and we all had a great time....and while weve went on a bunch of vacations together;it was the first time outta the country for them.

Thanks for your post - question for you about how strenuous/adventurous CR was. Was the zip line really scary? How about the rafting trip? I love the sound of this trip, and we really like animals and nature...just wondering if my kids will be too freaked out to do the adventure parts....And did you need to get any shots? Thanks so much.

My DS15 is actually dreading the thought of spending time with others who he doesn't know. He is very shy and an introvert, so to put himself out there for complete strangers is waaaay out of his comfort zone (this is the kid who would never set foot in a Disney Cruise kids club either!!!). Should be interesting on our trip, but I assured him he could stay with me the whole time...maybe enough time with me and he'll be begging for some others to hang with!!!;)

The CR rafting trip was like riding a very smooth lake. There were no rapids at all. The water levels are way down and we mainly enjoyed the views of the land and the animals along the way. Of course, there were a lot of water splashing battles between parties (using your oar to splash people). You definitely get wet but wet from the water battles.

The CR zip line was unbelievable. Our guides said that this was the first group that they have been with that the whole group went through the zip line. You have two chances to back out if you are worried about the zip line experience. They give you a chance to try two small zip line segments that are not long or high before you start the more serious legs. You can go real fast and some of the runs are long (and high above the ground) but with the safety harness, the gloves, and the helmet we felt very safe. We had a great experience zip line crew with us. Anyone not weighing enough would ride tandem with one of the zip line crew members. We had a few people that were fearful of heights but they pushed on and completed the course. The course has 8 segments which start at the top of a mountain area. Once you take the first leg after the practice run there is no turning back. It was a lot of fun!! I suggested in my review to ABD yesterday that they could substitute another zip line ride for the rafting experience.

Dear SLK1,

I understand your son's feelings but please let him know that no one (including Disney) pushes any of the kids to join in or interact with other kids. We have one shy daughter and the other daughter is very outgoing. The shy daughter hangs around with us alot and we do not push her to interact with other kids. It has been our experience that kids work out the interactions among themselves and if they enjoy their families and the travels that usually is enough. Interesting enough are the times that around the 3rd day of our ABD trips, the shy daughter is talking with other kids and other adults on the trips. Good luck with helping to ease your son's concerns.

The CR rafting trip was like riding a very smooth lake. There were no rapids at all. The water levels are way down and we mainly enjoyed the views of the land and the animals along the way. Of course, there were a lot of water splashing battles between parties (using your oar to splash people). You definitely get wet but wet from the water battles.

The CR zip line was unbelievable. Our guides said that this was the first group that they have been with that the whole group went through the zip line. You have two chances to back out if you are worried about the zip line experience. They give you a chance to try two small zip line segments that are not long or high before you start the more serious legs. You can go real fast and some of the runs are long (and high above the ground) but with the safety harness, the gloves, and the helmet we felt very safe. We had a great experience zip line crew with us. Anyone not weighing enough would ride tandem with one of the zip line crew members. We had a few people that were fearful of heights but they pushed on and completed the course. The course has 8 segments which start at the top of a mountain area. Once you take the first leg after the practice run there is no turning back. It was a lot of fun!! I suggested in my review to ABD yesterday that they could substitute another zip line ride for the rafting experience.

Great review thanks!

Ok don't laugh...but I am pretty uncomfortable with heights, I was even apprehensive about trying Soarin...but I did enjoy it. Sometimes when I get in a really high building outside or with windows I have to stand still before I can move around!.....But I loved riding in a helicopter.....so, I know I would enjoy the views, and what an experience on the zip line.....so I'd like to do the zip line. Were the people who were afraid of heights that were able to push on like me? :goodvibes

Yes, they were! We had a few adults and kids that looked very worried but somehow with the encouragement of people in our group and their own will to do it one time, each one made it. We did a "who can scream the loudest" contest and "who overcame their fears the most" contest. Our guides gave special prizes to the winners. One couple included a grandfather and grandmother. How about that? We had quite a few that reach high speeds through the course but again the experience zip line crew members were the best. They really entertained and helped many in our group.

I have a question for those of you who have done the tours with older kids.
On the movie night -I can't picture my 14 y.o. watching the movie with the little kids. What do they do then?
Do the teenagers go in with the adults or kids?

Thanks

clarabelle-I really have no idea,but we did go during springbreak.All had kids in our group except a mom and her 22yr old daughter.Our trip was full,39 people.Our kids were just older.My girl did have a 13 yr old she spent some time with.Everyone had a blast as far as I know and one of the cool things abt these trips is everyone gets pretty close cuz of all the group stuff.However Disney seems to space everything perfectly and you get plenty of time to yourself or I should say;to do with what you want.This is just my opinion,and it was my 1st ABD.I also would like to say that all kids behaved really well;cudos to em!Not 1 incident.

Thanks Hoffman!
I like the idea of the group being supportive of each other

Our kids stayed with us on junior adventure night. We treasured the extra family time together at dinner that night. The junior adventure night is always optional.

We did Australia over the summer with our 3 kids, DD 14, DS 12 and DD 7.

We had a great time!! We got 2 rooms, and we decided not to get connecting rooms, because I figured my kids could call or come next door, so we left the connecting rooms for people with younger kids.

My oldest daughter is much more quiet than the other two and she stayed with us most of the time. My son and younger daughter went right into the crowd of kids.

ABD was fine with my older daughter staying with us, and they never forced anything.

This is definately NOT the type of vacation where parents go one place and kids go another. My family had a lot of bonding time and we loved this trip! All three kids want to go on another trip!

Hi Kathy,
We have been on 3 ABD's. We are also a family of 5. Kids ages 10,12 and
15. We have always gotten 2 rooms. The rooms were never more than one or two doors apart (or a phone call away). On each trip we have been on there has been a range of ages with the kids (all summer trips). All the kids seem to gel instantly. By the second day they are sitting in the back of the bus together. My kids still email the kids from the past trips.
On the england/paris trip we were separated more than any of the other adventures. The adults got a more in depth tour of places like Westminster Abbey or Notre Dame, while the kids got a different more kid friendly tour. Teens can choose which tour to go with.
Even at 14 my daughter liked the movie night. We have also done the Southern Spain (no longer offered) and the Germany trip. I highly recommend the Germany trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter