50th BDay Solo trip and Dining Plan question

ryanmilla

DIS Veteran
So, I just booked my solo trip to celebrate my 50th Bday (4/6-11). I’m a DVC member, so I got myself a 1bdrm villa with a kitchen. However, when I finalized my booking it asked if I wanted to add on a dining plan. In the past, when I would go with family, we would always pack a lunch and eat a couple dinners at home, so I never considered the dining plan. So, my question is, have others done it? Is it worth it? It is $285 for the 2 quick service meals plan and $471 for the table dinner and quick service plan. That seems like a lot. I know I’ll do a few dinners out to celebrate my birthday, but don’t know if I should do the dining plan. What are other people’s experience with the dining plan?

I personally am not a DDP person, especially since I often travel solo and I just can't justify the cost for what I want to eat, but you can grab your popcorn and enjoy the threads here and here.

Have done it in past. It's not worth it unless you go full tilt and eat all your meals out. Even then, compare the cost of the food you will eat against the plan cost.

We have done the dining plan once or twice and it always costs us more than if we'd just paid out of pocket. You're already "paying" for a kitchen in your accommodation so I'm not sure why you'd need to eat each meal out if you have a kitchen for breakfasts, maybe lunch if you return to the room for a break, etc. I never find the dining plan to be a financially sound decision. If you like the "prepaid" aspect, figure out about what you'd be spending on meals and put it on a gift card before going to Disney. [Personally, we choose to use our Disney VISA at certain restaurants as we get a discount on the cost of the meal, and then use it at other restaurants for the points.]

I wouldn’t bother with dining plan especially with a kitchen. They aren’t giving you as much as they were before but upped the price on the dining plan

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for the input. It definitely seems consistent across the board and all makes sense and what I was thinking too. I’ll just plan birthday meal or two at a table service location and then just wing the rest. Thanks again everyone!

So, I just booked my solo trip to celebrate my 50th Bday (4/6-11). I’m a DVC member, so I got myself a 1bdrm villa with a kitchen. However, when I finalized my booking it asked if I wanted to add on a dining plan. In the past, when I would go with family, we would always pack a lunch and eat a couple dinners at home, so I never considered the dining plan. So, my question is, have others done it? Is it worth it? It is $285 for the 2 quick service meals plan and $471 for the table dinner and quick service plan. That seems like a lot. I know I’ll do a few dinners out to celebrate my birthday, but don’t know if I should do the dining plan. What are other people’s experience with the dining plan?
I just booked my 50th Solo Disney trip for 4/27-5/3. I find the dining plans were too expensive for the amount of food.
Enjoy your special trip 😊

I've seen a few videos talking about the value, and you generally need to order expensive items and alcoholic beverages at every meal to make it break even. If you plan on eating a lot (dessert and drinks with every meal, more expensive snacks), then you can break even, but saving money is the exception rather than the rule.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter