5 days to go..nervous about staying off-site

luvdisney01

Earning My Ears
My family heads out for Disney in 5 days and we are so excited. We booked accommodations off-site, for the first time, at Windsor Hills. I have spent a lot of time reading boards about Windsor Hills and felt really good about our accomodations. I very much appreciate everyone's entries on the boards! Of course, now that we are only a few days out I am very nervous about renting from an owner.

We rented a 3 bedroom condo in the building closest to the Pool. We are renting from Laza Properties. They have been timely in their responses to my inquiries and references look good. I would LOVE to know if anyone has rented from them!

I am keeping my fingers crossed that everything will be OK and we will enjoy the condo and the resort. Is there anything I should know regarding renting from an owner? I hope we enjoy staying off-site.

Everything will be fine. If there are little bumps, just keep smiling. It's rare for anything to go perfect in life. But in the big picture, if there are bumps, look for solutions and not dwell on what went wrong.

Have fun!

yeah ... stop trip planning ~ mode

and commence relaxation process ~ enjoy your vacation

Hi! Windsor hills will be fine. We've stayed before. Beautiful place. Do come back and let us know how it went. I'm considering planning a non-Disney trip in the fall and this is one of the properties I've been looking at :).

Is there anything I should know regarding renting from an owner? I hope we enjoy staying off-site.

If you don't already know this, you'll have to buy your own toilet paper, dish soap, garbage bags etc. Some people don't realize this and sometimes it sounds like it ruins their whole vacation. Just know going in that you live like you do at home except you're not at home, you're in Florida and going to Disney. Just don't expect perfection and be disappointed that you don't get it. Nobody's home is perfect, mine surely isn't so don't let a few scuff marks or a burned out light bulb ruin your vacation. You're not buying the property, you're just staying there for a few days. We've stayed in a lot of different homes over the years and even though we've run into a few small problems even in the nicest ones, it didn't ruin our vacation.
Hope you have a wonderful vacation and "don't sweat the small stuff".

Have a great time and be sure to come back and post on your experience! We are looking at WH for our June 2014 trip.

If you don't already know this, you'll have to buy your own toilet paper, dish soap, garbage bags etc.

Not if you stay at a Marriott or a Hilton Villa. All that is supplied. The only think we bring is laundry detergent and we purchase our food in Florida. I never stayed (or heard of) Windsor hills so i can't say about them.

Good luck with your trip.

Not if you stay at a Marriott or a Hilton Villa. All that is supplied. The only think we bring is laundry detergent and we purchase our food in Florida. I never stayed (or heard of) Windsor hills so i can't say about them.

Good luck with your trip.

Marriott and Hilton are timeshare resorts which do supply those things but Windsor Hills and other similar subdivisions are made up of privately completely owned homes ( not timeshares ). These homes are termed self-catering. They have enough supplies to get you started but you replenish what you need when you run out.

We stayed at Windsor Hills and did not need to bring TP. Everything was supplied.We rented from a private owner, and had a great time. Closer than staying at some hotels in the park!

Marriott and Hilton are timeshare resorts which do supply those things but Windsor Hills and other similar subdivisions are made up of privately completely owned homes ( not timeshares ). These homes are termed self-catering. They have enough supplies to get you started but you replenish what you need when you run out.

Thanks, interesting, do you get anything other then a place to stay at these locations?

At the TS resorts we are provided:

• All those supplies mentioned above
  • Bathroom supplies, soaps, shampoo, ect
  • Resort staff to take care of anything that needs attention
  • Resort staff that runs events throughout the day, most for free
  • Resort staff that runs a kid center
  • Entertainment (music provided poolside)
  • Restaurant
  • Bar
  • Marketplace
  • Pools/Hot tubs
  • Towels
  • Fitness room
  • Sanna+

Most of the vacation rental subdivisions just have vacation homes with private pools. Those that have condos and townhouses have community facilities also which may include community pools, clubhouses with fitness rooms, mini theatres, store, tiki bar, sports equipment to use on volleyball, tennis and putting areas. Some have a few organized activities but mostly it's do-it-yourself for activities. Each owner has a management company that looks after things for them.
We usually stay in a pool home especially when the whole family goes. You can get a 6 to 8 bedroom pool home for a great price which you can divide up between a couple of families.

I've stayed at windsor hills and never had to purchase any of those things....

Each owner is different. Some may supply those things and some don't. It doesn't hurt to ask just so you'll know.

I stayed at wh once and there was part of a roll of toilet paper in one bathroom. We went to the store quickly.

Most of the vacation rental subdivisions just have vacation homes with private pools. Those that have condos and townhouses have community facilities also which may include community pools, clubhouses with fitness rooms, mini theatres, store, tiki bar, sports equipment to use on volleyball, tennis and putting areas. Some have a few organized activities but mostly it's do-it-yourself for activities. Each owner has a management company that looks after things for them.
We usually stay in a pool home especially when the whole family goes. You can get a 6 to 8 bedroom pool home for a great price which you can divide up between a couple of families.

Hi Wanda,
I noticed you have stayed at a variety of different vacation villas. Which subdivision was your favourite? We've stayed at Indian Creek 4 times, but we would really like to try something different next time. We may need to rent two 4-5 B homes preferably side by side or across the street from each other. I have been researching Windsor Hills, Sunset Lakes, Emerald Island, Terre Verde, and a few others. Updated decor is nice, but the most important make or break item is cleanliness. Any suggestions you have will be greatly appreciated! :flower3:

Fighting off the chill in Halifax,
KaraLyn

Hi Wanda,
I noticed you have stayed at a variety of different vacation villas. Which subdivision was your favourite? We've stayed at Indian Creek 4 times, but we would really like to try something different next time. We may need to rent two 4-5 B homes preferably side by side or across the street from each other. I have been researching Windsor Hills, Sunset Lakes, Emerald Island, Terre Verde, and a few others. Updated decor is nice, but the most important make or break item is cleanliness. Any suggestions you have will be greatly appreciated! :flower3:

Fighting off the chill in Halifax,
KaraLyn

Know all about the chill but we have ours without snow. Probably the only part of the province not to get snow this time. (southern tip)
I like Emerald Island and Windsor Hills but we don't usually use the community facilities anyway so I guess it doesn't matter too much. Emerald Island has more mature greenery throughout the subdivision which is nice but Windsor Hills has the nicer community pool and kids playground. We didn't stay at Formosa Gardens Estates but visited others that were there and that was nice also. They have larger lots so that the homes aren't packed in so close. Reunion Resort has a nice feel to it also but is pricey. They have lots of community pools to choose from and a small waterpark that depending on the owner you may be able to use. They change the rules a lot.

luvdisney01, we'll also be at Windsor Hills next week. This is our third time staying in a condo there (but, three different owners/units). You should have a great time there. We love having room to stretch out.

As others mentioned, you may need to bring your own supplies. Since we are driving I have the following items already packed: laundry supplies (detergent and stain remover), dish liquid, dishwasher detergent, toilet paper, paper towels, garbage bags, shampoo and bath soap. It is just like when we stay in a condo at Gulf Shores.

Have a great trip!!! PM me if I can answer any specific questions for you.

Know all about the chill but we have ours without snow. Probably the only part of the province not to get snow this time. (southern tip)
I like Emerald Island and Windsor Hills but we don't usually use the community facilities anyway so I guess it doesn't matter too much. Emerald Island has more mature greenery throughout the subdivision which is nice but Windsor Hills has the nicer community pool and kids playground. We didn't stay at Formosa Gardens Estates but visited others that were there and that was nice also. They have larger lots so that the homes aren't packed in so close. Reunion Resort has a nice feel to it also but is pricey. They have lots of community pools to choose from and a small waterpark that depending on the owner you may be able to use. They change the rules a lot.

It might have to be Emerald Island this trip...we have rented from the same owner in Indian Creek who has been wonderful, but nice to change it up a bit. Thanks for the response and I love the map you posted of all the resorts, very convenient in figuring out how close we are to everything. I didn't realize how clustered together each of these resorts were.

Thanks everyone for your feedback! My mind is at ease. I am going to take everyone's advice; just relax and enjoy and take some essential supplies like toilet tissue just in case..:). James65 I hope you have a great vacation! Two days left before we leave! Yeah!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter