A trip of Firsts - Halloween Trip Report 2013 (completed 2/2/2014)

Day 8 - Wednesday 23rd - part 4: Faith, Trust and Pixie Dust

Pirate Palooza. Still a huge line, but I want to show Jackie the pirate chipmunks.

Unfortunately this time everyone is keeping distance to the barriers. I hope no one got told off.

We leave for the Villains photostop. Unfortunately the line gets closed for the fireworks right when we get there. We spend our time getting some more candy in the cinema, then watch the villains’ entrance. I have a video of that somewhere, but need to go and dig for it. I had borrowed my sister’s camera and so wasn’t used to it.

Maleficent is in the group coming out now, so I go up to CM and ask if she can please pass on the drawing. The line is way too big already, we need to go back to Critter Country for Rabbit. I’m stunned when she tells me “Oh, I remember you. If you wait a moment you can give it to her yourself.” :O

Jackie laughs. “I so need to learn how to draw.”

On the way back to Critter Country we notice the Tremaines are out at the makeshift fourth photo stop, probably because Hades was late arriving. Line’s closed already. *curses* But the CM that spotted me giving the drawing to Drizella is working this line, spots that I have two more drawings and allows me to deliver the other drawings to Lady Tremaine and Anastasia. Can’t have the sister’s fighting overall. :D

After a very nice quick encounter the photopass guy stops me when I am about to leave.“Do you have a card?” Wait, you took pictures? :O I mean, I more or less smuggled myself in there…

Now I know where Terrence is hiding. He was busy preparing all that pixie dust I got today.

When I’m walking back to Jackie – she had been sitting on a bench to see if her bridesmaid had already got into town – I spot someone! “Queen of Hearts, Queen of Hearts, Queen of Hearts!!” I may have squealed even, but I definitely run off.

Jackie comes after me going: “You forgot your backpack.” I wouldn’t call it forgetting, more… temporary ignoring. :P

We arrive in Critter Country a little early, so we end up letting people in front again. Interesting perspective of the fireworks from there. Unfortunately Jackie has to leave a couple of minutes before Rabbit gets there, her bridesmaid is arriving.

She misses the mother of all happy dances when Rabbit spots my bunny nose. :D

Afterwards it’s just about time for the cavalcade.

Please excuse the crap pictures. I had the choice between a good parade spot and a decent parade spot which wasn’t so good for photos, but that spot gave me the chance to run off and get a good spot for the Villains’ Kiss Goodnight at the train station. As you may have guessed from the photos: my choice was option 2.: D

The Villains’ “Kiss Goodnight.” All villains come out for one last performance at the train station.

I was sitting on one of the benches facing the train station when I took these.

The highlight for me there is Anastasia. After a while she keeps yelling and waving and blowing kisses whenever she has a chance. I really thought she meant the adorable boy in the Buzz Lightyear outfit standing on the street in front of me for a while. But when the the family leaves she yells twice “I love your gift!” while making this heart sign with her hands. Guess she meant me after all. ;) That was the first time in about 2 hours I was warm again cause I blushed crimson red. LOL

When the performance is over I’m leaving. It’s late and Andrea is going home tomorrow, I don’t accidentally want to wake her.

Day 9 - Thursday 24th - Never on schedule but always on time

Andrea’s going home today. After waving good bye to her I walk over to the park, I have an 8.10 AM seating for Minnie’s. I’m slightly surprised to see bag check hasn’t even opened yet. Turned out park opening is at 9. A family behind me is in the same situation – wrong reservation time and they even reserved online! Hopefully they’re not going to tell us “you’re out of luck, sorry.”

On the way to rope drop I quickly stop at the snack cart near Market House when I spot two pins I need on the CM’s lanyard. It makes me grin a lot when not only does she trade me the pins, but she also presents me with that:

It’s just a small little thing, but that’s one of the things I love about Disney. Something you just get a little extra magic that makes you smile.

Off to Minnie’s. Thankfully my reservation is there, though no one can really explain why two parties were given the wrong time, and one of them even in writing.

You can see some of the queue to get in in the background. It was really, really full. Way more full than I remembered. Maybe that was part of the reason why the lines at the omelette station got so long.

I’m second person in and Fairy Godmother is already waiting for me for a chat. She tells me I am first and can choose and go wherever I want. True, the omelette station is empty for once… but I am first saying “Good morning” to her, and that’s what really matters.

It’s going to be quite a number of solo character pictures this time. That meal was one of the few occasions where I had really trouble to find someone to take a photo for me.

Being the good hostess that she is Minnie comes over right after the Fairy Godmother.

After that no character is in sight, so I dash over for the omelette station. I am really curious why the long lines. :D The omelette is okay, but really nothing to write home about. I also try the fried steak and the fried chicken (which I’ve always been told the Plaza Inn is famous for) and those were totally horrible. I ended up not eating half of it. Again something which rarely happens at any character meal.

Eeyore visits next.

Then suddenly texts start flodding in. Janis asks if I can meet a friend of hers who wants to trade with me. Sure, I am happy to do that. But not while I am close to a chipmunk! :D Then JJ tells me she’s on her way – originally the plan was we’d meet again for Mad T tomorrow. But now she’s coming in to see Mickey and the Magical Map with me. Quite astonishing how a “relaxed solo day” can turn into a meeting day. :D

After Eeyore Pooh stops by,

Followed my my favorite chipmunks.

I had drawn them as pirates – Chip got really excited about that.

Tigger

Suzy and Perla complete the characters for this morning

I run off to quickly buy the pin released today. After that I hurry to the hotel to get my pin bag for trading.

On the way out I bump into Bert again.

After some pin trading at Tomorrowland Terrace I saunter over to Rancho del Zocalo to meet another guy. On the way I stop at the Tiki Room when I spot a CM wearing a lanyard. She suddenly asks me: “Do you like odd pins?” Erm… yes? “Give me one of your traders.” I dig for one and she hands me… a Tokyo Disneyland Monorail pin! Eeek! :eek:

Some trades at Tomorrowland later I catch up with JJ when Magical Map lets out. She asks if we can go and find Bert because she wants a picture with him and doesn’t usually have someone to take it. Oops…

Bert isn’t showing up where City Hall tells us he will. So we split up trying to find him. As luck would have it I am the one to spot him near Pixie Hollow. JJ and I end up doing a phone conference with me trailing him until she finally catches up with us at the Storybookland boats. Phew. (I sure hope he didn’t think I was stalking him. LOL)

Day 9 - Thursday 24th - part 2: It's the end of the world as we know it part 1

It’s time for Magical Map again.

It’s a really fun and energetic show. The only thing I didn’t like that much has meanwhile been fixed: no characters appearing in the Lilo and Stitch bit. That really stuck out a bit negatively for me.

The grand finale!

Show 2:

Between the shows there’s another longer break and JJ sends me off to say goodbye to the Bootstrappers. I almost forgot that they are only performing Monday to Thursday.

Day 9 - Thursday 24th - part 3: It's the end of the world as we know it part 2

You really can’t get close to pirates without them trying something. ;)

I really liked that performance. They played some Irish tunes this time and a group of older kids just randomly started to do a dance routine along with the song.

Back to Magical Map.

When we are leaving two CMs we have chatted with stop us. “Ladies… We have something for you.” They present us with these:

Again it’s just a really small thing, but we were totally blown away by the gesture. Just the fact that someone took notice of JJ running around in circles all day to see the show and I had joined her half of the day made us smile.

Afterwards we trail around a little trying to find dinner. JJ has to work tomorrow still and wants to go home, but fighting traffic on an empty stomach is not a good idea. It got quite chilly meanwhile, so soup in a bread bowl sounds like the best plan. The Pacific Wharf Café has a “loaded potato soup” as daily special. Oh my god, that was so good! I didn’t actually feel hungry, but was very close to order a second bowl just because I loved this so much.

Sorry for the less than perfect shot. It smelled so delicious, I just wanted to dig in and did put less emphasis on a good picture than I normally would have. :D

When sitting down I check my cell phone because I could feel the vibration alarm going off for what it felt like 100 times while we were walking. You know those messages starting with “sit down please”? Has anything ever good come from those? In any case, my “sit down message” prompts what JJ calls “a scream of total horror like she never heard it before.” People look at me like I had just gotten the message a close relative had died. The reason for my scream? The theme for the Disneyland Paris December Pin Event has been announced. Rapunzel’s Christmas. If you’re not a pin trader, Rapunzel and Frozen pins are what currently pretty much 99 percent of the world collect. That was a really, really big announcement and possibly at that point the most stressful idea they could come up with.

Poor JJ looks at me totally alarmed until I show her the text. Ouch. Major ouch.

We venture on Toy Story Mania. Anyone surprised I got the most abysmal score ever? I don’t exactly do much better on Buzz Lightyear either. When JJ has to leave I walk her to the tram, then go checking for some more pins before heading back to the hotel.

Day 10 - Friday 25th - Arabian Nights

I’m catching up with Saul, another old friend I had seen in a while. He takes me to a place named Norms for breakfast. Sometimes locals just have the best ideas.

Can you believe I actually forgot to write down the name of this? :D It was really good and very filling though.

After catching up with Saul I trail through the parks until JJ comes back.

The first stop is in California Adventure to see the Aladdin musical. I was very happy to get a front row and center seat.

Nothing eventful on the way back to Disneyland Park

but at the castle I discover Mary Poppins, Bert and the Pearly Band.

When JJ comes in we leave to do some more shopping. It’s getting crowded and we actually find some characters (and some very nice pins) near the entrance gates.

JJ takes off to the Hollywood Backlot to secure a spot for T. I meanwhile have the headache from hell and detour to the Grand Californian to get some Tylenol and as soon as those kick in some dinner. The breakfast was filling, but we’ll be in those spots for T for a bit – this time I am so not leaving early. :D

Some shots from the Redwood Creek entrance:

I decide on the Anti Vampire Pizza at the Paradise Garden Grill. It was very good and I would have order it again any time. But boy, when they say “anti vampire” they mean seriously high doses of garlic.

On the way to Hollywood Backlot I hit parade traffic again. Oh well, that means I might as well have dessert.

Chocolate and strawberry ice cream from Ghiradelli.

Day 10 - Friday 25th - part 2: We're all mad around here

More detours post parade… Goofy and Pluto are meeting.

Back to Hollywood Backlot.

This is a Cheshire Chiller. AKA “crushed frozen sugar with artificial coloring” :D One of the special drinks available at the Mad T Party. It did taste nice, though after drinking I really felt like an Energizer Bunny. ;)

More T photos, this time including the last set.

Day 10 - Friday 25th - part 2.5: We're all mad around here - picture overflow

They really, really pumped out the fog for the next part. Im quite proud I got those shots. JJ was thinking it was hopeless. Were talking us madly waving to see anything and covering our mouths with shirts fog.

And the curtain call!

Technically I would have had only a couple of hours sleep after that. There was another pin release at DSF. But then my ride called and said she was really sick, they'd rather get the pins for me than risking I get sick too. Soo... sleep in the next morning! :D

This is good!! I love the characters in their halloween costumes. I have seen Rabbit at Disneyland Paris but not here.

This is good!! I love the characters in their halloween costumes. I have seen Rabbit at Disneyland Paris but not here.

He's rarely out in California, mostly at special events. Last time my friends had heard of him being out was Easter.

Day 11 - Saturday 26th: White Wedding

We had actually reserved a late brunch at Goofy’s that day because the plan was (there are the evil words again :D) I’d be at DSF in the morning. Now after my friend’s message the night before and seeing that we got back to the hotel only shortly before midnight anyway) we do something almost unthinkable… we sleep in. :P JJ was keeping my company and staying in the room for the weekend to save her the commuting back and forth.

So after a nice relaxed morning we trod through DTD to… Goofy’s Kitchen.

There’s a really long line for check in. I keep forgetting how popular late breakfasts are.

Goofy is at the entrance photo stop – Martin, you may want to ignore my t-shirt. ;)

When we walk in I see someone in a pinkish gown moving- “MULAN!!!” *squeals and points* JJ + me = very happy bunnies. Mulan is her favorite princess as well. Mulan moves to the next table and reveals a spot of pale blue that she had been covering. ALICE!!! *double squeal* (Remember I said JJ is a big Wonderland fan? She normally doesn’t do character meals that often and we specifically went because she wanted to do one with me. So… this was about as good as it could get.

Mulan is first to our table and seemingly happy that she made us both so bouncy.

Pluto follows directly after her… actually the two even got into a quick karate match, but unfortunately JJ had the camera at that point and she had the wrong angle for pictures. Still it was a very fun thing to see.

We’re going full circle … Baloo visits us again.

It’s always a pleasure to meet the chipmunks…

Chip playing peekaboo.

And last but not least… here’s Alice!

Afterwards we’re back to the parks for a bit.

More of the posters in DTD.

Coming in there’s Donald.

It looks kind of silly cause we were looking directly into the sun.

We ride Astroblasters again. I’m still a couple of rides short for my record. ;)

Also the Dapper Dans are performing – but they are on the plan for tomorrow.

I leave the parks in the early afternoon to change and prepare for the wedding.

I won’t bore you to death with details. ;) It was an outdoor wedding in a quite nice place with a pretty rose garden. The only downside was that it got a bit chilly in the evening. But sometimes California weather can be just a tad unpredictable. Jackie’s husband is named Nick and the new family is doing very well.

Doug and Mel are so kind to drop me off at the hotel after the reception. JJ is watching a concert at Tomorrowland Terrace, but it’s already nearing the end when I arrive at the hotel finally. Unfortunately not worth going over anymore.

Day 12 - Sunday 27th - The Final Countdown part 1

The last full day. It's not going to look very grown up if I cling on to the fence and go "I don't want to go home!", right? ;)

JJ decides to take the car to the Disney garage so she can leave directly after the T Party that night. In hindsight that turns out to be a bad mistake. For some reason they have decided to fill the Toy Story lot first. Most roads to the parking garage are blocked by police. Huh? One way still seems to be open, and after using some pretty spectacular sneak routes we make it in the garage after all.

We even make it on time for the first appearance of the Dapper Dans – which happens to be on the Trolley. That’s a nice experience, we even get to walk with them over there.

After that we visit Toontown, where we not only find Pluto out and about

but also go through Mickey’s house to meet Mickey.

After realizing that they were using a different set than usual I admit I got my hopes to finally see Steamboat Willie up slightly. But that was nice too, I hadn’t seen that set before.

We stroll through Fantasyland

until it’s time for… want to guess? ;)

With Sir Samuel of Morocco:

Third time (okay, okay… maybe more like 33rd time :D) is the charm… Flynn is out with Rapunzel for photos.

I just found your trip report this morning--what a great many things you've fit in, and what fun you've had! I very much enjoyed reading!:)

Thank you so much. :goodvibes

I'll post the last two wrap up parts in a bit.

Day 12 - Sunday 27th - The Final Countdown part 2

Some photos from strolling around through the park.

JJ goes off to save a spot for the next performance of the Dappers while I quickly go and check out the pin trading places. Surprise in Frontierland… someone has old Disney Auctions pin. Eeek! That unfortunately means I have to run back to the hotel to get my good stuff and will miss the last chance to see the Dappers again. I go and find JJ to tell and we agree to meet after I’m done at T. It’s the last Halloween performance, so we both expect a big crowd.

I do my trading and go to grab food at Jolly Holiday Bakery before joining JJ.

Some shots from the restaurant:

And the roast beef sandwich:

On the way to Hollywood Backlot there’s the Straw Hatters performing

and I even score a photo with the Dappers!

I also bump into Molly the Messenger.

Most of the afternoon is spent in Hollywood Backlot waiting for T, with the exception of me having to run off for a while to go and meet my friends who got me the pins earlier.

Day 12 - Sunday 27th - The Final Countdown part 3

So I’ll now present you with pictures from the last cup of Halloween T.

The next one is a shot I am particularly proud of.

Day 12 - Sunday 27th - The Final Countdown part 4

Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum introducing the last song:

JJ bids good bye after the last set and runs off to say good bye to the band. I hang around a little longer to meet with the woman I traded previously. Just like me she hadn’t quite expected to find someone with pins she liked, so she had gone home to grab some more stuff too. In the end they even pretty much closed DCA on us. :D

I wander over to Disneyland Park for one last ride on Buzz. Normally the tradition is a character meal the last morning, but due to the connecting flight this year that’s just not possible. The shuttle is coming way too early.

Good bye Disneyland, see you next year!

I go back to the hotel and pack the remaining pins. That was a task, let me tell you that! :D

Monday 28th - Travel Home

Travel day again. Saul comes to say goodbye, brings me a few more pins (thank god for side pockets :D) and waves good bye when the shuttle picks me up.

I had booked what Execucar calls Business Shuttle this time, a van for solo use. That worked pretty well. They were on time and while the route the driver used was pretty… interesting he got me to LAX without a hitch.

The check in at United wasn’t exactly smooth and the security check took ages, but I made it to the boarding area on time. It was a pretty weird feeling a couple of days later when the news about the gunman at LAX hit the TV stations here… that was exactly the area I was in that day, and the day the incident occurred would have been my normal travel day if vacation had been approved as originally planned.

I had paid for Priority Boarding on the way back and while things would have been okay on the first leg I was happy I had done it once I got on the plane in Charlotte. That boarding process took ages due to the new security measures to check papers again at the gate. At least I guess it must be new because half of the passengers tried to board without doing it. Unfortunately I was sitting next to a guy who announced right away that he had spent a couple of hours in a bar. Thankfully there was in seat entertainment though – so while I didn’t get any sleep at least I had the Avengers and Iron Man to keep me company. :D

Well, and that is it. Unfortunately the Jack Skellington solo one never turned up, so I guess it was a Photopass shot after all. Overall I had a fantastic trip, and it was great coming home after a two year break. Hopefully this year will see a split WDW/DLR trip along with my friend Sabrina and her boyfriend.

Now on to get the December Paris report started. :D

Just read your whole trip report. You met so many characters wowsers! Luvin all the pics

Wow!! You are a character magnet! I have never seen so many characters before. Thanks for sharing!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter