ADRs?

• I like to reserve my diners in advance

Votes: 157 69.2%
  • I do not like to reserve my diners in advance

Votes: 70 30.8%

• Total voters
people complain about long lines at rides or hated having to do the "running of the bulls" to get Toy Story Fast passes
See, I had absolutely no problem with the legacy FP system. At least I knew I could get FPs for my family and I had an equal opportunity to do so as everyone else. Now, we haven't been on TSM the last 2 trips because the FPs are gone 60 days in advance.

The restaurants are the same way essentially. If things get booked up 180 days out, those of us who don't plan in advance don't really have a chance.

It would be nice to have some hybrid system where you can make advance reservations but the restaurants also have room to accommodate same day guests. It would basically be like in my medical office. You can make an appointment to see me 8 weeks in advance but if you wake up sick today, you can call and be seen right away.

See, I had absolutely no problem with the legacy FP system. At least I knew I could get FPs for my family and I had an equal opportunity to do so as everyone else. Now, we haven't been on TSM the last 2 trips because the FPs are gone 60 days in advance.

The restaurants are the same way essentially. If things get booked up 180 days out, those of us who don't plan in advance don't really have a chance.

It would be nice to have some hybrid system where you can make advance reservations but the restaurants also have room to accommodate same day guests. It would basically be like in my medical office. You can make an appointment to see me 8 weeks in advance but if you wake up sick today, you can call and be seen right away.

I am all for a hybrid type system (and even in liking ADRs I think 180 days is too far - especially since park hours can/and do change within that 180 window)

I guess with FP though it feels like you have an equal opportunity 180 days vs equal opportunity day of, but that required you being there for rope drop. Guess just more evidence that there are different styles of touring

I think if they remove some restaurants from ADRs (at least for lunch) and then even for the others keep a portion of the tables for day of/walk ups that could workd

Similarly, I think some rides should be removed from the FP system (those with queues not designed for it and with high capacity, like Pirates) so that there is more to do for people that didn't make FP+

I don't think it is silly - I mean, that is how the real world works right? Popular and/or fancy restaurants you need to make a reservation but if you are just going to Chili's (or Fridays or whatever) you just go and put your name in

Just like not all rides have Fastpass I don't think it is unreasonable for some restaurants to have ADRs and some not

And that is why I don't see it moving to all restaurants not having ADRs ... people complain about long lines at rides or hated having to do the "running of the bulls" to get Toy Story Fast passes ... well, how is hitting up rope drop to run to get in line for BOG or whatever. And with resort restaurants like 'Ohana's how would that work? Have to spend 1/2 your day outside of a park on line to eat there or to put your name in?

I think it would be wonderful if most people could walk up to most restaurants without an ADR and be sat within 30 mins but with the crowds the way they are I just don't see how that is realistic. I and for one would much rather stress about getting an ADR 180 days and then know if I have it or not than go into a day having no idea what will work out as far as where to eat and when
I totally agree. If Disney sees a problem with people canceling ADRs the day before then extend the time frame and up the charge per person.

I'm not 100% behind the ADR system. I see it's value for guaranteeing a character meal and we have used it for this. We have a rough plan for our holidays e.g. What park which day and which rides we'd like to do. Hubby and I liked the old FP system but we were younger and trying to get as many killer rides done in the one day was our thing. Now with our DD we're up for the rope drop and do as much as possible in the morning.
We're never 100% certain of a Florida trip and book 2-3 months in advance. Most Brits will scream when they read that.. Being full time workers we don't want to spend every free minute planning our trip to the minute. Last year I hunted a BOG ADR and got it. I was excited. And then on the day the cast member told me they had routine cancellations and we could have been seated in 15 mins.
I know lots of people love ADRs and they suit them so perhaps holding a more mixed % for walkins would balance it.

I
I think it would be wonderful if most people could walk up to most restaurants without an ADR and be sat within 30 mins but with the crowds the way they are I just don't see how that is realistic.
I agree with much of your post, except when you got to this part. There is a simple solution.

Imagine if the Magic Kingdom had enough TS dining capacity to meet demand!

If so, then it would be no big deal for guests to be seated within half an hour (most times, most days). There's no mystery. Disney knows exactly how many guests MK can hold, and what % would choose TS if it was available.

Now that's just crazy talk. :teeth:

Disney wants to create a sense of scarcity. That's part of how they justify very over-priced mediocre food. "The place is packed so it must be good." No, it's packed because it's a captive audience with no other choice. They've said on the show many times that very few Disney restaurants could survive if they were transported outside to the real world. Places like Tony's or Coral Reef or San Angel probably wouldn't last 6 months (based on the reviews).

On this we agree.

I will give credit and say that Disney food is at least better than many amusement parks. (the smallish, maybe at the beach, day-visit kind) Often the best options are tomato-crusted cardboard slices and soggy, half-raw fries. (fodder of shows like the Simpsons)

I should add, there was a time- not all THAT long ago (pre 2005-ish) where Disney offered a glimpse of the kind of quality that COULD be offered. Early on, we had some very good meals at Boma. At one point, the Kona Café had excellent coffee and very creative desserts. Every time we went, the chef had fun, new desserts!

I've also talked with a number of Disney chefs. I am confident that Disney has many talented chefs.

Have you ever seen the amazing cakes and custom creations Disney pastry chefs can make?

It used to be that at AKL you could have a chocolate menagerie delivered to your room for around $40-50. We did it once, and it was amazing. Handmade chocolate giraffes and elephants surrounded a multi-colored, hand painted chocolate AKL logo with fresh fruit. It was worth every penny!

I agree with much of your post, except when you got to this part. There is a simple solution.

If so, then it would be no big deal for guests to be seated within half an hour (most times, most days). There's no mystery. Disney knows exactly how many guests MK can hold, and what % would choose TS if it was available.

I get what you are saying though even if they tripled the number of TS restaurants there would still be 1 Be Our Guest, 1 Cinderella's Royal Table, 1 'Ohana, etc. ... I mean, they just added the Skipper's Canteen and it is often empty and they are begging people to go in (and I know there are reasons for that, but still, example of just adding seats doesn't mean people then get in wherever they want)

I will give credit and say that Disney food is at least better than many amusement parks.
For sure. I will vehemently defend Disney's food over other theme park food every day, and I have many times. Disney parks have some great food. There are things we look forward to eating there and I'm just talking about CS stuff as we don't do any TS meals there. I dread going to Six Flags or Hersheypark when it comes to meal time.

even if they tripled the number of TS restaurants there would still be 1 Be Our Guest, 1 Cinderella's Royal Table, 1 'Ohana, etc.
True, but if they tripled the number of restaurants (assuming they are decent), it would disperse the crowd and at least somewhat reduce demand on the existing locations. I've been to CRT. I've been to BOG. They were ok but I wouldn't go back. We did them for the experience of doing them. If we wanted a TS meal now, it would be nice to have other places to try, especially if there were not so difficult to get into.

True, but if they tripled the number of restaurants (assuming they are decent), it would disperse the crowd and at least somewhat reduce demand on the existing locations. I've been to CRT. I've been to BOG. They were ok but I wouldn't go back. We did them for the experience of doing them. If we wanted a TS meal now, it would be nice to have other places to try, especially if there were not so difficult to get into.

Oh, don't get me wrong - I am all for more table service options (and counter service for that matter) and one reason I was so excited that the Skipper Canteen opened. But there are still very crowded restaurants and ones that are pretty empty now, so just adding more doesn't mean that people would be able to get into anyone they want with max 30 min wait. yes, there would be more options for people who don't want to wait but there will still be some that would have a 2 hour+ wait even if there were 500 other options

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter