A Heaping Helping of Disney with a Side Dish of Drama - June 2013 TR

I also love the little details in Storybook Circus! But how strange that your Dumbo had a mind of its own!
I have the phone case like that Steamboat Willie journal! I love it.
I also love the Laugh Floor, but only once a trip. ;)
I wonder why Tink didn't fly... :confused3 how strange!
Oh MAN what a terrible time with your room keys!! I'm glad they agreed to transport you back and make sure your keys worked!!

So I took some time off from the DISboards as you can tell. Life has really gotten in the way and not in a good way. This July and August have been hard months for me and as such, I just kinda snuck away but I am back now and ready to DIS again.

If you would like to rejoin me for this TR, I'll post another update sometime today (after I read it again to find out where we are..... :rolleyes1)

Day 2 - Blizzard Beach

We have never been to a Disney waterpark and actually had never been to any large waterpark since DS7 was about 1. We weren't really sure what to expect because honestly neither one really knows how to swim and DS11 has a fear of heights (or at least we thought he did....).

I don't have many pictures of this day because I didn't take my camera or my phone with me and of course, I can't seem to find our PP pics from this morning. But I did send out one picture on Facebook to our family back home of my feet on that day.....

with a caption that said, "My embarrassing outfit of the day.... A sundress with water shoes.....hello people of Walmart..."

We headed out and boarded a bus to Blizzard Beach. It was already a warm day by the time we got there so we decided to take a dip in the lazy river first to cool off. Cool off isn't the word for that lazy river in the morning at the end of May. It was COLD.....bitterly COLD.....but we decided to give it a shot anyways. Dh and I walked across the lazy river and grabbed tubes for all four of us. DS7 was SCREAMING about being scared and not wanting to fall through the tube or get water in his eyes but finally we convinced him to climb in.

SPOILER ALERT!!!!! -- About halfway around the lazy river (which is HUGE by the way), we see a house and you can hear someone humming in it from far away. Then you hear "Ah ah achoo!!!!" and water flies out everywhere.

Not my picture since I didn't have my camera! Picture courtesy of the internet!

So being the good mom that I am, I decided to wait until he had "achooed" to run by with DS7 so he didn't get wet. Good in thought BUT as we were running by the house, he sneezed really fast without any warning and we were drenched with water. At that point DS7 began to belly laugh the biggest laughs of the entire trip and I knew that we would be o.k. for the rest of the day.

When we finished the entire loop of the lazy river, we got out and let the kids play at the Ski Patrol Training Camp. Tike's Peak seemed a little TOO young for the youngest and DS11 couldn't go there so we figured Ski Patrol was our area.

Again not my photo....Thank you Disney for having photos online!

They rode the slides in this area for about an hour before it began to get crowded. For the first 30 -45 minutes, they would slide and immediately take their tube back to the top to slide again with no wait. DH and I even slid on them a few times to keep cool. Once the lines began to form we decided that we would go try other things in the park.

We headed across the park looking at the rides as we passed them. First we passed the Downhill Double Dipper.

You know the drill....this isn't my picture.....Thank you MickeyXtreme for this one.

DS11 said that he didn't want to do those because the slides were closed in. At this point I began to worry about our Beach Club reservation since Storm Along Bay is also closed in.

Next we found the Toboggan Racers and DS11 got so excited about riding it except that he's afraid of heights remember???? And these are pretty high up there....

Credit - MickeyXtreme

I waited at the bottom with DS7 because he wanted to watch one time before he decided if he was brave enough to do it. DS11 climbed to the top, laid down his mat, and pushed off when they told him to. He got to the bottom with the biggest smile on his face so excited and ready to do it again. We decided to do it one more time as a family and then have lunch. It was a lot of fun!!

What will we do after lunch? Will the crowds get to be to big to do any rides?

Day 2 - Typhoon Lagoon/CBR Pool Party/ Dinner at POFQ/Putt putt (whew!)

After lunch the boys wanted to go back to the Ski Patrol area. I tried to convince DH to go ride something "big" but he was just content to stay with us at the kiddie area.

About thirty minutes later, he suggests that we ride the big family raft ride "up there" and he points WAY up there! After looking at the map, we saw that it was named "Teamboat Springs" and we started to try to figure out how to get up there. My one complaint about Blizzard Beach is that it's hard to navigate. There are signs but they are vague arrows and once you leave the arrow you don't really know where to go at the next split. SO after a little while we were lost, really lost. When we asked a CM for directions, they pointed to this......

....ummmm, really???? But we have a child afraid of heights. What if he freaks out in the chair on the way up??? The CM also offered that there was a different way up there but that it included 180 steps to the top. DS11 looked at me and said, "Let's take the chairs mom. It looks fun!" FUN!?!?!? FUN!?!?! This mom was slightly freaked out! I was also worried that he would freak out mid trip and have some kind of panic attack. What if he caused us to fall? *Breathe......* Off we went to find the chairs and to our luck there was really no line.

I took DS7 with me and DH took DS11 with him. Those things move SOOOO slow! We did eventually make it to the top and I'm happy to report that they both handled the chair lift REALLY well. However, Mom and Dad decided that they rather climb 180 steps instead of riding that chair lift EVER again!

We walked up and onto the ride all going straight to hopping in the raft. It was such a great ride with my little one belly laughing the whole way down while I tried to hold him down.

Here's a picture of some other family riding it.

After getting off, we decided that we definitely had to ride it again so we ran up the 180 steps and got in the line. This time we had a short 10 minutes wait for the ride. While we waited, we found Tower of Terror, the Epcot ball and the tree of life all in the sky line. Never once did DS11 EVER have any trouble with the height. I guess he isn't afraid of heights after all. We loved the ride the second time as much as we did the first time.

After we got to the bottom, we decided that it was time to go back to our resort and relax for a little while before going eat dinner. We headed out to the bus stop and a bus was waiting for us. Yay for bus pixie dust!

As soon as we got back to our resort, the boys decided that we needed to go down to the pool for the pool party. :faint: So down we went.....I was tired of the water so I changed into shorts and a t-shirt. I would regret this later because it was HOT HOT HOT!

I know he doesn't match but he HAD TO HAVE both of the pieces of that outfit and he wears them proudly. The top is a Batman cover up and the bottom is pirates. Those two match right?

DS11 was reclining in a lounge chair playing "Name that tune - Disney Style" so I tried to help. Sometimes you had to name the part of the park that the song was played in and we didn't know those. We lost but had fun either way.

After "Name that Tune", DS11 decided to dip in the pool.

He tried out the slide a few times and enjoyed it. They announced that the pool party was starting and that every child who participated in it would get a prize at the end of the hour. This will cause us trouble later but for now we start the party!

Here is DS11 hulahooping during the party.

He was pretty good at it.

One last picture of him hulahooping

DS7 wasn't as good at it but he enjoyed it as well.

He did get his hulahoop going for a little while.

After the hulahoop competition, they had a grab the duck game.

All of the kids sat on the edge of the zero entry part as the CM's threw toys into the pool. After all the toys were thrown, the CM's would holler go and everyone would try to grab as many as they could.

Grabbing ducks

It's HOT!!!

After the "grabbing the ducks" game, we decided that it was entirely too hot to be out at the Pool Party. We were tired of water and ready to be in our room but DS7 was determined to get a "prize" at the end of the party. I FINALLY convinced him to leave by offering to get him a treat later in the trip. I knew that it would cost me A LOT more than the trinkets that they give as prizes would cost Disney but it was worth it to get out of the heat.

Pictures from our walk back to our room....

And we have one sad little boy with no prize from the party.

Up next - Dinner, Putt Putt, Fireworks and our first drink of the trip!!!

I'm glad to see you update Bridget!! I hope you catch a break soon!

A waterpark AND the pool! You have little water babies. :) We went to BB this last trip and it was far too crowded and blazing hot to really enjoy everything they have to offer. But we did a few of the slides. And there's no way I would have climbed the 180 steps! Our lazy butts went up the lift! Glad you didn't have any issues with your son freaking out on the lift... that would have been a tough one.

Bribery is fully endorsed by this mom!! :thumbsup2

Hi Bridget! I'm on my phone so can't catch up now, but wanted to say how happy I am to see an update!!! I know you've been straight out with school starting again, but yay for being back in here!!!!

I'm glad to see you update Bridget!! I hope you catch a break soon!

A waterpark AND the pool! You have little water babies. :) We went to BB this last trip and it was far too crowded and blazing hot to really enjoy everything they have to offer. But we did a few of the slides. And there's no way I would have climbed the 180 steps! Our lazy butts went up the lift! Glad you didn't have any issues with your son freaking out on the lift... that would have been a tough one.

Bribery is fully endorsed by this mom!! :thumbsup2

Thanks for sticking with me! I really should finish this one up soon as we are back in Disney in just 60 days!!! EEK! I can't wait!

My boys did really become water babies this past year. Before that they were pretty afraid of the water, but we have come oh so far! One of their absolute favorite parts of this trip was the water park day!

Nope he didn't freak out and I kept telling myself to breathe, just breathe. It made me SOOOOO nervous!

I'm enjoying your newest TR!!

Hi Bridget! I'm on my phone so can't catch up now, but wanted to say how happy I am to see an update!!! I know you've been straight out with school starting again, but yay for being back in here!!!!

Thanks Dee for checking in!!! I'm enjoying your TR as well!

After leaving the oh so hot pool party, we decided to change and go to dinner. Although there were lots of choices at Old Port Royale, we had special plans on this night. We love the food at Port Orleans French Quarter for dinner. So off we went to eat our dinner under the scariest "villain" on Disney property.....

that guy. Geez, could they have used a cuter man?

At night, POFQ has special dinner plates that are not available during any other time. This is the fried chicken plate which is half a chicken, a piece of cornbread and two sides. The mashed potatoes are mine and the rice dish is my DS11's. We shared this plate along with many many other's this time.

DS7 finished his dinner rather quickly and decided that it was time to entertain us. So we suddenly had ourselves a little modeling session.

"Take my picture momma."

:lmao: Our family lovingly calls him GQ because he is always posing and modeling for us. He's a goofball and we wouldn't have it any other way.

CONTINUED IN NEXT POST

After dinner, we wanted to try something new so we went to play putt putt at the Winter Summerland Course. We chose the summer side and I must say that this is the best course I have ever played on. It is so well detailed!

Great ready for picture overload!

Oh my sweet goofballs!

DS 7 still talks about the fish that would squirt us as we played. They wer so cute.

This castle caused me problems. My ball did not want to go in!

The ball would go in at the bottom and this thing twisted it up further and further.

It's almost at the top now. Notice it's a South Pole at the South Hole. The details on this course are amazing!

And out pops your ball headed towards the hole!

This is DS7's "NO MORE PICTURES!!!" face. I had to beg and plead and fuss for this one. I wanted a good one to use as a Christmas card picture possibly but I had no such luck. They were wearing out and wearing down but we still had more day left!

We still had one more first planned for this day. The boys weren't so sure if they really wanted to go with us. They just wanted to go back to the pool. :scared1:

Now remember, we've been to Blizzard Beach, our CBR pool party, dinner, putt putt.....and we have one more surprise. Would we actually make it there? Would we just go "home" and rest?

Are the pictures sideways for ya'll?? :confused3 I turned them ALL in photobucket and saved. Ugh! Going try to figure out what I did wrong.

Awesome update! Love that you have a GQ model.
I seld have luck getting a Christmas card picture while in vacation. I don't think I have ever been successful. Either they are too excited and their faces look goofy or they are too tired and they look cranky.
Can't wait for the next update.

Awesome update! Love that you have a GQ model.
I seld have luck getting a Christmas card picture while in vacation. I don't think I have ever been successful. Either they are too excited and their faces look goofy or they are too tired and they look cranky.
Can't wait for the next update.

My little man is always posing!!

Yes that Christmas card photo was not meant to be!

The next update may be a little later tonight! It won't be big but it will finish out the evening!

Exhausted and tired, we are heading "home" right? WRONG!!! We are headed here......

Where's that?? Hmmm.....

Does this help?

Or how about this incredibly blurry photo of my boys here?

Yes we are at the Poly. The boys couldn't understand why but DH and I knew that you could see and hear the fireworks from the beach without fighting the crowds of MK.

We were a little early so we all grabbed snacks from Captain Cook's and enjoyed them outside on the patio. After eating our snacks DH went to the bar looking for a drink. He asked if I wanted one but I told him no since I had driven us there. He couldn't decide what to order but finally decided upon a Banana Cabana. I took a tiny sip and immediately regretted driving to the resort. That drink was HEAVENLY!!! :cloud9: He offered to come back later in the week to get me one.

We went out to the sand to stake out some chairs around 8:30. There was a movie on for the kids right next to the chairs. DS 11 walked over to watch the movie while DS7 "fought off bad guys" on the beach as we waited for the fireworks.

Suddenly you could make out boats on the water and I got REALLY excited because I had forgotten about the boat parade!!

Here are some of the photos of the parade....

These pictures don't even begin to do the parade justice. The way the lights move and the music that plays is really nice!

And up next, we have fireworks people!! Sadly we weren't close enough to the speakers to hear it really well and I didn't want to move mid-show but we could hear bits and pieces of the music as we watched the fireworks.

Here are my photos from the fireworks...

And suddenly out of no where TINK flies on the wire. Now we really couldn't see her but we could see the bright green glow and the glow soared through the air. DH and I both looked at each and said at the same time, "She still flies." I was now more determined to see her fly again in person.

After the fireworks we hopped in our car and headed home. Baths and bed for everyone because tomorrow is a BIG BIG day!! We move to the Beach Club after seeing Animal Kingdom all day!

Great pictures of the fireworks & water parade. i love the water parade. We had a great view of it this trip too.
I'm glad you all enjoyed the day so much! I want to watch a movie from one of the pools one of these days. That just sound unique enough to make is special. :goodvibes

Great pictures of the fireworks & water parade. i love the water parade. We had a great view of it this trip too.
I'm glad you all enjoyed the day so much! I want to watch a movie from one of the pools one of these days. That just sound unique enough to make is special. :goodvibes

DS11 enjoyed the whole night so much that now it's his goal to stay at the Poly. I guess it's a good thing that they are DVC there. :thumbsup2

enjoying! your boys are adorable. My son loves putt putt,we may have to try it in November.

Thanks!! My boys are a handful but they are great kids!

Putt putt is rather expensive (adult $14 and kids $12) but luckily it's half off with an annual pass so we finally agreed to do it. We will be playing the winter side when we go for Thanksgiving week. Can't wait to see the theming on that side.

So we got up early that morning, threw our bags in the SUV, and hopped on a bus to .....

By the looks of it, EVERYONE else at Disney ended up there as well! While "stuck" outside, I took a pic of these pretty flowers.

We were let in and off to the races to get Fastpasses for Safari

but as we came over the bridge at Oasis, we saw this.....

YES!! It really DID start today!! YAY!!! The boys were so excited about getting a book and going on an "adventure".

Now with our books in hand, we head off to Safari along with 8 million other people.....

Think I'm exaggerating?

O.k. so maybe it's a SMALL exaggeration but Animal Kingdom was packed!!! It was a "Best Park" but somehow I think that was a wrong recommendation.

Another pic of the tree of life and off we go!

Random photos along the way....

We grabbed FPs because the line was too long to ride. After grabbing FP's we decided to start working on our badges.

The stations that we did were really neat and there was almost always an adult around to help you out if you got stuck or to hand out your badge. DS11 did really well with it and had no trouble at all but it was a bit advanced for DS7 so we helped him quite a bit.

There were things for us to look for or to answer at each trail marker. This was the first time we had ever been on the trails at AK and I really enjoyed them. I hope to take the trails with the tigers in November as it was too hot to do those after we finished these first ones.

A picture of one of the answers....

The backside of water....oh never mind wrong ride.....

Naked mole rats....see the extremely large about to pop one?? Yep she's pregnant!! They were waiting for her to deliver while we were there. Sadly we had to move on and missed that biology lesson! :lmao:

This guy was in the same room as the naked mole rats. We were VERY impressed with all of the handlers and how knowledgeable they were about each animal in their care. They were also very patient with each of my boys and their thousand's of questions.

Can you find the little bird building the nest?

Here's a blurry picture of him. This was another badge for us to earn on this trail. We did earn quite a few by going down it. Sadly, for a couple of them the person who gives out the badge did not have to be at their post until 10 a.m. and since we were before that time, we did not get our sticker.

I think this was one of the spots where we completed the page in our books but don't have a badge.

I loved watching the gorillas. They were up and moving about, foraging and eating.

CONTINUED IN NEXT POST

After completing the trail, it was time to use our fastpasses for Safari so we got into line. I remember that we still had a small wait but nothing too long and soon we were viewing the animals!!

Here are a few of my pictures from the ride.....

The giraffes were SUPER close this day and being at the front of the truck we were able to get great pictures of them.

After riding Safari we were going to head to the back part (Affection section and all that) by train but that part was closed for some reason so we kept walking.

What should we do now?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter