A little sad my 9 yr old twins don't want to go to Disney

kly

Earning My Ears
I have enjoyed Disney since my first visit 35 years ago.
I was planning a family vacation in Spring '18 and my 9 year old twins told me they don't want to go back to Disney. They prefer a cruise or Hawaii (they have never been there). I figure we take a break for a few years and see if the magic comes back.
I then decided to book a short 4-day Disney trip with our 4 year old next week while the twins are in camp and they didn't even care that they are not going. So sad :(
On a good note, I'm now happy I didn't buy into the DVC that we were thinking about.
Have any of you experienced something similar with you kids as they grow a little older?

Last edited:
My 13yo is as obsessed with Disney now as she was when she was 5yo, but don't go every year. Trips to the parks are usually every other year. We've done 4 Disney cruises. We've also vacationed other places to break it up. We went to Boston and Cape Cod one year, Hawaii another. We went to Chicago last month and are headed to Williamsburg, VA next month.

I think you are on the right path with taking a break for a couple years and try out other vacation destinations. If they want a cruise, why not look into a Disney cruise? Maybe the best of both worlds?

Whoa, wow. No. 9 seems so young to be done with Disney. DGD is 9 and she still gets pouty when DH and I go without her (she and DD live with us) though she accepts it better now.
I do know that some just don't get the gene. There's no explaining it. Sort of like how some like sports, some don't.
Hopefully the 4 yo will keep your love of Disney. I bet you'll have a blast

I'm hoping I have a few more years, at least, before we reach that point with my 7 y/o! This is our main hesitation in buying DVC. If I was sure that Disney would be our go-to vacation for years to come, I can see how DVC would make sense for our family. But while I never tire of Disney, I fear that it may not be an inherited trait!

My twins didn't want to go back either between 6 and 9. So we went and left the kids at home (well actually, we just booked to go for a week when the grandparents took the kids on holdiday). They weren't huge ride fans and didn't like the long flight from the UK.

Then overnight when they hit 10 they were BEGGING to go back. They're 11 now and we're going back in August - they are really excited! They're more into rides now.

I doubt they're done with Disney - maybe they just need a break!

After taking my now 8 year old DS on his 1st Disney vacation ever, to Disneyland last year, he was like "why do we need to go again?"
By the time I can afford another trip, which should be a couple more years from now, I hope that he has changed his tune.

Actually, no. My kids are 13 and 19 and are still huge Disney fans.

You will have lots of fun either in a cruise or in Hawaii- we have done both and they are great. Hawaii was way more expensive than Disney for us (and that was only the airfare-we stayed with family in Hawaii and didn't even have to pay for a hotel). If it weren't for the cost and flying time from the East coast, we'd do Hawaii again.

Can you take a Disney cruise or stay at Aulani? (I know- very expensive way to do either!)

I like your plan to take your younger one to Disney. Honestly, if no one in my family wanted to go to WDW I would figure out a way to go there without them.

Hmmmmm, that's a tough one. I'm not sure if I'd trust a 9 year old to know what they'll want to do a year from now. But then I can't imagine telling my mom at age 9 that I'd prefer to go to Hawaii or on a cruise. That likely wouldn't have gone over too well.

If you're going solely for their benefit, then maybe it's time to consider other option. If you and your husband want to go, then I'd say you have the deciding vote. If they don't want to go, they can stay with Grandma (or whoever).

Have you vacationed in other places as well? Variety isn't a bad thing. Age 10 can be a great time for the great American road trip.

My daughter will be 17 when we go this fall and she still looks forward to it as much as ever.

My oldest child (almost 15) is the biggest Disney fan of all my kids. Second child (age 12) loves it, but also enjoys visiting other places. I have ten year old twins that are okay with Disney. They have fun when we go, but would rather go somewhere else.

I did not experience that but some do. Now in their 20's I have a fan and two super fans. I am so glad you booked a trip with your 4 year old, great age for there, as there is no reason they should lose out on the magic because the others don't want to go. I think you may find your 4 year old will catch the bug being just the two changes the dynamics of the trip. The others will likely come back around, kids can cycle.

No offense meant, DH is twin I've known since teen, nieces are twins now 19 ............ sometimes I sense this one for all thing ... one has thought, other runs with it and suddenly there is a positive or negative reaction to something that seems more than it should be. That may not make any sense, but if they began a conversation, could be it became over-reactive to something x 2. Or as I remember with both my ... one has an idea, the other starts to implement and suddenly it's unified front and it's a "where did this come from?"

And I also remember my kids at that age ..... spring break was usually Disney or staying home while most the kids at their school were on cruises or going to Hawaii. By time middle school came I swear mine were the only two that hadn't done either. It's an age where kids begin to talk about that stuff and maybe they are being made to feel Disney is for babies while their classmates are "traveling". :confused3

Last edited:
I think part of the issue is that around that age (9/10) kids start to worry about what classmates and friends will think of them going to Disney. Many still think it's just for little kids.

I have a two super fans - 15 and 17. The eldest is even planning to go to WDW with her BFF next summer as their high school graduation celebration! It definitely is our happy place. I do know that my younger DD got a little moody one trip - and I realized it was because she felt she wasn't in on the planning side. (My older DD and I do all the detail pre-planning obsessing. :rotfl2: So, I make sure that I have at least one day that's all the younger ones choices. I make sure to ask her for a restaurant suggestion & what her favourite rides are etc.

Sometimes the mid-child/Tweens feel they have no say in trip decisions. Especially if they have a parent that is OCD trip planner.

It's a little different for us being from Canada -- the treat is to fly to Florida. Not many people do Hawaii - unless you live on west coast.

May be a phase. Phases happen. 12 yo DD is bonkers I am taking her on a last minute mother/daughter getaway before 7th grade.

I think a lot of it has to do with "what the other kids are doing". My kids love Disney, but they did tell me after Christmas that "all of the other kids go skiing so we should go skiing next Christmas".

My son is 36 and still loves going as much as he did at 3. Now if he didn't when he was young, tough luck kid, I'm the mom and you are not so suck it up until you are old enough to pay for it. Seriously, I'm not sure I'd go that far but I don't think I ever asked him where he wanted to go on vacation and I can't recall a place we ever went that he ended up being a brat about it. I know we were never asked where we wanted to go when we were kids, I can't tell you how many camping trips I went to as a kid and wasn't overly thrilled to be there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter