• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

A new rumor!

Tri-circle-D

<font color=peach>Throwing some love to TCD<br><fo
Last week, I heard a rumor that the location of the Backyard Barbecue at FW was going to move.

The rumor I heard was that because of a new project that was to be constructed in the old River Country area, the Fort Wilderness pavilion would soon not be used for the Backyard Barbecue, and that this activity would be relocated to the area on Bay Lake behind the 300 loop. My source told me that electric lines were about to be run to this area.

Then, Disboard member Shafke posted this yesterday:

According to Don, there will be some sort of vacation club area over where River Country is. Also, for some time after RC closed the pool was used for life guard training. They would use that pool so that they could train without disturbing other guests. We did not get any details on exactly what was being put in. He also mentioned that the backyard BBQ is going to be moved. I am not sure but I think it is going to be somewhere at the Outpost end of FW.

So, this rumor is making the rounds.

That means TCD must investigate, right?

It just so happens that TCD visited the Fort for dinner on Saturday evening, August 21. It was raining when we arrived, and I didn't think I would get a chance for photos, but the rain stopped just as the sun was setting, and I was able to visit the area along Bay Lake to see if anything was going on there.

Well, guess what?

Something is going on there!

On the way back to the lake from the 300 loop, we spotted this deer:

August2010016.jpg

The view from here is tremendous!:

August2010019.jpg

From where I was standing to take the photo above, I turned to my left and saw this:

August2010020.jpg

August2010022.jpg

And, just behind this bulldozer, there was a big pile of grey PVC pipe:

August2010025.jpg

August2010028.jpg

August2010029.jpg

The lights you see in the background of this photo are from the FW marina:

August2010030.jpg

This is a label from one of the boards that was holding the PVC pipe:

August2010024.jpg

If they are putting a new pavilion here, you can't deny that the view would be spectacular. Here we are looking across the lake at the Magic Kingdom. You can see Cinderella's Castle and Space Mountain:

August2010031.jpg

And, here we see the Contemporary Resort and Bay Lake Tower, looming above Discovery Island:

August2010032.jpg

August2010035.jpg

There are also fresh utility location markers along the canal heading back toward the 300 loop:

August2010036.jpg

August2010038.jpg

August2010039.jpg

August2010040.jpg

Here is a shot from along the canal, looking back toward this site along the edge of the lake:

August2010041.jpg

Some more orange dots:

August2010043.jpg

A lot of folks like to fish here:

August2010044.jpg

Do you see the deer standing to the right of the big cypress tree above?

August2010045.jpg

August2010046.jpg

August2010047.jpg

You can see an orange flag across the canal:

August2010052.jpg

But, there aren't any others leading away from the canal:

August2010054.jpg

So, what do you make of this?

Here's what I think- clearly there are utilities being run to this area near Bay Lake. But, I don't see any plumbing facilities. If they are going to relocate the Backyard Barbecue here, where are the guests going to go to the bathroom? It's a long walk from here to the Settlement. Also, the Backyard Barbecue has kitchen facilities adjacent to it. Are they going to build those here, too? If so, they will need plumbing for that. Whatever this is, I am not buying the rumor that this is where the Backyard BBQ is going.

But, then, what is going on here?

Does anyone know anything?

TCD

Brian told me back in June that the pavilion was being moved over there and that the barn was moving up front. He said from Clementines Beach to the west was going to be this new dvc place. I saw some goings on out by the front entrance of the fort that looks like a road coming in which would most likely be the entrance to this resort. I really hope it doesn't happen especially if it destroys the beautiful oaks that line the exercise trail.

Aw, crap!! (I'm saying this a lot today). This was my favorite spot to view the fireworks from! If they build the BYBBQ here, where will the late evening wagon rides stop to view the fireworks? If I were staying on 100-300 loops, I'd be very pizzed off to hear all the commotion from the BYBBQ!! Those folks get L-O-U-D!! This is not a good idea, IMHO. :headache:

Brian told me back in June that the pavilion was being moved over there and that the barn was moving up front. He said from Clementines Beach to the west was going to be this new dvc place. I saw some goings on out by the front entrance of the fort that looks like a road coming in which would most likely be the entrance to this resort. I really hope it doesn't happen especially if it destroys the beautiful oaks that line the exercise trail.

The person who told this rumor to me also heard it from Brian. You would think that he would know, so I do put some weight on it. Add to that all the survey markers that have popped up around there, and there sure seems to be something to this.

As for the location of this new resort, I originally thought it didn't make sense to put it so close to Fort Wilderness, when there is plenty of space between Fort Wilderness and Wilderness Lodge. But, as I thought about it, putting this resort right up against FW would allow Disney to use the FW marina for these guests, and maybe even the FW bus system. Wouldn't want to inconvenience the WL guests with this added traffic, would we? But what are the scummy campers at the Fort going to do about it?

Aw, crap!! (I'm saying this a lot today). This was my favorite spot to view the fireworks from! If they build the BYBBQ here, where will the late evening wagon rides stop to view the fireworks? If I were staying on 100-300 loops, I'd be very pizzed off to hear all the commotion from the BYBBQ!! Those folks get L-O-U-D!! This is not a good idea, IMHO. :headache:

Agreed. As I already noted, they are going to need restroom facilities for these guests. And, remember, they just completed a mini project in the old RC area where they removed part of Pop's Place to make a waiting area and allow easier access to the old RC restrooms for Backyard BBQ guests. Why would they have done that (spent money) if they were just going to tear it all down?

I wonder how they are going to get folks back here. It is a bit of a hike from the marina to here. And, it is even more of a hike, in fact, it is a considerable distance from the Settlement Bus Stop to here. The 300 loop bus stop is closer by far. Are Backyard BBQ guests going to be directed to the 300 loop bus stop? The 300 loop comfort station? Not good if you are camping on the 300 loop.

TCD

Can I insert some wishful thinking here? Maybe, just maybe.....they are building a FOOD COURT??? Nah....that would make too much sense.

I wondered about the mini reno to the old RC area, too. Maybe, they are going to somehow tie the 100, 200, and 300 loops together? Maybe,,,,,FtWGuy was right about the 3000 loop - but just had the wrong location?

Perhaps they are building new parking lot for day visitors to have easy access to the existing facilities without intruding on a camper's site to park?

Oh, the things we must ponder!

I agree with you Deb,,"Well CRAP",,there goes more of "what little fishing area" we have left :sad1:
These never been a time that we've been to the Fort that we didn't watch the fireworks or fish from that spot.
(it's a secret spot ya know,,don't tell anyone about it)
But I'd be willing to forgive if it's a Food Court. Yeah right,,like Bobby I. would do something like that after ruining all the food/food menu's at Disney.

Definitely looks like they are getting ready to lay some nice size electric lines in that 4" conduit. Something is about to happen. When I was there in May I saw what I am pretty sure were wetland delineation borings there too.

As for a possible DVC resort (if it is destined to happen) I would love to see a resort consisting of 1 to 3 bedroom cottages/cabins....something that really integrated with the surroundings, instead of a clearcut, huge resort, and native plants scattered about.

Interesting stuff there TCD. I thought I noticed more orange flags on the opposite side of the canal while fishing there early this weekend. Down past the bend in your photo leading further down that stretch of grass. I could be mistaking it for the one you pictured though.

If this rumor is true, wouldn't they need to change the name of the Backyard BBQ to Mickey's Waterfront BBQ?

Definitely looks like they are getting ready to lay some nice size electric lines in that 4" conduit. Something is about to happen. When I was there in May I saw what I am pretty sure were wetland delineation borings there too.

As for a possible DVC resort (if it is destined to happen) I would love to see a resort consisting of 1 to 3 bedroom cottages/cabins....something that really integrated with the surroundings, instead of a clearcut, huge resort, and native plants scattered about.

Is this a normal construction practice? To just run electric before any site work or anything else is done? If a new building is going in here, that would be different from how things normally seem to be done, but what do I know?

Interesting stuff there TCD. I thought I noticed more orange flags on the opposite side of the canal while fishing there early this weekend. Down past the bend in your photo leading further down that stretch of grass. I could be mistaking it for the one you pictured though.

It is entirely possible you saw flags further down the canal. I don't understand why there are any over there, though. It would seem they could run whatever they needed to run in from the 300 loop, or from the Settlement area.

If this rumor is true, wouldn't they need to change the name of the Backyard BBQ to Mickey's Waterfront BBQ?

I thought you were going to say it was the Iranian Nuclear Fission project.

And, this area could arguably be considered to be in the backyard of some of the 300 loop sites.

Arguably.

TCD

I am not sure if this is good or not. If the DVC is going there and moving the BBQ it seems like they will tear out so much area that makes the Fort so special!

Well if the rumor is true I think it kinda stinks. What a nice quiet, peaceful area back there and they are going to ruin it. We enjoy taking walks back there. Plus putting in DVC at the old River Country. I don't think that is good news for the Fort. :headache:
Just my 2 cents. Probably not even worth 2 cents, maybe 1 cent.

I guess time will tell.

I'd love to see a Food Court at the Fort.....but don't you think that Disney is afraid that it would not make too much money there? Most people that are camping bring all their own food and eat in their campers if they are in the campground....for the most part anyways.

I'd love to see a Food Court at the Fort.....but don't you think that Disney is afraid that it would not make too much money there? Most people that are camping bring all their own food and eat in their campers if they are in the campground....for the most part anyways.

You'd be surprised how many folks in their campers DO NOT bring their own food.

Yes, at other campgrounds where the purpose of the trip is to enjoy the amenities of the campground and hang around the camper more, it is more common to bring your food and cook.

However, at Disney, it is probably just as common for folks to eat out a lot more than other camping trips.

I have read about LOTS of folks here that get the dining plan. I have also read where lots of folks say, yes they are bringing the camper BUT, this is vacation and they are NOT cooking!!

We also tend to only cook 1 or 2 meals at the campground and eat out most of our meals.

You'd be surprised how many folks in their campers DO NOT bring their own food.

Plus there are 200-ish cabins and not all those folks bring their own food. We would definitely frequent a proper food court at the Fort. :thumbsup2

And, this area could arguably be considered to be in the backyard of some of the 300 loop sites.

Ugh - not in MY backyard. We usually camp in 300 right over on the canal side. Somehow I doubt the wonderful bushes our favorite sites back up to would screen out a whole lotta hoopla. :scared:

Ah, but time (and TCD) will tell...

our luck thier building a private bridge from the new upity Golden Oaks community lined with yellow bricks and gold with thier own private Tuscan cafe (snobby for food court) half way between thier homes and the use of our docks which will be shut down on the top of each hour for these folks to exclusively use :rotfl2:

....and as for River country, it will be the same concept only for DVC members with no access to thier resort for us campers due to the fact that they wouldn't want to encourage pool hopping at a DVC resort. Entering the resort and pool would require a magical gold key that we would never be allowed to have... just thought I'd make a little fun of the situation.

Hail to us fort fiends

our luck thier building a private bridge from the new upity Golden Oaks community lined with yellow bricks and gold with thier own private Tuscan cafe (snobby for food court) half way between thier homes and the use of our docks which will be shut down on the top of each hour for these folks to exclusively use :rotfl2:

You know ... I wonder if some of those home sites were going to back up to Bay Lake. There goes the beautiful forest view from the 300 loop. They will probably build a ginormous block fence so the hoity-toity's don't have to be subjected to trailer trash.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter