A positive sign?

Whoops typo. I meant to say haven’t been known to be an optimist. I have long been one of the people who believes we won’t see cruises until 2022

I sincerely hope you are wrong, but it will just have to play out.

I know many here think I am over optimistic (or stupidly unrealistic), and I have been in the past, but I think Disney is reading the tea leaves and sees an increasingly good looking near-term future. This global picture is changing very fast, in a good way, and the rate of declining cases is actually accelerating in many regions, despite variants being present. There are articles saying the experts don't know why we are seeing such huge declines right now, so I am hesitant to take their predictions on another wave from variants for certain. Don't get me wrong, its very possible, but I don't think it is a given.

there’s an influenza hypothesis called the “hope simpson curve” that details the ebb and flow of epidemics. I’m seeing it mentioned in more circles online now, and it looks possible that sars-cov-2 follows this pattern. Not a debate, just google it and read up on it for your own insight. I’m taking it as a positive sign :flower1:

This article from The Atlantic represents what I think Disney is seeing and their hope that cruising can resume this summer. I'm not predicting it will (stopped trying to do that, after being wrong in the past), just that there is reason for Disney to think it might happen and begin preparing. I understand that there is still the issue of vaccinated crew and places to visit.

My favorite excerpt:

Until very recently, Anthony Fauci had been citing August as the month by which the U.S. could vaccinate 70 to 80 percent of the population and reach herd immunity. Last week, he suddenly threw out May or early June as a window for when most Americans could have access to vaccines. Despite some concerns about new coronavirus variants, Ashish Jha, the dean of the Brown University School of Public Health, told me that he doesn’t see viral mutation as a reason to expect that most people couldn’t be well protected within that time frame.

If all of this holds true, it would mean that many aspects of pre-pandemic life will return even before summer is upon us. Because case numbers guide local policies, much of the country could soon have reason to lift many or even most restrictions on distancing, gathering, and masking. Pre-pandemic norms could return to schools, churches, and restaurants. Sports, theater, and cultural events could resume. People could travel and dance indoors and hug grandparents, their own or others’. In most of the U.S., the summer could feel … “normal.”

A Quite Possibly Wonderful Summer
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/a-quite-possibly-wonderful-summer/ar-BB1dPuUF

there’s an influenza hypothesis called the “hope simpson curve” that details the ebb and flow of epidemics. I’m seeing it mentioned in more circles online now, and it looks possible that sars-cov-2 follows this pattern. Not a debate, just google it and read up on it for your own insight. I’m taking it as a positive sign :flower1:

Almost certainly that is playing a part. But it's my understanding that rates are dropping quicker than we would expect with that alone. Either way, it's great!

Last edited:
I would take this as a positive sign that Disney Is beginning to staff up. I assume it would take at least 4-6 weeks from posting the positions to actual onboarding of staff.

This coupled with the recent marketing email blast has me feeling quite optimistic

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter