40 Attractions to Celebrate My 40th Birthday! ***6 days to go PTR update and how many emails?***

Hi! I followed you over here from your post on the Beach Club thread! Happy belated birthday :) What a fun way to celebrate!!
:welcome: Are you going to be staying at Beach Club sometime soon? We will be back this summer.

:welcome: Are you going to be staying at Beach Club sometime soon? We will be back this summer.

Yes! July 20-25th! Going with a girlfriend (she thinks we're staying at POR ;)) and it's both of our first time staying there! Reading about floating around on the lazy river sounds heavenly! Your TR is definitely going to help amp up the excitement, so thank you so much for sharing!

I spent my 40th birthday in WDW, too. It was my only birthday trip (so far). I can't wait to read the rest of your trip report!

Feb 8 (ctd): 4 more attractions before sleeping....

I have no idea how often I'm supposed to post updates to my trip report (feel free to give me some advice about this) but writing this is so fun I'm going to finish off our first day. Although we traveled in the morning, had a birthday lunch, went for a swim, had snacks for dinner and are now at Magic Kingdom- we still have four more attractions to go before we finally give up for the day. At the time, I didn't really feel like we were doing too much but my feet will be paying for it tomorrow. Ahhh foreshadowing.

For now, we are heading to our last FPP of the night, also to be known as attraction #5 and it is the wildest ride in the wilderness. Big Thunder Mountain Railroad (like many thrill rides) is not Grandma Missie's thing so she went off to use her third FPP on Under the Sea while we headed to Frontierland. We waited for front and got a selfie. My attempt at on ride photography was not really very successful but I do love riding BTMRR at night because it has spectacular views of the MK.

IMG_0753 by Emily Landon, on Flickr

IMG_0754 by Emily Landon, on Flickr

IMG_0756 by Emily Landon, on Flickr

At this point we knew we were trying to make it to wishes but he had about an hour to go and we wanted to get a good head start on our forty attractions goal so we hit up two favorites. My mom had not really needed her FPP on under the sea so she rode twice and then met us at attraction #6: It's a Small World!

IMG_0757 by Emily Landon, on Flickr

IMG_0762 by Emily Landon, on Flickr

Again, can't you just hear the music? This was Alex's favorite ride when he was 5 months old. At that time, I thought taking babies to WDW was ludicrous but after seeing his face on this ride, I changed my mind forever. He was so engaged and happy. He's still like that! I realize I am not an expert photographer and some of these aren't the best so you may have to use your memory. The can can girls are some of our favorites.

IMG_0763 by Emily Landon, on Flickr

Don Quijote, anyone? The details are outstanding.

IMG_0765 by Emily Landon, on Flickr

I'm always mesmerized by the sun in this room. It's so simple but it looks so cool when it spins. A picture just doesn't do it justice.

IMG_0767 by Emily Landon, on Flickr

After disembarking from the happiest cruise that ever sailed, we hoped to get one more attraction in before wishes so we headed to something close by with a short line: the carousel! Attraction #7.

Grandma Missie's horse first.

IMG_0771 by Emily Landon, on Flickr

Alex is not following the rules. Don't worry, I made him sit down properly right after we got this picture. :joker:

IMG_0876 by Emily Landon, on Flickr

IMG_0877 by Emily Landon, on Flickr

I love the carousel at night.

IMG_0773 by Emily Landon, on Flickr

It was almost 8 o'clock (Wishes is early in winter low season!) and we were exactly where we wanted to be for Wishes: fantasyland. I love watching from there. It's less crowded and it feels like the fireworks are surrounding you. We knew this would be our last time seeing Wishes so it was a little bittersweet. I love Wishes. Some years ago we took a trip to Disney when I was at a pretty low point in my life and there was something about the hopeful message of wishes that really made me feel good. Ever since then it's meant a lot to me but just like my life has moved on, so will Wishes. I'm really looking forward to seeing Happily Ever After in August but probably not from fantasyland! So this is attraction #8: Wishes!

Star light, star bright. First star I see tonight....

IMG_0774 by Emily Landon, on Flickr

IMG_0779 by Emily Landon, on Flickr

IMG_0794 by Emily Landon, on Flickr

So after saying goodbye to Wishes, we headed back to the Beach Club. I don't recall waiting long for a bus at any point in our trip but definitely not this night. There is one more thing that happened on our first day back at the stone harbor club. Remember how I told you my pixie dust chef, Chris, was making me a special dessert each night? Well, we got back and were presented with specially made Creme Brûlée and a strawberry sparkler to cap off this perfect day at Disney.

IMG_0816 by Emily Landon, on Flickr

Even though we were missing SW and my joints were aching (more on that to come), I went to sleep that night feeling like the most blessed person in the world. So where would we be heading the next day? You'll have to read on to find out.

Here's the attraction list so far:
1. Beaches & Cream
2. Storm Along Bay
3. Town Square Mickey
4. Peter Pan's Flight
5. Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
6. It's a Small World
7. Carousel
8. Wishes

Not bad for a travel day!

Last edited:
Following along and really enjoying your report so far! WDW birthdays are the best! My Mum celebrated her 50th there, I celebrated my 30th and this September we will be back for my Mum's birthday again - our first ever girls only trip! Sounds like you had an amazing time :)

Hi Emily! I followed your link from the BC/YC thread because I saw we will be visiting the same time as you next trip... now I am following along! I, too, am a doc (rapidly approaching 40 as well), we will be at BC CL aug 19-22 before moving over to contemporary. See you in the lounge! I'll be there with my mom and 5 year old twins. DH can't leave work until tuesday so mom is coming with me for the first few days of the trip. Oh... Hamilton fans as well! DH and I saw in in NYC last october! Can't wait to see more of your trip!

Following along and really enjoying your report so far! WDW birthdays are the best! My Mum celebrated her 50th there, I celebrated my 30th and this September we will be back for my Mum's birthday again - our first ever girls only trip! Sounds like you had an amazing time :)
:welcome: That is going to be an awesome trip!

Hi Emily! I followed your link from the BC/YC thread because I saw we will be visiting the same time as you next trip... now I am following along! I, too, am a doc (rapidly approaching 40 as well), we will be at BC CL aug 19-22 before moving over to contemporary. See you in the lounge! I'll be there with my mom and 5 year old twins. DH can't leave work until tuesday so mom is coming with me for the first few days of the trip. Oh... Hamilton fans as well! DH and I saw in in NYC last october! Can't wait to see more of your trip!

Wow! You and I will definitely have to meet up in the lounge. You've seen our pictures so you'll have to say hello. So glad to find another doc who probably also appreciates that WDW is the exact opposite of the hospital. I never see how any of the magic happens, people around me all seem pretty happy (except for a few tantrums here and there), the CMs mostly love their jobs, no one is irritated with me, I don't have to tell anyone what to do, and no one needs me to do anything urgently. :tinker:

:welcome: And hooray for being 40! Or almost 40... It's not too bad. How will you celebrate?

Not 100% sure yet. We live about 1.5 from Niagara Falls and we may do a weekend trip there. My birthday falls on Thanksgiving weekend, so wherever we go it will probably be busy.

Not 100% sure yet. We live about 1.5 from Niagara Falls and we may do a weekend trip there. My birthday falls on Thanksgiving weekend, so wherever we go it will probably be busy.
We were at disney this past thanksgiving. I was very worried about crowds but it turned out to be totally do-able with a little patience and planning. If this trip report is well-received (and I have time) perhaps I should write that one too!

I just found your report! I haven't read all of yet but I wanted to say hello! I love your idea! We are going in September to celebrate my 40th this year! And I might have to steal your idea....

Also...
IMG_0699_zpsyo1cipsc.jpg
I totally have that same bag! I love love love it! My mom got me the matching backpack as well.

I just found your report! I haven't read all of yet but I wanted to say hello! I love your idea! We are going in September to celebrate my 40th this year! And I might have to steal your idea....

Also...

I totally have that same bag! I love love love it! My mom got me the matching backpack as well.

The 40 attractions idea actually was Alex's. He said we should do something special on my birthday trip and proposed 40 attractions for my 40th birthday. I keep teasing him that we will do 9 attractions for his 9th birthday trip this summer. And that bag is awesome. I've never been a big Vera Bradley fan but I think I understand why people like them so much now. The bag itself is durable, comfortable and very light weight.

Curious to see the rest of your "attractions" you'll get to on your visit! Happy Birthday :cake: ! You really got to see a lot at MK on your first day - we are staying at the Yacht Club for the first time in October and so excited to visit the pool :beach:. We've always admired it from the Boardwalk where we usually stay.

Curious to see the rest of your "attractions" you'll get to on your visit! Happy Birthday :cake: ! You really got to see a lot at MK on your first day - we are staying at the Yacht Club for the first time in October and so excited to visit the pool :beach:. We've always admired it from the Boardwalk where we usually stay.

:welcome: There are lots of good attractions to come! And storm along bay will not disappoint!

This was, by far, the nicest room I have ever stayed in

That room looks seriously amazing. The room itself and of course the fact that it is at the BC and the location within the BC...everything...fantastic!

Then, without my request, he frequently makes special versions of anything I showed interest in without the offending ingredients.

That is some seriously awesome customer service right there.

There's something about meeting the mouse that always makes me feel as joyful as a kid. Maybe that's why I love Disney so much. That and all the totally awesome details.

Agreed. Some people just don't get it but around here...we do :))

Feb 9: Attractions 9 & 10

So I woke up on our second day with significant aches and pains. And not just because I had reached the ripe old age of 40. Around Christmas time I had started having symptoms of arthritis in my hands that I knew were suspicious for rheumatoid arthritis. A week before our trip, my feet started to be stiff and sore too. In fact, I saw the rheumatologist the day before we left and he said exactly what I expected: "Could be viral but it's gone on a bit long for that. It's probably RA but you'll need more tests and more time." He gave me an Rx for some strong NSAIDs and we planned a bunch of tests and steroids for the following week (after my trip). He told me to take it easy (right) and stay off my feet as much as possible (right) and I silently decided to follow instructions just as soon as I got back from Disney. Well, my previous day's antics were catching up with me and I could barely walk when I tried to get out of bed that morning. The stiffness improves after some time so I planned ahead for this and just got up earlier. My mom was already up so I hobbled around watching TV in the living room and waiting for the NSAIDs to kick in. Then I woke Alex and we got ready to start our day. I suspected I might need a bit more down time than I had anticipated when I planned this trip and I privately worried that my 40 attractions plan was a bit ambitious. That said, I am an experienced Diser so I knew I could be efficient! I guess you'll just have to see if we make it.

Once I was hobbling a bit less (but still noticeably according to my mom who thought I was probably going to collapse if we left the room--she was wrong) we headed down to the boat dock and off to Hollywood Studios! Initially I had planned to leave earlier and rope drop RnRC by walking instead of taking the boat but that plan was clearly scrapped. Instead I rested comfortably on a friendship and we made our leisurely way past the Swolphin and on to DHS. We stopped for a Photo...

PhotoPass_Visiting_STUDIO_7944456721 by Emily Landon, on Flickr

And headed to our first fpp: Toy Story (attraction #9) Now, those of you who have arthritis of any kind will immediately realize that pulling on that little string repeatedly while shooting at targets is not a terrific early morning activity for someone with stiff and painful joints. But remember I had very little experience with this condition and so did not really plan for such limitations and my score reflected it. Alex beat all of us. I didn't even take a picture of my score because I couldn't even reach beaver level.

IMG_0818 by Emily Landon, on Flickr

IMG_0819 by Emily Landon, on Flickr

IMG_0824 by Emily Landon, on Flickr

We left TSMM and had a few minutes before our next fpp but I was determined to fit another attraction in especially now that I was anticipating additional rest time. On the way toward our next ride, we ran into Goofy (attraction #10) so we totally stayed to meet & greet.

PhotoPass_Visiting_STUDIO_7944480511 by Emily Landon, on Flickr

PhotoPass_Visiting_STUDIO_7944480512 by Emily Landon, on Flickr

PhotoPass_Visiting_STUDIO_7944480516 by Emily Landon, on Flickr

Alex is a big fan of the characters. He used to be a bigger fan and we have a bunch of lovely videos from past trips where he met characters. For your viewing pleasure, I am including a link to one of my favorites on our youtube channel. It's from 2012 so Alex is quite a bit younger and still very cute, in my humble opinion.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter