• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

503 errors plaguing the site?

cigar95

DIS weakest link
For a couple days, I've been getting lots of "503 Service Unavailable" errors that imply that the disboards site was not accessible because traffic was too high. It lasts a few minutes, and then I can load pages again until the next time it happens. (I got one the first time I tried to submit this thread!)

Anyone else seeing this? Do the disboards techs know about any issues at the moment?

I'm not having the problem with any other site, just disboards.

Ed - SORRY FOR THE DUPLICATE POSTS! Because of those 503 errors, it didn't appear as if they had gone through!

From home, things seem to be all right this evening.

What was curious was that in the last three days I *never* had a problem with the front page of any forum. It was only when reading threads or trying to send a message that I got the 503 errors.

Perhaps the two databases are stored on different servers, or something else hardware-related.

I have been able to read without issue since Friday night - it looks like the growing pains have been put behind us.

Things were excellent all weekend - but I've seen some of the 503 problem again this afternoon.

I haven't been getting those errors for a week or so -- but today -- continuously! Sometimes switching browsers helps me (coincidence or not, I don't know) - Opera and Firefox work better than Safari. Today - it's all 3. I can only open about 1 out of every 10 messages I try. The forums post listings always open reliably, but trying to click into an individual thread fails more often than not. Very frustrating.

The error seems to be something browser-related, which is odd since 503 is a server traffic error code.

But all the while my errors have been using Firefox 3.5 on Windows XP. This morning I am running Firefox and Safari 4.0 side by side on the same XP machine, and the former gives the 503 error, while the latter works just fine.

When I pull up IE 8.0 on the same machine, I also don't get the error.

So this may be a clue for the techs - 503 errors in my case are limited to Firefox 3.5. One more test is to bring up the board at home on my OS X machine, and try Firefox, Safari, and Camino.

I'm using safari and for the last 3 days I can barely load anything. this of course opened!

I'm getting :mad:. I mis my Dis.

I've been getting those errors for days now and a lot today. GRRRR!

Can our tech support folks shed any light on the situation?

I've reached the point where the *only* time I have the 503 error problem is when reading with Firefox 3.5 on my WindowsXP machine - Safari for Windows and IE 8 work fine, and everything on my iMac and Powerbook at home works fine.

But others seem to be having problems with other browsers - so there's no obvious pattern to the errors. (And since 503 is allegedly related to a problem at the server end, there's no obvious reason why different browsers would even be an issue.)

Finally, at least for now, even my Firefox is behaving nicely.

Anyone else find it ironic getting the 503 error when trying to read this thread?:rotfl: I can't even open the thread to read it but I was able to do a work-around to reply anyway.

I am using Firefox and getting 503 errors as well. I woudl say about 1/2 of the time I try to read a specific post it happens :(

503 Service Unavailable
The server is temporarily busy, try again later! Powered By LiteSpeed Web Server
LiteSpeed Technologies is not responsible for administration and contents of this web site!

I am using firefox 3.0.15.
Is anything being done to address these 503 issues???

I'm getting 503 errors too--but only on certain boards. I can read my cruise meet up thread (I can read and post here!) for instance but can not open threads on the main cruise board. I first experienced it at 3 am (EST) this morning and haven't been able to open a thread on that particular board yet so I'm doubting it's traffic related...

Thanks for looking into it, but I like Firefox, and it worked great here up until recently. Good luck, hopefully it will someday work here again!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter