A Tale of Two Trips: Disneyland and Hawaii July 2014 Long Way Home: The End 9/13 p.40

Can't wait to find out what happens next.

:welcome: to the report! Thank you so much for following along!

:goodvibes

I'm looking forward to your trip report. :thumbsup2 I've never been to California, so that will be totally new to me. And the one time we stayed on Oahu we took one look at our Waikiki hotel room, then asked if they could move us to the north shore. We get enough of the big city life here.

We like to take the 6am flight to Orlando. It gives us plenty of time for WDW and the afternoon nap is nice, too. Did you get any food to eat on that morning flight?

This was my 3rd time to California- once with my dad and brother and once with Mark over 25 years ago. We didn't make it out of Disney bubble on this trip, but that is just fine.

It is a shame that we never made it to the North Shore on Oahu, but as first timers, there were plenty of iconic tourist things for us to do on Waikiki.

We always love the early morning flight to Orlando too. Great question about food on the plane. The answer is no- we only had the small amount of snacks I had packed. Nothing on the breakfast menu interested us.

This lack of food will play a part in my update "Awkward", which is coming up in a couple of posts.

;)

YAY You started!!
I get that feeling of being not prepared. I felt like that going to Germany. Where are my ADRs and park times and FP+ reservations and lists?? :rotfl:
You're right about long flights, it's nice to kick back and read while there's no guilt. I can't possibly be doing anything else!

And the worst thing? Friends from our town were travelling to DL at the same time we were, and I prepared a great document for us with park hours, links to menus, contact phone numbers, tips, rides with FP, rides with Photo Pass.

And I forgot to print it out or email it to myself!

:sad2:

The comment Ben made about pitching a fit was hilarious! That's my kinda kid. Your pictures from the airplane are so pretty! It's neat to see the different landscapes from that perspective. The only time that I've flown was in my uncle's small private plane and our scenery didn't look anything like that.

It was the funniest thing! I just kept looking at him and cracking up. There really aren't many other sources of humor before 5 am!

I can't believe how much time I spent looking out the window and not reading!

:lmao:

Great pictures from the plane. I'm sure you were so excited at this point in the trip.
Love, love, love the GC. Stayed there for 5 nights and got an upgrade to CA view. WOC everynight from the balcony :lovestruc
Can't wait to read more about this trip.

Thank you! I think the excitement was winning over exhaustion at that point.

We loved the GC, too! The location was great. The rooms were large and beautiful and what can I say- Disney Does Details.

Wow! A CA View with World of Color would be incredible.

:cool1:

Dee, a fun update. Although I hate that they changed your flight and you had to get up so early.

I'm not the world's best flyer (although I've gotten much better since I started flying on my own in able to go on my girls trips with Mary) and Vegas at 3-1/2 hours was my longest flight since our honeymoon to Hawaii 31 years ago. I'm thinking if we can swing Disneyland next year, I'll be fine on the flight.

Your son cracks me up "you think that was a fit?" :lmao::lmao::lmao:

So you didn't rent a car? But you were on property so you really didn't need one. Hmmm...something to ponder.

The sign is kind of small compared to what we are used to, yes?

I can't wait to see pics of the resort.

Thanks!

Fortunately, we are pretty good flyers. I am really proud of my boys, too. They are courteous and quiet on the flights, they know what to do going through security and baggage claim and that makes our experience much less stressful.

My son's comment still puts a smile on my face.

We absolutely did not need a car for DL. I can see if you are doing some other things in the area (Hollywood or a nearby beach), but everything was walking distance for us, especially from the Grand Californian.

I am going to post the resort update today. My plan is to do that because I want to get to my chapter with Disneyland before I leave for the Beach Club on Sunday night.

:thumbsup2

So did Nate get wanded???? Or did you have that embarrassing moment of a teen throwing a fit on the floor? :rotfl2:

That's pretty funny.

I came upon DL at night, so I never even thought to look for a sign to take a picture of...but yeah it was very different thant WDW. We had issues finding the DL hotel...it wasn't really marked very well at all. So different there than WDW...but still super cool experience.

Glad you made it! Sounds like you might have a long day like I did on my arrival day too. Did you stay up for 24 hours???? ;)

I'm joining in as a new reader! I'm all caught up on reading your trip report and looking at the wonderful pictures. I'm excited to hear more!!
We (me,DH&DS13) are DVC members and going to DL and Hawaii (Aulani) in Nov. Never been out west before. We love WDW, but I'm feeling a bit overwelmed by DisneyLand. I have been doing alot of reading. We are staying at the Grand Californian also. I will be looking up the Lansky Transportation for car svc round trip. Thanks for mentioning it. I was inbetween a bus and a car svc.
Carla

I'm here! Welcome to CA! I'm in time to see your arrival. Glad to know that all worked out with your flights and ground transportation. Let the trip begin! :)

So did Nate get wanded???? Or did you have that embarrassing moment of a teen throwing a fit on the floor? :rotfl2:

That's pretty funny.

No, he didn't get wanded, but he was thankfully able to hold it together. After we got through he gave me a little look that said "You are welcome. I really could have made a scene there!"

I came upon DL at night, so I never even thought to look for a sign to take a picture of...but yeah it was very different thant WDW. We had issues finding the DL hotel...it wasn't really marked very well at all. So different there than WDW...but still super cool experience.

I was in the front of the van with the driver. I'm sure he was thinking "What the heck is she taking a picture of?"

It wouldn't be the last time that sentiment was shared on the trip, both from my family and strangers.

:)

Glad you made it! Sounds like you might have a long day like I did on my arrival day too. Did you stay up for 24 hours???? ;)

Just about. Our day started at 3 am (EST) and I finally got to bed around 10 pm, which would be 1 am according to my body clock.

:cat:

I'm joining in as a new reader! I'm all caught up on reading your trip report and looking at the wonderful pictures. I'm excited to hear more!!
We (me,DH&DS13) are DVC members and going to DL and Hawaii (Aulani) in Nov. Never been out west before. We love WDW, but I'm feeling a bit overwelmed by DisneyLand. I have been doing alot of reading. We are staying at the Grand Californian also. I will be looking up the Lansky Transportation for car svc round trip. Thanks for mentioning it. I was inbetween a bus and a car svc.
Carla

:welcome:

So glad you have joined in for my report, especially since you will have such a similar trip coming up. Hope I can give you some useful information.

How long will you be at DL, and how long in Hawaii?

I was intimidated about DL, too, but really more is familiar there than not. It is strange trying to keep track of where familiar rides are since some are in different lands than in WDW. They are still using legacy Fast Passes there, so we were familiar with that process- just need to keep track of which rides have this and which ones don't. Also, with the age of your son, you should be able to take advantage of Single Rider lines on rides like Matterhorn, California Screaming and Radiator Spring Racers.

Please speak up with any questions you have along the way!

The Grand Californian Hotel was awesome, which you will see in my next posts- coming up VERY soon!

I'm here! Welcome to CA! I'm in time to see your arrival. Glad to know that all worked out with your flights and ground transportation. Let the trip begin! :)

It wouldn't be the same without you!

I would have to say we encountered pretty smooth sailing for our arrival.

I never did a full write-up of our meet, but I will do that here on the report.

:yay:

Grand Californian Hotel Super Thread from the DIS

FYI- reports on this thread have discussed that the GCH will undergo refurbishment (rooms, I think) in 2015. At this point, I have not seen a start date or timetable announced.

We were a couple of families back in the line to check-in. A greeter in line took our information and when she learned we were first-time visitors, she gave us some information and tips about Disneyland. Stuff I knew, from my research, but whatever. We got to the desk, and asked if our request for a room with a daybed was met. The CM told us to wait a minute and she went out back. When she returned, she said that unfortunately, all of the rooms with day beds were needed for families of 5 (I totally understand this from the BC FAQ), but she was able to upgrade us to a Downtown Disney View Room.

That’ll work!

They would text us when our room was ready.

I was skeptical about this information, because I have heard too many times from friends on the DIS that the text never comes. I told Mark this when he was out of earshot, and he didn’t believe me. (Spoiler alert- he was right! We got our text at 2:49 pm)

Since room was not ready yet, we gave our luggage to bell services. Then, it was off to Disneyland!

But that will have to wait for the next update because this is the place in the report where I like to do a thorough overview of the resort.

So, may I now present

The Grand Californian Hotel!

Lobby and Public Spaces

For my friend with a light fixture fetish!

This pretty outside courtyard is where the monorail goes through the resort, but we never saw that happening

Continued in Next Post: Getting to Disneyland and California Adventure
http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=52076484&postcount=47

Here are some pictures of the entrance/exit to Downtown Disney from the Grand Californian resort. This is the route you take to get to the front entrances of Disneyland and California Adventure

Once of the really nice features of staying at the Grand Californian is the entrance/exit right to California Adventure (near Grizzly River Run). We used this portal in the afternoons or evenings, but in the mornings during early entry, we used the regular Downtown Disney/front entrance for California Adventure.

This was how the CA entrance looked on one of the early entry mornings (7 am on Monday July 14)

As a comparison, here is what the main entrance of CA looked like at early entry (7 am on Sunday July 13)

Whitewater Snacks

Whitewater snacks is the Quick Service and Market location for the Grand Californian Hotel. You can get drinks, pastries, breakfast items, some grocery items (since this is a DVC resort) and sandwiches, burgers, hot dogs, pizza and nachos.

Get the nachos!

Menu picture borrowed from internet

More GCH

Bathroom Area:

Mini-fridge

Safe- in the second picture, there is a Surface Tablet, Kindle Fire and phone

We noticed that the time was about an hour and twenty minutes off. We could not figure out how to change the time setting on the clock. We even tried googling "Setting clock at Grand Californian Hotel" and we got instructions on setting the time on the Grandfather Clock in the lobby, but not on the one in our room! We intended to stop by the front desk to ask, but we never ended up doing that. I think we also tried leaving a note for the housekeeper to ask to correct the time.

Funny thing- we had the same exact clock in one of our rooms in Hawaii, but fortunately, that clock displayed the correct time.

Here was a helpful post on the Grand Californian Superthread about the airconditioning unit/controls in the room.

Believe it (or not): I didn't take a picture of the a/c control panel on the wall. I must be slipping!

The maintenance man who successfully fixed our AC showed us the new method of putting the AC units on bypass, which disables the motion sensor, stops the units from bouncing back to the relatively high pre-set temperature, and keeps the units regulating the temperature at all times (instead of shutting off if you're sitting in one place too long or sleeping--and thus not triggering the motion sensor.)

It all works with the little Fahrenheit/Celsius button on the left side of the electronic thermostat. First make sure the fan is on "Auto". Then, assuming you want to use Fahrenheit, first press the button to change over to Celsius, then long press (i.e. hold down) the button until the display shows "bp". The long press will also switch the unit back to Fahrenheit. Then you can simply use the arrows to select your target temperature. Turning the unit off and on turns off the bypass function.

According to the maintenance man who did this for us, you can specifically request for maintenance to come up and set your unit on bypass. He said because the units are old and in need of renovation (which of course is happening next year), they often just put them on bypass if guests complain that their rooms are too warm. Apparently it's common practice there. It makes your room go from overly warm to ice age pretty darn fast, too.

The View!

Why, yes, that IS Space Mountain and the Train Station off to the right!

We could see the monorail (when it was running)

The view at night was breathtaking!

And the best part of the view is yet to come!

Since we had such a nice view of Space Mountain and the train station, I suspected that we may be able to see some of the nightly DL fireworks. Even though I was dead-tired after being awake for more than 21 hours on our arrival night, I went out on the balcony after the guys went to bed, and waited.

I was rewarded with a straight on view of the fireworks from the park!

Here is just a small sampling of the display from that night.

I think we’re gonna like it here!!!

Next Up: To All Who Come To This Happy Place, Welcome!

Great pictures! I love that you can see the fireworks. :goodvibes

The Grand Californian is gorgeous. Have you ever been in the Wilderness Lodge? Some of the features are similar, but different, too. How does the resort compare to one of WDW's deluxe resorts? How do the room rates compare and is it hard to get a room there?

The Grand Floridian reminds me of the Wilderness Lodge but yet it's different. I am sure that there are a whole lot of folks out there who are super happy to see your informative type pictures. Someone can describe the heck out of something but actually seeing it helps me make a final decision.

Talk about a view from your room! I love the views during both the daytime and the nighttime.

Great Resort pictures and view of the fireworks!! I would like to call and request a certain view/room, but still a bit confused on where to request? We are staying at GC Thurs to Sun. Leave for Hawaii Sun. We are planning on buying 3day hopper passes.
Will you be giving reviews of the restaurants in the GC? I'm thinking about eating at the Story Teller Cafe for lunch or dinner buffet.
How did you and your family do with the time change?
Carla

I'm here! And I'm actually going to keep up with this one (well, for the next two months of course).

The Grand is stunning, stunning, stunning and I'm so envious that you were able to stay there. Those nachos look DELICIOUS! The Grand is definitely on the bucket list for our next trip to DL for sure. You got a fantastic view to boot!

United switched the flights out on us too when we went to DL - only they canceled our nonstop and booked us on a connection instead (through Newark) :sad2: Still not as bad as Delta though!

WOW! Just WOW! What a beautiful resort and what a fabulous room location! The pool looks spectacular and I love that the chairs have cushions on them!

Great firework pictures from your balcony your first night. Despite being tired, you are a great DISer staying up to get those shots!

Great pictures of GC. The lobby is so dark so it is difficult to take good pictures, did you notice the carpeting and flooring around it continues the flower pattern? It is in the details with Disney, isn't it?
What a great view of DL, and the fireworks. I'm sure you were elated with that room location. I just loved how both parks were so close, with DTD right there too. Did you find entering the main gate to CA to be easier or quicker than thru the GC? I'm sure your TR will cover it, but it will be interesting to see what you went to first.:confused3
Those cushions on the pool chairs were so comfortable, we enjoyed a short amount of pool time each day. :beach:

Isn't that hotel beautiful??? I only saw it passing through it daily, but it is so lovely. And you cannot beat the location. Better than anything in WDW.

It's nice to see all of the areas I didn't see as a non guest. But one thing I just do not understand is the thin-ness of the room safes. You did get some stuff in there though.

Wow, great room location too. Being able to see the fireworks... yeah I'd give up the day bed.

I forgot to write about the alarm clock in the room. We noticed that the time was about an hour and twenty minutes off. We could not figure out how to change the time setting on the clock. We even tried googling "Setting clock at Grand Californian Hotel" and we got instructions on setting the time on the Grandfather Clock in the lobby, but not on the one in our room! We intended to stop by the front desk to ask, but we never ended up doing that.

Funny thing- we had the same exact clock in one of our rooms in Hawaii, but fortunately, that clock displayed the correct time.

Great pictures! I love that you can see the fireworks. :goodvibes

The Grand Californian is gorgeous. Have you ever been in the Wilderness Lodge? Some of the features are similar, but different, too. How does the resort compare to one of WDW's deluxe resorts? How do the room rates compare and is it hard to get a room there?

Thank you! I was so happy that we were able to see the fireworks. That actually was useful more than once for us.

I have not been in the Wilderness Lodge. Mark and I would like to check it out, but the boys have not been interested. The only Disney resorts I have stayed at have been the Beach Club and a couple of the All Stars. The GC was definitely deluxe! The amount of room in the room. The amenities.

The room rate was $$$. We did a package through AAA, and if I get a chance, I'll take out the estimated price of the park tickets and figure out the nightly rate. Not sure if rooms are hard to get or not, but discounts certainly are.

:rotfl:

The Grand Floridian reminds me of the Wilderness Lodge but yet it's different. I am sure that there are a whole lot of folks out there who are super happy to see your informative type pictures. Someone can describe the heck out of something but actually seeing it helps me make a final decision.

Talk about a view from your room! I love the views during both the daytime and the nighttime.

The GC is definitely a sister resort to the WL. As we have discussed, Lisa, I am compelled to take pictures of all sorts of aspects of a resort for informational purposes. So you'll be seeing more resort spreads like this for the 3 other places we stayed on this trip.

The views were so interesting. It was fun just sitting out there and staring the scenery any time of day!

Great Resort pictures and view of the fireworks!! I would like to call and request a certain view/room, but still a bit confused on where to request? We are staying at GC Thurs to Sun. Leave for Hawaii Sun. We are planning on buying 3day hopper passes.
Will you be giving reviews of the restaurants in the GC? I'm thinking about eating at the Story Teller Cafe for lunch or dinner buffet.
How did you and your family do with the time change?
Carla

Are you in the resort or the villas? What room category?

The GC Superthread has some info on suggested room requests if you are able to wade through the pages.

Carla, I have some good news and some bad news for you.

I am a big fan of food porn, so I will have lots of pictures and reviews of our meals. The bad news is, I think we only ate at two table service restaurants (Blue Bayou and Carthay Circle). We looked at the menu for Story Teller Café and it looks awesome, but we were never able to fit it in.

I was pretty impressed with how well we did with the time change. I was really scared before hand that I would be waking up at 1:30 every day, since I wake up between 4:30 and 5 am every single day of the year when I am home. We had to wake the boys at 6 most mornings so that we could get to the parks by the 7 am opening, and it was never a problem. Then, once we hit Hawaii, we continued to adjust well.

I'm here! And I'm actually going to keep up with this one (well, for the next two months of course).

The Grand is stunning, stunning, stunning and I'm so envious that you were able to stay there. Those nachos look DELICIOUS! The Grand is definitely on the bucket list for our next trip to DL for sure. You got a fantastic view to boot!

United switched the flights out on us too when we went to DL - only they canceled our nonstop and booked us on a connection instead (through Newark) :sad2: Still not as bad as Delta though!

I totally agree about the Grand Californian. We loved it! It is beautiful and SO CLOSE to the parks!!! We LOVED our view!

Jenseib is the one who suggested the nachos in her trip report- I don't think I would have considered them if she hadn't mentioned how good they were.

YUM!

AirTran once changed us from a direct flight to a connection through Atlanta- GRRRRR!!!!

:furious:

WOW! Just WOW! What a beautiful resort and what a fabulous room location! The pool looks spectacular and I love that the chairs have cushions on them!

Great firework pictures from your balcony your first night. Despite being tired, you are a great DISer staying up to get those shots!

The Grand Californian is spectacular. Our room location was great. I forgot to add that we were close to the elevator that took us to pool and quick service location, and was also pretty close to the California Adventure entrance.

ALL GOOD!

Yes, I was indeed tired. I was sitting out on the balcony and I believe I may have drifted off once or twice while trying to read and wait to see if there would be fireworks.

Great pictures of GC. The lobby is so dark so it is difficult to take good pictures, did you notice the carpeting and flooring around it continues the flower pattern? It is in the details with Disney, isn't it?
What a great view of DL, and the fireworks. I'm sure you were elated with that room location. I just loved how both parks were so close, with DTD right there too. Did you find entering the main gate to CA to be easier or quicker than thru the GC? I'm sure your TR will cover it, but it will be interesting to see what you went to first.:confused3
Those cushions on the pool chairs were so comfortable, we enjoyed a short amount of pool time each day. :beach:

Yes the lobby is a real bear to photograph. Like you said, it is dark, but then there are the windows that let the light stream through.

I guess I didn't pay much attention to the floor. We weren't in the lobby very much, just for checkin and checkout. We were able to bypass the lobby on our way to parks based on our location.

We used the CA entrance if we were going in the afternoon or evening, but we used the regular front entrance on the two early morning days. The line didn't look too bad when we went by, though, so I think it would have been a wash the days we were there.

We visited the pool a lot more than we usually do on a Disney trip. We were always able to find a lounger or two.

Isn't that hotel beautiful??? I only saw it passing through it daily, but it is so lovely. And you cannot beat the location. Better than anything in WDW.

It's nice to see all of the areas I didn't see as a non guest. But one thing I just do not understand is the thin-ness of the room safes. You did get some stuff in there though.

Wow, great room location too. Being able to see the fireworks... yeah I'd give up the day bed.

Yup, loved the GC! I don't think I am able to say that it is better than anything at WDW *cough* Beach Club *cough* but it is definitely our resort of choice at DL!

The safe was fine for our purposes, but wouldn't have fit a laptop.

No question, the location trumped a daybed (at least for all of us but Nate). He did fine though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter