ABCs of a Nursing School Grad Trip + FL Keys Mini Report;D is for: Dang! Last Chapter of this TR...

Hmm, I hadn't thought of that aspect of the holiday. I suppose that would put a bit of a damper on things I guess.

Yes, reconciliation with Indigenous Canadians has been a hot political topic as of late, and it has [I believe, rightly] come up a lot in the Canada Day discussion this year!

What do Canadians do for a celebration like this? Fireworks? Parades? Special foods?

Yes, yes, and yes! I think in many ways the celebrations are similar to 4th of July (we live on the border, so we've experienced a little of both,) but of course with different patriotic loyalties. :) Had we not been rained out, we would have had our choice of 3-4 fireworks shows within 30 minutes of home. There were free concerts at a couple locations in the city. And since we live in a pretty temperate climate and only get so many weeks of beautiful summer weather a year, Canada Day is typically a big "patio" day. The restaurants and bars have their patios open and people hop from one to the next, drink, and are generally quite merry...all while wearing various clothing items in red and white. Some people celebrate with stereotypically Canadian foods, like poutine, hodge podge, maple this-and-that, and the like, but most party foods and drinks are acceptable. There are usually community events for kids (e.g. last year I worked at a community day with bouncy castles, barbecues, characters, face paintings, etc.) I celebrated this year by working for the diner I sing at for a free pancake breakfast in the rain, by doing a princess birthday party in the afternoon, and then by hitting a "ribfest" in the evening for a selection of BBQ'd meats and lemonade, etc.

Today was a pretty normal day getting unpacked and my laundry done until this happened:

a4ad0bc5-54fb-43eb-a5a1-34603d021ecc-large16x9_carsonfire.jpg

My son-in-law was the driver of the car on its side and was pulled from it just before it ignited and burned.

Both of his legs were broken, he has a cracked vertebra, and will have surgery tomorrow.

Please, PLEASE drive safely on this holiday weekend! The other driver ran his stop sign and T-boned him. :(

Wow
I was going to wish you a happy fourth of July holiday watching the fire works from the bridge.Then went to the next page and clocked the photo of your Son in Laws car.What a mess you just never know what is around the corner.At least he was pulled out before the flames started that alone was a god send.I know it is no excuse for running a stop sign but the other driver may have not known the road if he was a tourist.Hopefully his surgery will go well and he won't have to spend a too long time in the hospital.My thoughts are with you at this time.

At first I thought you were throwing it in like exploding helicopters. Then, I realized you were serious. Yikes! Hoping for a speedy recovery for your SIL.

Today was a pretty normal day getting unpacked and my laundry done until this happened:

My son-in-law was the driver of the car on its side and was pulled from it just before it ignited and burned.

Both of his legs were broken, he has a cracked vertebra, and will have surgery tomorrow.

Please, PLEASE drive safely on this holiday weekend! The other driver ran his stop sign and T-boned him. :(

Wow!! I'm so sorry to hear about your son-in-law's accident! But thank God he was pulled from the car, and that he wasn't even more seriously hurt! I will be praying for him and his surgery today, that God gives him peace and speedy healing. You never expect these kinds of things to happen. Wow.

Oh my goodness Liesa!
This deserves an immediate response! I'm so sorry about your son-in-law's accident. That photo is a scary site. I though the photo was going to be one of those Steppesister moments when she happened to drive by an accident. Then I read who was involved! So glad that he got out! Hope his surgery goes well and the recovery process can then begin. Please keep us posted. Sending good thought and prayers to everyone!

FYI, since you asked. I have no idea if we will do much today. It's feels like a Sunday because I am off. Just relaxing since work is crazy this week with a lot of people on vacation.
I think I "liked" you grandma news or maybe commented. Anyways I will congratulate you again. When is the due date? Will they find out the sex? I always wanted to be surprised but a lot I know lately find out.
It's seems to be the year of boys. A co-worker had a grandson a month ago.
A co-worker (we haven't had a pregnancy at work for 12 years) is expecting in Sept.
*Quick story on gender reveal she had. HUGE Harry Potter couple. They did a private moment opening the envelope with a photographer so they knew the sex. At a party they had a cauldron and each with wands, had a puff of blue smoke burst and then all the family knew they had a boy on the way!
And actually today (July 4th) is my niece's due date. So hopefully we may hear news soon. My BIL & SIL are in your shoes. They live in WI and my niece lives in NC and this will be her first child (they have 3 grandchildren in WI from their son)
She is having a boy too. They of coursed hope he would be here soon, they leave on the 6th to be with them for a few days.

Thanks again for this TR. Even those I still don't post a lot (and they when I do, I get...chatty chatty) know that I am enjoying it. Your pictures are unique and beautiful. It makes me smile and reminds me of our time there. Can you believe that was about 9 months ago?
Take Care!!

Thanks Guys. We're gonna head up to OHSU soon, as Bek is asking for clean clothes and other stuff. He is headed to the OR now....

I woke up hoping to find some fun and such, instead I read this. Prayers for your SiL! That picture is just horrific. I am so sorry that anyone had to go through that, but even more so that it is someone close to you!

Do they live nearby or is this the new SiL? I have trouble keeping track of your large family. I'm keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

Thanks Guys. We're gonna head up to OHSU soon, as Bek is asking for clean clothes and other stuff. He is headed to the OR now....

Oh My!!!!! Prayers for everyone and hoping for a a full recovery. Safe travels. :flower3::flower3:

Surgery went well; he has full length rods-one in the R femur, another in the L tibia. Estimates are he'll be in hospital for about 4 days. The first responder called my daughter who pulled him out of he car that was already on fire. Bek was able to thank him for saving his life. Pretty cool story....

Surgery went well; he has full length rods-one in the R femur, another in the L tibia.

Glad to hear this! Due to Fran's past injuries, I even know what those bones are.

Estimates are he'll be in hospital for about 4 days.

When he leaves, does he get to go home or are they going to send him to a SNF?

The first responder called my daughter who pulled him out of he car that was already on fire. Bek was able to thank him for saving his life. Pretty cool story....

How nice of him to do that, but what I'm more amazed is that they got there so quickly as to be able to pull him out before the car completely went up in flames. I just figured it was bystanders like in the plane wreck that happened a few days ago on the 405 in Santa Ana.

So glad to hear surgery went well. He does have along road ahead for sure but hopefully his youth will make things a bit better.
How nice of the first responder to call. So very glad he was there and could pull him out.

I do not have the time for that! Between my busy schedule, huge DVR commitments, the DIS, and my day trips to DL, I'm lucky to sleep!

Sometimes when I disappear from the DIS it's because I have my nose stuck in a book. I love to read. I joined a local book club and have really enjoyed sharing and reading and eating (we have a meal at our meetings).

That's why I'm thankful for a 45 minute each way drive...and audible! Right now I'm listening to the Outlandish Companions. Diana actually reads a lot of it, not the Synopsis for the books, but all the other trivia stuff.

I got both Outlandish Companions for Christmas but haven't made much progress in them.

OMG! I'm so sorry for your son-in-law and daughter. Thankful he made it out alive. I hope he has a full and complete recovery.

Surgery went well; he has full length rods-one in the R femur, another in the L tibia. Estimates are he'll be in hospital for about 4 days. The first responder called my daughter who pulled him out of he car that was already on fire. Bek was able to thank him for saving his life. Pretty cool story....

Good news. So thankful for all responders especially for those that came to your son-in-laws accident.

We didn't do much of anything today. I have company Friday night. My niece, her husband and daughter stopped in on their way to the beach. The left Saturday around 12:30. Late Saturday afternoon we had DH's sister and her 2 kids come in from Arkansas. Sunday we all spent the day at the local water park. Monday I had to work but DH took our guest with our 2 daughters to "The Myrtles" http://myrtlesplantation.com/index.php for a visit. All our company left this morning so now I'm catching up before heading back to work tomorrow.

Happy 4th of July to you and your family.

S is for Seedy Dealings

Have you ever done something that was so fun, you just had to share it with others? You’re in the middle of it and say to yourself, “I sure wish so and so was here, I really think they’d love doing/seeing/experiencing this!”

In 2010, during the solo part of my trip, I splurged on a tour that I’d been wanting to do for a while- The Behind the Seeds Tour. I realize this may sound dry and too “educational” for some, and I also know that botany isn’t everyone’s thang, but with their usual panache, Disney takes an otherwise possibly mundane subject and makes it fun for everyone, including the oftentimes cynical teenage census. Every “tour guide” for this 2-hour tour (so much better than the 3 hour variety!) is doing in internship with Disney’s horticulture program, and are still passionate about their field. (Takes time to become jaundiced and dread Monday mornings, ya know….)

When I took that tour 7 years ago, I said to myself, “If I’m ever back here, I really think the kids would love this.” Not because they are particularly into plants or gardens (trust me, every Saturday I endure the endless muttering about gardening), but because the way Disney chooses to present the subject matter which is done the same way Disney does everything- with a flair that entertains and immerses. In fact, when I told them we would be doing this, my then, 14-year old asked me, “Is it going to be fun?” I retorted with a question of my own: “Have you ever done anything at Disney that wasn’t?”

Duly silenced (again, because yes, I DO use that ^^ line a lot), the 4 of us checked in next to the Soarin’ queue. This photo op nearby never gets old.

IMG_1308.jpg

IMG_1310.jpg

We got our name tags and waited until the CM came out to greet us and take us backstage. There were about 10 folks joining this tour and we started in the biological pest control room (sounds like birth control to me, but whatever). Here they are breeding various beasties to introduce to the plants to keep them healthy by eating the larvae of other species. To keep the younger guests engaged, there are dozens of hidden Mickey’s all around.

IMG_1311.jpg

Soon enough we were led to the garden areas where all the exhibits you see from Living with the Land are. All the usual suspects were there: the 9 pound lemons, the Mickey-head cucumbers, the hanging gardens with Guiness World Record tomatoes, etc… But on this tour, you get 2 hours of pretty cool explanations and even some snacks. And guess what? They’e free. (I heard your gasp of disbelief; I almost fainted from stupification as well.)

Ok, ok, they weren’t technically free since we paid for the tour, but they don’t HAVE to give out baggies of cucumbers. I think most people would still pay for the tour, munchables or not.

IMG_1313.jpg

IMG_1318.jpg

IMG_1316.jpg

IMG_1317.jpg

There were other equally interesting displays that actually intrigued my kids like a low down on alternative growing systems using a fish tank, but not hydroponics, although they demonstrated that too. But the next one was one that REALLY demanded their rapt attention.

Our guide told us to gently touch the leaves of this bush and to watch what happened. I’d grown up with this plant in California, so knew what to expect, but when it folded it’s leaves up completely in half when they stroked the length of the bipinnate leaves it was great to see the surprise on their faces.

IMG_1320.jpg

Here is a scientific description for your bathroom reading pleasure. You’re welcome.

Mimosa pudica is well known for its rapid plant movement. Like a number of other plant species, it undergoes changes in leaf orientation termed "sleep" or nyctinasticmovement. The foliage closes during darkness and reopens in light.[11] This was first studied by the French scientist Jean-Jacques d'Ortous de Mairan.

The leaflets also close when stimulated in other ways, such as touching, warming, blowing, or shaking. These types of movements have been termed seismonasticmovements. The stimulus is transmitted as an action potential from a stimulated leaflet, to the leaflet's swollen base (pulvinus), and from there to the pulvini of the other leaflets, which run along the length of the leaf's rachis. The action potential then passes into the petiole, and finally to the large pulvinus at the end of the petiole, where the leaf attaches to the stem. The action potential causes potassium ions to flow out from the vacuoles of cells in the various pulvini. This causes water to flow out from those cells by osmosis through aquaporin channels, making them lose turgor, which is the force that is applied onto the cell wall by water within the cell. Differences in turgidity in different regions of the leaf and stem results in the closing of the leaflets and the collapse of the leaf petiole.[12]

This movement of folding inwards is energetically costly for the plant and also interferes with the process of photosynthesis.[13] This characteristic is quite common within the Mimosoideae subfamily of the legume family, Fabaceae. The stimulus can also be transmitted to neighboring leaves. It is not known exactly why Mimosa pudicaevolved this trait, but many scientists think that the plant uses its ability to shrink as a defense from herbivores. Animals may be afraid of a fast moving plant and would rather eat a less active one. Another possible explanation is that the sudden movement dislodges harmful insects.[citation needed]

Wiki... gotta love it.

When we all had a turn making a leaf or 3 or 4 fold up, she approached the plant and did something so completely mind blowing, even the most too-cool-for-school couldn’t help but gasp in amazement.

5, 4, 3, 2....1!

IMG_1321.jpg

She grabbed the base of the bush and gave it a good shake- you know… the kind you want to give to the guy who cuts you off in a parking lot. Or takes a flash photo on Pirates. The WHOLE bush went from full and bushy and round, to Charlie Brown’s Christmas tree-esque. The volume change was dramatic and elicited the appropriate oohs and aaaahs.

IMG_1322.jpg

You're impressed too. I know you are.

We passed a lot of other neat stuff that I have zero idea what was now, but be assured, it was all pretty nifty.

I do know this is called a "Bitter Melon". We all guessed cucumber, wrongly.

IMG_1324.jpg

IMG_1328.jpg

IMG_1329.jpg

IMG_1331.jpg

When life gives you lemons like this: pay the ridiculous city permit fee and have your kids open a lemonade stand. (Then teach them to understand the inane policies of government and take all the earnings to pay for said permit. Watch them wail and gnash their teeth like most of us do on payday.)

IMG_1336.jpg

I’ve seen many a write up on this tour and one thing remains in common- the aquaponics and fish feeding demonstration never disappoints. Give a kid (or eager adult) a handful of fish food and suddenly it’s a party. The fish explode to the surface in a frenzy. It reminded me of a typical dinner at my house when I bring home a pizza. Some things don’t change from species to species given the right food offerings.

IMG_1340.jpg

IMG_1345.jpg

You know that "sustainable fish" you can order here and there around the World? Now you know where it comes from. Again, you're welcome.

We ended the tour with some sniffings of various tropical spices and my kids were blown away that allspice was a unique plant, not a conglomeration of spices. I think the name is a bit deceiving, so it was fun to see the lights go on when they learned that.

Lastly, we got some photos by the giant Mickey Laurel (bay leaf) which I think turned out pretty darned good, if I do say so myself. We didn’t take a ton of portrait style pix of our motley crew, so was happy to have gotten these.

IMG_1348.jpg

IMG_1349-2.jpg

We dawdled to the exit retracing our steps back through the tour route and couldn’t refrain from touching the Mimosa one last time. It took EVERYTHING in me to resist throttling the thing to watch it shrivel in terror of me. I can’t do that to the people who take 8 years to order at Starbucks, sadly.

IMG_1352.jpg

I'll leave you with a couple of artsy fartsy shots just for kicks and giggles.

IMG_1351.jpg

IMG_1353.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter