8 days, 120,000 steps, and a whole lot of fun! Feb '14 TR 12/17/14 **COMPLETE**

Hi Becky!!

Wow - thanks for sharing all the AoA suite pics - I loved seeing everything!

Fun to see all the race preparations - very cool.

I'm thinking of hopefully hitting PHM in 2016 (we have our heart set on ToT 10-miler for 2015, since it's right when our wedding APs will be up), but February is a really bad time for me to be out of work so it might just be a dream.

I know runDisney has published pamphlets that advertise the 2015 Everest Challenge (May 1-2) so it'll be around for 1 more year! It was an amazing race and I wish we could do it again (mostly because it was 60 and raining the whole time - blegh). It actually ended up being around 5 miles when all is said and done, so you do get quite the workout! And gotta love the afterparty :goodvibes

That would be great if you do PHM in 2016! I really hope it works out for you despite the work stuff. Ideally I want to make that an annual thing. I did the first Enchanted 10k and now I'm signed up for GSC so I kind of like the idea of doing the 10k every year since it began ;)

That is good that they still plan on Everest at least for the next year! I don't think I'll make it for 2015 but I hope they keep doing it!

Hi Becky!!

Wow - thanks for sharing all the AoA suite pics - I loved seeing everything!

Fun to see all the race preparations - very cool.

AoA is so nice - and I have a ton more photos that I took later in the trip that I'll share soon too! I spent about an hour walking around the grounds with my "fancy camera" (finally get some use out of the DSLR lol!) so I could take lots of photos. They really did an incredible job with it!

A Downtown Disney Afternoon

After lunch we decided to hop on the bus and go to DTD! Our park tickets had the "water parks and more" option added since it was really cheap to do with a military ticket. So we were going to be visiting Disney Quest! I'd heard a bit about it but wasn't 100% sure what to expect. DH loves video games so I was hoping he'd have a good time, but I was also nervous that it might be kind of lame. Spoiler alert: we loved it! We were "greeted" by a statue of Wreck-It Ralph when we walked in:

There were a couple different ways that you could go, and we didn't really know where anything was, so we just picked one and headed through the cave of wonders!

We stopped pretty quickly when we found some Fix-It Felix machines. We played here way longer than I expected to, but it was a lot of fun. DH was really good at it, and I wasn't so much. He got the highest score on his machine (of the day so far, I would guess). He loves old arcade games, and even though this one isn't since it's in the same style he really enjoyed it!

Next we came on the Aladdin ride, which wasn't too surprising since we had gone through the Cave of Wonders. A lot of the rides/games in here are really interactive. On this one you sat with a big helmet over your head to make it feel like you were flying a magic carpet. It was fun but it did make me a little dizzy.

Pirates of the Caribbean was definitely one of our favorites. You get your own room with part of a pirate ship - there's cannons around the ship and you are physically running over to fire the cannons at the enemy ships, which are on a screen all around you. You also have the option of having one person drive the ship, but since it was just DH and I we went on auto pilot ;) It was so totally submersive!

The Jungle Cruise ride looked cooler than it actually was. You sit in a raft and have to row around the river. It actually just ended up hurting my arms! Might be a good workout though!

Then we found these little booths were you could go in and "write" your own song. Basically it gave you some choices of lyrics and then it puts everything together into a song. It also records your voice for part of the song. It sounds kind of lame, but once our song came together we were honestly laughing so hard we were crying. It was definitely one of the highlights of Disney Quest. Please note the last line on the lyrics below...

We then had to check out "CyberSpace Mountain," where you could design your own roller coaster track and then ride it in an awesome simulation. It was way more intense than I expected and a lot of fun! And DH and I ended up buying the video of it because we looked so ridiculous. I did get suckered into that one.

I always love the drawing class at Hollywood Studios, so we did the one here that is on electronic screens instead of paper. I prefer the paper but this is still fun. We did Goofy:

And then we rode Buzz Lightyear's Astro Blaster, which was fun and basically a combination of bumper cars with balls that you can shoot at the other cars. In that same area they had a lot of retro games so DH spent some time there. I think he could've spent the rest of the night in that room but we had dinner plans so it was time to leave! We had spent about 4 hours there and it definitely made for a fun afternoon.

We headed over to Wolfgang Puck's Cafe, where we were meeting our friends D&B, N&A, and C.

The food was very tasty. I loaded myself up on pasta and bread to prepare for the 10k the next morning! Then we headed back to the room to get into bed early so I could get some sleep before I had to wake up at 3am!

Yours is the second review that's made me actually want to try Disney Quest. It's so hard to put a day in there where the ticket costs more and the regular parks are just there for the taking but it does look like fun. And can't wait to read about (and see the pics from) Wolfgang Puck!

That carpeting is to die for. Too cute. Nearly race day!!

I always love to hear about Disney Quest since that's one thing I've never done. I'm not a big video game fan, but it does sounds like fun. The "rides" sounds wicked cool.

Wow, well done on Goofy there Becky! :thumbsup2

Disney Quest afternoon looked like fun! I would love to play the Fix-It Felix games!! I went to Disney Quest 5 or 6 years ago (we had WP&M and lots of unused passes, so decided to check it out), so Wreck-It Ralph wasn't out yet. I didn't do the simulator/virtual rides, I get motion sickness pretty easily and was afraid they would really bother me. My DH was far more interested in the old school video games anyway!!

Oh my goodness that song was funny.....I'll just rip a big one??? I can see why you were laughing until you cried!!

Love the carpet with the animal tracks! So cute.

Yours is the second review that's made me actually want to try Disney Quest. It's so hard to put a day in there where the ticket costs more and the regular parks are just there for the taking but it does look like fun. And can't wait to read about (and see the pics from) Wolfgang Puck!

That carpeting is to die for. Too cute. Nearly race day!!

Disney Quest might be a good option for an arrival/leaving day, when you only have a few hours and don't want to spend extra money on a park ticket!

I always love to hear about Disney Quest since that's one thing I've never done. I'm not a big video game fan, but it does sounds like fun. The "rides" sounds wicked cool.

Wow, well done on Goofy there Becky! :thumbsup2

I thought it was cool that both DH and I really enjoyed Disney Quest - he's a huge video gamer and I'm not, so it really did feel like there was "something for everyone."

Hmm, I might have to reconsider Disney Quest.

It's definitely worth thinking about!

Disney Quest afternoon looked like fun! I would love to play the Fix-It Felix games!! I went to Disney Quest 5 or 6 years ago (we had WP&M and lots of unused passes, so decided to check it out), so Wreck-It Ralph wasn't out yet. I didn't do the simulator/virtual rides, I get motion sickness pretty easily and was afraid they would really bother me. My DH was far more interested in the old school video games anyway!!

Oh my goodness that song was funny.....I'll just rip a big one??? I can see why you were laughing until you cried!!

Love the carpet with the animal tracks! So cute.

Fix It Felix was a blast! Even though I wasn't too good at it, haha.

And right? That song creator was too funny! Plus you could pick which style of music you wanted, so I did country, so just imagine that whole thing being sung with a western twang ;)

Enchanted 10k

This morning we were up and at 'em bright and early! Well, at least I was. I think DH wanted to sleep, but with my getting ready it woke him up. I got up at 3 am and got my running stuff together. We went to bed around 9 o'clock, so I'd had about six hours of sleep, but I was really nervous and kept waking up all night. I had laid everything out the night before so there wasn't too much to do to get ready other than put it all on. Since DH was awake anyway I made him take a picture ;) I did a Belle themed costume.

Then DH got to go back to sleep for a little while (he and the other husbands would be leaving around 5 or so to get a spot on the race path to cheer us on. They planned to be on the Boardwalk since the 10k went through there). I went with the three other girls staying at AoA to get on the bus! They recommend you are on the bus no later than 4am, and I think we got on at 3:45 so we were in very good shape.

Once we got to Epcot it was pretty easy to find where we were supposed to go. There was an area to drop off your bags if you had one (I didn't want to bother with it so I didn't have one), and port-a-potties. There were also some benches and stuff for waiting around, because that's what we spent most of the time doing - waiting. They did have some photo backdrops up so we took advantage of that!

We also found two other girls that we knew from our DIS group. The six of us hung around talking for awhile while I tried to settle my nerves. Finally it was time to head to the corrals. I was in corral C, which was the middle one out of 5. There were lots of people milling about waiting!

For the 10k they had the corrals start every 10 minutes, so I started the race at 5:50 am. For every corral start they had the Fairy Godmother there to count down, and then fireworks marked the start. And we were off! But so many people were jogging soooo slowly. I'm not super fast but I'm not slow either, so I had to do a lot of bobbing and weaving in the beginning.

The first character we saw was Elsa! She was on top of the overpass and it was "snowing" Disney snow. You couldn't stop to meet her (the wait would've been insane, I'm sure!) but it was fun to see her. This pic is awful but it was still very dark and I was running, so...

I didn't know what to expect from the characters but I was looking forward to seeing who was out. I didn't want to stop too much because I wanted to try and keep a decent time. The first characters were the White Rabbit and a Playing Card from Alice in Wonderland, which I skipped. Then after mile 2 I saw Pocahontas and Meeko. I couldn't resist a photo with adorable Meeko, so I did make a pit stop here!

This ended up being the only characters I stopped for. All the others were either ones I'd met before in the parks or the lines just looked way too long. And I was in the zone! The others that I remember were the Christmas soldiers from the Christmas parade, Tiana and Naveen, Jiminy Cricket, Marie, Goofy, and Donald.

It was exciting to see the 3 mile marker because that was just about the halfway point! A lot of people stopped for pictures at all the mile marker signs but I mostly did "run-by" shots. It was fun to see which Disney characters were on each mile sign though! The only annoying thing was that the timer on top of the signs starts when the first corral starts. So for me to know what my time was I had to subtract 20 minutes from that. Luckily I had my phone app going to keep track as well so I could be aware of my pace!

And then we got to what was definitely the best part of the run, and that was going through the World Showcase. At the time that I was passing through there the sun had started to rise and it was just beautiful. It's an amazing opportunity to see Epcot at sunrise and the beauty of it all was definitely worth it!

And then it was on to the Boardwalk! Also very beautiful early in the morning.

And sure enough, I found the husbands waiting on a bench by the bakery! They other two wives that were running were in corral E, so they hadn't been by yet. I stopped for a sweaty picture with DH. I'm sure he was just thrilled to be up so early!

At the end of the Boardwalk/Beach Club loop was these two large light up "puppets" of Lumiere and the Genie. I don't know what they were from but they were cool looking!

Then it was back into Epcot for the home stretch. Past the big silver ball. I decided to stop for a photo with the 6 mile marker because it was a big accomplishment for me, it had Anna and Elsa, and there was almost no one else there so it didn't take much time. Almost done!

And the finish line is in sight! (though those two women in the right corner are running the wrong way!)

And I finished! My time was 1 hour and 24 minutes, which was a 13:24 min/mile pace. I was extremely happy with that, especially since I stopped a couple of times. They gave us a food pack, some water... and of course our shiny medals!

DH found me after the race, with his two buddies, and we waited for the other girls to finish. Strangely, DH was wearing his boxers on the outside of his jeans. Sigh, my husband is a strange one! There is a (still odd) explanation - both of the other men were wearing Buzz Lightyear shirts/hoodies. DH felt left out but remembered we was wearing his Buzz boxers... so he decided to go into a bathroom to put them on the outside so he could fit in. :rotfl2: Maybe that is what being up that early to sit around for so long does to you! Regrettably, I did not think to take a picture of this!

Once everyone was done, we headed back to AoA for showers. I also managed to get a nap in for about an hour before our late breakfast reservation at Chef Mickey's. You know it's an interesting day when you run 6.2 miles, shower, and take an hour long nap all before breakfast!

All right!!! Marathon time!!! I so love how people dress up for it. Your Belle outfit is adorable.

Ugh, the whole hurry up and wait would drive me bonkers though.

Blurry or not, that's still Elsa! :goodvibes

Disney runs sure are unique. So many potential stopping points. I admire your discipline. I can't imagine anyone hacving a record time on a Disney race.

Congratulations on finishing Becky. I hope that medal has a great new display place at home.

Great report!!

Great job on your run!

Can't wait to read more! :-)

Oh, BTW, I know the pain of losing pictures. I had my computer, 1200 pictures, and several documents that were not able to be recovered due to my HD crashing too.

All right!!! Marathon time!!! I so love how people dress up for it. Your Belle outfit is adorable.

Ugh, the whole hurry up and wait would drive me bonkers though.

Blurry or not, that's still Elsa! :goodvibes

Disney runs sure are unique. So many potential stopping points. I admire your discipline. I can't imagine anyone hacving a record time on a Disney race.

Congratulations on finishing Becky. I hope that medal has a great new display place at home.

Planning the outfit is probably the most fun part, haha! I'm going to be Alice for the Tower of Terror 10 miler in October :)

Yeah, Disney races are definitely not the place to try and set a new personal record! You pretty much expect that your official time will be way worse than if you were just running normally. Though for me, all the fun stuff along the course makes the run more fun and thus easier, so that works too!

Yes, my medal is proudly hanging on my wall, and now it has a friend - I completed the Hershey 10k in April at Hershey Park!

Great report!!

Great job on your run!

Can't wait to read more! :-)

Oh, BTW, I know the pain of losing pictures. I had my computer, 1200 pictures, and several documents that were not able to be recovered due to my HD crashing too.

Thank you!

Ugh, I'm sorry you had to lose pictures as well. I lost all of my music too - most of which is on CDs, but I haven't gotten around to readding it all to iTunes. It definitely stresses the importance of backing up as much as possible!

Yay!! What a great job! I'm glad you were able to find DH in the Boardwalk, and those early morning Epcot pictures were beautiful.

You had a great time! I seriously need to learn how to pace myself properly, I always end up going too fast in the beginning and then have to walk for the whole last mile (of a 5k of course). Boo!

Yay!! What a great job! I'm glad you were able to find DH in the Boardwalk, and those early morning Epcot pictures were beautiful.

You had a great time! I seriously need to learn how to pace myself properly, I always end up going too fast in the beginning and then have to walk for the whole last mile (of a 5k of course). Boo!

Thanks! Pacing is kind of difficult. I've been finding that now as I'm getting faster, I want to push myself more than I really should and I burn out halfway through. That's why I check my phone/Runkeeper app a lot when I run. I know now about what sort of pace I need to keep to not have to end up walking the rest, and I make sure I'm not going too much faster than that.

I have never made into Disneyquest and last year we had premium annual passes to get in and never used them.
Nice pics during the run.
Love the Lumiere and Genie.
Congrats on doing the race.
Um that is strange he put his boxers on outside his pants. LOL

I'm following along! I'm going to do the Princess Half in 2015 so it's awesome to read about other experiences with the weekend :thumbsup2 Great job on the race! I've done one 10k before, and I'm going to make the Princess my first half, but I'm a bit nervous about the distance. I'm trying not to get too far ahead of myself either by training too much too soon and then losing interest.

Looking forward to hearing about the rest of your trip too! Going to check out your website now :goodvibes

I have never made into Disneyquest and last year we had premium annual passes to get in and never used them.
Nice pics during the run.
Love the Lumiere and Genie.
Congrats on doing the race.
Um that is strange he put his boxers on outside his pants. LOL

Too bad you never made it into Disney Quest - I think it's worth a visit! Maybe in the future :)

Lumiere and genie were so cool! I'm not sure what they're from and where they came from but it was really neat to see.

I'm following along! I'm going to do the Princess Half in 2015 so it's awesome to read about other experiences with the weekend :thumbsup2 Great job on the race! I've done one 10k before, and I'm going to make the Princess my first half, but I'm a bit nervous about the distance. I'm trying not to get too far ahead of myself either by training too much too soon and then losing interest.

Looking forward to hearing about the rest of your trip too! Going to check out your website now :goodvibes

Welcome! Congrats on signing up for the Princess Half! I'll be there as well and it will also be my first half marathon :) I'm nervous too, but I'm doing the Tower of Terror 10 miler in October so I'm hoping after 10 miles 13.1 won't seem quite so scary. Do you have a certain plan you're using to train? I really like Jeff Galloway's plans on the website because it definitely eases you into the further distances, which is really nice. It's not too much too soon.

And thanks for checking out my blog too!! :goodvibes

Welcome! Congrats on signing up for the Princess Half! I'll be there as well and it will also be my first half marathon :) I'm nervous too, but I'm doing the Tower of Terror 10 miler in October so I'm hoping after 10 miles 13.1 won't seem quite so scary. Do you have a certain plan you're using to train? I really like Jeff Galloway's plans on the website because it definitely eases you into the further distances, which is really nice. It's not too much too soon.

And thanks for checking out my blog too!! :goodvibes

Your blog is awesome!!! But it made me want to buy too much stuff, haha.

That sounds smart, one race between the 10k and the 13.1m distance. I think I will loosely follow the Jeff Galloway training plan, although I'm not really doing run/walk intervals as of yet, I might as I get into the longer distances though, at least to try it out. I wish his plan was a few weeks longer because I'm antsy to get started, but it's still quite awhile to the race. I ran 10k with my sister today, first time since my one and only 10k race back in April. It was good until about 8k, then I started to get pretty tired, but it was getting fairly hot too. I would have definitely stopped for a walk break or two if I wasn't with her, but as it turned out we kept about a 7:20 (per km) pace. I didn't really feel like I could keep going any further at that pace though, so I'm a bit less confident today than I have been :rolleyes:

Your blog is awesome!!! But it made me want to buy too much stuff, haha.

That sounds smart, one race between the 10k and the 13.1m distance. I think I will loosely follow the Jeff Galloway training plan, although I'm not really doing run/walk intervals as of yet, I might as I get into the longer distances though, at least to try it out. I wish his plan was a few weeks longer because I'm antsy to get started, but it's still quite awhile to the race. I ran 10k with my sister today, first time since my one and only 10k race back in April. It was good until about 8k, then I started to get pretty tired, but it was getting fairly hot too. I would have definitely stopped for a walk break or two if I wasn't with her, but as it turned out we kept about a 7:20 (per km) pace. I didn't really feel like I could keep going any further at that pace though, so I'm a bit less confident today than I have been :rolleyes:

Haha I know the feeling - people always think being a run is a "cheap" sport, but there are so many useful things you can buy!

Jeff Galloway's plan, at least for the 10 miler, seems to be 2 half hour runs during the week followed by a longer run on the weekend, so you could always try something similar if you want to get started soon! Your pace sounds really good though (after I converted it to miles, lol), so even if you slow down a bit you'll be in great shape. I have to kind of force myself to keep my pace slower on my longer runs or else I burn out too quickly.

Haha I know the feeling - people always think being a run is a "cheap" sport, but there are so many useful things you can buy!

Jeff Galloway's plan, at least for the 10 miler, seems to be 2 half hour runs during the week followed by a longer run on the weekend, so you could always try something similar if you want to get started soon! Your pace sounds really good though (after I converted it to miles, lol), so even if you slow down a bit you'll be in great shape. I have to kind of force myself to keep my pace slower on my longer runs or else I burn out too quickly.

I never know whether to train in miles or kilometers, haha! I'm constantly converting back and forth :teacher: I try to slow my pace down for my longer runs too!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter