AARP any savings advantage over AAA?

crazymomof4

DIS Veteran
We already have AAA. I was offered a free luggage organizer for joining AARP. It's only $12 for the first yr but you have to sign up for auto renew. Not sure I want the hassle of remembering to cancel auto renew if it's not a great enough savings to make it worthwhile.
Any experiences with AARP membership savings other than what I already can get with AAA?
TIA

I wouldn't touch AARP with a 10-foot pole, but that's because I don't like their lobbying efforts. They make much more money selling endorsements than they do on membership dues--that tells you where their loyalties lie. If a potential law will help seniors, they'll lobby against it if it hurts, say, insurance companies. I refuse to give one red cent to a company like that.

I know that doesn't answer your question, but it's how I feel. Also, because of that, I don't feel I can trust any "information" that they put out.

I wouldn't sign up just for discounts but I do find the membership worthwhile. Their bulletin and magazine are both good reads and have a lot of useful information. We've actually said a number of times that we need to get better about paying attention to their discounts. We ate at Denny's not long ago and totally forgot to use the discount there, for example. We are not on auto-renewal though.

Not sure I want the hassle of remembering to cancel auto renew if it's not a great enough savings to make it worthwhile.

With any auto-renew if you think you are unsure if you will keep it, cancel the auto-renew right after you sign up. Basically sign up and then, sign out, and back in again to make sure the log in works. Then cancel the auto renew. Most let you right away. If you can't cancel right away put it in your phones calendar and have it alert you a week or so later to do it. Most companies will send you a bill/reminder if you are not on auto renew so if you want to renew you can.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter