• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

7 month availability getting more difficult

In the past we have been able to get availability at AKV & SSR without a problem. The inventory at 6 mo has appeared to have dwindled. We own 150 pts at BWV and if we book there and/or SSR & ADV it's a good use of our points. Our 150 pts isn't gong to get me much at the newer resorts at 6 months even if there is availability. Could it be that owners at these resorts have larger point contracts and are attempting to increase there days spent at WDW by booking at a resort such as BWV? This could lead to a shortage if my math is correct.

Then wouldn't an even better strategy be to buy even cheaper resale points from Vero Beach, and then just plan to use them on larger units at 7 months? They're selling for half of what some of the more in-demand resorts do.

We are doing just this!

VB is a great property and owning to use there and at WDW can be a great and viable option, but the long term cost of VB will be more than the long term cost of SSR. At the end of the ROFR for VB, assuming a 3.5% inflation rate, you'd pay as much for VB just in dues as you'd pay for SSR purchase plus dues. Even if you truly invest the difference up front, about the best you could do would be to break even. But you'd have several negatives compared to SSR FOR WDW, you'd have more risk of loss if there were a catastrophe, you would not have the 11 month window, you'd have more risk for dues to increase at a faster rate, you'd have something worth proportionately less best case scenario and you'd be ending in 2042. When I ran the numbers recently I used a $30 pp spread between VB & SSR. That assumes one is not buying a subsidized VB contract, the numbers would be different since the buy in would be more but the dues less.

I also ran AKV & BLT a the same time. I used the same buy in price for AKV as SSR and a $65 spread for BLT. At 2042 both were also considerably cheaper than VB and with those assumptions almost identical in cost but BLT would be cheaper than AKV further in. You have all the differences compared to VB I mentioned above. Each of those 4 properties have advantages and disadvantages owning there. The specific advantages are the 11 month window for each and esp for BLT & AKV, the cheaper and specialty views. IF one bought AKV to use mostly for value AND bought the fewer points, it becomes cheaper at some point than owning at SSR and using for AKV standard. The last time I did the calculation one had to use 2/3 of the points for value consistently just to break even compared to owning at SSR and using for standard view there. The same principles would apply to BLT standard but I haven't run the actual numbers for when BLT would be cheaper than SSR in this situation. Just ball parking it I'd suspect one would have to use BLT 80% of the time or more at standard and buy the fewer points to break even compared to SSR used for Lake View there.

All of those assumptions also ignore the fact you likely would get the cheaper or specialty view at the other resort (value/standard) at some point. The other advantages to buying SSR are there are a ton of resales comparatively speaking making it easier to find the perfect contract as well as to get a fully loaded contract and to negotiate a good price. There is a tipping point where VB would make sense but currently it appears to be getting VB for free or less.

We are currently looking at adding on at SSR for a few reasons:
1) I have now turned 5 different sets of friends to rentals on the boards in the last 18 months because they didn't want to spend the $$$ on BLT or VGF (even with a "friend discount") or we didn't have enough points to rent to them with what we plan on using for ourselves
2) At 7 months, all of our points are worth the same, and I would rather go to a different resort with cheaper SSR points than my BLT or VGF points
3) This diversifies our ownership (I can't help it, I hold a finance degree)
4) If we ever want to stay in a cabin, 3-bedroom villa, bungalow, etc., we should do it on cheaper points than our BLT or VGF because they are usually available at 7 months. Those MK resort points just cost too much to "blow them" all on those higher end accommodations
5) I would love to add on 100 points to our BLT membership, but the PPP is just to high for us right now and doesn't seem to be coming down to what we would pay anytime soon
6) I would love to add on at Riviera once it is done, but we will most definitely be priced out at ~$200pp because we stay in 2-bedroom villas, and the size of the villa is not something my family wants to compromise on just to own somewhere
7) We may stay at SSR sometimes and rent out VGF or BLT for a decent profit because we bought them at a somewhat reasonable PPP

There are other reasons, but this is the short list.

anyone know how hard to get poly at 7 months for 2nd week december or mid march? I have friends that want to stay at poly and trying to make that happen if possible...

anyone know how hard to get poly at 7 months for 2nd week december or mid march? I have friends that want to stay at poly and trying to make that happen if possible...
I don't know! We stayed in one studio in February 2016 and late April 2017 booked no problems (even waitlisted a lake view from standard view in 2017 and it was successful.) I've tried to get in for 3 different potential trips since then. No luck.

I don't know! We stayed in one studio in February 2016 and late April 2017 booked no problems (even waitlisted a lake view from standard view in 2017 and it was successful.) I've tried to get in for 3 different potential trips since then. No luck.
maybe since its sold out now?? who knows... Thanks so much!

7 month availability is rough for the fall...woof. I had a 2 bedroom AKV value for 7 nights and a standard AKV studio for the 8th in October. Since its only our second year of ownership I was looking to try other resorts. I made a mess of things but almost as soon as I put in a waitlist for a standard studio at Poly I noticed it dropped off my dashboard.
Called member services, dropped the last two nights of our 2 bedroom value stay and cancelled the studio so that the 3 night waitlist at Poly that matched wouldn't double book. I know the 2 bedroom AKV value is a rare bird but 5 nights with additional guests is plenty.

We stayed at the Poly for 3 nights our last stay and my wife is a big fan. Heck I loved it too. But I also have waitlists to replace those 3 nights for the sake of trying something new. One is a 1 bedroom standard at BWV, and the other a studio at BCV. I know fat chance those come through! I will be happy regardless the outcome.

With how hot the studios are, the influx of new members, the ease of renting, and the popularity of the fall months it's no wonder availability is the pits. It really is a bummer but as people say buy where you want to stay. We own at AKV and love it there so we won't ever be disappointed.

December is hard. March likely depends on when Easter is; Poly has a lot of points sold against bungalows but people book studios.

7 month availability is rough for the fall...woof. I had a 2 bedroom AKV value for 7 nights and a standard AKV studio for the 8th in October. Since its only our second year of ownership I was looking to try other resorts. I made a mess of things but almost as soon as I put in a waitlist for a standard studio at Poly I noticed it dropped off my dashboard.
Called member services, dropped the last two nights of our 2 bedroom value stay and cancelled the studio so that the 3 night waitlist at Poly that matched wouldn't double book. I know the 2 bedroom AKV value is a rare bird but 5 nights with additional guests is plenty.

We stayed at the Poly for 3 nights our last stay and my wife is a big fan. Heck I loved it too. But I also have waitlists to replace those 3 nights for the sake of trying something new. One is a 1 bedroom standard at BWV, and the other a studio at BCV. I know fat chance those come through! I will be happy regardless the outcome.

With how hot the studios are, the influx of new members, the ease of renting, and the popularity of the fall months it's no wonder availability is the pits. It really is a bummer but as people say buy where you want to stay. We own at AKV and love it there so we won't ever be disappointed.
wow! We are getting to stay at Brv for one night and 4 nights at the poly end of june! I just pieced together this trip early march! I waitlisted 3 night at poly and they almost immediately came thru. standard. Now I am wanting to take different friends and they really love poly... I also own akv and will not be dissapointed. The bus isn't that bad and still have to use a bus to get other places from MK resorts! plus we love animal kingdom and going back at night to ride everest tons of times at closing is so fun!! So being so close to AK is awesome!! My thing is I am a new owner and excited to try other spots... and enjoy with friends...

Last edited:

2nd week of December would be luck. March is going to be the best option and a decent possibility.

I have two questions... we just bought AKL and are closing soon (yay!)... we are eager to start booking our first trip. Since we close in April, I anticipate we won’t be able to book until mid-may after we wait for our points to upload. We are hoping to go in January.

My first question is, how does the 11 month and 7 month booking period work? If we want to go in January, we would book in June for the 7 month mark, correct?

Second question, how difficult is it nowadays to book at the 7-8 month mark at AKL? We are not too hopeful on getting in there, so we are completely open to SSR or OKW. How difficult is it to get into those in January?

Thanks in advance!!

Depends on what you mean by "January" - right after New Years is popular, and DVCers seem to really like to run Marathons, but if you go later and avoid marathon, January is pretty easy. VAKL is huge - you may end up only have the choice of Kidani,......some people prefer it over there.

Depends on what you mean by "January" - right after New Years is popular, and DVCers seem to really like to run Marathons, but if you go later and avoid marathon, January is pretty easy. VAKL is huge - you may end up only have the choice of Kidani,......some people prefer it over there.

Oh yes, I should have specified. We want to avoid the crazy weekends, so it would most likely be late January. Thank you!

Very simple explanation for lack of availability.

When selling SSR and AKV, when DVC was much smaller, a large percentage of points were unsold. Nobody is booking unsold points at 11 or 7 months. Lots of Unsold points = easy availability.

Now the mega resorts are sold out, and new properties are relatively small. The percentage of unsold points has dropped dramatically. So availability is harder. If DVC stops building new resorts, it will get even harder.

I don’t think building new resorts does not make things easier or harder to book. I believe the sites renting DVC points has caused the resorts being more sold out and the economy is doing well too, so people have more free money to spend than back in 2008-2012.

I don’t think building new resorts does not make things easier or harder to book. I believe the sites renting DVC points has caused the resorts being more sold out and the economy is doing well too, so people have more free money to spend than back in 2008-2012.
More resorts makes it harder to book the near park resorts - BLT, Poly, VGF, BCV & BWV. Those aren't getting any bigger, and most of the complaints are about those resorts.

Renting is also a factor, as is the increasing cost per point to purchase. That means more can only afford studios, and when people complain about the difficulty of booking, they are almost always trying to get a studio.

High point cost leading to smaller contract purchases is creating high demand for studios. Those Bungalows are close to the park, but they seem to be available at the 7 months mark all year long.

It’s now about 7 months out from wine and dine race weekend and I have to say that as my first time trying to shuffle around bookings over that weekend even though I was warned I’m still surprised that I’m not seeing any movements. I’m logging on each day looking for changes (I have a backup booking but looking for some variety) as it’s too early to put in a waitlist and it’s all just the same availability with no movement unlike other times. I think it’s because there’s some nights fully booked up (studios) so no one can cancel as they’re not trying to move anywhere else but it’s still amazing me.

It’s now about 7 months out from wine and dine race weekend and I have to say that as my first time trying to shuffle around bookings over that weekend even though I was warned I’m still surprised that I’m not seeing any movements. I’m logging on each day looking for changes (I have a backup booking but looking for some variety) as it’s too early to put in a waitlist and it’s all just the same availability with no movement unlike other times. I think it’s because there’s some nights fully booked up (studios) so no one can cancel as they’re not trying to move anywhere else but it’s still amazing me.
Doubt there will be much movement, if any. There are no studios available anywhere for Friday & Saturday nights of race weekend. Almost certain to be waitlists for every category & resort. There are still a few 1 bedrooms available, though.

Pretty sure this weekend books faster than any other except possibly New Year's Eve.

Those of us who have been around awhile are not surprised at what you're seeing. Good luck - something may open up for you closer to arrival

Wow! The DVC gods were smiling on me this morning. I've been looking at availability for a studio for the Friday of Wine & Dine weekend forever and have watched it shrink and shrink to nothing. We couldn't book at our 11 month window because we had no points, and our resale didn't close until our home resort was already booked. I've been crossing my fingers, and shockingly a standard studio at the Poly became available a few minutes after I logged in this morning! Our resale contract had just enough expiring points that we could book it. And since the Poly is so close to the MK parking lot, we might even get a few more minutes of sleep before the 10k!!! Whoo-hoo!!

Laurie

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter