A Bad National Experience

Poly Pal

DIS Veteran
We just returned from Tampa where we rented for 8 days from National. It was the first bad experience I've had after being a loyal National customer and Emerald Club member since 1987 (inaugural member!)

We arrived at TPA around 11:30 a.m. on 2/15. Our reservation was for a Full Size car with Emerald Aisle service. We were the only customers at National and there were 2 women manning the 2 exit booths. After scanning the Aisle (Mitsubishi Gallant, several Mitsubishi Lancers, a Cavalier, a Malibu and a Grand Am), I went over to the booth to explain that I had a reservation for a Full Size car (Buick Regal or equivalent per National's web site) and asked if more were going to be brought up. The woman who I spoke to was down right nasty to me and said "There's a Malibu over there - that's a full size car." I countered that the Malibu is a mid-size car similar to the Grand Am. She screamed, "The only thing we are obligated to give you is an intermediate size car!"

So, thinking but not saying that their obligation was to honor my reservation, I asked if she would at least call to see if there were any larger cars being brought down to the garage and indicated that we were willing to wait if there were. (There were no full size, luxury, or SUV's in the other row either. There was a dirty, white Buick LeSabre, a "premium class" car parked in the "Luxury" spaces, but even that was not offered up.) She made the call grudgingly and barked at me, "There are no larger cars coming!" Then she said, "There's a Lumina all the way at the end of the row." Now the garage was dark and I guess I missed seeing it. When I did see the car, I thought it belonged to a National employee since it was not clean.

We settled on the dark green Lumina. The car was obviously a smoking car and National must have run out of Fabreeze. The car may have been run through an automatic car wash, but no one bothered to pay attention to the lower body panels which were dirty. The interior windows were dirty as was the rear view mirror. The car had not been vacumed, the upholstery was dirty, there was a used drinking straw in the trunk, the car had no windshield washer fluid, was down 1.5 quarts of oil, was dented on the front fender with no damage shown on the sign-out, had the wrong mileage recorded, and leaked water when it rained. I can't tell you what model year the car was since there was no registration in the car. But, Chevy no longer makes the Lumina.

This was a vacation rental and was very disappointing. The rate was good with the DC discount and coupon for one free day, but I would have paid more for a less aggravating experience and a car in better condition. The sad thing is that the day we left, the company I work for announced that after over at least 12 years, we were switching from National to Avis and Hertz for our business rentals and I was actually a little upset! Well, my wife and I were eyeing all of the nice, clean cars in the Hertz row which is right next to National at TPA. I will definitely be shopping around for my next rental!

The Malibu is a full size car according to National. It appears they had the type of car you had reserved on the aisle. I agree with you that the woman should have been much polieter in responding to your inquiries, but they were not obligated to bring you anything larger than what was on the aisle since the Malibu is their interpretation of a full size. I am not sure how you are suppose to know that a Malibu is a full size, but I have inquired enough times at enough locations nationwide that I know that it is.

Carol A,

I've e-mailed National for a clarification, BUT the Malibu is built on the same frame as the Grand Am, which National says is an intermediate. I've never seen Malibu's in the "Full Size" Emerald Choice parking spots either and I rent at least once a month for business or vacation. (Plus, I had the unfortunate experience of having a Malibu delivered to my company's garage for a pick-up last summer. It was a piece of junk. (Sorry Chevy fans!))

I'll let you know if I get a reply from National.

Poly Pal

I booked an intermediate non-EA a couple of years ago (had an upgrade coupon from compact) and there were no cars on the intermediate aisle when I arrived. An attendant pulled a Malibu off the full size aisle and gave it to me. I didn't think it was full size either, about the same size as my own Grand Am, but my receipt said full size. When I was there in December, at least half of the cars on the full size aisle were Malibu's. I wouldn't consider them full size, but apparently National does. Regarding the Lumina, I understand they manufactured them for 2001 for rental car companies & corporate fleets only. I had a new one last May from National (1,000 miles) and thought that they had been phased out too.

We had a similar experience this past Christmas. We had reserved a full size and when we arrived on Christmas day there were only two cars on the full size aisle. There was a family getting into the four door. The only other one was a 2 door Grand Am. I wanted to get a four door midsize or go back to the booth to see if anything else was available but my husband said just take the one that was there. Well you should have seen my son try to get in the back seat of the car He's too tall for it but we got in and off we went. I agree I thought the car was less than clean and if it wasn't Chrristmans and we weren't exhausted we might have done something else.We drove the car for two days when the Engine light came on so we contacted National from the BC explained the situation and went to get a new car. the agent tried to give us a mid-size because we had the grand am but we held out for a full size. Once again the car ws anything but clean windows etc. Although the service was fine I was less then pleased with the quality of the car and will think twice about renting from Naational again.

For the fun of it, I pulled out the Consumer Report auto issue from last year. Here's the scoop on the Malibu:

Malibu 190 long x 69 wide
Grand Am 186 x 70 (National benchmark for intermediate)
Regal 196 x 73 (National benchmark for full size)
Intrigue 196 x 74 (I got an Intrigue off the full size aisle in December)
Camry 189 x 70 (I got a Camry off the full size 2 years ago)

I've always had pretty good experiences at National, the cars have been pretty clean. I always get a good price by reserving for my December and May trips in the fall. I paid $107 for the week, full size EA December 2000 & last May, $114 for last December, I have this May booked for $137. That is Disney Club, 1 free weekend day coupon.

Golly, Debbie B! Thanks for going to the trouble of looking up all of those dimensions! I still do not think the Malibu is comparable to the Regal/Century, Intrique, or Grand Prix which is what National advertise on their web site. The Malibu is a little longer than a Grand Am but that could be because the bumper has a different, more protruding shape than the sleeker, sportier Grand Am. More important is the width dimension. Anyway, I did not mean to start a debate.

National Customer Service did get back to me already. They apologized for not having a properly prepared car for me and is refunding $50.00. So I feel better, but those Hertz cars still looked alot nicer than all of those Mitsubishi Lancers that national seems to have stocked up on!

I agree the Malibu is not comparable to a Regal or Intrigue and shouldn't be full size. I just looked it up because I was curious how it actually compared, whether it was actually the same as Grand Am or just my perception. I was surprised the Camry was actually about the same size, it seemed bigger to me.

Glad to hear you got some money back. They had a bunch of Lancers on the EA when I was there in December and I wasn't impressed either.

I also had a bad experience with National once. We left an item in the car and then National denied it was ever there. Eventually they reimbursed us for the value after much wrangling. On the other hand I have had good experience with National also. My main question to all of you is - don't you find Hertz and Avis to be much more expensive than National. I alsways do. Maybe these two have the staff to maintain their cars better due to the higher rental costs. What do you think?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter