A positive sign?

There has been a few reports here and there of cruise lines starting to send employment contracts to existing crew. Whether this means a potential restart in 3 months, 6 months or else... hard to say but yes, good to see that cruise lines are planning ahead.

CC needs maintenance even if ships aren't sailing.

I was going to say the same but didn't want to be a captain buzzkill
same goes for the ships..they have staff turnover or new positions need to be filled due to vacations, new maintenance duties, etc. So new job postings currently don't say much.
I'll be excited when servers or show/entertainment CM's get called back en masse. We know/follow a few on social media so there'll be a lot of chatter when that happens.

That’s a lot of people for one very specific area. Did somebody screw up and a group of people get fired? May be a little too much time on their hands?

I know many here think I am over optimistic (or stupidly unrealistic), and I have been in the past, but I think Disney is reading the tea leaves and sees an increasingly good looking near-term future. This global picture is changing very fast, in a good way, and the rate of declining cases is actually accelerating in many regions, despite variants being present. There are articles saying the experts don't know why we are seeing such huge declines right now, so I am hesitant to take their predictions on another wave from variants for certain. Don't get me wrong, its very possible, but I don't think it is a given. I think/hope Disney is seeing this rapid changes and preparing for the best, with possible sailing this summer.

Bring on the dose or realism...but I am on a hope-for-the-best vibe right now, and it appears Disney is too.

P.S.: This part of the Rec manager job sounds great for the right person:
  • Receptive to island life - living and working on a remote island
This part, not so much. Well, maybe for the right person:
  • Willing to be a member of the Castaway Cay Ride-Out Crew, which will remain on Castaway Cay during a hurricane in order to make pre-storm preparations and perform post storm assessment, recovery and cleanup duties, as directed by DCL (this role will be part of the hurricane ride-out plan)

Last edited:
This part, not so much. Well, maybe for the right person:
  • Willing to be a member of the Castaway Cay Ride-Out Crew, which will remain on Castaway Cay during a hurricane in order to make pre-storm preparations and perform post storm assessment, recovery and cleanup duties, as directed by DCL (this role will be part of the hurricane ride-out plan)

Count me in. Ive always been jealous of Jim Cantore's job whenever a serious hurricane makes landfall in the states.

That’s probably the likeliest scenario right now to be honest. But then I have been known to be an optimist around here.
Though why would so many people leave at one time? I would think they would be spaced out if it was just long term vacation rotation. Seams those people be locals anyway? I’m sure they let contractors go or expire. But there’s been standard island cleaning with the winds and the rains needed to reopen. But it’s too early unless they are the first back, suppose it wasn’t going to be the bartenders back first.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter