A Tale of Two Trips: Disneyland and Hawaii July 2014 Long Way Home: The End 9/13 p.40

I'm in! I enjoyed your preview pictures and cannot wait to read about your trip of a lifetime. I always love your TRs and learn so much too! We hope to get to Disneyland for Gavin's 3rd birthday. It's been so long since I've been to Hawaii, definitely looking forward to a trip back there when Gavin is older!

I am so glad to see all the friends who have followed me over here! I'm going to try to get a few updates posted before my drive-by trip for the Beach & Yacht Club FAQ DISmeet next week, so stay tuned and catch up when you can! (But no, Joanie, I'm not going to finish the report by then)

:goodvibes

Oh, well in that case, I'll sign up! ;) :banana:

:welcome: Glenn and congratulations on being first! Someone was in the right place at the right time!

:thumbsup2

I'm in! I can't wait to hear about it all! :goodvibes

:welcome: Missy!

So glad you are here!

:)

Following along :)

:welcome: Rosa and thanks for joining in! See you next week!

:cool1:

I'm so in!

2008 Ben is too cute, and 2010 Nate looks like he is almost smiling. :)

:welcome:

I'm so glad!!!

That 2008 picture cracks me up. I had to go to Photopass support for something and when the CM saw the picture, like something out of a State Farm commercial, she said "You should get this picture taken again. Your daughter does not look good in this" "Yeah, that's my son, so..."

See you next week!

:yay:

:welcome: and thanks, Rebecca! For everything!

See you next week!

:woohoo:

:yay::yay::yay: you started, Dee. I am so anxious to read all about it and seeing more pictures.

I love the intros. :)

:welcome: Kathy!

I am so glad you are here!

More coming soon...

That is quite the trip, wow! Can't wait to read how it all went.

It was an amazing trip! Can't wait to share it.

I just logged onto Facebook and saw the bat signal. Looking forward to seeing and hearing all about your trip.

:welcome: Lisa!

Thanks for coming!

:wave2:I'm here :)
Cant wait to hear all about it.

I swear as your kids are getting older you are getting younger in those photos :goodvibes How'd you do that :confused3
Brilliant start :thumbsup2

Favorite.Comment.Ever!

Thanks!

I'm definitely in! Can't wait to read all about this trip!

:welcome: Wendy!

I am so glad you are here!

:woohoo:

Hurray! Can't wait to read all about it!!

I am excited to share this trip with you. It truly went better than we even imagined- it was a really nice, but exhausting, vacation.

I'm here too! Looks great.

Thanks for joining in, Mike!

Here Dee, and well done on the math. That is impressive.

Hehe, you gotta love the logic of using a Disneyland visit to help with a long travel. Of course it works for me.

You are just so darn organized with Days and titles already done. Looking forward to all the stories to go along with the wonderful photos.

:welcome: Rob!

Yeah, I checked the math about a dozen times! I have a degree in math and worked as an actuarial assistant in a past life so it would have been very awkward if I got that wrong!

Including DL was totally the right thing to do. The only downside is that we were already exhausted by the time we started our journey to Hawaii, but it really worked out well with our adjustment to the jet lag.

I can't promise that some of the titles won't change, but it really helps when you start to form the stories as the experiences are actually happening, and taking good notes everyday is crucial!

The boys were funny- "Are you going to write about this in your trip report?" "Do you use real names?"

:lmao:

Oh, and I forgot to mention- the resort on the Big Island that was trying to be Disney- they actually welcomed us home when we arrived! The nerve!

Sounds like quite an adventure. Can't wait to read all about it.

Thank you, Debbie, for all of your advice and reaching out to share your love of Hawaii with me before my trip!

Looking forward to hearing all about it!!

So glad you are here!

Totally in for this amazing trip! Your teaser pictures on your other TR are amazing and you look like a total pro surfing. :thumbsup2

I also love all the throw back pictures!

Your were so right on to plan this trip before college. We never travel with our kids anymore. Getting summer jobs and internships is competitive and the kids have to do those things in addition to attending school.

Too funny that you did not use your new camera. Sometimes its just easier to go with what feels right. You will have plenty of time to use that one.

:welcome: Mary Ellen!

So glad you are here!

It was fun going back to look at the pictures from our previous Disney trips. Our first trip with the boys was a very quick trip in 2004, and unfortunately I don't have a picture of us all in front of the castle for that one :( I can't believe how much Nate changed between 2010 and 2011. :sad2:

We are very fortunate that we have been able to share our love of travel with the kids and we have had so many great experiences together.

I am going to try again next week with the big girl camera. Since I will be solo, I can take my time lining up shots instead of shooting while I am literally on the go! I will also have some on-site support from friends who actually know what to do with a camera like that.

I'm here Dee! And ready for your to hear all about your trip!!:beach:

Thanks for joining in!

:cheer2:

joining in...I just had a feeling I should've checked yesterday!

:welcome: Jen!

Thank you for being here, and also for your great, great report about Disneyland- you really had some great advice that helped this first-timer!

I'm in! I enjoyed your preview pictures and cannot wait to read about your trip of a lifetime. I always love your TRs and learn so much too! We hope to get to Disneyland for Gavin's 3rd birthday. It's been so long since I've been to Hawaii, definitely looking forward to a trip back there when Gavin is older!

I appreciate you joining in. I'll try to provide some useful info, but to be honest, it wasn't a trip focused on toddler activities!

;)

We booked this trip in October 2013. I had over 8 months to plan and prepare for our vacation of a lifetime. So what was I doing the night before our trip?

Scrambling! No matter how much I do to get ready, I am always in panic mode with last minute details.

Every.Single.Time!

I had completed some required research on the Disneyland subforum on the DIS, spent some time on Trip Advisor reading about the 3 islands we would be visiting in Hawaii and I had talked/cyberchatted with friends who have been to one of these destinations or the other. Still, I did not feel fully prepared as we departed on our trip.

I had exactly 1 dining reservation scheduled for our 14 day trip (Carthay Circle for the World of Color package at California Adventure), 2 tours booked in Hawaii (Trilogy Snorkel in Maui, Paradise Helicopters on BI), and tickets for the U.S.S. Arizona Memorial that we reserved online 6 months before our trip. That was it. For someone who considers herself an uber-planner, I was not feeling I had done my job adequately.

The other pre-trip concerns had to do with our flights. Originally, our United Airlines flight from Boston to LA was scheduled for 8 am to 11:30 am. Great timing, we wouldn’t have to be up at an unreasonable hour, we still would have lots of park time once we arrived in California. Then, I learned about two months out that the flight had been changed and was now 6 am to 9:30. Holy early wakeup call, Batman!

Then, I noticed when we received our paperwork about 3 weeks out, that one of the legs of our flights was not showing up- Oahu to Maui. I could go into the Hawaiian Airlines website and see the flight, but it was not printing up on our itinerary. Ruh-Roh! When we tried printing our boarding passes from home for our flight to California, we couldn’t do it. I guess that will have to wait until morning at the airport.

But, prepared or not, the alarm went off at 3:00 am, the car service picked us up a 3:30 and we were at Boston’s Logan Airport by 4:10. We were able to check-in for our flight (PHEW), and made our way to security.

We were behind a young couple with an adorable 3 year old boy. The dad got wanded, and the boy asked if he could be wanded, too. The TSA guy refused. The boy threw himself on the ground in a (cute) tantrum and was inconsolable. I turned to Nate to prepare him by telling him that they may not wand him either. He cracked me up when he answered “You think THAT kid pitched a fit?!?”

We found seats at the gate, and then made a very long trip across the terminal to Dunkin’ Donuts. For the first time in forever, there was not a huge a line there! We ate our breakfast (sorry, no picture) and then I got into line to pick up a couple of sandwiches for the 5 hour flight.

But the line moved at a snail’s pace, and our flight was called for boarding, so I had to abandon my mission.

This was the longest flight the boys had ever taken so far. Everybody was powered up with electronics. I love to read and actually enjoy flying because it gives me time when I can’t be doing anything else. I had just loaded up the 7th book in Kingdom Keepers series on my Kindle because it features Disneyland. I think I had only read the first one or two previously. I really wasn’t getting into it, but that was ok because the scenery outside my window was so captivating. I haven’t flown west in over 25 years, so I enjoyed watching the farmlands, the mountains, the canyons below.

Bye Bye Boston!

Hello, LA!

I do have a little rant. Kind of a plea for any of my male readers. When the guy sitting next to Mark got up to use the bathroom, I decided that would be a good time for me to have a bio-break as well. I was in line behind him and when I got into the stall, he had left the seat up. Dude, those things are gross enough to begin with so if you raise the seat, please be considerate and lower it before you leave. Thank you! A Public Service Announcement from your fellow (well, gal) travelers.

We landed about 25 minutes early, at 9:00.

This will come up again, but neither Mark nor I really like to drive on vacation. There was no way I was going to rent a car in Los Angeles. Based on some recommendations on the DL forum in the DIS, I had booked a private car service through Lansky Transportation (formerly DK Livery). The round-trip cost was $180 plus tip and we could have a grocery stop if we wanted. I would totally recommend the service to friends traveling to Disneyland.

The driver was waiting for us with a sign when we got to baggage claim, our luggage came out right away, and we were on the road by 9:25!

And now the moment everyone anticipates at the start of a Disney vacation.

The Disney welcome sign:

Pretty impressive, huh?

We arrived here a little after 10 am:

Next up: Welcome to the Hotel California
http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=52076461&postcount=46

Awesome start!!! I agree that the build up to Disneyland just isn't the same.

I know the feeling that despite my now famous packing list, I worry I have forgotten something. I try to remember that all we really can't replace or buy is my license to get on the plane.

:welcome: Glenn and congratulations on being first! Someone was in the right place at the right time!

I thought it was kind of funny -- I had not kept up very well and you had a zillion Hawaii preview pics that I was catching up on and when I replied on that thread I saw that you had just posted the new link. :cool1: Right place at the right time!

Lovin the photos from the air :thumbsup2 Hate scary-o-clock wake up calls but at least if you have to have one it's because you are going on vacation ;)
Like you we don't like to drive on vacation. This year, for the first time ever we used a car service in Orlando (usually we get either bus transfers, cab or magical express). We loved the car service. It was same price as a cab and the driver was lovely and waiting for us at the luggage carousel. Such a stress-free way to arrive at your hotel :thumbsup2

Honestly Dee, it's not a real trip unless there's last minute scrambling. Totally required IMO. Because if it's not required, then I'm doing something terribly wrong...

Haha, funny that I generally rant about the toilet seat being left up... :scratchin

I'll be honest, I was terribly nervous about LA driving, but I really didn't find it all that bad. But, I totally get not wanting to do it either. Plus, pretty VIP cool to arrive to a driver holding your name on a sign. :thumbsup2

Dee- I love your airplane view pics. Good job on those. Really looking forward to more great pictures and reading about your DL fun!

Rebecca

Wow Dee, do you always tease like this? lol First the preview pictures, now titles to look forward to. Sounds like you all had a great trip. I can't wait to read all about it. Thanks so much for putting in all your effort for us. Love the old pictures.

It really is interesting to fly out west. The mountains and various rivers really look amazing. I guess it was worth suffering through the 3am wake up call to get there by 9am. Nice!

Hello VGC! NICE!

Too funny about the little guy throwing a fit for not getting wanded. :rotfl2:

Awesome start!!! I agree that the build up to Disneyland just isn't the same.

I know the feeling that despite my now famous packing list, I worry I have forgotten something. I try to remember that all we really can't replace or buy is my license to get on the plane.

I wondered what kind of signs would indicate that we were entering Disney territory. The sad thing is that this is probably a better picture than any I have of the welcome arch in Florida.

:lmao:

Chargers. I am always afraid I will forget the chargers for the cameras and my phone.

:guilty:

I thought it was kind of funny -- I had not kept up very well and you had a zillion Hawaii preview pics that I was catching up on and when I replied on that thread I saw that you had just posted the new link. :cool1: Right place at the right time!

I won't comment that it appears neither of us had anything better to do on a Saturday night. Oops, I guess I did comment!

:rotfl2:

I posted a bat signal on Facebook, but you still beat the "masses"

Lovin the photos from the air :thumbsup2 Hate scary-o-clock wake up calls but at least if you have to have one it's because you are going on vacation ;)
Like you we don't like to drive on vacation. This year, for the first time ever we used a car service in Orlando (usually we get either bus transfers, cab or magical express). We loved the car service. It was same price as a cab and the driver was lovely and waiting for us at the luggage carousel. Such a stress-free way to arrive at your hotel :thumbsup2

Although I am someone who wakes up early every single day, 3 am is a little early for me. But when you know what is on the other end of the day, it just isn't bad at all.

The Disneyland car service (Lansky) was totally worth it.

I was really annoyed that when I would go to Trip Advisor to look for the answer about how much it cost to get from the airports in Oahu and Big Island to the resorts where we were staying, by taxi or car service, the destination experts would not answer the question. All they would say is "You really need a car on the islands" Well, we were only on the Big Island for one day and our tour included pickup, and we stayed in Waikiki for time purposes- plenty to do there- so no, we really didn't need a car!

Honestly Dee, it's not a real trip unless there's last minute scrambling. Totally required IMO. Because if it's not required, then I'm doing something terribly wrong...

Haha, funny that I generally rant about the toilet seat being left up... :scratchin

I'll be honest, I was terribly nervous about LA driving, but I really didn't find it all that bad. But, I totally get not wanting to do it either. Plus, pretty VIP cool to arrive to a driver holding your name on a sign. :thumbsup2

OK, good. I can never seem to get to bed before 11 the night before a trip.

I am picturing a t-shirt- toilet seat up with a line through it.

There were only a couple of drivers there with signs. I thought for sure we would pegged as celebrities and mobbed by the paparazzi from TMZ wanting to know who we were, but it looks like we slipped out of there too quickly.

:rotfl:

Dee- I love your airplane view pics. Good job on those. Really looking forward to more great pictures and reading about your DL fun!

Rebecca

Glad you liked the photos from the window seat. I really held back in posting them. I took 40!!!

:upsidedow

Wow Dee, do you always tease like this? lol First the preview pictures, now titles to look forward to. Sounds like you all had a great trip. I can't wait to read all about it. Thanks so much for putting in all your effort for us. Love the old pictures.

I got into the habit of writing trip report chapter titles in advance during the class trip I took with my 13 year old son. When you have titles like "The EMTs show up and We Haven't Even Left the Airport Yet" and "The Showering Habits of Teens" you just have to tease.

Thanks so much for your kind comments!

Awesome start indeed. Love the canyon shots from the plane. Very impressive.

It was such a pretty plane ride heading out west. I'm glad the weather was good and we could see so much from the air. I actually have pictures from some upcoming flights that I love even more.

:)

It really is interesting to fly out west. The mountains and various rivers really look amazing. I guess it was worth suffering through the 3am wake up call to get there by 9am. Nice!

Hello VGC! NICE!

Too funny about the little guy throwing a fit for not getting wanded. :rotfl2:

Walking into Disneyland by 11:30 am was totally worth the early morning wake up!

We loved the Grand Californian, and I hear the villas are spectacular- really nice views, too.

The boy throwing the fit was very cute, not obnoxious at all. It was a full-out on the floor of the airport tantrum, but silent tears. Poor kid.

:sad:

I'm looking forward to your trip report. :thumbsup2 I've never been to California, so that will be totally new to me. And the one time we stayed on Oahu we took one look at our Waikiki hotel room, then asked if they could move us to the north shore. We get enough of the big city life here.

We like to take the 6am flight to Orlando. It gives us plenty of time for WDW and the afternoon nap is nice, too. Did you get any food to eat on that morning flight?

YAY You started!!
I get that feeling of being not prepared. I felt like that going to Germany. Where are my ADRs and park times and FP+ reservations and lists?? :rotfl:
You're right about long flights, it's nice to kick back and read while there's no guilt. I can't possibly be doing anything else!

The comment Ben made about pitching a fit was hilarious! That's my kinda kid. Your pictures from the airplane are so pretty! It's neat to see the different landscapes from that perspective. The only time that I've flown was in my uncle's small private plane and our scenery didn't look anything like that.

Great pictures from the plane. I'm sure you were so excited at this point in the trip.
Love, love, love the GC. Stayed there for 5 nights and got an upgrade to CA view. WOC everynight from the balcony :lovestruc
Can't wait to read more about this trip.

Dee, a fun update. Although I hate that they changed your flight and you had to get up so early.

I'm not the world's best flyer (although I've gotten much better since I started flying on my own in able to go on my girls trips with Mary) and Vegas at 3-1/2 hours was my longest flight since our honeymoon to Hawaii 31 years ago. I'm thinking if we can swing Disneyland next year, I'll be fine on the flight.

Your son cracks me up "you think that was a fit?" :lmao::lmao::lmao:

So you didn't rent a car? But you were on property so you really didn't need one. Hmmm...something to ponder.

The sign is kind of small compared to what we are used to, yes?

I can't wait to see pics of the resort.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter