9/16/2017 Magic Transatlantic from Barcelona

I'm sure they will have plenty of them at check in and on board, and there was no researchy* information needed on it. I wouldn't be concerned about that part.

* - I hate those customs forms you get in airplanes that ask for the phone number of the place you will be staying, or the address of your third cousin twice removed. The most difficult bits of information on this form are your home address and the name of the ship you're sailing on.

Thanks! My worry was indeed it would be questions that I need to think about. Anyone remember if we needed to fill in a blue US custom form for those non-US people (think I have a spare one I can do in advance)

I had one recently that asked me how much money I expected to spend in the country... how the heck do I know?!? And is that meant to include prepaid expenses?!? Same form also asked for a Contact Person. I left both blank and fortunately no one questioned me on it.

Oh dear see this would stress me out! I get nervous enough when the immigration man asks how much money I'm travelling with! I don't know I didn't count all my change so its a complete guess based on how much I exchanged! Always makes me panic and yet I never think to precount!

Any military traveling on this cruise (or who banks with USAA)? I don't know who I can use to exchange money with before we go (USAA doesn't exchange $$ anymore unless you live overseas, which we don't). Can I just walk into any bank and ask to place an order for ezchanging $ to € ?? I don't want to exchange money in the airports. Any tips?? Or should I post in the main forum?

Any military traveling on this cruise (or who banks with USAA)? I don't know who I can use to exchange money with before we go (USAA doesn't exchange $$ anymore unless you live overseas, which we don't). Can I just walk into any bank and ask to place an order for ezchanging $ to € ?? I don't want to exchange money in the airports. Any tips?? Or should I post in the main forum?

Do you belong to AAA? That's where we get all our money exchanged. They order it and you go and pick it up (they don't sent it to the house anymore). I think even banks have to order it, but I've found AAA has the better exchange rate.

No but we might as well join up considering that there are all kinds of dis pints to be had that I e seen throughout the years. Where do you typically pick it up at? And thanks for the tip! :worship:

No but we might as well join up considering that there are all kinds of dis pints to be had that I e seen throughout the years. Where do you typically pick it up at? And thanks for the tip! :worship:

I just go in and order it from my local AAA. They do not take charge cards because the transaction is considered a cash one -- they will take debit cards, checks or cash. It takes a few days though, so I wouldn't wait too long.

Also, when you order it you can designate how you want the currency (5's, 10's, etc.) We never want 100's and usually one get a few 50's and the rest in smaller bills. Warning -- some of the currency is so pretty you want to keep one of each LOL

I just go in and order it from my local AAA. They do not take charge cards because the transaction is considered a cash one -- they will take debit cards, checks or cash. It takes a few days though, so I wouldn't wait too long.

Also, when you order it you can designate how you want the currency (5's, 10's, etc.) We never want 100's and usually one get a few 50's and the rest in smaller bills. Warning -- some of the currency is so pretty you want to keep one of each LOL
I'm definitely going to be looking into this option. And soon! Will be adding to my mile-long list of things to get done before the month is out :scared:

I made sure my parents got a Capital One 360 checking account for the debit card. These cards charge no atm, foreign transaction, or currency conversion fees. You use it just like any debit card in the US, but receive Euros from European atms.

Two useful articles about this:
https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/banking/debit-card-foreign-transaction-international-atm-fees/
and
https://www.ricksteves.com/travel-tips/money/cash-machine-atm-tips

I just checked with Bank of America and found out that since I have a credit card with them, I can exchange money at one of their facilities without any fees (at the current exchange rate)! Still am going to have the discussion with DH about her joining aaa since 1) I don't have a reliable auto club service (USAA stinks in that dept) 2) seem to have good discounts!

I just checked with Bank of America and found out that since I have a credit card with them, I can exchange money at one of their facilities without any fees (at the current exchange rate)! Still am going to have the discussion with DH about her joining aaa since 1) I don't have a reliable auto club service (USAA stinks in that dept) 2) seem to have good discounts!

Also love their free travel tourbooks and maps.

Chiming in on the exchange.

I went to AAA on Saturday to exchange US$ to Euros, and I got a message yesterday that my pickup was ready. Very quick turnaround with AAA. I did have an option to order online, but the nearest office is a few miles away (and across from my gym).

I had checked exchange rates online before purchasing, and it looked like Bank of America had the best rate if you had an account with them. I do not believe credit cards count but don't hold me to that. We got 600 euros for 747.96. This is to cover 2 1/2 days of food, tips for our tour guides, and taxis. If we have any leftover, we will use it in the other European ports. We also plan to bring a small amount of cash in case we need to exchange more on the ship.

I would not rely on an airport ATM. That was my original plan in 2014, but I could not find an ATM readily available. You could go to a bank that has an indoor ATM once in Barcelona.

We also are AAA members. I went online and ordered the Euros we wanted, paid with a credit card, and FedEx delivered the next day (someone had to be present to sign for it). Couldn't be easier.

I didn't realize they had travel books and maps (then again, I was too focused on how much it would potentially cost me to exchange $ to €) :-)

@Aanna, thanks for the interesting links! They were a good read and something I'm glad I took the time to go over!

We also are AAA members. I went online and ordered the Euros we wanted, paid with a credit card, and FedEx delivered the next day (someone had to be present to sign for it). Couldn't be easier.

Just curious, when was this? Because AAA as of the last year or so no longer allow them to be mailed to you, and don't accept credit cards -- at least the locations we have used have those rules. I was very disappointed that we had to drive back out there to pick up our monies once they arrived. That has been the procedure the last four times we ordered them.

Last edited:
I didn't realize they had travel books and maps (then again, I was too focused on how much it would potentially cost me to exchange $ to €) :-)

@Aanna, thanks for the interesting links! They were a good read and something I'm glad I took the time to go over!

Their tourbooks (as they're called) and maps are awesome. The Tourbooks give you all sites, hotels and restaurants in the areas. Of course, those are only the hotels and restaurants that AAA has inspected and/or approved. We've used those books for the past 30 years of travel.

Just curious, when was this? Because AAA as of the last year or so no longer allow them to be mailed to you, and don't accept credit cards -- at least the locations we have used have those rules. I was very disappointed that we had to drive back out there to pick up our monies once they arrived. That has been the procedure the last four times we ordered them.

I just logged into AAA, and I have the option to order online. It states currency can only be shipped to the address associated with the account and no P.O. boxes. Recipient must sign for package.

I just logged into AAA, and I have the option to order online. It states currency can only be shipped to the address associated with the account and no P.O. boxes. Recipient must sign for package.

Interesting. Maybe they allow it online because you are ordering directly from the vendor through AAA. I have only gone to the office to order. Good to know.

I ordered it this month.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter